Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me with the Lotro lore.

Hello guys I have just started playing lotro in the snowbourn server. I decided to get into lotro because I've seen the movies and it just fits for a mmorpg with the indepth scale and all. I am level 13 now but I need someoen to explain what is going on. I've seen the movies but the game is much more indepth because of the all the background explaining so I really want to know in detail. So far what is the background story of lotro and what is going on in the cities? In quests so far they say that evil is starting to spread. Is that about it?

Comments

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

See, this guy called Tolkien wrote these books...

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

Well, guy, I don't know what to tell you.  You saw the movies, you were not in them so anything you do in the game has to be filler based on the side lore.  The epic questlines advance you toward the actual movie story.  The rest is just flavorings based on the areas the fellowship went through or were mentioned in the books.  Sometimes whole zones are based on a passing reference as small as a couple of lines.

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Basiclally, you start the game when the Black Riders are looking for the ring in the Shire and while Frodo and the hobbits are trying to escape, you stay behind and deal with the Evil problems that they left behind.

The first book of the Epic storyline is the search for the hobbits.

Each race has a different prologue story so i don't really have time to write them all up so i suggest you try each of them to know more.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by Goerilla

... but I need someoen to explain what is going on. I've seen the movies but the game is much more indepth because of the all the background explaining so I really want to know in detail. So far what is the background story of lotro and what is going on in the cities? In quests so far they say that evil is starting to spread. Is that about it?

The game is based off of Tolkiens books, not the movies.  If you read the 3 books (or 4 if you throw in the Hobbit to see where the ring came from) you'll have a much better idea of what's going on.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• GoerillaGoerilla Member Posts: 91

What is shadows of Angmar and how does it relate to the rings and Frodo? Also who is the witch king?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

"One does not simply walk into Mortor..."

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Goerilla

What is shadows of Angmar and how does it relate to the rings and Frodo? Also who is the witch king?

The Witch King is your father, young Luke... Oops sorry wrong game!

• GoerillaGoerilla Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by Elidien

To answer your question, the Witch King is Lord of Angmar and the most powerful of the ring wraiths. The Shadows of Angmar refers to the fact that dark forces are massing in Amgar and threat is looming.

If you are really interested in LOTR's, I would highly recommend looking into these two books:

JRR Tolkien: A Biography by Humphrey Carpenter

JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century by T.A. Shippey

Much of the lore for LOTR comes out of historical myhtology (The Norse Elder Edda for example) and is detailed in these books. In addition if you are really, really into the lore, I would recommened the multi-volume History of The Lord of the Rings edited by Christopher Tolkien.

Alrgiht thanks that all i needed to know really.