Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Official Video

2»

Comments

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by osmunda

Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say, 'I think it's pretty!"

To those harping about "the sophisticated tracking software", the "tracking software" would be the game. Without constantly tracking the movement of all the players , there is no game. 

I know I'm being self-referential, but I couldn't think of a better way to say this.

The "tracking" is done by the game itself. All they had to do was add a plug-in that sureveys the location of all players once a minute and returns an x,y, and z axis and records it to a spreadsheet along with a time stamp. To create the map they just plug those numbers into a 3d modeling program. Compared to what goes into an MMO this is a trivial amount of programming and a trivial amount of computing power, so this has little impaxt on the development of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those claiming this map is false or misleading, a quick reality check..........

A quick check at X-fire shows a minimum of  9,130 minutes played yesterday (presuming every single MO player records all of their play sessions with X-fire)  Over the course of a few days (let's say 10) that is 91,300 points on the map, Now, obviously not 100% of MO players are on Xfire, so let's go with an estimate of 10% (for EVE it's about 0.5%). At that rate, there would be 913,000 points on the map (or 1 million if we want to go to round numbers)

1 million is a sort of low-ball estimate of the number of points you would expect on the map. For those claiming that the map is misleading, how many points are on the map and why is that an unrealistic number ? (show your work)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I think it's pretty. Arguing over the accuracy of this map is like arguing about Jackson Pollack's use of shading. It's cool music with intereting visuals. I have no idea how many points are on the map or what it says about the population of Nave. I think it;s pretty (kind of like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_d-gs0WoUw or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUSP23cmAE&annotation_id=annotation_79355&feature=iv

I think people are people, I really do, Cliff. Don't you? 

I don't think people should have to explain anything. 

For example, if I should paint my fingernails green 

and it just so happens I do paint them green, 

well, if anyone should ask me why, I say, 'I think it's pretty!' 

('I think it's pretty,' I reply). 

• DreCat11DreCat11 Member Posts: 33

To those harping about "the sophisticated tracking software", the "tracking software" would be the game. Without constantly tracking the movement of all the players , there is no game. 

I know I'm being self-referential, but I couldn't think of a better way to say this.

The "tracking" is done by the game itself. All they had to do was add a plug-in that sureveys the location of all players once a minute and returns an x,y, and z axis and records it to a spreadsheet along with a time stamp. To create the map they just plug those numbers into a 3d modeling program. Compared to what goes into an MMO this is a trivial amount of programming and a trivial amount of computing power, so this has little impaxt on the development of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those claiming this map is false or misleading, a quick reality check..........

A quick check at X-fire shows a minimum of  9,130 minutes played yesterday (presuming every single MO player records all of their play sessions with X-fire)  Over the course of a few days (let's say 10) that is 91,300 points on the map, Now, obviously not 100% of MO players are on Xfire, so let's go with an estimate of 10% (for EVE it's about 0.5%). At that rate, there would be 913,000 points on the map (or 1 million if we want to go to round numbers)

1 million is a sort of low-ball estimate of the number of points you would expect on the map. For those claiming that the map is misleading, how many points are on the map and why is that an unrealistic number ? (show your work)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I think it's pretty. Arguing over the accuracy of this map is like arguing about Jackson Pollack's use of shading. It's cool music with intereting visuals. I have no idea how many points are on the map or what it says about the population of Nave. I think it;s pretty (kind of like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_d-gs0WoUw or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUSP23cmAE&annotation_id=annotation_79355&feature=iv

I think people are people, I really do, Cliff. Don't you? 

I don't think people should have to explain anything. 

For example, if I should paint my fingernails green 

and it just so happens I do paint them green, 

well, if anyone should ask me why, I say, 'I think it's pretty!' 

('I think it's pretty,' I reply). 

You want a reality check:

Most MO players leave there chars online to shave off there mudercounts, ALMOST ALL MO PLAYERS DO THAT, so your xfire minutes are false accuastion. therefore most mo players are AFK and just w8ing for there mudercount to go down.

Think about it before you claim your point.

To Add: most MO players get murdercounts off bugs and killing greys, this game is a joke, it doesnt work and they add things that are usless to the playerbase, USLESS JUNK, why not Fix the broken game before anything?

