Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the crafting

dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121

Not seeing much in the way of posts regarding crafting and was wondering how it was. I always like to get involved with it whenever possible. Does it add a lot to the characters in regards to useable and/or sellable items?

I played this game back at the beginning but was too caught up in other mmo's to give it the time it deserved. Now with the lack of anything to play I thought I would take a good look again. Sadly I cannot remember much about the game.

I will probably sub up once I get going, any recommendations or "words of wisdom" in regards to kins or servers i should look for?

I am a mature semi casual player who likes to enjoy the game and its surroundings instead of rushing through content at full speed. (comes with the old age I guess)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

It's mechanically WoW-style click-to-craft but somewhat deeper, with rare ingredients to craft improved versions of items and critical crafting successes, plus more overlapping components between the various profesions. Also, crafted stuff is generally useful, which it isn't in WoW.

As ar as servers, I'm on Landroval and recommend it.  It's population is large, very helpful, and mature.

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

You can find a description of game crafting HERE.

To fill in some details, you learn a vocation (like armorer) comprised of three sub professions (say metal-smith, prospector, and tailor.) It’s typically set up to make sure that you’ll always need refined materials from another vocation to make use of or advance one of your professions.

Crafting is simple mechanically. It starts with a recipe you either get free when leveling, buy from a vendor, or their game store. You take two parts gathered raw ingredient (like copper ingots) and process it into a useful material (copper bar) at a workstation (forge etc.) Often you take it a step further and process the materials on a two to one basis into components to craft an item (like 2 copper bars to a copper blade or hilt.)

Sometimes, you’ll need to purchase vendor supplies like coal or wax to process ingredients on a one to one basis (like 1 wax to a wood plank.)

Crafting has levels (tiers) independent of character adventure leveling. To advance you’ll often need to do a quest that can be as simple as reading a book to as onerous as hunting and killing a creature above your level.

Crafted items are typically better than adventure or quest rewards (if not raid loot) but by the time you grind the materials, pay the expenses and do the work, you may well have out leveled it anyway or got something just as good from skirmish marks a lot easier and in more fun fashion.

I typically recommend for a new player to take the explorer profession while leveling to cap and sell the gathered materials on the auction house. Then you’ll have enough money to buy what you need and can easily change to a crafted items profession (like weapon smith) at high level where some of the special goods that can be made have market value and use.  It also takes an immense amount of grind out f it as you'll have the funds to buy the crafting materials in bulk  by then and no problem doing the tier advancement quests.

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

The items are great to use while leveling. Its pretty easy to craft thigns too. Couple of them are a bit too time consuming for my taste but the reward is worth it. Myself and another person that started at same time helped each other with our first toons a lot this way. We both now have all professions and i cant make pretty much anything up to 40's and my friend all of it.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Its ok if you only know WoW style crafting. If you prefer Vanguard, EQ2 or SWG crafting, you might find crafting in LOTRO not so much fun. I hate nodehunting in LOTRO and WoW myself. Well, I find it annoying in general, but someway I found it less annoying in Vanguard and Fallen Earth. Maybe its because those two games have more then enough nodes, especially if you like to explore. I also dont like the dropped rare ingredients and recipes. On the other hand a friend of mine likes this type of crafting.

• SolidScapeSolidScape Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by blazin-ace

To advance you’ll often need to do a quest that can be as simple as reading a book to as onerous as hunting and killing a creature above your level.

I thought they took those quests out already.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Crafting is a tie in and as people indicated, it's useable and usually better if you wear crit. Most of what needs to be said has. The noteable exception being, the crit items break down in to 2 parts. Diary crits for 1 off recipes and subcomponents. Most of the subcomponent stuff like rock salts can be gotten from the same nodes you get the other material for. You will have more than you will ever use if you craft and gather alot. The other ones, the diary ones can be gotten through rep vendors by way of recipes and these are one off recipes. The key is to take Scholar recipes because scholars make these journal/ diaries. These you won't have an abundance of because they all take a shard to make meaning your item has now used 2 shards by default but add in a scholar crit buff and the chances of a blue crit are pretty much given.