Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An easy to code feature that would sell like crazy but no MMO has

MaldobarMaldobar Member UncommonPosts: 11

Imagine, you log in a game you see a screen character customisation.

Nothing new so far - and i agree my friend -

But then you customize your char and it says "voice customisation" ..

you enter a menu you can record your voice and it changes it to a dark voice of a barbarian, or a hissing voice of an orc ..etc.

And now the feature of the game i would love to see...

Have you ever played with a party? come Teamspeak..oh give me adress..

Well there was better..in game voice after you joined the party..yes but not thrilling..

Now imagine..

If you run through the game you can speak, your voice gets adjusted by the voice synthesizer and you sound like this big barbarian. You are close to players? yes? you hear them not loud..but you hear them..you approach, voice gets louder..

you are are in PvP ...okay okay i surrender you say..and as this fature is in your voice gets to the enemy...

Hell i would love this feature..

And do you know what? 

I think its very easy to code....and it would rock MMOs cause give way more reality..

Comments

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

Eve has a voice synthesizer iirc. Not sure if it still works or if it ever worked properly though.

As for the second half of your idea, many players would simply use the chat? I never use teamspeak. It's too personal. I don't join guilds that require teamspeak either. They might as well ask for pictures of my genitals and I don't wanna listen to 12 year old Timmie and his angry fleet commander / group leader whatever.

If the game didn't have a chat: Original, but I wouldn't touch it.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

That sounds totally cool.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

+1

i like this idea.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ravenmystravenmyst Member UncommonPosts: 55

That's actually alot to code to get it to work properly and would be rather difficult to code.  Like with anything that you code 1 mistake in it and the whole thing could crash everything else.

Space available for rent.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by ravenmyst

That's actually alot to code to get it to work properly and would be rather difficult to code.  Like with anything that you code 1 mistake in it and the whole thing could crash everything else.

There's plenty of programs out there that do voice filtering/modulation.  I think that if a game did this though, it should allow you to "tweak" the voice filter so that you got it where you want it.  Because I'm sure a high-pitched woman's voice put through the "demon" voice filter would say way different than say James Earl Jones' voice put through the same filter.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Creslin321

There's plenty of programs out there that do voice filtering/modulation.  I think that if a game did this though, it should allow you to "tweak" the voice filter so that you got it where you want it.  Because I'm sure a high-pitched woman's voice put through the "demon" voice filter would say way different than say James Earl Jones' voice put through the same filter.

Do you remember the introduction of Boob Sliders?  Surrounded by DDD's, as far as the eye can see.

You'll hear a LOT of big badass looking dudes with squeaky or female voices.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Umm..I remember seeing a program like this for sale except it works with vent and TS.  I completely forgotted the name of the thingie though :(  But yahh! itll let you sound however you want n stuff! :O  It seemed really nice...I wanted to use it for chipmunk voice but then I thought what the heck I might as well use baloons >.<

IIRC it costs like..50USD

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Creslin321
    Do you remember the introduction of Boob Sliders?  Surrounded by DDD's, as far as the eye can see.
    You'll hear a LOT of big badass looking dudes with squeaky or female voices.

More like, dudes perpetuating the Wrex/Shepard meme. :3

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I think this could be great, if it were well done.  I'm just not sure the technology is quite there, yet.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

The program is called Crazybee.

The technology is fairly easy. It does give good but not perfect results.

Your voice will be pitch up or down. Resulting in deeper or higher tone - but the diction or the way you speak will stay same.

No program can change that

• MaldobarMaldobar Member UncommonPosts: 11

The feature to modulate your voice is just a small thing of the idea.

The core is, that you speak in game and it gets to anyone that is close to you.

And as more far away the more tricky it is to hear the player.

You don't have to be in party to speak with someone you not have to be in TS or Vent to talk.

Just anyone who is close to you gets what you say, and what he hears is a matter of distance in game and other game sounds like the giantic fireball next to you

• SeandumasSeandumas Member UncommonPosts: 11

Voice chat fails in games, why would you think this would succeed?

Please keep voice chat out of MMO's. Thank you.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Client based voice chat would make gold sellers harder to detect and report. I'm also not interested in listening to everyone's body functions or people eating in an open mike.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

http://www.ivona.com/   <--- that is best existing voice synthetizator. In multiple laungauges and multiple voices as well.Really. Check it out. You can try it out on their webpage. Not sure how much would it cost to license it into a game though should be bearable though as they can alot of licenses and are known to to be preety flexible.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

If anyone here had original Xbox live way back in the day; you may remember something similar to this (as far as the voice changing part) You used to be able to choose from a list of pre determined voice types, and use them in game. The issue was that me, and everyone else I knew refused to party with anyone that had the mods on because they sounded stupid. As far as the proximity thing goes I've always thought that would be a good idea. The main issue I see is that if someone is supper offensive, but you can't tell who said it because you are in a crowded area or something....then you A.) Can't mute them, and B.) Can't report them. I personally don't report people because I believe in freedom of speech, but I know most mmo players like having the option of reporting. 

That said If you could keep people from being dicks (good luck lol) then voice proximity chat is an awesome idea.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Love the ideea, but I doubt I will see it in the near future... maybe 10 years from now?

The bandwidth is precious, and when the internet speed rises (every few years), so does the graphics.. I hope I will see this though, sound really cool.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

SOE promised to implement this ages ago when they made the deal wtih vivox, for EQ2, but doesnt seeem to ever being realized...but sure would be awesome especially for the RP crowd...and just the usual fool about

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

A lot of players would get geeky with it and abuse it any way they could.

But I think a viable option would be voice choices based on the character (Large males would get a range of deeper choices that fit, small females a range of light/perky voices, etc.).

And then have a wide range of premade voice "emotes". Nothing new here, just widen the scope dramatically. Include basic conversation points such as "Goods for sale", "Lets roll", "Mount up", "Follow me", and anything that might be said commonly by players.

And MOBs could be given a wide range also, so not only players can shout out "Hooray" but so can MOBs if they are winning.

Once upon a time....