Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG but without Star Wars context

ArneR76ArneR76 Member UncommonPosts: 2

I wonder if it would be possible to make a SWG comeback without the Starwars stuff.. Dont think Starwars was what made this game so good. For me it was the crafting and surveing.

Comments

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

I think there are about 250k of us waiting with ya.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by ArneR76

I wonder if it would be possible to make a SWG comeback without the Starwars stuff.. Dont think Starwars was what made this game so good. For me it was the crafting and surveing.

How do you mean that?

A new company copying the 'style' and uniquness of the game?

or

SOE re-releasing SWG but calling it Space Life or something?

The 1st may very well happen - new game, new engine, new setting, new developing company but a very in-depth MMO SIM.

The 2nd will NEVER happen. SOE simply doesn't have the time, money, nor the ability to remove every referance, piece of text, model, art assets, characters, NPC names, clothing, locations etc, that resemble anything "Star Wars"...which they would be forced to do.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

That would make a lot more sense because I always thought the game did a poor job of representing the IP. Change the planet names, change the scenery a bit, change the profession names and you could still hardly tell the difference. But at least you wouldn't have a farce masquerading around as a Star Wars game. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• VenekorVenekor Member Posts: 62

Just release SWG from launch, that version of the game had nothing in it lol. 

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Spaceballs...The MMO!

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146

I support this idea.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Build a script that shifts the letters one to the right in names, call it an alien language. So instead of Tatooine, you'd visit Ysyppomr. You could probably get away with just claiming that it takes place in a future where Russia has colonized the universe.

Also those lightsabers? Those aren't jedi, they're ravers, with massive glowsticks. 

Issue fixed with probably about 10 lines of code and a few hours to compile.

• bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by ktanner3

That would make a lot more sense because I always thought the game did a poor job of representing the IP. Change the planet names, change the scenery a bit, change the profession names and you could still hardly tell the difference. But at least you wouldn't have a farce masquerading around as a Star Wars game. 

Now, I know the game had a ewoks with wings and stuff... but other than that, how did it not reprent the IP well?  I always thought it did a pretty good job, at least on Tatooine, at representing the SW universe.

And I don't think you could easily change the game's make-up so that it wasn't SW.  It would take a lot of work, but it could be done.  Sounds like a fan project.  However, nobody's really stoping the SWEMU, so they could probably get away with continuing to do it with the SW ip.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by bleed0range

Now, I know the game had a ewoks with wings and stuff... but other than that, how did it not reprent the IP well?  I always thought it did a pretty good job, at least on Tatooine, at representing the SW universe.

The many jedi flashing their lightsabers during the Empire Strikes Back era wasn't an immersion killer for you?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by Faxxer

I'd login this game NOW if it comes out.  I'd forget all about the new MMOs coming out.  Scrap the Jedis who ruined SWG, scrap the SW setting.  Like someone said just rename the planets, the classes a bit as needed, I so miss it :( 

I'll be there asap when any game comes out using the early days of SWG setup...

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Originally posted by Faxxer

I'd login this game NOW if it comes out.  I'd forget all about the new MMOs coming out.  Scrap the Jedis who ruined SWG, scrap the SW setting.  Like someone said just rename the planets, the classes a bit as needed, I so miss it :( 

I'll be there asap when any game comes out using the early days of SWG setup...

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this idea will never see the light of day.  I mean seriously, its been 5 years and not one company decided it was worth an attempt to copy to get the people that left and no games currently known to be in development either.  I'd say its a pipe dream.  I think you'd get yourself about 100k sub rate with a game that basically was copy/paste without the SW tag.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I liked it with the Star Wars skin.

I imagine I would like it without the Star Wars skin. No, I'm pretty sure that if a developer came along and packaged everything Pre CU had with alot more polish, with JTL equivalent and intelligent housing placing restrictions, yeah, I'd pre-order day one.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

To be honest I've felt it should have been just that all along.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

I copy of SWG at its present state stripped of brand name would fail I think.

Gimme PreCU Profession system, crafting, surveying, planets, sandbox feel, and combat. Although make some MINOR changes to combat...faster, collision system, and maybe a FPS type crosshair aiming for ranged. 

Update animations, textures, models, physics. Oh and a decent story to follow.

Guess it would be an entirely new game then eh?

• bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by bleed0range

The many jedi flashing their lightsabers during the Empire Strikes Back era wasn't an immersion killer for you?

My bad.  I forgot about that.  I got so used to seeing them for so long I forgot that it has absolute freaking nothing to do with that era of SW.

Sometimes I feel like this generation full of prequels and clone wars has completely diluted what SW used to be to the point where I can't REALLY remember anymore.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

i challenge any company to make a game with the same features (pre CU)

i would assume it would have to stay sci-fi due to JTL but the main features i would love to see

skill system would be IDENTICAL (minus name changes) but have 4 branches + novice/Master with hybrids and elite professions. (and there needs to be more than 30

professions that are a must keep: doctor, CH, ... now that i think of it... ALL OF THEM!! just change the name to fit the universe you create. 

the TEF system (with 2-3 factions) name them however you want. green v yellow v black (green lantern reference :) ) this is the perfect ballance for those who want to pvp and those who dont and allowing them to live together.

Planetary travel 

space and ships pewpew (and all sort of ships from personal to multi passenger to guild habitat)

make it an original universe, like project entropia, with weird ass creatures with hair on their eyeballs

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

I think the pre-CU style of game would be awesome in a quasi-medieval setting. Pre-CU seemed to be heavily about melee professions so it would make sense. Make the Rifleman into a Crossbowman, Carbineer into Longbowman, etc... Change the planets into continents. The only magic would be healing magic, which is why it would be a medieval setting and not fantasy.

I don't see how space would figure into it, but then again that was never a big importance to me. I know many found it important, but this is my daydream. :)