Originally posted by DreCat11

Most MO players leave there chars online to shave off there mudercounts, ALMOST ALL MO PLAYERS DO THAT, so your xfire minutes are false accuastion. therefore most mo players are AFK and just w8ing for there mudercount to go down.

That (and similar arguments) is why I went with 10% instead of 0.5%. If we assumed MO players had similar xfire membership and behaved in similar ways to EVE players then there would be 10-20 million points on the map.

Quick question: if  almost all MO characters are murderers, how do they get enough new murder counts (i.e. kill non murderers)  that they need to work off the statloss counter?

That (and similar arguments) is why I went with 10% instead of 0.5%. If we assumed MO players had similar xfire membership and behaved in similar ways to EVE players then there would be 10-20 million points on the map.

Quick question: if  almost all MO characters are murderers, how do they get enough new murder counts (i.e. kill non murderers)  that they need to work off the statloss counter?

LOL have you even played MO????, most players are blue, but it takes 5 murder kills to become a murder, I know guilds will stay in the keep to shave off there 4 or 3 murder counts they got off nubs traveling or even gathering or blue enemys.

Can you take 12-15 hours that a player is AFK while they sleep and go to work,, Lets say to help your arguement and most MO players play atleast 6 hours a day,

--------------------------------------

24 hours in a Day

12 hours AFK (i say more than 12 from my experience but we will keep at 12)

6 Hours Online to makin pointless points

Total : 18 hours in MO

-------------------------------------

6 hours = 360 mins

--------------------------------------------------------

Your Claims:

you claim that 9130 mins have been played yesterday

and you claim that 91,300 points over ten days,

(Let me ask you all thos people at the bank, crafters table, bulding houses, AFK macroing, gathering etc they are standing still so your number is inccorect saying they make a point every minute)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Results:

9130 points a Day is False, you take routhly 75% of thos minutes to AFK,( 12 hours AFK, 6 Hours Online)

SO where does that take us hmmmmmm

6847 points AFK

2283 points made a day with 6 hours always making a point a minute, not counting gathering, bank, macoring, talking, eating in real life, restroom breaks, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I believe with all thos included you are looking at

<1000 points a day from xfire nubs if they are lucky cause i know alot of people dont play 6 hours of MO, they will rage if they did

Going off Your Numbers

--------------------------------------------------

btw your looking at 1000 est mins played?

How many players can get 1000 mins?

hmmmm 3 if they played 6 hours!

lets make that 6 people on xfire play 3 hours a day which will be a est 1000 mins. 

How about 17 people who play about a hour my point is the population is SOOO LOW IN MO, it cant be compared to EVE AT ALL. because the population is huge in EVE making th percent of xfire nubs very very very low get my point?

and again its a close est.

-----------------------------------------------

Get my point!

Your accusations are false!

Got my Reality Check Son!

SV is just trying to HYPE this broken game!

Simple as that!

------------------------------

We aint dumb to see Star Vault screwing us. Its all there

They cant even fix their own game, but use this crap to distract us from the real problem

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

in my guild around 5 people burn off statloss counts out of 40, statloss counts are 4 hours per count not 8 thats murdercounts which my guild and many others dont worry about. Also with the assault list there are no accidental hits against friends or guild members that would give you a murdercount. MO is one of the least grindy mmos out there, AFK macroing is not really present in MO considering a rock has what 4k ore and it takes 15mins? so you can only macro 15 mins per rock whcih is hardly macroing. Also there are no 100% safe zones in MO meaning macroers are always at risk of dying unless of course they are a ghost. Ontop of that most skills train exremely fast i mean if i macro swords for 1 hour i get 100 in that skill and i dont have to do it ever again.

i think your perception on people dropping murderconuts is blown way out of proportion, for example take the recent war in gk. 95% of the gk defenders are red so how are the attackers going to take murdercounts? unless they are killing naked crafters (pointless?)

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

LOL have you even played MO????, most players are blue, but it takes 5 murder kills to become a murder, I know guilds will stay in the keep to shave off there 4 or 3 murder counts they got off nubs traveling or even gathering or blue enemys.

