Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP only?

BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

Is EVE PvP only?  Or are there PvE servers where you don't have to worry about people killing you?

Comments

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

There is only one server in EVE. Typically there are between 20k - 50k people on, at the same time, daily. It's one, big universe. So there are no "pvp" or "pve" only servers.

No place is safe in EVE from potential PvP, however there are some solar systems/regions that are safer than others. Specifically: each system in the EVE universe ("New Eden") has a security rating. The higher the security rating, the stronger the penalty for attacking someone unprovoked (or who isn't at war with your corp).

For example, if someone attacks me in a 1.0 security system (the highest possible rating), the local police force (called Concord) will destory their ship within seconds of that person firing upon me. Conversely, if the secutiry rating of a system is 0.0 to 0.4, I can be attacked at any time, without Concord intervention.

Bottom line is that no place in EVE is safe, but you can mitigate that danger significantly depending on where you play and whose corp you join. For example, my friend has played EVE for 4 years and has only once been involved in pvp.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

For you, what's the difference between getting attacked by, or attacking, an entity with artificial Intellegence, or a real person?

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

The difficulty and the gloating.  I won't get T-bagged by an NPC.  Also, it's usually my control whether I get attacked by an NPC in an MMORPG or not.  I just don't have to get too close.  The agro range of players is the entire area of the game.  They'll hunt for me.  A player will also only attack me if they know they can win.  NPCs I can usually win or figure a way to escape.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Boge
    The difficulty and the gloating.  I won't get T-bagged by an NPC.  Also, it's usually my control whether I get attacked by an NPC in an MMORPG or not.  I just don't have to get too close.  The agro range of players is the entire area of the game.  They'll hunt for me.  A player will also only attack me if they know they can win.  NPCs I can usually win or figure a way to escape.

If you don't do something to p'ss other people off in the chat or the forums etc and keep staying in a NPC-corp you can fly missions all day long in high-sec without ever being engaged by another player. Also, don't carry millions and billions worth of stuff in a cheap untanked hauler, so you don't look like a juicy target.

Problem solved. EvE is playable 100% safe if you choose to.

I'm playing this game for six years allready and never been engaged randomly in high-sec by anyone. Not even while flying around in faction-battleships with a fitting worth some 2 bil ISK.

EDIT: People won't engage you in high-sec aslong as the loot you might drop isn't covering for the attackers expenses. CONCORD kills everyone, who is attacking another player not at war with.
    So if you're flying a battleship with standard T2 equipment or cheap faction-fitting you're simply not worth it.

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

So what you're trying to say is that there isn't immature ganking in this game?  People can do it, but they don't?  Or is it just set up so that it's not really profitable for them?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I have been researching this long and hard and it is as they say, keep in high sec space 0.5-1 and be careful what loot you carry then you wil not be attacked unless someone has it in for you, the bigger question is that pve in eve is more limited and a lot of feedback advises missions can get very boring.  You can compare missions to dailies and the complexes as instances - although a lot of players seem to multi box the instances to make them more fun, so many are not soloable without a fare whack of time to spare tanknig dmg.

I still cant decide if i want to comit to a subscription lol, working on it.  The issue for me is that I was/am addicted to being in the top tier of player, and you wont get there without pvping ultimately :)

Question I do have for experienced ever's, what do you suggest as a safe amount of loot to carry to avoid getting ganked? or rather what would a typical player in a mid level/average ship lose by ganking you?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

So what you're trying to say is that there isn't immature ganking in this game?  People can do it, but they don't?  Or is it just set up so that it's not really profitable for them?

None of the above (depending on your definition of "immature"). The great majority of ganking in empire is done for profit. The equation is quite simple: if it will take x number of people y time and z ISK to gank you, then they wont usually bother unless the expected profit (over and above what they might otherwise get for their time) from ganking you is greater than (x * y)-z ISK.

In short: if you run around empire in low EHP fits, always fitting extremely expensive modules and taking no precautions, then sooner or later, you're going to get ganked. If you use a discrete minimum of expensive stuff and take a few basic precautions, then you're very unlikely to be molested.

Certain activities can modify this equation. If you're the kind of person who goes around shooting his mouth off about stuff, then pretty quick you're going to attract unwelcome attention. There are plenty of people in EVE who can and will make it their mission to punish people whom they think deserve it. Even if you're not this kind of person, simply being in the same corp as one can cause you trouble (this is not an uncommon scenario).

However the community as a whole is generally more than happy to help advise you how to minimise these risks, and as said, you can reduce them to a level where they're not a serious issue. Just never, ever forget that when you undock a ship another player can possibly destroy it if he has sufficient motivation to do so.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Eve is all about risk vs reward.

In high security space a person wont typically attack you without a reason to attack you, because they will lose their ship to CONCORD (NPC police).

You have to be worth the cost of losing a ship and worth the cost of losing security status.

You'd need some pretty shiny things on your ship or in your ship for some dude to attack you.

There are some exceptions - some nefarious folks like to use a destroyer to gank anyone in a Retriever.  It takes only a few days to get the skills to do it so and they are pretty damn cheap.  I've been attacked on one such occasion (and survived), and I suspect the person that did it was the alt of a local miner, so again, no one will typically attack you without a reason and there were somethings I could of done to reduce my risk which I do now -I'm always at the keyboard, I always align to my station when I mine, I always keep one eye on "visitors", I always warp out when my gut says to, and I have my mining system completely bookmarked (it helps with mining too).

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

People can and will, but usually if it's not worth the amount of ISK they could potentially lose, they won't.

There are plenty of asshats in any game you go to, and EVE is no exception.  But like others have said, it is a risk vs reward game.  If you're smart, you can go your ENTIRE life in EVE and never get ganked in high-sec.

But also, you may find that you like EVE's PvP if you give it a shot.  Low-sec is where pirates roam, and 0.0 security space is where big alliances compete to control space and set up infrastructure.  If you give it a shot, you may find that the adrenaline is worth it.  Since there's always a risk of losing what you've fought hard for, fights are that much more intense.  I find that it's the only game to give me that old-school thrill in PvP.