Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best F2P games? Looking for a good one.

TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433

Looking for a good F2P game as I'm currently broke and don't want to waste the money on a sub game.  I've played LOTRO - never could get into it,  AOC same thing. I play EQ2 on and off but don't know how worth it the free to play version is. Also play WoW a lot (yeah I know) and have tried just about everything on the P2P market at one time or another.

I'd really like a game where I can just play casually with my spouse and level to max without having to buy from a cash shop. I don't much care about end game or having elite gear right now. I'm too busy to get into anything hardcore but I like a little distraction in the evening when I'm bored.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Heroes of Newerth is F2P now.

http://www.heroesofnewerth.com

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Eden Eternal: cutesy graphics, but at my age i find that a relaxing element. it has a great class switching system that you can do on the fly. which would keep some interest for a couple playing. you 2 could switch off what class you wanted to be that night, or if only one could play they could level another class.

Eternal Earth: is about to be rereleased as a full mmo, rather than the mmo browser game it originally was, so keep an eye out for that. i had a lot of fun in that one.

ARGO Online: is a switch up as it has 2 faction pvp later on in endgame between a steampunk/scifi style faction and a natural magic faction. i think its a highly underrated game. the graphics are nice, you can quest or grind, the classes are gender locked which is something new to me, but just doesn't bother me, ive played both genders in mmo's before.

EQX: i have played it, but like AoC it does have quite a few restrictions, but most of these can be lifted with like a one time 10 dollar purchase raising your membership level.

in general i have been having good luck with aeria games as a f2p publisher. while many of their titles seem cutesy, their game mechanics are often quite nice and in depth.

i have tried a number of others, but they just couldn't hold my interest, among these was Forsaken World, though some in the playerbase will swear by it.

its a shame about LotRO b/c its the only f2p  model i have found where if you don't mind grinding in the zen zone then you can quite literally pay for everything with ingame rewards of TP.

thats just off the top of my head, as like you i am financially in a squeeze right now and have been leaning more and more towards these types of games.

hope this helps.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I just started Dragon Nest last night and got to lvl 5. It's quite fun!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

dragons nest is amazing.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

There's dungeons and dragons, you get cash shop points for free although you'll need more than one char to take any real advantage of this.  PLenty of people seem to max without paying a penny.

I quite like bounty bay, although it's gone a bit downhill recently.  Is skill based so there's no maxed as such, but you will need to pay if you want to max all skills.  However you should be able to do them all between the 2 of you.

Planeshift is the only mmo that's completely free that i know of, no sub or shop.  Bit heavy on the rp side for me.

Neocron 2 is still free atm.

Anarchy online or ryzom are free til a certain level(will take you quite a while to get to said level).  Either could well be worth a look.

Originally posted by Karahandras

There's dungeons and dragons, you get cash shop points for free although you'll need more than one char to take any real advantage of this.  PLenty of people seem to max without paying a penny.

I quite like bounty bay, although it's gone a bit downhill recently.  Is skill based so there's no maxed as such, but you will need to pay if you want to max all skills.  However you should be able to do them all between the 2 of you.

Planeshift is the only mmo that's completely free that i know of, no sub or shop.  Bit heavy on the rp side for me.

Anarchy online or ryzom are free til a certain level(will take you quite a while to get to said level).  Either could well be worth a look.

hey, i just vistied the neocron site and i could not find a means of gaining f2p access. id love to try it, if you have any suggestions on how to get an f2p account please let me know. the game looks fairly in depth and interesting.

thanks for any help you can offer.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,320

I'm enjoying DDO.  Its simple, keeps you entertained.  If you want to spend some money for map packs its pretty cheap.  All around a fun game.  Don't going thinking its a fully fledged MMO, cause its not.  Its more of a series of dungeon crawls that you can go on with your mates.  Fun though. 

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Thanx a lot Chelan. The games you listed were some I had never heard of before and my wife was pretty excited to try them. One that hasn't been listed that I am probably gonna try is Global Agenda. A Sci-fi FPS MMO.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

let me know what you think of Global Agenda, i'd be interested to find out.

Originally posted by chelan

hey, i just vistied the neocron site and i could not find a means of gaining f2p access. id love to try it, if you have any suggestions on how to get an f2p account please let me know. the game looks fairly in depth and interesting.

Isn't f2p as shuch, but free atm.  Essentially you just make an account and don't pay.  They moved support over to black prophecy and while they aren't working on neocron 2 they aren't charging.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,130

Originally posted by dbstylin34

dragons nest is amazing.

I will have to agree with this. Dragon Nest is a very good game.

You can also play eve online for free, is a bit of a push if you want to go free from the get go but 2 of you will make it easier.  The fact that the skill training is in real time seemed to me to be very casual friendly.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Champions Online, Fallen Earth is going if it hasnt already gone f2p as well.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by Mannish

dragons nest is amazing.

I will add my agreement to this.Though I'm not a big fan of the Anime style personally,I am still having a blas tpalying this game and am enjoying it more than Vindictus which it is in the same genre and general gameplay style of which has an art style I much prefer.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,130

Originally posted by Drakynn

Originally posted by Mannish

dragons nest is amazing.

I will add my agreement to this.Though I'm not a big fan of the Anime style personally,I am still having a blas tpalying this game and am enjoying it more than Vindictus which it is in the same genre and general gameplay style of which has an art style I much prefer.

I could never really get into those Anime type games but the art style of Dragon Nest looks good to me. 

ya i just started DragonNest and its a cute combo of Diablo, GW, and Fate.

Isn't f2p as shuch, but free atm.  Essentially you just make an account and don't pay.  They moved support over to black prophecy and while they aren't working on neocron 2 they aren't charging.

as far as i can tell it wont even let me have a trial account w/o getting the euro version of paypal -- click2pay. which i can't do at this time.

i am downloading the client though and i'll see if i can find a 'backdoor' into the f2p they have going right now. wish they'd just go ahead and make it f2p all the way, if simply for the reason of building some playerbase and hype for v.2, ah well.

if you have any more suggestions or specifics that perhaps i am missing, let me know if you get the chance.

thanks again for the info.

as far as i can tell it wont even let me have a trial account w/o getting the euro version of paypal -- click2pay. which i can't do at this time.

i am downloading the client though and i'll see if i can find a 'backdoor' into the f2p they have going right now. wish they'd just go ahead and make it f2p all the way, if simply for the reason of building some playerbase and hype for v.2, ah well.

if you have any more suggestions or specifics that perhaps i am missing, let me know if you get the chance.

Check out the neocron 2 threads on this site, someone was offering to make accounts for people interested(may be a similar thread on the neocron 2 website).  And yeah unfortunately click2pay is pretty bad.

Check out the neocron 2 threads on this site, someone was offering to make accounts for people interested(may be a similar thread on the neocron 2 website).  And yeah unfortunately click2pay is pretty bad.

thanks for all the help! i ll check out their own forums next.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

+1 to Dragon Nest. Otherwise I'd suggest Vindictus or Dungeon Fighter Online. All 3 games are very fun if you have someone else to play with since they are very party-centric, although good players can still solo a good bunch.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

If you are for superhero games, you might want to try Champions Online and in the near future City of Heroes Freedom.

I am waiting to try Dragon Nest once the global version is released.