Can you take 12-15 hours that a player is AFK while they sleep and go to work,, Lets say to help your arguement and most MO players play atleast 6 hours a day,

--------------------------------------

24 hours in a Day

12 hours AFK (i say more than 12 from my experience but we will keep at 12)

6 Hours Online to makin pointless points

Total : 18 hours in MO

-------------------------------------

6 hours = 360 mins

--------------------------------------------------------

Your Claims:

you claim that 9130 mins have been played yesterday

and you claim that 91,300 points over ten days,

(Let me ask you all thos people at the bank, crafters table, bulding houses, AFK macroing, gathering etc they are standing still so your number is inccorect saying they make a point every minute)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Results:

9130 points a Day is False, you take routhly 75% of thos minutes to AFK,( 12 hours AFK, 6 Hours Online)

SO where does that take us hmmmmmm

6847 points AFK

2283 points made a day with 6 hours always making a point a minute, not counting gathering, bank, macoring, talking, eating in real life, restroom breaks, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I believe with all thos included you are looking at

<1000 points a day from xfire nubs if they are lucky cause i know alot of people dont play 6 hours of MO, they will rage if they did

Going off Your Numbers

--------------------------------------------------

btw your looking at 1000 est mins played?

How many players can get 1000 mins?

hmmmm 3 if they played 6 hours!

lets make that 6 people on xfire play 3 hours a day which will be a est 1000 mins. 

How about 17 people who play about a hour my point is the population is SOOO LOW IN MO, it cant be compared to EVE AT ALL. because the population is huge in EVE making th percent of xfire nubs very very very low get my point?

and again its a close est.

-----------------------------------------------

Get my point!

Your accusations are false!

Got my Reality Check Son!

SV is just trying to HYPE this broken game!

Simple as that!

------------------------------

We aint dumb to see Star Vault screwing us. Its all there

They cant even fix their own game, but use this crap to distract us from the real problem

Let me add, Refining, I forgot takes forever! FOREVER, which makes no points! and again there is no agrument here, population is low, and SV is trying to hype,

I cant belive people out there still believe and support SV for all thos lies and scams they have done to their own playerbase, and thats excluding the broken game they gave us and aint fixing.

Xfire Rank

down from #323 yesterday

Highest: #263 on 2011-04-29

Xfire users playing per day

Minutes played per day

Just to clarify. 16 people played a total of 9,130 minutes (9 1/2 hours each) The amount of time may be inflated by AFK time, but obviously they weren't all AFK for 12 houts of the day.

The population of MO may be low, but it's hard to argue that only 16 people play per day.

P.s. How many points were on the map?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Xfire again?  Didn't we universally decide that basing any argument on 15-19 players was silly?  I mean... 9.5 hours AVERAGE?   And even if we use your 10% rule it would mean that 16/.10 = 160 players all day. That's not peak... that's all day.

So, maybe we can all just agree that until there are hundreds of people using Xfire (instead of 16) it's a waste of time to bring it into any discussion.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Xfire Rank

down from #323 yesterday

Highest: #263 on 2011-04-29

Xfire users playing per day

Minutes played per day

Just to clarify. 16 people played a total of 9,130 minutes (9 1/2 hours each) The amount of time may be inflated by AFK time, but obviously they weren't all AFK for 12 houts of the day.

The population of MO may be low, but it's hard to argue that only 16 people play per day.

P.s. How many points were on the map?

Like i said only 16 est people play on xfire, could be more or less depending on the gamers, its a est, I believe a very close one.

Again some coulda been AFK for  more than 12 hours and other logged off only playing couple hours, its an average amount

Of course the other side of this particular argument is "Look there are lots of dots on the map, that can't be right. Starvault must be lying"  Unless the people claiming that actually come up with a real estimate (as opposed to "lots of dots") and can present something besides purely anecdotal evidence as to why that number is inaccurate they are just throwing mud.  (I'm not even sure it can be called anecdotal when the arguments are coming from people who don't play.

Xfire is imprecise but at least it is numbers. 10% participation is my attempt to low-ball the estimated amount of time played. Estimates from EVE (2,000 xfire users / 200,000 when I logged in on my 14 day trial) and Perpetuum (9 xfire users /500 players at peak time) indicate that it's closer to1 -2 % participation at most.

