Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Four Player limit on group size has me worried

ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I am concerned about the limitation on group size in TOR. This will be a bad feature if there is no way to group easily with more than four people. The 6 man group has been a flexible tool, and though it can be a bummer to fill those groups sometimes, for people who have more than 3 friends there better be some way to not have to say, "sorry, guess you have to go do class story while we run this." It doesn't have to be there at launch, but sometime in the future this will have to be addressed I think or the game could suffer.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Comments

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

I agree. I don't understand why they would limit the groups in the first place.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by ignore_me

I am concerned about the limitation on group size in TOR. This will be a bad feature if there is no way to group easily with more than four people. The 6 man group has been a flexible tool, and though it can be a bummer to fill those groups sometimes, for people who have more than 3 friends there better be some way to not have to say, "sorry, guess you have to go do class story while we run this." It doesn't have to be there at launch, but sometime in the future this will have to be addressed I think or the game could suffer.

You can say this about any group size.

If you have 7 friends and try to run a 5 man what do you ?

If you have 9 friends what do you do?

Its a case of "cant please everyone" now I agree 4 is a low number but it is a number that can work quite nicely if the content is designed right.

• Ebil_PiwatEbil_Piwat Member Posts: 208

It's Herioc Star Warsy combat, not stand about the space port spamming L42 BH LFG, PSTimage

Besides, you can solo most of the game with your companion anyhow

SWTOR. Face it, in the Scooby Doo Mystery Solving Van of coolness, this game is Velma. In this current MMO climate it has about as much chance for survival as a group of inquisitive teenagers in a 1980s slasher flick. -Tardcore May, 2011

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by i_own_u

Yeah, I agree. I can't see any issues with 500 people doing a mission together.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I plan to play solo or as a trio primarily but four does seem a small number for group size?

I liked DaoC group size at eight, that just seemed best to me.  But it is all so relative, I do hope there is some way to form a raid or have more than four if you want to though.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Kothoses

Originally posted by ignore_me
    You can say this about any group size.

If you have 7 friends and try to run a 5 man what do you ?

If you have 9 friends what do you do?

Its a case of "cant please everyone" now I agree 4 is a low number but it is a number that can work quite nicely if the content is designed right.

Yeah, I get that, but does the 7/9 man situation happen all that often? The group dynamics are different there, but a group of 6 friends who play together frequently may have issues with this system. Shouldn't there be a way to circumvent this such as eight man groups that can be buffered with companions?

• Argo951Argo951 Member Posts: 123

Most games have a 5man group...I dont see how 4man is a big deal?

• JarodDJarodD Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by i_own_u

SWTOR doesn't have scaling instances, so they had to set a limit on group size for design purposes. They could have set it higher, but it still would have had a limit.

There are a couple of interesting points supporting a 4-person group size. It matches the number of classes, so you could spread around group buffs such that the ideal group is exactly one member of each class. The other thing that comes to mind is that you can use companions to fill in spots, so two players can theoretically run instances. Not sure how important either point is though.

The big downside is the relative number of tanks and healers needed. Most people tend to lean toward damage dealers, so reducing the relative need for damage dealers could be problematic. I'm hoping that the companion system will encourage more people to run tanks and healers as they will be at less of a disadvantage for solo leveling than is typical in some MMORPGs.

• EpicValorEpicValor Member UncommonPosts: 7

I have no problem with there being a 4-man group limit.  If you want to do the group content, it should make putting together a PUG easier.  Besides, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing a 3 player group + companion if you don't want to wait.

The way they describe DPS only advanced classes makes them pretty much pointless to play just to do dps in group play.  I think people might migrate towards ACs that have a tank, or healing tree, just to have options for grouping.  Which could possibly make it easier to group.

• tehpwnertehpwner Member Posts: 18

I don't mind the group size being limited to 4 players since I usually run with a small group anyway.

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

I'm sure I'll be corrected with someone who has seen them enough to know when and where.. but.. 4 man groups sorta remind me of .. Han, Chewie, Luke and Leia. :) .. And if you ever noticed, if those 4 werent together, they typically had their "companions" with them,  R2-D2, C-3PO, Jar jar Binks (har har haha)  So the basic 4 group thing seems well in lore maybe?

But in any case, I like the idea cause it is easier for grouping.  I have numerous friends who dont mind what so ever waiting a turn for help or something.  Im not a hardcore player who has to keep leveling fast or I feel like I'm wasting my time so I like small group sizes. I just really REALLY hope they dont put some thing in the game that rates players and their equipment  in a group and then people are like.. "We won't be able to do it with this guy.. kick him out."  Its annoying in games when in order to GET the stuff, you need the raid groups but then they dont want that player who will make it difficult for them.  Sorry to ruin how easy your game is? ( haha. ) .. As always, opinions here, be nice! :) 

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

I think they are pushing to have each class worth more. healers and tanks will probably both do decent amounts of damage. it sucks having to deal with 30 million DPS and no tanks or healers

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Odds are it's 3 people more than you need to play through 90% of the games content, so no worries.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DerebusDerebus Member Posts: 54

Like the other guy said, It's in the design, maybe content not revealed may hold more players, but some instances just don't make sense with too many players.

