Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO Give the game a chance.

Comments

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Like I said, that's what a sensible person would do :)

Though you can do the trial and still buy at the reduced price if you like it, just wait till 10 minutes before the offer closes. That way you still get a chance to actually try before you buy.

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by Betel

Viral marketing includes people, paid by the company, making posts on boards such as this in order to promote the product. That is dishonest, as they do not say they have a financial motive for promoting said product and instead pretend to be a normal consumer.

Do you mean to say that starvault  is actually paying people to make posts under the guise of being customers?  Is that your claim, or are you just saying that viral marketing could be defined as including such practices... the distinction is important, I think.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Like I said, that's what a sensible person would do :)

Though you can do the trial and still buy at the reduced price if you like it, just wait till 10 minutes before the offer closes. That way you still get a chance to actually try before you buy.

Indeed, that's my goal. However it seems like a person with 2 casual days into the trial, will not really witness most of the bugs that are being talked about. So I will likely pass on the deal and run the trial the full length, maybe a second time as well, as per your suggestion. Unless of course I find a reason to hate the game with very little play time.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Viral marketing includes people, paid by the company, making posts on boards such as this in order to promote the product. That is dishonest, as they do not say they have a financial motive for promoting said product and instead pretend to be a normal consumer.

Do you mean to say that starvault  is actually paying people to make posts under the guise of being customers?  Is that your claim, or are you just saying that viral marketing could be defined as including such practices... the distinction is important, I think.

We do know for a fact SV has recruited people to post here and on other sites, compensation (if any) is moot. SV staff have named MMORPG.com on more than one occasion.  

I win!!! LOL@U

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by HanoverZ

We do know for a fact SV has recruited people to post here and on other sites, compensation (if any) is moot.

uhh, no it isn't moot.  Every business asks for referals, most businesses reward them.  The crux of the supposed treachory is when someone is paid to act like a satisfied customer when in fact they are not.  He's talking about deceit.  A company saying "Hey, tell your friends about us!" is not deceitful, and it doesn't fall under 'viral marketing'.  Or rather, if it does, than 'viral marketing' is way too broad a word to actually have meaning.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

uhh, no it isn't moot.  Every business asks for referals, most businesses reward them.  The crux of the supposed treachory is when someone is paid to act like a satisfied customer when in fact they are not.  He's talking about deceit.  A company saying "Hey, tell your friends about us!" is not deceitful, and it doesn't fall under 'viral marketing'.  Or rather, if it does, than 'viral marketing' is way too broad a word to actually have meaning.

The line is crossed when someone makes a fake account for the sole purpose of making a few posts to "market" the game.  This is also somewhat true for any community member that makes a fake account to say bad things as well. 

If you are part of the company or have a relationship with it... not identifying yourself as such is dishonest in my opinion.

Similarly if you make (or use a previously existing)  a fake account to post under (pro or con) that is also being dishonest.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

It does not need to be an outside agency, it could just be Henrik and co with a plethora of posting accounts.

And yes, I am saying that viral marketing includes people making posts under the guise of being customers. That is a dishonest practice, and has been widely used in the online world. See the various Amazon book review debacles for instance.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by mdelury

Give the game a chance.

I will, I would really like to, when the game implements third-person view.  First-person all the time is enough of a fracture of my enjoyment and disconnect between seeing my character, connecting with my character, playing a mmo the way I am accustom to, that it keeps me away.  But that's me.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

I gave it a retry after their free to comeback period.   And I uninstalled the game again after downloading the god aweful number of patches, updates and spent aprox. 9-10hours downloading the damned game.    And when I hit the launch button, it gave me a funky screen and some graphics glitches then locked up.   I ran a complete check and it found one file was missing/damaged.   So I attempted to find a fix and redownload the game, and 2 days later, when it was done, I relaunched the game.... and guess what SAME EXACT THING!  

So I said frakk it, and unistalled it and deleted it from my registry.    I am happier for it too.    Oh well, another good game concept failed so baddly.  

So much crap, so little quality.

{mod edit}

I dont know anything about that... Im just happy to see some new faces around here, discussing the same things with the same people over and over again grows tiresome. image

I win!!! LOL@U

• mdelurymdelury Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Give the game a chance.

I will, I would really like to, when the game implements third-person view.  First-person all the time is enough of a fracture of my enjoyment and disconnect between seeing my character, connecting with my character, playing a mmo the way I am accustom to, that it keeps me away.  But that's me.

Why do you require a 3rd person view? The game is trying for realism.  Can u magiclly apear behind your self and watch your self walk around and do things......?  Hell i never used the 3rd person views in the origional eq, or even oblivion. Although its a prefrence you should at least try the game out for a few days and see if you are able to get used to it.

Give the game a chance.

