Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting/Economy?

I've not seen anyone speak about this, will there be any crafting or economical game play in SW:ToR? 

Any info on this would be great.

Comments

• Originally posted by Argo951

I've not seen anyone speak about this, will there be any crafting or economical game play in SW:ToR? 

Any info on this would be great.

you don't know how the economy will work in this game yet except that we know that there is an auction house(its called the Galactic Trade Network).

as for crafting, it is in this game. it is part of it is called crew skills

here is a dev blog they did on crew skills

here is what is known about crafting(and the rest of crew skills) so far:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=300223#anchor10

General Crafting Information - Crafting Skills Video

• Quote: 'We go to a lot of work to be sure that at times crafted gear is the best stuff'. - Mos Eisley Radio

• You can break down items found to use as resources to make other items - Ask A Jedi

• Quote: As a general rule recipes are not class or faction bound - Ask A Jedi

• You do not need special workbenches to make items but resources maybe hard to aquire - Ask A Jedi

• Lightsaber Enhancement, Armor Enhancement, and other Stations/Benches seen on Hutta - Darth Hater

• Quote: I will confirm that crafting crits are in the game right now. We're still working on exactly how powerful they are balance-wise, and we'll talk more about them once we feel comfortable with our answer. - Bioware

• The perception of many that social aspects like crafting and banking are limited only to your ship is wrong. There are a very small number of things that are ship based only activities. -Bioware

• Quote: A crafting bench isn't just on your ship, but also in various areas on Tython - Darth Hater

• Currently any crafted items/resources just get placed in your standard inventory - AskAJedi

• Only Jedi/Sith craft Ligtsabers, not the companions - Bioware

• Quote Daniel: The general approach is that once you learn a recipe, you know it. There may be exceptions - Darth Hater

• Some resources may be only available on certain planets - Darth Hater

• Quote Daniel: The part that is not terribly exciting is standing in one spot and watching a progress bar over and over and over again. And that's literally all that we removed - Massively

• If you are either a Solo'er or in a large guild you can become a top Master Crafter, but of course the person in the large guild has a lot of help - Massively

• Crafting is based on time invested more than XP level. Do not expect to decide to become a Master Crafter over a weekend, it will not happen - Torocast

• Master Crafters will be able to craft some of the best items in game - Torocast

• Some recipes will be limited per server to make them rare - Torocast

• You will be able to brand your crafted items so people know who made it. - Torocast

• Quote: "No, you the player cannot craft currently - which is to say you cannot choose to watch the progress bar fill up yourself". You tell your companions to do it and they will - Dev Comment

• Quote from Damion: "It's worth noting that we really want the system to support the casual crafter (the guy who is taking crafting largely to outfit himself while levelling up) and the devoted crafter (the guy who wants to be known as the best Armormech in the galaxy)" - Dev Comment

• You, via your crew skills, can have a maximum of three skills only one of which can be crafting. So you could have a mission skill, gathering and crafting or two gathering and one crafting etc - Dev Comment

• If you wish to do the harvesting/gathering yourself you can. Its not limited to your companions - Crafting Video

• The skills your companions will have will be split into three groups: Gathering, Crafting, and Missions. - Darth Hater

• Crafting missons can take between 5mins to 24hrs long there is a cost to do each misson. - ChronicReload

• Quote: I will just say there are some mechanics to it that will allow players who are more involved in crafting to really get deeply involved in crafting and be appropriately rewarded for it." - Darth Hater

• Quote Blaine: It doesn't make sense for Darth Vader to skin womp rats for a new pair of boots in between conquering worlds "You are the hero," says Christine. "You make your crew work for you." - Gamespot

Crafting Crew Abilities/Function - Crew Skills Overview Page

• Crafting in TOR will use a Crew, Companion, Skill crafting system. Using their ship as a base of operations, players will be able to send their companions on crafting tasks - Darth Hater

• All crew skill trainers are available at the Capital worlds. - AskAJedi

• The majority of crew skill missions are accessed from a pool of random missions but some are unlocked when you find rare items which give better rewards. - AskAJedi