My main argument is not that the maps show a huge population, it is that even a low ball estimate of population results in a large number of dots  Unless people actually quantify the number of dots on the map, the argument that the map is deceptive is totally pointless. To say something is deceptive you first have to establish what that thing is actually trying to say / prove.

Some people have a certain knee jerk reaction towards Starvault, such that anything from Starvault is assumed to be a lie regardless of any evidence for or against it.

Let's consider biggest outlier in claiming that this is "deceptive" ....

"over the last few days or so" = since the game released, overlapped x10. ......  Average player population of 1  .. 1 X 60 minutes an hour X 24 hours a day X 365 days = 525,600 dots for monitoring the game for 1 year with an average player population of 1. Overlapping that by 10 gives 5 million,  Therefor, the assertion being made requires either an accurate estimate of 5 million dots, or an average player population of less than 1.  I sincerely doubt that he counted out 5 million dots and the average player population is clearly higher than 1. Without some accurate estimate of the number of dots on the map saying it is decptive is meaningless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My take on the map (in case anyone hasn't noticed) is  "well, if anyone should ask me why, I say, 'I think it's pretty!' "

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

Xfire is imprecise but at least it is numbers. 10% participation is my attempt to low-ball the estimated amount of time played. Estimates from EVE (2,000 xfire users / 200,000 when I logged in on my 14 day trial) and Perpetuum (9 xfire users /500 players at peak time) indicate that it's closer to1 -2 % participation at most.

Well I stayed out of this argument because none of us really know the number of players in Mortal. Personally I assume it's around 200 online players at a time, maybe 350 at peak times.

But uh.

"On January 23, 2011, Eve Online claimed a new record for the maximum number of simultaneous pilots online with 63,170 concurrent accounts logged on to the same server."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_Online#Demographics

You're making up numbers. Big time. Unless I understood you completely wrong.

Originally posted by RedRocket

Well I stayed out of this argument because none of us really know the number of players in Mortal. Personally I assume it's around 200 online players at a time, maybe 350 at peak times.

But uh.

"On January 23, 2011, Eve Online claimed a new record for the maximum number of simultaneous pilots online with 63,170 concurrent accounts logged on to the same server."

ohhhhh Noooooooooooo he pulled a Star Vualt move. what else can he make up? Thanks for the info Red Rocket. find it funny how the people who defend SV like to make up crap just like SV does. They dont wanna believe the truth but make up stuff and mislead customers to their lies or are just plain dumb either way its not a good thing

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

But uh.

Uhh, at that point he was talking about total subscriptions and not concurrent players,  since he's trying to determine the number MO subscribers on xfire vs. total number of subscribed players. In that sense, I don't know what your point is about the 63k concurrent EVE players.  Not to speak for him, just figured I'd point that out...

According to that wiki link, there's closer to 360k total subscribers in EVE... that means xfire represents an even smaller percentage of the playerbase.  In which case, MO's xfire's numbers must be multiplied by a bigger number to determine how many total hours players spend in-game.

I would comment on how 200 to 350 is also 'making up numbers', and based on my experience seems like an extremely low estimate, but I'd hate to be accused of being call a liar like what happens to everyone else who admits to liking the game on this forum.

But uh. 

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

My 14 day trial ended a couple weeks ago, so my recollection was off the mark,  My first recollection was 200,000 but it was actually about 20,000.  Since 2,000 / 200,000 came out to the same proportion I got last time Xfire came up I got lazy and didn't double check myself.

While my EVE account is expired, I can still get to the log in screen and see the number of people logged in (30,756).

Xfire numbers for yesterday  1,928 players, 427,047 minutes played   (average 3.5 hours each)    3.5 / 24 =0.146 or 14.5%

On average 14.5% of those 1,928 players are online at any given time (281 concurrent xfire eve players on average)

Even allowing for a peak double that size, that is only 562 concurrent  xfire/eve players.

562 / 30,756 = 1.8% of EVE players participating in Xfire (i.e. right about the 1-2% that I was saying)

@funkmasta-- his point was that I was reporting a number of concurrent players (200,000) higher than the reported record (36,000)

@redrocket -- 200 players X 60 X 24 = 288,000 per day   "A few" means at least 3.  3 X 288,000 = 864,000   My main point in this thread is that a relatively small number of players can result in a very large number of datapoints for the map Even with your estimate of the population, we'd expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million datapoints.  To establish that the map is unrealistic (and therefor probably a lie) people need to count well over a million data points (or find a way to accurately estimate the number)  Until those critics can come up with that estimate, there is no reason to assume that  Starvault is lying about the map.

