Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did people honestly forget about playable races being ONLY humanoid?

13»

Comments

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

What do you think theyll be putting in the expansion packs?

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Really guys? Everyone goes on about how this game isnt half-assed, and how the developers care about Star Wars and its Lore and creating a story based in the Star Wars universe, and you cant even play as a Rodian? A Mon Cal? Trandoshan?

Instead we get red and blue skinned humans and Twi-leks, thats it! Come on now guys, seriously with a budget of 150 mill, they could do the fans and the lore some justice and do some more intricate playable races.

I was just looking over the SWTOR offical Forums and apparently "The Developers will add more races at launch". And everyone excited because "They already have Models in the game for other races."

Again, is there where MMO's have brought us?

Where people lower their expectations completely and hope that they just magically pop in with the other races at a later date, come on, how many MMO's have you played where they have models in the game for multiple other lore based races that never make it in?

Anyone else disgusted with the slim difference in Races currently in TOR?

No, it's just that debate is so last year. In case you missed it it was one side claiming that TOR would fail because it didn't have enough race options against the other side that could care less about it. I was on the side of "Could care less." It's not that we have lowered expectations, it's just that our expectations are elsewhere for this game. Sorry.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Methos12

I think everyone got over it by now and either accepted it or moved on.

Quite so.

Hopefully an Xpack will bring more alien looking races into the sandbox

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Originally posted by monstermmo

What do you think theyll be putting in the expansion packs?

Based on the way things work with this game, I am more inclined to believe they will not be adding a lot more species, but more classes. From what I can tell species has no bearing on game play except to limit your class options. So any expansion will need to contain new content, and that means new stories and the possibility for alts, the best way to get people to make alts is to add new classes. Sure they can add new species, but that's not going to ever be the focus because of their design choices. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Havok2all
    One of the main reason non-humanoid species aren't in the game is time/money constraints. For every playable species that isn't humanoid, meaning different body models, every piece of armor and clothing has to be redone to fit that specific body form. Since most non-humanoid species in the SW universe has a different body form/shape, a whole line of specific armor and clothing has to be design specifically for each of them. That is a crap load of time and money.
    It is more sensible to introduce one species at a time after launch once man power, time and money is more available to dedicate to such an endeavor.

^^ this

/thread

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Havok2all

One of the main reason non-humanoid species aren't in the game is time/money constraints. For every playable species that isn't humanoid, meaning different body models, every piece of armor and clothing has to be redone to fit that specific body form. Since most non-humanoid species in the SW universe has a different body form/shape, a whole line of specific armor and clothing has to be design specifically for each of them. That is a crap load of time and money.

It is more sensible to introduce one species at a time after launch once man power, time and money is more available to dedicate to such an endeavor.

^^ this

/thread

This only works though if the OP actually meant "humanoid". The species they listed were Mon Cals and Rodians, both of which are bipedal humaniods, they just do not look human in the face. 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Doesn't disturb me at all, but then again, it hardly registers on my priority wishlist, it's a complete non-issue to me. But then again, I've played LotrO, GW, AoC, Aion and other MMO's where the choice in races was even more limited and still enjoyed those games hugely, so I'm pretty indifferent towards it.

Those that apparently can't have fun in an MMORPG without whining because it doesn't have the wide range of non-humanoid races they care for, I'd suggest to go and play EQ2, that should be a nice MMO for them image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Doesn't disturb me at all, but then again, it hardly registers on my priority wishlist, it's a complete non-issue to me. But then again, I've played LotrO, GW, AoC, Aion and other MMO's where the choice in races was even more limited and still enjoyed those games hugely, so I'm pretty indifferent towards it.

Those that apparently can't have fun in an MMORPG without whining because it doesn't have the wide range of non-humanoid races they care for, I'd suggest to go and play EQ2, that should be a nice MMO for them image

Interesting you should mention LotRO and AoC, (the other games are ignored here because they are not built on a pre-existing IP). The races of LotRO and AoC are more limited than SWTOR, sort of, but in both cases this is because of the IP.

Lord Rings really only has Hobbits, Humans, Elves (which are rare in most cases) and Dwarves as important characters, yet LotRO actually offers players a chance to play all of those as well as Orc, Spiders, Uruk, and and Warg. The game play is certainly different, but the IP calls for it to be. The races players can access fit perfectly into the IP. 

The World of Conan is inhabited by men, as far as sentient characters goes - men of different tribes. The Aqyilonia, Cimmeria, Stygian represent the bulk of the characters those aquainted with the lore might run into, the only one that fans might argue needed to be included was really the Picts. The problem that the developer would encounter with allowing for all of the races that Howard mentions in his work is that the ability to differentiate them, even if only through dress and archetecture becomes horrible mess. So they pick the most famous/fitting and go from there. 

The task in front of BW is far more complex. If we go by main characters you are really only left with humans, a wookiee and an unknown species of green muppet (Yoda). Yet the entirety of the saga is filled with interesting and exotic aliens. I would guess if I had to that there are more varied species of aliens in Star Wars than there are in any other Sci-Fi IP, even Star Trek. No one in their right mind is asking BW to add every single one of these or even a tenth of them. But of the six species that I'm aware have been confirmed (Chiss, Human, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki, Sith, Twi'lek, and Zabrak) only one of them is remotely exotic and even in that instance it is has become a rather cliche species to anyone with even a cursory familiarity with the Expanded Universe. For anyone who has even just seen the Cantina scene from ANH (species in the scene:  Arcona, Shistavanen, Defel, Stennes, Siniteen, Advozse, Abyssin, Talz, Sakiyan, Gotals, M'iiyoom Onith, Qiraash, Lutrillia, Saurin, Morseerian, Snivvians, Rodian, Aqualish, Chadra-Fan, Devaron, Bith, Duros, Ranats, Ithorian, Nimbanese a few of these were in fact seen again in the bar scene from Attack of the Clones) there appears to be a glaring disconnect between the diversity of the galaxy and the diversity of the games galaxy.