• There are no limitations on what class does what type of crafting - AskAJedi

• Each companion has a minor crafting skill bonus based on their background, but its not enough to warrant you leaving them only to do crafting - AskAJedi

• Companions can not die while on Crafting missions but they can fail. If it fails the lost incured is the credits it cost you to send your companion on the mission - AskAJedi

• For a companion to go on a resource collection mission you the player do not have to visit the area first. - AskAJedi

• Quote: We want crafters to be primarily playing a social game, not spending hours doing stuff they don’t want to do - AskAJedi

• If you found two gathering nodes near each other you could harvest one and your companion could do the other at the same time - Darth Hater

• Your crew does not have skills themselves. The crew skills they can use are based on the crafting skills your main character has. - Darth Hater

• The maximum number of crew that can perform any crafting skill, at one time, is 5. Any others spare could be doing missons, gathering or travelling with the main character - Darth Hater

• Certain companions will be better at some crafting group than others, for example Vette, a pirate and companion to the Sith Warrior, will excel at Treasure Hunting. - Darth Hater

• Your companions can also be given missions on the fly, and even while players are away from their ship. They can also operate while your offline - Darth Hater

• Only companions you have left on board your ship can perform any crafting actions. The ones you group with to fight etc can only perform gathering tasks - Darth Hater

• While out adventuring if you see a crafting node instead of player character going to mine it you can send your companion to do it for you - Darth Hater

• Quote: Currently, you can recall your companion at any time from a mission. You lose any progress he has made, as well as any upfront costs, but he returns immediately - Bioware

• Quote: You can also have a companion stop crafting an item at any time. In that case, you lose no materials (but all progress will be lost). - Bioware

• Quote: Players who choose Armstech as their crafting skill will be able to create a wide range of blaster pistols, blaster rifles, sniper rifles, and assault cannons. - Bioware

• Quote: Players can issue crafting orders to up to five companions at a time, and each companion can add up to five crafting tasks to their queue. - Bioware

• Quote: Companions with high affection will have their ability to perform crafting tasks greatly improved. For example, a companion with high affection can craft items faster - Bioware

• Quote: "Though companions are vital to The Old Republic and the Crew Skills system, we do know that some players want to be the primary crafter for all their crafted items", "It is worth noting players will definitely need to be directly involved in the process when learning rare schematics - Bioware

The following crafting types are the ones revealed so far:

• Gathering Skills include:

Bioanalysis – The practice of collecting genetic material from creatures and plants

Scavenging – The art of recovering useful materials and parts from old or damaged technology

Slicing – A skill in accessing secured computer systems and lockboxes to acquire valuable data and rare schematics

Archeology - Mining crystal nodes Darth Hater

• Crafting Skills include:

Armormech – the ability to work with hard metals and electronic shielding to construct all types of personal armor

Armstech - Armstech is the ability to work with hard metals, alloys, and synthetic materials to craft blasters.

Cybertech - Reverse Engineering Tech which leads to creating Tech - Darth Hater

Synthweaving - Darth Hater

There are three quality levels for crafted blasters:

• Quality - Crafting Requirements Premium Gathered resources and common items sold on vendors

• Prototype - Rare gathered resources and other valuable items

• Artifact - Rare resources (gathered or otherwise) and other valuable items – possibly acquired from other players.

• Artifice is not limited to just Force users - AskAJedi

Artifice – the delicate work of constructing Jedi and Sith artifacts

Biochem – The engineering of performance-enhancing chemical serums and biological implants

• Mission Skills include:

Diplomacy – The art of conducting and managing negotiations

Treasure Hunting – The ability to track down and recover valuable items by investigating a series of clues.

