Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo III: "No Mods, Online Only, Cash Trades"

Comments

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Thane

it's quite simple, if i wanted to play diablo one or two, i'd do so.

i don't.

Then why are you so interested in Diablo 3?

It's just as much of a Diablo 2 clone as most of the other Action RPGs coming out.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by empyros

AH items can be bought for in-game gold as well. So I fail to see how it's "nickle and diming" -- Blizzard has simply eliminated the farmers and made it easier for players to make petty cash in a blue moon. 

Honestly, I think most of you here are acting like screaming manchildren. The only real issue here is with the internet play which is obviously a bummer. 

Are you going to be selling your epic drops for in-game gold or for real cash?  The in-game AH will end up being a dumping ground for trash that can't be sold for actual money.  And as far stopping farming, why should it when there's now a legitimate place to sell what you farm, all with Blizzard's blessing?  Do you really think this is going to put and end to asian farming houses?  This will encourage them because now they have a much larger customer base to sell to, rather than just the pitiful scum that used to have to supply them with credit card numbers.  End result will be the same, except now Blizzard gets to put a small tax on their profits.  Instead of fighting them, Blizzard has made them partners.  Win? 

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by empyros

AH items can be bought for in-game gold as well. So I fail to see how it's "nickle and diming" -- Blizzard has simply eliminated the farmers and made it easier for players to make petty cash in a blue moon. 

Honestly, I think most of you here are acting like screaming manchildren. The only real issue here is with the internet play which is obviously a bummer. 

Are you going to be selling your epic drops for in-game gold or for real cash?  The in-game AH will end up being a dumping ground for trash that can't be sold for actual money.  And as far stopping farming, why should it when there's now a legitimate place to sell what you farm, all with Blizzard's blessing?  Do you really think this is going to put and end to asian farming houses?  This will encourage them because now they have a much larger customer base to sell to, rather than just the pitiful scum that used to have to supply them with credit card numbers.  End result will be the same, except now Blizzard gets to put a small tax on their profits.  Instead of fighting them, Blizzard has made them partners.  Win? 

Not to mention giving even more motivation to hijack and steal from other people's accounts, scam, bot, exploit, etc.

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

I really think that Blizzard needs to start thinking of the players instead of themselves, after all when they have no players they have no job.

What Blizzard Fanmass should do is send a message, stand up and be heard.  (works for EvE)

The loudest sound for Blizzard (it seems) is the clatter of coin so maybe if you take that noise away they would pay attention.

There are plenty of good up-an-coming development teams that could use some help from the masses. Toss a couple month sub-fee's into something new and fresh even if it's just temp.  It's a win win for you and the communitee.

Games like Torchlight , very similar to D3 without all the W8ing and DRAMA.  Just good, fun, gaming for about 20$

Other option would include

Dungeons and Dragons Online (No-Sub) fun game, easy to get into, friendly communitee.

Guild Wars (No-Sub) fast, fun, easy, balanced pvp, many good qualities in this choice.

StarTrek Online (moving toward no-sub) fresh content, continued improvements, making changes for the players.

Just because Blizzard is the biggest doesn't mean they are the best.

I'm not trying to hi-jack , im just trying to say that players needs are changing and some dev teams are keeping up and some are not.

Qe3+ Kxe3

Your move Blizzard, what you don't want to hear is, mate in three moves, lol

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225

no mods - d2 had mods and approximately 10 ppl played them. next.
    always on - whoever reads this has internet. next.
    real money auction - with the new quest rules theres no farming. noone's gonna get rich.

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

My response to the title of this thread.

No Mods, Offline play / Lan play, And a cash shop?

Cool. No interest in this game. Or any other Blizzard product.

Torchlight 2 will get my money instead, and to be quite honest, Guildwars 2 and Secret World pretty much have my interest over anything else Blizzard might be producing.

Other companies are stepping up to the plate. Blizzard might as well be dead to me.

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Why not just port it to consoles as well.......

So I can't play the game at all in offline?

The game is being ported to console as well lol..

• gruntreapergruntreaper Member Posts: 29

I bet the hackers/gold farmers had a field day when they heard about this game.And the scary thing about it is if this is a success all games will follow the same model,which would put a dark cloud over mmos:(

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by gruntreaper

I bet the hackers/gold farmers had a field day when they heard about this game.And the scary thing about it is if this is a success all games will follow the same model,which would put a dark cloud over mmos:(

it's not an mmo.

Considering you need to be online it might aswell be

• DaggitDaggit Member Posts: 16

I think its time to boycot Blizzard myself.

Vote with your money and stay away from D3 fansites, it just adds to their profits, and maybe one day Blizzard will relize you cant dangle carrots like this without the animals getting pissed off and striking out at the holder of the carrot.