Future: WoD, SWTOR, Arche Age, Tera (maybe), GW2.
    Present: None.
    Past: Eve, RIFT, UO, bunch of F2P crap.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

It will be intersting to see how this plays out for the entire game. Flashpoints is the place where the 4 will matter the most. Those are dungeon instances that can take hours and should require teamwork. And there are not that many yet. Only 5 per side for sure. The rest of the content is a combo of open world and short or small story instances. Not a lot of teamwork realy, except for the group story chains.

From what we have seen so far. Questing in the open world requires you to go to an open area and kill x as a bonus quest. Then find the opening to your story area and enter solo or with your group. So if you have to, you could have two groups going to the same area, But each group would enter the final stage of the story quest in their own instance. Complete that part and then exit back out to the open world with everyone.

It is not the same as larger groups. But it at least will allow you to play with your friends for most of the quest. Just not the story part. Also, there are heroic areas, but two groups in that area may cause problems with who gets credit for kills. Maybe they will allow raids to all get credit for heroic areas?

With the many different types of quests, we will have to see it work before we can judge. There are the class quests, open world quests, open world group story quests, heroic areas and flashpoints. The group size of 4 will make it easier on many, but more difficult if you have a large group of firends. At least you will be on vent and can BS even if you aren't in the same area.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

[quote][i]Originally posted by artemisentr4[/i] [b]It will be intersting to see how this plays out for the entire game. Flashpoints is the place where the 4 will matter the most. Those are dungeon instances that can take hours and should require teamwork. And there are not that many yet. Only 5 per side for sure. The rest of the content is a combo of open world and short or small story instances. Not a lot of teamwork realy, except for the group story chains.   From what we have seen so far. Questing in the open world requires you to go to an open area and kill x as a bonus quest. Then find the opening to your story area and enter solo or with your group. So if you have to, you could have two groups going to the same area, But each group would enter the final stage of the story quest in their own instance. Complete that part and then exit back out to the open world with everyone.   It is not the same as larger groups. But it at least will allow you to play with your friends for most of the quest. Just not the story part. Also, there are heroic areas, but two groups in that area may cause problems with who gets credit for kills. Maybe they will allow raids to all get credit for heroic areas?   With the many different types of quests, we will have to see it work before we can judge. There are the class quests, open world quests, open world group story quests, heroic areas and flashpoints. The group size of 4 will make it easier on many, but more difficult if you have a large group of firends. At least you will be on vent and can BS even if you aren't in the same area. [/b][/quote]

So can you create a raid group for the content I highlighted?

• they have not said if everyone in a raid group would get credit when doing quests out in the open world but even if they do, the content is meant with the 4 player parties in mind, so i imagine the content would be quite easy with more players.  the only open world content we have heard of involving raid groups is for world bosses, where daniel erickson talked about how he put together a 10-man raid group to kill a world boss on dromund kaas

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by naraku209

I think they are pushing to have each class worth more. healers and tanks will probably both do decent amounts of damage. it sucks having to deal with 30 million DPS and no tanks or healers

Very good point :). Not to mention I do notice a lot of the time people doing the "have 4/6, need " all the time in most popular mmos out  now. I think having a smaller group size will allow people to  get instances/group content done with less wait (as a lot of people dont have a lot of time to sit and wait fer 30min/hour to get groups together too). I just hope they dont add dungeon/instace finders to the game.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

4 man groups doesn't really bother me to much, but I hope it won't feel as if other MMO's where you need 6 but "can do it" with 4 if you have a healer, tank, dps, and CC.. Everyone's job gets that much harder and intense..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• DarthViousDarthVious Member Posts: 39

From what I have seen in the dozens of gameplay and walkthrough videos, I personally think the 4man system will work just fine for this game. Of course we won't know for sure until we all get to try it out.

Darth Vious

-Dextera Imperium-
    http://dexteraimperium.com

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by JarodD

The big downside is the relative number of tanks and healers needed. Most people tend to lean toward damage dealers, so reducing the relative need for damage dealers could be problematic. I'm hoping that the companion system will encourage more people to run tanks and healers as they will be at less of a disadvantage for solo leveling than is typical in some MMORPGs.

I think this is the biggest point only.

I understand the 4 classes and that makes sense.  I don't think 4 is small or wrong or makes it a "soloplayer game with extra people" like some call it.  But There are a low number of tanks/healers in any game.  Plain and simple.  Even classes in other games that COULD tank or COULD heal generally do not and run as dps.  So instead of 3 dps going with the lower amount of tanks/healers, you only have two.  This creates a bigger shortage then ever.

But as someone else pointed out, thank god this is just a soloplayer game....right?!

• BattlesABattlesA Member UncommonPosts: 26

To the OP: it sounds like a "Preference difference" for you. Honestly I don't mind 4 people groups, that gives me a 25% chance at getting loot rather than a 5%

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I don't think 4 player groups are going to hurt anything.  If anything, it will increase each player's responsibility, adding additional challenge.  I'm not a SWTOR fan, per se, but I don't believe this will ultimately be an issue.

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

I think a 4 player system is fine tbh

Any game that doesn't require you to sell your soul to a group of 30+ players for months to get that one piece of gear you want.

but more to the point.. i think smaller groups provide for more meaningful gameplay

and it's not like they can't add all those stupid uber raids later for people... but let them get you hooked first with a great gameplay experience ;p

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

not suprised since this game is solo mmo.