Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this game fails, so does the MMORPG Genre. This is our last hope.

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

I’m not sure if this issue has been addressed, so I’m a throw a line into this lake of thought, and see what it reels in.

On a wide-spread acceptance level, WoW is the only real MMO universally accepted by the bulk of the industry, whether it be consumers, (Casual/Hardcore, PvP/PvE), Critics, Elitists, Haters, Fanboys, ect –

It has become the standard, to many’s dismay – it brought the genre out of a closet that only the most revered of us nerds knew of, to a game that even the most prominent members of society par-take in endless hours of play.

Has anyone asked the really, really.. really… hard question?

What if that was a fluke?

I have been fan of this genre longer then most, my first MMO being EQ back in the last 90s.

I was hyped for WoW mostly for one reason, I played the Warcraft IP RTS games and the notion of being the unit on the ground that I once controlled hundreds of, and visiting places I wage an epic war about was intriguing, so I followed the game’s development closely – I remember reading the articles, the reviews, the critics, the haters, the flamers, the fans, the testers, the developers, I soaked it all in like a sponge.. I was hyped.

The game was an epic success…

Since then there has only been one game to show the same pre-launch pattern, SWTORO, what I’ve been reading, from hype (whether it be empty or legit), to those who have played it and shared their thoughts, reviews, everything it reminds be of the atmosphere that existed prior to WoWs launch. It makes me giddy, hopeful, and most of all concerned for the future of the MMORPG as a Genre.

This game has all the right conditions for a perfect MMO Storm (Like WoW before it), the recipe matches… everything.. the hype, the potential, even what issues the haters are trolling about.. it’s all in the right spot for a success…so…WHAT IF IT FAILS TOO?

Then that’s it… I think that developers are going to abandon the MMORPG, maybe not all at once or in a whole, but.. lets face a few facts :

Recipe for Success (MMORPG)

Take 1 well established franchise (Warcraft, Star Wars) \ Star Wars being the most famous of IPs in the civilized markets

Add marketable game design marinated with superfluous hype, and hate balance.

Add a reputable gaming company (Blizzard, BioWare), BioWare being arguably one of the best RPG producing company.

Mix in a large production, and marketing budget ( 63M for WoW \ 80M [Maybe more?])

Add all the ingredients, and bake til the market is desperately begging for a decent MMO.

Serve at a reasonable price, best kept updated – Makes 1-20 million servings.

So if the recipe for success produces failure, then one must conclude that the MMORPG as a dish is no longer a dish people want to eat….

This is the last chance for the MMORPG to prove that WoW wasn’t a fluke, that the market is still a viable mechanism in today’s entertainment industry, we are dangerously close to becoming a closent genre again, let’s not become the Sim Genre of the next millennium.

Comments

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Hmmm either noone is interested, or this is something that has been discussed before

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

This game is the antithesis of the last hope for me. Based on all information known to me at the moment, it is very much opposite of what I look for in an mmo. So you speak for many, but not for all.

Even if SWTOR is a failure, I don't see it affecting the niche mmo market. Indie developers just need to realize that there are a ton of people exactly like me waiting for a great mmo to come along, that isn't like SWTOR in the obvious ways. We're still waiting, and the success or failure of SWTOR won't affect that.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Sorry but No.  The fate of the gaming world does not hinge on how well swtor does.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

It will be another Rift, Warhammer, Aion. The only game that has a chance is GW2. Star Wars: The Old Republic is just WoW with a different dress on.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Because its like beating a dead horse, fanboism is not very common at all at mmorpg.com...

Warhammer online says hello btw

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

All I can say is LOL.Do you have your Y2KMMORPGDOOMNGLOOM bomb shelter in place?Sorry but the future of MMO's does not hinge upon the future of SWTOR as it is not the only interesting prospect coming up and is by far the least interesting one to me.

Now maybe if you mean the genre fails to you and if it fails you are done with the genre but hardly does it mean the death of it.  

• Ah yes, yet another thread by someone who can magically tell the future! Wow. The same kind of thread which states whether a game will succeed or fail before it's even launched.

If SW:TOR fails, that would be a shame, but I doubt that all of the gaming companies will mutually decide to quit if that happens.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

None of the MMO's coming out does the genre place all it's hope on. That's the stupidest and most idiotic thing ever.

Guild Wars 2 is going from it's original design to coping WoW's which is essentially a copy of even older and past MMO's. It's all a cycle. Taking something already and mixing and matching, repackaging and selling a fresh coat of paint to a new generation of folks. Cause you know what? After a months release of all these games all of you will shut up and just over hype a new steaming pile of advertised shit.

