Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this game fails, so does the MMORPG Genre. This is our last hope.

Comments

• Ghost021Ghost021 Member Posts: 84

This is not a last hope, nor is it the revolution in the MMO industry, at best it is a good MMO with a change of scenery, i do really hope this game comes trough and becomes successfull.

I came out of EvE because of the meta-crap and general lack of interest in the game, it wasn't the same anymore, and not for the best, shame but moving along, as a fan of scifi games i do really hope TOR has its share of success...

And throwing more money or having a reputable gaming company behind it brings no surety of success, it gives the game a good chance, it all depends on the end results, how the end product is, how the crowd will react to it, and mainly the mmo crowd is never satisfied with anything.

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by tank017

I think more is resting on the shoulders of GW2,alot of people see that game as the promise land.

But if both TOR and GW2 fail,the genre will go on..

The Secret World,World of Darkness,prolly a Fallout mmo etc.

More like people of this website. GW2 isn't the holy grail of every website.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Nihilist

Theres still GW2 to consider.

Ok let me consider it......

nope will not have an effect on the genre either.

Truth is, most people I've talked to in other MMOs, including WoW have not heard of GW2, they have however heard of SWTOR because it's discussed frequently among a lot of people and the media. It may have more to do with the IP than anything, but I imagine it's because it's made by BioWare and EA, and they have a lot of power in the industry to get things noticed. I'm sure GW2 will do well, but only amongst people who are fans of MMOs and GW, it won't draw many new players into the fold, where as SWTOR will.

GW2 is more accessible of course, due to the lack of subscription fees, yet it like it's predecessor, most will pass it by, or try it, then drop it.

Whether TOR does well over time is yet to be seen, but at the moment the game has lots of followers and fans spanning many game genera, and will at least bring people new to MMOs into it. This is the difference with TOR and many other games in the past, bringing in new gamers. The only other game to do this recently was WoW.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

I think the only real lasting impact this may have on the MMO market is that (BioWareMythic)EA may withdraw from making this their main avenue into service based entertainment.

We still have ArenaNet(NCSoft), Blizzard(Activision), Bethesda, and FunCom to name a few that are developing highly anticipated titles.

Then again EA may remain as steadfast as SOE and keep trying for that ace in a hole..we will see.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Drama much....if TOR fails it'll be pretty much the same deal as every other over-hyped big budget MMO that failed. The industry will shrug and move on. It might be a bit harder trying to put together capital for 150+ million dollar projects (not entirely sure that would be a bad thing).... however that's hardly the death of the genre or anything like that.

I see a ton of MMO's in the development phase at this point..... and I don't think any of them are banking for thier own success on TOR's fate.

At the end of the day....it's just another MMO in a market full of MMO's....it'll succeed or it won't.... and the industry and gamers will keep on chugging regardless...with maybe a small ripple hear or there to note it by.

Yes, it's a highly anticipated, big budget offering by a one of the largest new entrants to the market. So there may be alot to buzz about.....but it's not like people would stop making and playing games if it didn't live upto it's expectations.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

First, SW:TOR won't fail. Why? It's star wars. As long as it looks neat (and it seems the graphics are fine) and has "star wars" written on it, it will succeed. All the people buying that insanely expensive preorder thing already show developers "you can give us some preorder stuff and we will pay ANYTHING!!!".

I personally wouldn't mind if failing. Then developers would see "aha, maybe we should start beeing ab it more creative, instead of giving the players over and over and over the same crap, just with different skins and higher price tags". But it won't fail, so.. I don't care. I won't buy it, I don't care about it.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by ShaunJ1380

Originally posted by tank017

I think more is resting on the shoulders of GW2,alot of people see that game as the promise land.

But if both TOR and GW2 fail,the genre will go on..

The Secret World,World of Darkness,prolly a Fallout mmo etc.

More like people of this website. GW2 isn't the holy grail of every website.

Personally, I have NO interest in GW2, so count me out.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

If TOR fails it is only the end, for awhile, of super big budget MMO's not the genre.

Originally posted by Ausare

If TOR fails it is only the end, for awhile, of super big budget MMO's not the genre.

Probably not even that really.  Blizzard will be under a LOT of pressure to make Titan a comparable game, size and content wise, to WoW so the budget for that game will most likely be huge as well.

• lilwinslilwins Member Posts: 114

The game will fail and the genre will not fall because of it, it will actually grow stronger because this will be the last failure the consumer market will be willing to accept, so developers will not make anymore more sub-par games because they will not sell.

• zaffazaffa Member Posts: 81

The success of this game will have no impact on the genre. Other titles are already in development (GW2, Titan, etc.) and there will always be people out there who want to garner even a fraction of the tens of millions of potential subscribers that are part of the genre.

Besides, TOR isnt going to fail. The game will likely balance out mostly on box sales alone and finish paying off debts within a few months of release.

That said, I wouldnt expect anything special from TOR since it has already been show to be little more than a Wow clone with star wars designs. Sandbox game design is the way of the future, though unfortunatelly TOR just offers more of the same.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

I got some bad news for you SW TOR has already failed by simply launching there game at the same time as d3 is coming out.  I for one will be trying d3 if they both come out in NOV and possible TOR later down the line which could be better anyways as im sure there will be several patches before I join in, hopefully they havent gone f2p before I get to try it.

TOR should of had itself ready for April - June.  There is no real great games this summer, a few little time sinks but nothing grand in scale.  It would of been great if we had TOR this summer but sadly it wasnt ready which in some ways is good as I dont want them to push out an un-ready prodcut for obvious reasons it just would of been so much better for TOR if it could of launched this summer and not the end of this year with huge titles around it like d3 and possibly gw2 as well.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by the420kid

hopefully they havent gone f2p before I get to try it.

