Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gods and Heros: Rome Rising is 14.99USD on steam. Is it a good deal? or is the game hurting already?

I am always looking for deals daily on STEAM and I saw this one today. It doesnt look like its a limited time sale, so .. i was just wondering (after a few months of the game being live) if it is worth my purchase and sub? Or is the game financialy hurting for subs?

Like many others I am awaiting the next big MMORPG and this one definately peeks my interest.

Work hard Play Harder

Comments

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I was one that absolutely refused to purchase this game at a $30 box since it (the game) was not representative of robust content or mechanics of what some might think of even an indie mmorpg.

But now that it is $15 bucks on steam with the first month free, I plunked down the cash and will play out the first month to see where it takes me.  I am making sure that I dont have a recurring subscription if I need to use a credit card to create or update a gaming account, though.

• HuggmuthHuggmuth Member UncommonPosts: 28

Wort it, the game is doing good.

• FredelasFredelas Member Posts: 36

If all you're looking for is 30 levels of questing and 5 group dungeons along the way, I'd say $15 is an excellent deal including the free month.

As much as I dislike the game, and as many troubles as I've had with it, I can definitely see $15 of value in it. (Just not the $50 I paid for it!)

You can skip entering credit card details when you add your game code (I think the button says "Delay Payment") and avoid setting up a subscription that way. You'll still be able to play your first 30 days.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

i have seen some combat videos on youtube and i looking all but appealing to me.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by Fredelas

If all you're looking for is 30 levels of questing and 5 group dungeons along the way, I'd say $15 is an excellent deal including the free month.

As much as I dislike the game, and as many troubles as I've had with it, I can definitely see $15 of value in it. (Just not the $50 I paid for it!)

You can skip entering credit card details when you add your game code (I think the button says "Delay Payment") and avoid setting up a subscription that way. You'll still be able to play your first 30 days.

Fair advise, especially about the credit card details and getting that free 30 days. Thank you for your response.

Work hard Play Harder

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

$15 dollars is still too expensive

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

its a good deal i think.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It's definitely worth checking out. While it's got the familiar classes and quest based gameplay, it has several nice features it's developing such as the Estates amd squad-based combat. 

It;s also refereshing to go your first 5-10 levels of an MMO without the standard fare of spiders, rats and goblins. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Chrono223Chrono223 Member UncommonPosts: 46

First, why is the game still too expensive?? $14.99 is a good deal considering most console games and Single Player rpgs cost 2-3 times that price and last you like max 15 hours (I am exagerating yes but my clients are unhappy with games that cannot last more than a week/week-end)

Also, the steam deal INCLUDES 2 items that you can redeem to your characters. There is also an option to pay wit the credit card or paypal later. I think it's 1 day to decide or something.

Good deal in my opinion while waiting on other games to come out.

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

There is currently no way to alter your subscription on their site, and the support service is awful.  If I get billed for another months subscription I will be very annoyed.  If I have to go to the effort of cancelling my subscription with my bank it will also irritate me a fair bit.   I am just fed up with buying half finished games, with little scope for a refund which you would be able to get without a quibble for any other half-finished good or service.  But circa $15 may make it worth a look for a few hours of frustration. 

Chins

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'm just confused that nowwhere on their website is mentioned how high the subscription fee is. I know of course that the game works, but still... if it would be my game, and I'd want people to buy it, then I'd try to answer the questions they think of as beeing the most important. Like "how much do I have to pay?". Not to mention that their FAQ is still from beta times, talking about "getting into detail when the game is released". Don't they have a single person maintaining the website? This is very confusing. I asked their support about the maintenance fee in Europe (as said, it's mentioned nowwhere on the website) but they haven't replied yet.

I might buy the game anyway, because with the minions and estate it seems interesting. But seriously? Website from beta times? The most important information missing? Support that doesn't reply? oO?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by maji

I'm just confused that nowwhere on their website is mentioned how high the subscription fee is. 

If their sub price was anything other than 14.95 I'd see that as a reasonable complaint, but considering

1) the price of a subscription has been 14.95 for almost every subscription MMO for almost a decade

and

2) the person confused is someone who has been in the MMO community for over seven years

your confusion is confusing to me. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ReprobateReprobate Member Posts: 18

The sub price is $10 a month

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by Chrono223
    There is also an option to pay wit the credit card or paypal later. I think it's 1 day to decide or something.

I'd just like quick clarification is this relating to paying for the initial product or for entering the game subscription? I may give it a go if you pay once and get the 30 days free no strings attached, otherwise no.

• FredelasFredelas Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Xexv

Originally posted by Chrono223

There is also an option to pay wit the credit card or paypal later. I think it's 1 day to decide or something.

I'd just like quick clarification is this relating to paying for the initial product or for entering the game subscription? I may give it a go if you pay once and get the 30 days free no strings attached, otherwise no.

After puchasing the game and entering your product key on godsandheroes.com, you can click a button labeled "Delay Payment" which skips adding a subscription to your account. (You shouldn't even have to enter a payment method.)

You'll still be able to play the game for 30 days with no strings attached.

Also of note, Heatwave announced today that free 3-day trials will be available for anyone starting next week.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

As an update to my origonal post.  I'm kinda enjoying the game-play.  It has a unique feel to it and I like the concept.  I have no regrets on paying $15 for this;  I bought it just the other day.

And yea, I didnt have to sign-up for any payment plan, nor did I see any defer monthly payment button within my account page after putting in my purchase key.  I just put in my code, the other day, within my account on their site and started playing my 30-days free.

We'll see where it goes, but one thing I did wrong, and I re-rolled because of it, is I didnt choose a color-pattern for my toons clothing at creation, so was left with the default brown; I re-rolled.  Also, the client seems to hang or crash on character creation if you attempt to create a character with a name that already exists.  Some posted that the hang is temporary and resolves itself, but I'm too impatient for that, so I found myself alt-tabbing to close the client on a couple of occasions while choosing a character name that was available.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Thanks Fred I've actually gone ahead and bought the game off Steam and I just spent a few hours play, stopping at the estate. The client hung for me also when I put in an already used name but it did resolve itself whilst I was out having a smoke.

After forcing the game into fullscreen mode it seemed alot less choppy on full graphics, though the shadows were rather glitchy, (perhaps crossfire). The game crashed 3 times in all whilst I was playing, though it did give me a bug report option each time which did allay my irritation somewhat.

I spent about five minutes on the game in open beta but playing now it does certainly have a particular charm so far which is welcome. When I got my first minion I was particularly excited, (short skirt, woof). The quests were largely pretty basic affairs but the dialogue was quite well written and on occasion self-deprecating which I found rather endearing. There were also several lore NPCs dotted around which I enjoyed making use of.

Anyway thanks for this post Cik as I wouldn't of noticed on Steam otherwise. Depending on the performance of the dev team during my 30 free days the game may have just got another subscriber.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by maji

I'm just confused that nowwhere on their website is mentioned how high the subscription fee is. 

If their sub price was anything other than 14.95 I'd see that as a reasonable complaint, but considering

1) the price of a subscription has been 14.95 for almost every subscription MMO for almost a decade

and

2) the person confused is someone who has been in the MMO community for over seven years

your confusion is confusing to me. :)

If you read his post he's asking what the price is for Europe not US, which i think is $9.99 a month not $14.95, but as he says it doesn't actually say this anywhere on their website so I could very well be wrong.

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206

The game is as good as dead. Even with the deal of 14,99, they have like 50 people on 3 servers. So....you ask me if its ok? Nope, its down and bad. They cant even give what they promise!