Grow up and stop over hyping games and acting like they are a god send.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• XciserXciser Member UncommonPosts: 102

more like if it fails... we move on like all the other fail mmos...age of conan..warhammer online....aion..... then we continue to wait for the 10,000 others that are being made, one of them will surely do it.

Originally posted by Amjoco

It will be another Rift, Warhammer, Aion. The only game that has a chance is GW2. Star Wars: The Old Republic is just WoW with a different dress on.

I have to disagree in the largest manner possible.

This is so far from Aion, rift, war.. any of them...

The Old republic series, and the Star Wars IP has one of the biggest fanbase of any IP, bigger then any of those games for those that were based off established IPs.

I think the market does hing on this... based off the points i made, if you can't see that then atleast provide some counter issues.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Theres still GW2 to consider.

Originally posted by Xciser

more like if it fails... we move on like all the other fail mmos...age of conan..warhammer online....aion..... then we continue to wait for the 10,000 others that are being made, one of them will surely do it.

One day...one day....

One game to rule them all

Warhammer online says hello again btw

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Divion

Hmmm either noone is interested, or this is something that has been discussed before

No ones discussing it because it's a dumb topic. Many of the people on this site have been playing MMO for more then 10 years (myself included) and know that what your saying is just plain wrong. You know not everyone likes the Star Wars IP. I for one have never liked Star Wars and have no intention of ever trying this game in the first place. I'm sure there are many people that feel the same way.  No matter how the game turns out it will have very little impact on the genre as a hole.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Unless the game is different from this video I just grabbed first one off of a google search then it looks very similar to WoW, just dressed different. I'm not slamming the game, I am going to buy and play it, but it is no different then the games I mentioned earier which are WoW copies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6_oE7YzVr8

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by fodell54

No ones discussing it because it's a dumb topic. Many of the people on this site have been playing MMO for more then 10 years (myself included) and know that what your saying is just plain wrong. You know not everyone likes the Star Wars IP. I for one have never liked Star Wars and have no intention of ever trying this game in the first place. I'm sure there are many people that feel the same way.  No matter how the game turns out it will have very little impact on the genre as a hole.

I'm one of em.  SWTOR can be the greatest MMO in existance and still will not play it for various reasons of the IP.  I watched and enjoyed the original SW movies, the new ones is half of it liked other half wanted to strangle many of the annoying as shit actors but thats where my indulgence in SW ends.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think more is resting on the shoulders of GW2,alot of people see that game as the promise land.

But if both TOR and GW2 fail,the genre will go on..

The Secret World,World of Darkness,prolly a Fallout mmo etc.

1. I keep hearing people saw "Big deal if SWTOR fails, we have GW2".

- First off thats crap, GW isn't an MMORPG to begin with, it's an RPG with online elements, unless they are changing that fact in GW2, i ain't buy that.

- 2nd off, the players of the GW franchise are not the -bulk- of the MMO consumer base, they are not even an MMO consumer, again, i ain't buying it.

2. If not SWTOR then what? It will always be the same -- " hype that game, it fails, hype this game it fails", rinse repeat.. the industry will degrade into superficial titles that become money sinks for both consumer, and industry, open your eyes Vet MMO'ers are already quitting the genre in flocks for so many this is the last chance.

Originally posted by Nihilist

Theres still GW2 to consider.

Ok let me consider it......

nope will not have an effect on the genre either.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

- First off thats crap, GW isn't an MMORPG to begin with, it's an RPG with online elements, unless they are changing that fact in GW2, i ain't buy that.

- 2nd off, the players of the GW franchise are not the -bulk- of the MMO consumer base, they are not even an MMO consumer, again, i ain't buying it.

2. If not SWTOR then what? It will always be the same -- " hype that game, it fails, hype this game it fails", rinse repeat.. the industry will degrade into superficial titles that become money sinks for both consumer, and industry, open your eyes Vet MMO'ers are already quitting the genre in flocks for so many this is the last chance.

You killed all the credibility you had...

oh and be ready for the air strike, according to SW:TOR fans this site is in majority following GW2

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

Originally posted by dinams

You killed all the credibility you had...

oh and be ready for the air strike, according to SW:TOR fans this site is in majority following GW2

And who you are to quanity my, or anyone's crediablity? You provide nothing to back up your silly statements.

Maybe most of the MMORPG users do follow GW2, -BUT- majority of MMORPG players DO NOT USE MMORPG.COM

- Lawyered.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Err,you need to do some researching dude,its sounds like you've been living in a cave.

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

I’m not sure if this issue has been addressed, so I’m a throw a line into this lake of thought, and see what it reels in.