Until someone can come up with an accurate estimate of the number of datapoints on the map....Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say, 'I think it's pretty!"

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Uhh, at that point he was talking about total subscriptions and not concurrent players herp derp

Nobody in this topic was ever talking about the total number of created accounts. It is entirely irrelevant to the topic. Any other SV fanboy wanna make something up before the topic probably dies of old age?

But uh. 

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

My 14 day trial ended a couple weeks ago, so my recollection was off the mark,  My first recollection was 200,000 but it was actually about 20,000.  Since 2,000 / 200,000 came out to the same proportion I got last time Xfire came up I got lazy and didn't double check myself.

While my EVE account is expired, I can still get to the log in screen and see the number of people logged in (30,756).

Xfire numbers for yesterday  1,928 players, 427,047 minutes played   (average 3.5 hours each)    3.5 / 24 =0.146 or 14.5%

On average 14.5% of those 1,928 players are online at any given time (281 concurrent xfire eve players on average)

Even allowing for a peak double that size, that is only 562 concurrent  xfire/eve players.

562 / 30,756 = 1.8% of EVE players participating in Xfire (i.e. right about the 1-2% that I was saying)

@funkmasta-- his point was that I was reporting a number of concurrent players (200,000) higher than the reported record (36,000)

@redrocket -- 200 players X 60 X 24 = 288,000 per day   "A few" means at least 3.  3 X 288,000 = 864,000   My main point in this thread is that a relatively small number of players can result in a very large number of datapoints for the map Even with your estimate of the population, we'd expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million datapoints.  To establish that the map is unrealistic (and therefor probably a lie) people need to count well over a million data points (or find a way to accurately estimate the number)  Until those critics can come up with that estimate, there is no reason to assume that  Starvault is lying about the map.

Until someone can come up with an accurate estimate of the number of datapoints on the map....Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say, 'I think it's pretty!"

And here we go, now you're claiming the Eve record is about half of what it actually is.. it is exactly 63170, not "63000 or so", or "hundreds of thousands of people logged in in the same moment or so" like Henrik would say. And it isn't 36000. I am being correct about this because you're using your numbers to attempt to do maths.

Then you correct the number of Eve players that use xfire down from 2000 to 500 so it fits better in your pseudomaths again, sigh.

And as for your signature, you keep posting it over and over again, but I have yet to see someone who asks you why. Why what, anyway? Here's my new sig:

Mortal Online - A few means at least 3. Or so.

A company that doesn't have anything to hide about the size of their playerbase doesn't come up with or so's. How much are you getting from the GMs for your postings here? 10g per piece? 20? And don't give me "they'd never do that", lol.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Attempting to make anything out of XFIRE is a waste of time when it comes to Mortal Online.

I mean... you are discussing 3 games.  One of the games is stated to have 16 users and the other 9.

For an MMO?   I mean, get real... simply having once guild decide "Hey let's install XFIRE" would double your numbers.

Henrik could simply have sent an Email to his staff telling them to all make XFIRE accounts and leave them logged in when they work.   Throw in some of the longterm mods and you got your 16.

Drawing any conclusions from 16 users is just silly.    We have had similar discussions in the past.  You know what REAL numbers are?  Those are the ones in the financial reports.  Those are the ones that have stated they were losing money and needed 1000 more subscriptions even after laying off a huge chunck of their staff.

So the dots on the video are nice, shiny... and meaningless.  Just like XFIRE math.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

And here we go, now you're claiming the Eve record is about half of what it actually is.. it is exactly 63170, not "63000 or so", or "hundreds of thousands of people logged in in the same moment or so" like Henrik would say. And it isn't 36000. I am being correct about this because you're using your numbers to attempt to do maths.

Dyslexic moment.(? Dyscalculiac ?) Sorry

Then you correct the number of Eve players that use xfire down from 2000 to 500 so it fits better in your pseudomaths again, sigh.

Adjusting to estimate concurrent players