Underworld Trading - Darth Hater

Investigation Mission - Darth Hater

• Quote Richard Vogel: It will not be to the extent of some of the games out there, like [Star Wars] Galaxies. It will be very similar to what WoW has. - Massively

• Quote: We are going to have crafting, because that's a big part of MMOs. We're going to implement crafting in a way that 'feels' right for Star Wars. - Massively

• Quote: We’ve spent quite a bit of time discussing how to ensure that crafters – true dedicated crafters – can make a name for themselves and be important in their community. - Developer Blog

hope this helps

• Argo951Argo951 Member Posts: 123

wow thanks alot! Guess I just didnt look hard enough.

• Originally posted by Deewe

Originally posted by gaou

Quote: I will confirm that crafting crits are in the game right now. We're still working on exactly how powerful they are balance-wise, and we'll talk more about them once we feel comfortable with our answer. - Bioware

Just a note to this great post: it seems crits are not anymore in game

when did you see that? was it from one of the recent conventions or dev posts?

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Deewe

Quote: I will confirm that crafting crits are in the game right now. We're still working on exactly how powerful they are balance-wise, and we'll talk more about them once we feel comfortable with our answer. - Bioware

Just yesterady, it was a quote from a dev saying it's not fun browsing items individually on the AH to find out the very best so they want you when you see the name of an item you know what it is exactly as all of them are identical. (looking for the link atm)

• Originally posted by Deewe

Just yesterady, it was a quote from a dev saying it's not fun browsing items individually on the AH to find out the very best so they want you when you see the name of an item you know what it is exactly as all of them are identical. (looking for the link atm)

well that doesn't mean there can't be crits. in lotro when you crit, the items name is different.  like say you get supreme scholar cloak recipe.  when you crit, it becomes an exquisite scholar cloak.  all exquisite ones have the same stats so you could just search to see if there are any of them.  i think what that response might have been to was regarding using different quality mats to boost stats. isn't that kinda how it worked in swg?(never played so i don't know)

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

well that doesn't mean there can't be crits. in lotro when you crit, the items name is different.  like say you get supreme scholar cloak recipe.  when you crit, it becomes an exquisite scholar cloak.  all exquisite ones have the same stats so you could just search to see if there are any of them.  i think what that response might have been to was regarding using different quality mats to boost stats. isn't that kinda how it worked in swg?(never played so i don't know)

Sorry can't find the quote but it was more like one crating recipe will always get the same results.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

I hear what your saying on the crafting crits, Im not sure if that means they took it out or that it has a different name when it crits now. But no thats not how SWG is at all, everything of a certain type has the same name, but they have different stats depending on what quality materials were used to make them. Honoestly seeing that they are slimming stuff down because they didnt like searching through AH's and such is extremly saddening, its like no one can deal with depth anymore, they just want it quick, easy, and handed to them, the person willing to dig through muck to find a gem should be able to outshine those who arnt.

The TOR crafting system is definitly something different, we will see how it works out, I'm a main crafter and want to be able to spend my time crafting and gathering and such, not setting up ques for others to do it for me, but I'm willing to give it a chance because I dont really have a choice.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Didn't they just say everything in the game has mod slots? So you could buy a weapon or armor piece. Then buy or make  mods to put in the mod slots to add the different stats. At the SDCC, DE said you can just mod your first lightsaber as a force user and use it the entire game.

So it could be that they took the crit off the crafting process to allow for mods instead. Crits should still be possible for missions, but I haven't seen the quote, so I don't know.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Originally posted by Dalgor

I hear what your saying on the crafting crits, Im not sure if that means they took it out or that it has a different name when it crits now. But no thats not how SWG is at all, everything of a certain type has the same name, but they have different stats depending on what quality materials were used to make them. Honoestly seeing that they are slimming stuff down because they didnt like searching through AH's and such is extremly saddening, its like no one can deal with depth anymore, they just want it quick, easy, and handed to them, the person willing to dig through muck to find a gem should be able to outshine those who arnt.

The TOR crafting system is definitly something different, we will see how it works out, I'm a main crafter and want to be able to spend my time crafting and gathering and such, not setting up ques for others to do it for me, but I'm willing to give it a chance because I dont really have a choice.

thats what i was trying to say here

I just said it poorly image