Tourch Lights lead dev predicted this at a game show this year, and said he had inside knowledge that it wouldnt be out till 2012.
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/max-schaefer-says-no-diablo-3-in-2011

GameStar editor Michael Graf spoke at gamescom 2011 with Max Schaefer, head of Runic Games. The primary topic was the upcoming action roleplaying game Torchlight 2. But Diablo 3 came also up in the interview. After all, Blizzard’s action RPG is at the same time role model and competitor for Torchlight 2. Furthermore, Schaefer was director of Blizzard Entertainment until 2003 before becoming co-founder of Flagship Studios and later taking lead of Runic Games. In his time at Blizzard, Schaefer was involved significantly in the development of the Diablo series. You should know that much and also that Schaefer still has good contacts to Blizzard when he is saying: “Diablo 3 won’t be coming in 2011, but in the first quarter of 2012 at the earliest”.
    Naturally, Schaefer does not reveal if there is a direct source for this information. Nevertheless, the industry veteran feels confident that a release of the action role playing game within the year is not possible. Schaefer does not believe that Blizzard can finish the beta test and the evaluation until christmas. Furthermore, there is no official release date for Diablo 3. In that respect, Blizzard has always held off. But lately the end of 2011 has been seen as a quite safe period of time.
    This just proves that Blizzard is using the media and drawing on peoples emotions for finacial gain.

They knew that D3 had NO! chance of making it out this year, but also saw the chance to market the game to a ridiculous level, for years, and jumped at the chance for more $.

I understand it a business, but its getting dirty. Its getting dishonest. Its all about the bottom line. Dont let them lie to you about quality or polish. "Its done when its done" really means "We will release it when its finacially perfect for us to do so given the current market trends and where our others products are finacially too".
  • MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Funny how all supporters of RMAH here on mmorpg are looking forward to sell thing and earn money, but where are the buyers ?  i havent seen single post to to admit they will use it to buy power :P ... come on guys, we know u will buy too :P . Personaly I will not touch D3 but I hope you will be entertained for long time - less cheaters in other games.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by Malevil

Funny how all supporters of RMAH here on mmorpg are looking forward to sell thing and earn money, but where are the buyers ?  i havent seen single post to to admit they will use it to buy power :P ... come on guys, we know u will buy too :P . Personaly I will not touch D3 but I hope you will be entertained for long time - less cheaters in other games.

I just think it's laughable that anyone on here thinks they're going to make money selling stuff. The market will be controlled by the gold farming/selling industry simply due to weight of numbers. Many thousands of accounts manned by cheap laborers and/or prisoners 24/7 for items > the average player.

This is nothing but Blizzard legitimizing the gold farmers we all (claim to) hate in order to make a profit on it themselves. Just sickening.

10 gold also says this won't stop trading from happening outside their little money-making scheme due to players/companies not wanting to pay the fees involved.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Robokapp

i imagine people who buy from cash shops will buy from the AH too. supply and demand.

Obviously. But I think 9/10 of ppl who now realy want to use RMAH just to sell, will end up with buying things too, its human nature. They will do first step - use RMAH - to do second one - buy - will be much easier.

• darkraidersdarkraiders Member Posts: 1

After Activison bought Blizzard i was sure something like this would happen sooner or later after all Activison don't care about the fans they just care about how to make more money.

Now all that's missing is them announcing they will release D3 on consoles something i'm near 100% sure gonna happen.

After all it's a way for activision to make more money -_-

I come across an interesting read just now bout diablo 3:)

http://daeity.blogspot.com/2011/08/random-thoughts-about-diablo-3.html

Originally posted by gruntreaper

I come across an interesting read just now bout diablo 3:)

http://daeity.blogspot.com/2011/08/random-thoughts-about-diablo-3.html

It's also going to be amusing when the IRS starts tracking people down and giving them an audit for failing to report their profit from their RMAH sales.

• nybratnybrat Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by nybrat

1) Welcome to year 2011, if you're not online, to bad for you. News flash, you can't play GW2 either then.

Difference is, GW2 doesn't even have a single player mode.  Why do people keep acting like D3 is an MMO?  The Rock Paper Shotgun article is right, and it IS a problem, and the fact that you compare D3 to GW2 shows you simply don't understand that problem.

Why didn't you quote the rest of my post, there is your answer to your single player offline mode.

But did i compare D3 and GW2? Yes, the only thing i wrote was that both games require you to be online to play. And thats it. Antoher question, what stops you from playing a MMO single player, I know some who do? Swtor will also have endgame for singleplayer, so SWTOR is now not a MMO?

But to answer you question, yes I act like D3 is a MMO. Mmorpg.com thinks D3 is a MMO. I think its an MMO. If games like Dragonnest, Vindicus and even Star Trek is a MMO, then yea, why is D3 not a MMO then? What should we call em then? Small-instance-online-multiplayer-games-with-a-MMO-lobby?

