Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 2 looked so much better back in 2003.

2»

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Actually I think a lot of it is that it has been watered down story-wise.

If you started in the old game as evil you got a real taste of what it is like to be in a country ruled by an iron-fisted tyrant with the hard-edged buerocrats and everyone willing to stab each other for a dime.

It was a complete environment and actually brought out the best in players.

On the other side the good side was so rainbows and lollipops and save my cat that it also affected the players.

---

The new towns are much less visceral.  They are more like standard fantasy as opposed to dark fantasy. 

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by centkin

If you started in the old game as evil you got a real taste of what it is like to be in a country ruled by an iron-fisted tyrant with the hard-edged buerocrats and everyone willing to stab each other for a dime.

On the other side the good side was so rainbows and lollipops and save my cat that it also affected the players.

---

The new towns are much less visceral.  They are more like standard fantasy as opposed to dark fantasy. 

I'd agree that certain game aspects have been watered down a bit.  At the moment I'm thinking of some of the tradeskilling stuff that's been cut away in particular, like varied grades for finished items and such.  That's something I'd rather have kept.  And it would have been neat to have seen how the original class system would have developed, had they stuck with it.

As far as I'm concerned, though, those are minor things, and so much has been added in the meantime that I think the game on the whole is immeasrably better than it was at or around launch.  I wrote about this recently, in fact, and see it as part of a larger trend.

As far as the look and feel of the cities... well, that's largely a taste thing.  I like some of them and like others less.  I will shortly no longer be able to say "well, Freeport is still there, exactly as it was," but I hope that the feel of the place will be preserved in the revamp.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by centkin

soe is working to bring this back -- starting with GU62 in november,  the revamp of Freeport

Q&A interview

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/100699/page/2

when you play in Darklight Woods or Timorous Deep as an evil character, you will no longer go on the Golden Path to Butcher Block to help the dwarfs for some reason.

Instead, you’ll go to Freeport and get involved in Lucan D'Lere's march for power.

We’re focusing on personalities. I’m a big fan of Game of Thrones. I’ve always been a fan of ensemble books or ensemble characters where there’s really key characters and the plots always revolve around those, so we’re going to be doing a lot of that with Freeport.