On a wide-spread acceptance level, WoW is the only real MMO universally accepted by the bulk of the industry, whether it be consumers, (Casual/Hardcore, PvP/PvE), Critics, Elitists, Haters, Fanboys, ect –

It has become the standard, to many’s dismay – it brought the genre out of a closet that only the most revered of us nerds knew of, to a game that even the most prominent members of society par-take in endless hours of play.

Has anyone asked the really, really.. really… hard question?

What if that was a fluke?

I have been fan of this genre longer then most, my first MMO being EQ back in the last 90s.

I was hyped for WoW mostly for one reason, I played the Warcraft IP RTS games and the notion of being the unit on the ground that I once controlled hundreds of, and visiting places I wage an epic war about was intriguing, so I followed the game’s development closely – I remember reading the articles, the reviews, the critics, the haters, the flamers, the fans, the testers, the developers, I soaked it all in like a sponge.. I was hyped.

The game was an epic success…

Since then there has only been one game to show the same pre-launch pattern, SWTORO, what I’ve been reading, from hype (whether it be empty or legit), to those who have played it and shared their thoughts, reviews, everything it reminds be of the atmosphere that existed prior to WoWs launch. It makes me giddy, hopeful, and most of all concerned for the future of the MMORPG as a Genre.

This game has all the right conditions for a perfect MMO Storm (Like WoW before it), the recipe matches… everything.. the hype, the potential, even what issues the haters are trolling about.. it’s all in the right spot for a success…so…WHAT IF IT FAILS TOO?

Then that’s it… I think that developers are going to abandon the MMORPG, maybe not all at once or in a whole, but.. lets face a few facts :

Recipe for Success (MMORPG)

Take 1 well established franchise (Warcraft, Star Wars) \ Star Wars being the most famous of IPs in the civilized markets

Add marketable game design marinated with superfluous hype, and hate balance.

Add a reputable gaming company (Blizzard, BioWare), BioWare being arguably one of the best RPG producing company.

Mix in a large production, and marketing budget ( 63M for WoW \ 80M [Maybe more?])

Add all the ingredients, and bake til the market is desperately begging for a decent MMO.

Serve at a reasonable price, best kept updated – Makes 1-20 million servings.

So if the recipe for success produces failure, then one must conclude that the MMORPG as a dish is no longer a dish people want to eat….

This is the last chance for the MMORPG to prove that WoW wasn’t a fluke, that the market is still a viable mechanism in today’s entertainment industry, we are dangerously close to becoming a closent genre again, let’s not become the Sim Genre of the next millennium.

sigh its not going to fail >< just wait until it releases try it if you dont like it toss it simple......i am not judging if the game fails or not just let it breath and see how it does in time we will see.. till then play the game enjoy it if you like it if not toss it :P

• yodablazeyodablaze Member Posts: 234

Geez. Understand this:

1. ToR is just another mmorpg. It isn't revolutionary, many are coming to the understanding that it isn't going to be (I'm not sure Bioware was even trying to) so it fits in the same category of all mmos before it.

2. If ToR fails, players will move on, other companies will see this as a massive opportunity to attempt to do things right. It is the way it has been for many titles that were claimed to be "wow killers."

3. There are other mmos, I'm considering playing like GW2 and Tera and I'm still excited about this game as well. Many feel the same way. Tor doesn't demand that much power and I doubt any mmo will.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Good job talking crap when you no nothing of what your talking about.  Some of the only similarities between GW1 and GW2 that we know of is lore and how many skills you can use (and even that is different by a bit).

Also, Ive played hundreds of hours of Guild Wars and I've also played thousands of hours combined of most other recent MMO's. If that doesnt make me an "MMO consumer" then I dont know what does.  I'm not sure youve heard of this concept but it goes something like this, "I can play Guild Wars and other MMOs at the same time!"  I think it has something to do with the fact that people have the ability to pay for an MMO on top of a B2P.

If SWTOR is a sucess then awesome, I'll be playing it.  If SWTOR fails then oh well, just another game that failed.  MMO's have failed and yet we continue.  The MMO genre is still young, it will survive a few flops.  Might I remind you that there have been some pretty shitty FPS, RTS, RPG, and other games and yet we still have amazing games afterwards. 

I really hate to say this because it's not there fault but the genre will die if a game does not come along and steal a crap ton of subs from wow.  Let me explain

Developers have been trying for a long time to compete with wow and there huge subs.  And for all of their efforts and money has amounted to nothing but failure.

Then they see all these NO NAME companies making tons of money off of casual facebook gamers.  Soon or later they are going to say screw it,  lets make bank on browser games!