But since I/we don't understand the problem, please explain it to me?

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by Coman

Originally posted by Celcius

All the cash auction house means to me is that I will now make money playing Diablo 3. Sweet.

ACtually no, I doubt you will. By including it into the game Blizzard made it almost useless at the same time. Because now instead of just a select few that dared to go on e-bay to sell that elite weapon now everyone can sell that elite weapon. Making the items worthless and poeple would be less interested to farm them. Might still be some high end items that are like REALLLY rare, but doubt it will be a huge market for that, but some money might be gained from selling those and someone has some nice pocket money, but doubt the appeal to farm them is there.

I love how people make excuses for Blizzard as they attempt to put limitations on games.  I don't see how any of these new ideas are good.  What happened to just being able to play a game?  Blizzard zombies, GO!

vvvvvvvvvvv

1. most games out there can not be (legally) modded! Not sure why it suddenly a problem in Diablo 3.

2. always online is a crappy thing true and failed for UBISOFT. This is really the only bad thing and people should complain about that. However most people almost always have an internet connection and simply can not see the problem.

3. Things where being sold anyway and really this only affects you if you play online a lot with poeple who you do not know. I believe many folks will either play alone or with friend and family.

These are not excuses for Blizzard, but simply truths as to why people would not care one bit for your complains. Simply because your problems are not problems for them. Well some of them are simply blizzard zombies prolly, but the majority not.

So unless you a modding addict (or the game sucks without mods), you do not have a steady internet connection and play a lot online with random poeple and you have problems with the action then yes.

However my guess is most people do not care for Modding, the game will be polished enough when released have a they have a steady internet connection and simply play alone or with friend thus they have no problem what so ever.

Are you from another planet? Or lived under a rock? Many games can be modded LEGALLY well know example is dungeon siege, titan quest and elder scroll serie is famous for it many fps SHOOTERS are famous for it and list go on.

And thats problem people well most of them dont care dont know dont understand and just blindly take whatever all these companys implement, mainly take away your freedom or make mony out of all of you. For me reason enough not to buy any games from EA-Ubisoft-blizzard and many others. If i buy a hack and slash i want network play solo play without intener connection involved or mods to enrich the game and most importend no real money involved thats the real evil.

But im free to choose NOT buying this game and your free to give up your freedom to play such games:P

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

1) Welcome to year 2011, if you're not online, to bad for you. News flash, you can't play GW2 either then.

Difference is, GW2 doesn't even have a single player mode.  Why do people keep acting like D3 is an MMO?  The Rock Paper Shotgun article is right, and it IS a problem, and the fact that you compare D3 to GW2 shows you simply don't understand that problem.

Thats the problem with most here and all over gameworld they just dont have clue what there talking about or difference between D3 and for example GW2, its SAD but the truth im affraid:(

@Nybrat

Mmorpg.com can say or think what they want calling some games mmo's there still 100% WRONG with some games there not even close to what and mmo is.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Why didn't you quote the rest of my post, there is your answer to your single player offline mode.

But did i compare D3 and GW2? Yes, the only thing i wrote was that both games require you to be online to play. And thats it. Antoher question, what stops you from playing a MMO single player, I know some who do? Swtor will also have endgame for singleplayer, so SWTOR is now not a MMO?

But to answer you question, yes I act like D3 is a MMO. Mmorpg.com thinks D3 is a MMO. I think its an MMO. If games like Dragonnest, Vindicus and even Star Trek is a MMO, then yea, why is D3 not a MMO then? What should we call em then? Small-instance-online-multiplayer-games-with-a-MMO-lobby?

Personally, I don't care how people choose to label D3.  MMO, non-MMO -- I just couldn't care less.  What I do care about is that they are offering a single-player experience that requires you to be online.  There's no good justification for this, regardless of how Blizzard tries to spin it. 

Now normally, it wouldn't matter because I'm almost always connected anyway.  ALMOST.  A few weeks ago my modem died and needed to be replaced so I ended up being offline for a week.  Had I been playing an actual MMO where the content was offered soley online, I'd just accept it and play one of the other games I have available that has no need for me to be online.  If I'd been a D3 customer, I'd be out of luck and wouldn't be able to run it at all.  It doesn't matter that the game resides on my hard drive (that's correct isn't it? -- it's not just a client that we would be installing), I'd paid full price for it and I wasn't intending to play multiplayer anyway.  Yet I'd still be cut off because of the idiotic requirement that I have an internet connection for a game that doesn't need it.

That's the problem with it.  Not the it's been labelled as an MMO, but that even it's single player elements are being treated as if it were, when it's absolutely unnecessary to do so.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I didn't quote the entire post because I was only responding to the incorrect portion where you likened D3 to GW2, and sort of sent your argument screaming into the abyss.

