Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Games That Should Be MMOs

Comments

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Borderlands should be made into a MMORPG with a 18+ tag pretty please. The gane is really addictive and there's actually not that much to do to transform it into a MMO. It basically has all needed features allready, like good storyline, voiceovers, etc.
    Add some dungeons, make the world bigger, add some ressources to harvest and a crafting-system with random results like the current games items and voil

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Im a big fan of Beteshda and its all becouse of there superb solo rpgs serie TES. I realy dont think it would be wise for them to make TES into a MMO becouse it will never have the same impact as the solo game, like npcs with own life cycle or quests. How you want these implemented into MMO TES without NPCs with high AI would not be a real TES game anymore but i dont see how you put alot of NPCs into MMO with thousends of other players and Quests that immerse you into game with group of players.

Let Bethesda do what they are BEST at making SOLO GAMES.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by just1opinion

I agree with all the games the OP mentioned.....particularly Red Dead Redemption because I CRAVE a good western MMO.  But you missed ONE old game that I really think also needs to be in this list and that would be Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Otherwise, I'd say that's a perfect list.  I would play every one of those games!

I agree good western or VtMB would be awesome. I would also love seeing a MMO based on UNDERWORLD movies with VAMPIRES vs LYCANS.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

I would love to see OUTCAST MMO. Amazing world with very rich lore behind it. For those who never played this gem here is the link.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/153/153121p1.html

• MegaTommyMegaTommy Member UncommonPosts: 31

Mass Effect MMO would be interesting.

On the other hand, the reason why so many people love ME is because of the amazing characters and your personal relations with them. And well, it's pretty damn impossible to achieve similar atmosphere in a MMO game.

The Mass Effect universe is huge enough to become a MMO though.

I'm a dude. I do stuff.

• DienerDiener Member UncommonPosts: 17

I agree with everything cept TES. Me and a lot of people have talked this subject into the ground and it always comes back to the same thing, The Elders Scrolls is PERFECT just the way it is. I'm an avid MMO fan but I do not want to see TES made into an MMO, a massive persistant world just would not do it justice.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Whilst I've said a number of times recently that TES would likely be the industries biggest and best bet for a sandbox title,  my main fear regarding that would be that - it may be indestinguishable from the original game as  there would likely have to be some kind of balancing act.   You don't have to worry about balancing as much when its a single player game,  but once you get other players, and the possibility of PvP,  fairness comes into play,  and with that, changes in procedures including full loot, spell creation, enchantments,  etc.  Still, its our number one bet.

Fallout is in the works now... for the most part.  Looking forward to that.

I think Mass Effect should've been on the list,  and to be honest,  I see them making one in the not too distant future.  Perhaps some would say that would go against SWTOR in the sci-fi genre,  but I think if they keep the ME gameplay and TPS style mechanics, it would be different enough to garner a separate audience.

I'm not really a HALO fan,  but I'd like to see a Gears of War MMO.  Maybe with more polished mechanics as it seems with each iteration the control scheme is very cumbersome,  but the setting, story, and "factions" seem pretty cool.

As for Red Dead,  I think that would be in the same boat as a Grand Theft Auto MMO.  I'd rather see something more modern than something western.  Thats just me though.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I like Fallout and Elder Scrolls too much to want to see their names tarnished by some half-assed attempt at an MMO. In my opinion, no MMO developer could ever do these IPs justice.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

I agree with all but Halo.  Halo is too much about war.  An MMO needs area of downtime that doesn't really fit in Halo.

i would add borderlands and Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• AkruxAkrux Member UncommonPosts: 56

How about the top 5 movies that you would like to see as a MMORPG?

- Zombieland (for zombie lovers)

- Starship Troopers (for sci fi buffs)

- 28 Days Later (like Zombieland but darker)

- Harry Potter (for the magic user in all of us)

- Stargate (we came so close to having it)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Fallout: it might be ok depending on the implementation.

Halo & Deus EX: IMO, the translation from computer game to mmorpg would kill the flavor of it.

Red Dead Redemption:  IMO, it would need TOR like VO and cutscenes to do it justice.  But it's the best choice on the list.  Throw in comething like Civil war or the Mexican Revolution elements and now we are going good. 

The elder scrolls has lost me.  Not sure why, maybe just burned out on fantasy but it now longer works for me.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

Red Dead Redemption would be great.

After a couple of years when things got boring you could do a Firefly upgrade to renew interest.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

If Deus Ex could be done well, I would love to see it turned into an mmo.  Not sure one when they would set it, whether it was around Human Revolution, the Original, or Invisable War.  But if they could get the gameplay right, it could be a very cool mmo.

Fallout would certainally be interesting.  I will say it now, after months of complaint posts, I generally hate sandbox games and their fans(probably an unfair hate) but I think a mix of themepark and sandbox could work.  Perhaps having the sandbox bit being part of the end game.  It might also give a chance to flesh out parts of the United States not seen yet, or other parts of the world.

With Elder Scrolls I think a developer would have to find a way to make gameplay work like it does in the single player version, kind of like Darkfall, except the game succeeds instead of how that game did.  If it played like WoW it would be despised by a good chunk of the Elder Scroll fanbase.

