Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

graphic card question

XciserXciser Member UncommonPosts: 102

I have CF radeon 6850s,  I play all games and everything fine on max right now and its great.  When I open Battlefield bad company 2, I get black screen horizontal lines randomly while playing, its really random and sometimes wont happen for hours so it doesnt affect my gameplay much.  Other people had this problem and they said it was 10.4 profile fix.  so i installed CC profiles but It still happens.  I also have vertical sync on cuz of screen tearing but the problem still persists, i dont think its screen tearing cuz other games that have just as good graphics run fine.  At this point Im just going accept that i dont understand the use of profiles or if i correctly made it work but my big question is if it can hurt the graphics card?

This is what the screen looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URmHGFE-UXs

Comments

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

that game should not have any problems at all related to any multi gpu setup. 

are you running sapphire trixx or msi afterburner software? punkbuster has an issue with those programs causing BF to crash and it has not been fixed yet.

also, you could try to disable bloom. go to your documents folder, look for BFBC2 folder and open the settings.ini. set bloom to false.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Make sure you are running the latest drivers (11.6) and the latest profiles (11.6CAP3). If you are over clocking at all, put it all back to stock clocks (make sure AMD Overdrive is off in the Catalyst control panel).

Try disabling Crossfire and see if you notice a) a drop in performance, and b) the horizontal lines - that doesn't really tell what the problem is, but it gives some interesting information.

I'm willing to bet it's some obscure combination of graphics options and profile settings. After installing the latest drivers and profiles, check the game out, and keep flipping graphics options off until the black lines go away.

I don't think it will hurt your card, but it is possible that it's artifacting from overheating, and that could over a long time period. You can install something like SpeedFan or Riva Tuner and monitor the card temperature while your in the game - anything much over 90C is getting iffy.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by matf91

I have CF radeon 6850s,  I play all games and everything fine on max right now and its great.  When I open Battlefield bad company 2, I get black screen horizontal lines randomly while playing, its really random and sometimes wont happen for hours so it doesnt affect my gameplay much.  Other people had this problem and they said it was 10.4 profile fix.  so i installed CC profiles but It still happens.  I also have vertical sync on cuz of screen tearing but the problem still persists, i dont think its screen tearing cuz other games that have just as good graphics run fine.  At this point Im just going accept that i dont understand the use of profiles or if i correctly made it work but my big question is if it can hurt the graphics card?

This is what the screen looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URmHGFE-UXs

I also have crossifired 6850s (Gigabyte factory OC'd - see my signature for full PC specs). I just got that game a couple weeks ago and I have experienced the same exact thing. No issues with any other games and it only happens intermittenly with BFBC2. Let me know if you figure it out. Love that game! Visit the thread I made about it yesterday in general gaming!

LOL - some folks on Youtube suspect it's your soldier "blinking" from dust in his eyes. Probably not but strangely realistic huh?

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Well based on my Googling, doesn't look like there's a fix for it and it is a common problem experienced by many players. Having the latest drivers and turning off bloom does nothing to stop it. One dude said turning off catalyst AI fixed it. Others suggest it could be overheating but I doubt it. Hopefully it doesn't happen in BF3!