I shouldn't have to explain it to you.  MMORPG can categorize the game however they like, it is not broadly accepted that D3 is an MMO because it does not fit the definition of one.  You can both be wrong, but in MMORPG.com's case, at least I know they're probably doing it because they want hits.  You're doing it because someone else did it.  

If you get disconnected from a true MMO, there may be some way to get back online in time to help your friends, or more to the point, there might be time for your friends to save your DC'd ass, preventing you from losing all of your progress.  In D3, you will not have that option.  Blizzard seems to be making gaming more of a chore than a pastime.  The why is not for me to say, though I do feel that Blizzard itself is an obsessively paranoid company who is afraid of losing even a fraction of a cent to torrents and the like, even though lesser known companies take that chance and have far more to lose.

Diablo is an online multiplayer RPG.  MMO's do not have lobbies, for one thing.  The idea of a MASSIVELY multiplayer environment is that it is a persistent world.  Many current MMO's don't even fit under that umbrella, but they're called MMO's because MMO's sell and advertisers are smarter than people think, proper definitions and common sense be damned.  There's nothing massive about a lobby system where you enter a game with 2 or 3 other people, with no impact on the rest of the game or its players.  

Whether or not you solo in the massively persistent world has no bearing on whether or not it is an MMO, by the way.

I have my doubts that you'll understand it this time either, but I'm going to give you some credit.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Personally, I don't care how people choose to label D3.  MMO, non-MMO -- I just couldn't care less.  What I do care about is that they are offering a single-player experience that requires you to be online.  There's no good justification for this, regardless of how Blizzard tries to spin it. 

Why is it they need to justify anything to you? They've given their reasons.

He gave his reasons in the section you snipped out.  Why have an online requirement for a game that doesn't need it?  Why have an online requirement for a game that you may want to play in a hotel or relative's house that does not currently have an internet connection for one reason or another?

The whole "everyone should have internet and stop whining" crowd takes a very simple minded look at things.  Just look at it this way.. when you're playing a single player mode in a game and you get disconnected, this is what most people call a CRASH, not a feature.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Groovydutch
    Originally posted by Coman Originally posted by Celcius

Are you from another planet? Or lived under a rock? Many games can be modded LEGALLY well know example is dungeon siege, titan quest and elder scroll serie is famous for it many fps SHOOTERS are famous for it and list go on.
    And thats problem people well most of them dont care dont know dont understand and just blindly take whatever all these companys implement, mainly take away your freedom or make mony out of all of you. For me reason enough not to buy any games from EA-Ubisoft-blizzard and many others. If i buy a hack and slash i want network play solo play without intener connection involved or mods to enrich the game and most importend no real money involved thats the real evil.
    But im free to choose NOT buying this game and your free to give up your freedom to play such games:P

Your freedom exists when you get to choose to buy or to not buy a game. Someone who buys the game exercises the same amount of freedom as you when you don't buy the game.

Being able to choose these games based on their features is probably the best example of a free market economy we'll ever see here in the U.S. You have two products that are very similar, but they diverge on some key features. Blizzard isn't going to sue Runic Studios and Runic Studios obviously isn't going to sue Blizzard, regardless of the similarity of their products. They are competing on the merits of their products and that's it. They aren't even bad mouthing each other. I wish the rest of the technology sector of our economy (and a lot of other sectors for that matter) could operate with the same idea of competing on the merits of your product and not the skill of your lawyers.

Just ignore Bethesda, Interplay and Masthead when looking at companies suing each other.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

He gave his reasons in the section you snipped out.  Why have an online requirement for a game that doesn't need it?  Why have an online requirement for a game that you may want to play in a hotel or relative's house that does not currently have an internet connection for one reason or another?
    The whole "everyone should have internet and stop whining" crowd takes a very simple minded look at things.  Just look at it this way.. when you're playing a single player mode in a game and you get disconnected, this is what most people call a CRASH, not a feature.

It's not a single player game. It does require an online connection. It operates like an mmorpg - the monsters, loot tables, etc. are server side, not client side. The single player mode exists as an option only, the entire game is designed around the idea of multiple players and a massive number of players interacting through the auction house.

If you're afraid your connection will go down, don't play it. If you're going someplace with no connection, you can't play it.

If that is not what you want, do not buy the game and do not play it. It's not going to change, no matter how much you get on the internet and try to prove how Blizzard is wrong for designing the game that way. They will still sell a minimum of 3 million copies...probably a lot more than that. In short, get over it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

I guess the people in this thread dont believe rampant hacking to be "justified". Or maybe they were the people hacking D2 and now they are upset that they cant do the same to D3.

Diablo 2 was hacked to hell and back and Blizzard is trying to prevent that with Diablo 3.

I guess Blizzard is stupid for thinking ahead and attempting to prevent hackers, cheaters and thieves. What WERE they thinking?!