Still, I would also like a Sci Fi mmo, not sure which would work.  I suppose theres StarCraft, but a major problem is, theres 3 races, and one of them would be rather tricky to deal with loot and such.  Mass Effect has the advantage of more races, and I suppose it could work.

• desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

• Mechwarrior/Battletech MMO with mechanics for territory conquest (Succession Wars) and unit management. It would be its ideal dimension. Puzzling that no one has put a hand on this.

• Dune MMO; with the caveat that few developers would have the ability and the finesse to translate its intrigue and baroque style on the screen.

• Rifts (Palladium RPG) or Shadowrun MMOs: mix fantasy, horror, cyberpunk sci-fi and post-apocalypse in coherent and fun-as-hell settings and you have a winner. Wonder again why no one still touched them...

• Dark Sun D&D MMO: the Dark Sun setting was one of the most brutal, mature and fascinating in the D&D lineup. It would make a perfect background for wars, intrigues and a welcome post-apocalyptic life. But any decent D&D MMO would be good, just for a change.

• Steampunk MMO: no name here but any would do.

An old wish of mine back in 2009 is now under development: Warhammer 40K. Too bad that what we know is already so disappointing. I know it'll be another heartbreak, another failed romance...

• Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65

Battletech

Forgotten Realms

The Elder Scrolls

Shadowrun

Warhammer 40k

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

None, stop making MMOs from IPs that already exist because then you are restricted to what is there and what you can make. But what you can make is always limited to what is there. You shoot yourself in the foot by using an already existing IP.

Make new MMOs with new IPs.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I think Elder Scrolls would benefit from just being multiplay co-op. No need to make it massive. Just make the enemies raise in difficulty with amount of players in the game.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Speaking of Red Dead Redemption...

ZOMBIES! 

Seriously, are the gaming companies of the world too stupid to notice that a zombie MMO not only would be a massive money maker, but also a great way to make a mainstream sandbox that made sense? 

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

1. A Star Wars Galaxies pre-CU/NGE should be made into an MMO with updated graphics.

2. Elder Scrolls Online would be awesome. I would bet my left pinky ZeniMax Online is already working on it.

3. Not a game but a Terminator MMO set in the future (Terminator Salavtion period or later) would be awesome. One giant server with battles all over the world betwen humans and machines would be fun.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by WhySoShort

Speaking of Red Dead Redemption...

ZOMBIES! 

Seriously, are the gaming companies of the world too stupid to notice that a zombie MMO not only would be a massive money maker, but also a great way to make a mainstream sandbox that made sense? 

Undead Labs is working on a Zombie MMO for the Xbox 360. It's an open-world surivival sandbox. The studio is led by Jeff Strain who was a co-founder of ArenaNet.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

These are all great games (except for Deux because I never played it).  However, once one of these gets made into an mmo, you'll likely not see a single player version of the game again. 

I agree Red Dead would make for an excellent mmo, but I dont think the IP has run its course yet, and Im more looking forward to the next entry. 

Im very against Elder Scrolls ever becoming an mmo.   As for Halo, its got plenty of multiplayer as it is.  Im not sure what you would do with that. 

Fallout might be the better choice out of all.  Its had a long life of single player, and it might actually lend itself pretty well to an mmo setting if done well.  So out of all of these, its probably the only one I really agree on. 

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

red dead would be great

ill stick with what the genra is pumping out sence sandbox mmo's are about dead / sigh

next top 5 theampark mmo's

he-man

thundercats

marvel --- done like a mmo ..not like DC

starship troopers

and finally!  thundarr the barbarian!

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Keep the Elder Scrolls outta the MMO space! Much of what makes TES great could not be duplicated in a mmo, especially the freedom that you are afforded. I wouldn't mind multiplayer options for TES since a small group of friends can come up with their own house rules for behavior, but opening up TES to mmos is just folly. If Bethesda wants to make a mmo, I'd say make a new IP for it.

I could use a similar argument for Fallout, but I actually think that IP would benefit from an mmo. Post apocolyptic environments aren't readily available in the mmo space, and I believe Fallout is a good enough IP to take up that space.

Palladium's Rift pen and paper game system would make for an excellent mmo if done right. Rift seriously blends a number of different genres, horror, sci-fi, fantasy, cyberpunk, and post apocolyptic. If someone took their time and spent a decent amount of cash on a Rift mmo, it would serve as a nice "catch-all" in terms of having something for everyone.

Halo, meh, it has the story elements to make a mmo, but I'm not sure how well it would translate into the mmo space. If Halo becomes a mmo, what's to stop a CoD or a BF mmo?

Deus Ex and Red Dead Redemption might be almost too niche for the mmo space, imo.

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

Elder Scrolls would have to be PvE only in my mind.  PvP in skill based games means one thing; nerf bats!  Very tough to balance.

Besides, I'm not sure I could get used to teabagging as opposed to being called an N'Wah. image

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I didn't see anything that stated that these must be computer games so here goes:

1) RuneQuest

2) CyberPunk/Shadow Run (very similar)

3) Battletech

4) Kult (with 18+ age restriction or don't bother)

5) Empire of the Faded Suns

There are tons of outstanding RPGs from the glory days of p'n'p that deserve a shot at greatness.  I bet a couple of those IPs could be picked up for a song these days too.