Why do you require a 3rd person view? The game is trying for realism.  Can u magiclly apear behind your self and watch your self walk around and do things......? 

Some people prefer 3rd person... I also cant magically conjure a fireball to throw at people either, yet thats in game.

I win!!! LOL@U

I was in highschool when i created this account and i never participated in forums because i joined the army and went to iraq after highschool. I am an oldschool mmo player EQ before POP by far my favorate mmo. WTS two bags of gear at torch 1.

MO reminds me of things i used to do back in eq. Walk around with no map and say where the fuck am i. How do i get to that place typeing /l every sec i walk to find the direction i was heading. Come on guys MMO's do not need to baby it for us i want to be challenege and have to remember what direction i came from in order to get back.  

• ProphecyMOProphecyMO Member Posts: 7

@ Hodo

I also came back for the vetren retry the game thing.  Took me 17 hours to dl/install. 

I quit the game about the time the NGF failed.  (I helped it get started).  Same reasons I quit is the same reasons I did not resub after dawn.

#Placeholding

#Bugs

#Horid Prediction

#Pets still are junk

#Housing and Keeps are still junk

#Disabled features

#Empty World

#Horrible AI

#Rudementary PVE and LOOT from PVE

#Sorry excuse for GMS and CS

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Give the game a chance.

Why do you require a 3rd person view? The game is trying for realism.  Can u magiclly apear behind your self and watch your self walk around and do things......? 

Some people prefer 3rd person... I also cant magically conjure a fireball to throw at people either, yet thats in game.

You just don't know how! image

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Remember to remain on topic in the discussions and refrain from attacking or insinuating things about other posters. Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Thats why the game is considered Fantasy MMORPG. although they are trying to bring as much realism as they can into a fantasy world.

• moin123moin123 Member Posts: 1

If you read throug the concept of this game and you really like it, you should definitely check this out and give it more than 15 minutes (the most frustrating minutes)

This game might be full of bugs, but it's playable, fun and you support a really great concept!

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Give the game a chance.

For the most part, that.  Dont get me wrong, I did play MO a while back, but my preference of third-person is really what I need.  I thoroughly enjoyed Darkfall for 8-months, I'm on-board with the MO sandboxy style, open-world toolbox and capabilities, but I feel so claustrophobic from a game-play perspective in first-person, in addition to what I previously mentioned, that I really couldn't get into it.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Thats why the game is considered Fantasy MMORPG. although they are trying to bring as much realism as they can into a fantasy world.

To me, the first person view is a very immersive factor, but I can understand those who do not like that type of view.  Not being a shooter player, I didn't think I'd like it to begin with.  Now, I prefer it greatly over third person view, and think it adds a lot to the game.

But, like I said, I can certainly understand it not fitting everyone's tastes.  Nothing wrong with that.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Ardentt fandbase of 80 people doesn't do u any good. Specially when (if u were the ceo) you could've spent the last 12 months flushing out leather & cloth armor, daggers & swords.. and not had any of what Henrik has worked on. Then ud have a balance & beginning game.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

I did give it a try through betas and gave up shortly after launch. Was it because of the game? No. As to me stability and performance was tbh better than in case of most themeparks. Same about gameplay that had alot of potential.

I left because of devs that simply didn't show enough skills to use this potential to make a good game. Just let me remind start of open beta, then some discussions. Like idea of some basic trade tools that originally got trashed byt some SV ppl just to be introduced (unless they again changed it) but this time as their own initiative. And many other things.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Jade, I signed up for the 14 day trial, but ended up just buying the dang thing and going full blast. All my skills were capped and it was impossible to get anything done that I wanted to try out. I'm in the process of putting the time in the a good review and am giving the game a real shot.

I started off in Morin Khur, a nice sized city with a lot of traffic. I've met some good people so far and despite the bugs Mortal Online is not half bad. Actually...ah, I don't want to give too much away, but I got the client and month for 24 bucks and its worth it.

You can whisper me ingame, names the same.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by Inktomi

Jade, I signed up for the 14 day trial, but ended up just buying the dang thing and going full blast. All my skills were capped and it was impossible to get anything done that I wanted to try out. I'm in the process of putting the time in the a good review and am giving the game a real shot.

I started off in Morin Khur, a nice sized city with a lot of traffic. I've met some good people so far and despite the bugs Mortal Online is not half bad. Actually...ah, I don't want to give too much away, but I got the client and month for 24 bucks and its worth it.

You can whisper me ingame, names the same.

I know you may not have run into many of the issues due to the brevity of your MO experience, but take a read through this thread: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/65098-mortal-rapidly-losing-momentum.html just to familiarize yourself with some of the issues the game and community are facing.   I look forward to your review in a month or so.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• 1-8-71-8-7 Member Posts: 74

I fully agree with op.  The game has a trial, give it a chance.  Theres a high learning curve compared to other games.