Why would you not want 2tp lol with f2p you get to try it out instead of paying upfront.

• unkkutunkkut Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by Amjoco

It will be another Rift, Warhammer, Aion. The only game that has a chance is GW2. Star Wars: The Old Republic is just WoW with a different dress on.

No, its Star Wars with a Star Wars dress on.

Originally posted by zaffa

The success of this game will have no impact on the genre. Other titles are already in development (GW2, Titan, etc.) and there will always be people out there who want to garner even a fraction of the tens of millions of potential subscribers that are part of the genre.

Besides, TOR isnt going to fail. The game will likely balance out mostly on box sales alone and finish paying off debts within a few months of release.

That said, I wouldnt expect anything special from TOR since it has already been show to be little more than a Wow clone with star wars designs. Sandbox game design is the way of the future, though unfortunatelly TOR just offers more of the same.

Geez, I hope sandbox games are not the future.  Every one of them I have ever played was so boring I almost cried over the money I wasted on them.  Let's be honest though, if they were the future they would already have a much larger portion of the market than they do now.  Sandboxes are nothing more than a niche portion of gaming just like themeparks, FPS, and all the rest.  The gaming markets strength is the fact that it is so diversified.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

If Star Wars fails, it won't signify the end of the MMORPG so much as it would the two faction cookie cutter done to death  version of an MMORPG that WoW started.  Anyone who thinks Mass Effect 2 style dialogue choices is really going to rectify that formula is going to be sadly mistaken. Thankfully, there are other games coming out that look quite a bit better... this genre doesn't have to rely on Star Wars.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

This game WILL fail, but it's not the 'last hope' for the mmorpg genre.  WoW is still going strong, and will still be the best mmo for a few years.  Many GOOD mmos are becoming F2P, and can give you something fun to do other than WoW.  

This game will fail due to lack of content, non inovative combat that is far less polished than games like WoW, and everything will be instanced.  Moreso than WoW.  There will be a general lack of things to do.  

Sandbox games are NOT the future of mmos.  Sandbox games will always be (and have always been) a niche, never the mainstream.  I do agree that many good sanbox mmos have been out, and sometimes can provide the most immersive and true mmo experience.  But these games require a MASSIVE amount of playing time.  For those of us that have graduated high school and college, we simply don't have the time required to play a 'sandbox' mmo.  For us, a good themepark is always more appealing.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

A whole lot of hyperbole going on in here.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Seriously.  And on both sides of the fence.

The whole thread is supposed to be about SWTOR somehow being the messiah of MMORPGs (hyperbole 1), but then there are tons of post stating in no uncertain terms that SWTOR will definitely fail (hyperbole 2).

I mean...realism people.  Come on now...

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by Omali

Originally posted by Divion

Maybe i didn't articulate my point well enough, - When Aion launched, and failed everyone spoke of how SWTORO will succeed where it failed, when STO launched SWTORO was going to replace those dishoveled fans, DCOU ditto, Rift ditto... for the last 2 years SWTORO has been made out by various communities to be the one everyone was holding out for... if SWTORO failed how can SWTORO save it? it can't... again whats next? How many must fail til people just give up on the notion of another WoW

Aion failed? I find that hard to believe because Aion generated $58,278,012 in revenue in Quarter 1 of 2011 alone, making up 44% of NCsoft's total income and putting the game far above most others in the industry in terms of profitibility, and MMOdata estimates it to have somewhere short of 3 million subscribers, making it the second highest MMO.

I hate that you wasted your time with your facts.   

What 99% of the kids (and adults with the mentality of kids) on these forums are actually saying is "IF I'M NOT PLAYING IT, IT MUST MEAN THE GAME FAILED!" or the old classic "I HEARD SOMEONE ELSE SAY IT, AND I THINK THAT PERSON IS SUPER-COOL SO I'M GOING TO SPOUT IT AT EVERY CHANCE I GET SO I CAN BE COOL TOO."

For some reason, 9 times out of 10, those people play Warcraft.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Ive just read the topic but I can for sure say that the creator of this thread is dead wrong. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

Sandbox games aren't niche at all.

Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas,The elder Scroll series, Minecraft, Sims, all of them sold millions or even more boxes / digital downloads.

There aren't any AAA sandbox MMORPGs (Archeage WoD and TSW, wait for them), you can't say that sandbox mmorpgs are niche because indie games fail, they fail because they are indie and badly coded, not because they are sandbox.

Until we see an AAA sandbox mmorpg fail like 99% of the AAA themepark mmos (yes, selling 1.000.000 boxes and only having 50k subs after a couple of months like AoC or WAR is a failure) we simpy don't know.

However, i don't think that sandbox games are the future, they have waay to many features, options, and depth for the avarage themepark player.

100% extreme themeparks are already a proven failure, and SWTOR won't be any different, the people that want an extreme thempark are happily playing wow.

Sandparks are the future, not 100% themepark, not 100% sandbox.

It's not about pleasing the sandbox crowd, it's about adding something to do at endgame, without it, people will maybe roll 1 alt and then quit.

Originally posted by DJJazzy

ROFL! I just about to comment on that.

WoW, Aion, Rift, SWTOR.....All Ultima Online clones.

Eat that chidren.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

It's doubtful this game will fail and it's highly unlikely that it will bring down an entire genre that has and would have existed without it.