Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CRS's creeping control into their 'player-driven' game.

Comments

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by Zbus

WOW Nerf you bought the game off the shelf just like me and many others did at game start. Get over it that does not make you a special snowflake.

And yes zergs did fail.  Heck even attacks that got planned failed. Failure of attack did not make or break it for the squad guys the ability to work as a team and pick your time and place of attack along with doing all the things needed for the attack to be fun is what made the game for the squads. And thats why the squad  attacks always drew big numbers  even LWs knew the work had been done prior and there would be a good time had by all win or fail. 

But for some players like yourself it was not enough you whined you cried  cause you got camped. Even though the Rats did everything in the book to help you prevent that through game play changes. So we got the current system that forces everyone into a box and gives the D a 10 min. warning  prior to the attack and EWS what a joke. All cause a few cry babies couldnt be bothered to go look when ews poped up on a town. The squads didnt fail the game you lazy whiners did.

Wrong, squads and HC have had a 90% attack failure rate since day 1, you guys just plain old suck.

• StugStug Member UncommonPosts: 387

...if that means I want the game to fail then i guess i do. 

Right - why don't you post that every time you post something as you just satying the "game is negatifve-x" gives people the wrong impression.

Saying you want the game to die is much more honest, to be honest, otherwise you aren't helping those people who if prompted to check it out might find good in the game and enjoy it.

As regards Squads being killed of? I think theres more to it than HC or any anti-squad bias by CRS. HC is occupied by who? Squad Members thats who!

So how can a system run by Squad members be anti-squad? I'd say if anyhting the game is designed to be more inclusive and then less Skirmish-War online with people ninja capping everywhere. Its certainly not perfect with the overabundance of supply, but how bad would the game be if people cound't spawn kit when they logged on?

Care to take the lesser of two evils at the moment?

I think this game is 10 years old, I also think its not perfect, but I also think it has so far navigated the rapids where other games have been swept to their exticntion so I think if there is all bad in this game why is it still going?

WWIIOL is a sh*t hot game that people are afraid to admit, because it doesnt meet the x gazillion pretenses that people have place on it. It does a lot, and it does a lot of that quite well.....

• ZbusZbus Member Posts: 116

Oh stop it Stug thats such a strawman its not even funny. Anyone who payed a sub for 10 years  (and believe me Im not the only one) has the right to come on here and call BS when a Rat comes on this board and posts crap like we have never lied to the player base. And that was the point this is not the  PS fourms Vets who have been around  and know the real deal will call them on that junk.It has nothing to do with wanting the game to die and you dang well know that.

As for the squads your jokeing right. Saying this current system promotes squads is a complete farce get your head out of the sand and join reality.

WW2online has it in it to be a great game for simmers and i and most other players have said so in the past. The question is will it. Will the rats change coarse from its current path of becomeing a low poly FPS instant action gankfeast? Only if players force a change. And you cant do that by kissing the rats rear end all the time. 

Originally posted by Nerf09

WOW Nerf you bought the game off the shelf just like me and many others did at game start. Get over it that does not make you a special snowflake.

And yes zergs did fail.  Heck even attacks that got planned failed. Failure of attack did not make or break it for the squad guys the ability to work as a team and pick your time and place of attack along with doing all the things needed for the attack to be fun is what made the game for the squads. And thats why the squad  attacks always drew big numbers  even LWs knew the work had been done prior and there would be a good time had by all win or fail. 

But for some players like yourself it was not enough you whined you cried  cause you got camped. Even though the Rats did everything in the book to help you prevent that through game play changes. So we got the current system that forces everyone into a box and gives the D a 10 min. warning  prior to the attack and EWS what a joke. All cause a few cry babies couldnt be bothered to go look when ews poped up on a town. The squads didnt fail the game you lazy whiners did.

Wrong, squads and HC have had a 90% attack failure rate since day 1, you guys just plain old suck.

I heard typeing in red is cool.

• StugStug Member UncommonPosts: 387

No Zbus - I will not stop it.

At least I am not misleading people when I say, like any game there is good or bad - people should try it.

As opposed to you wanting to sabotage the game by posting negatively about it without repeating you want the game to die. Charming.

Regarding the Squads and HC - I would propose to you that we would not have a game today at all if it was not for the changes that CRS have made to this unqiue game. The game before HC, towards the midst of its existance certainly,  was heamoraging players.

The changes they made stemmed this flow. Is it perfect? No. Could there be changes to the game to increase the playercount? Yes. And last time I looked they were looking to deal with some of the changes they need to make.

But I will not go along and say HC was the worst thing that happened to this game. It was the thing that happened to this game that kept it alive.

If there was never a problem with the game as it was and the revenue stream it looked to be generating for the business, they would NEVER have changed it. Sorry, but the changes they made they HAD to make to keep the game alive.

In some peeoples minds of course that is betrayal, not reality.

a typical squad/HC tactic:  1 player tows 5 ATG's to the crest of a hill, 700 meters from enemy town.  1 EI LMG spends 3-5 minutes running up the hill in direct view of everyone, hopping in between bushes here and there. 10 minutes later all 5 ATG's and truck are dead to 1 EI.

*slow clap*  Good job Rommel, you are a master at war.

That's right, roll your eyes at me.

Originally posted by Stug

No Zbus - I will not stop it.

At least I am not misleading people when I say, like any game there is good or bad - people should try it.

As opposed to you wanting to sabotage the game by posting negatively about it without repeating you want the game to die. Charming.

Regarding the Squads and HC - I would propose to you that we would not have a game today at all if it was not for the changes that CRS have made to this unqiue game. The game before HC, towards the midst of its existance certainly,  was heamoraging players.

The changes they made stemmed this flow. Is it perfect? No. Could there be changes to the game to increase the playercount? Yes. And last time I looked they were looking to deal with some of the changes they need to make.

But I will not go along and say HC was the worst thing that happened to this game. It was the thing that happened to this game that kept it alive.

If there was never a problem with the game as it was and the revenue stream it looked to be generating for the business, they would NEVER have changed it. Sorry, but the changes they made they HAD to make to keep the game alive.

In some peeoples minds of course that is betrayal, not reality.

Answer the question Stug did they lie to the player base when posting a road map they never intended to follow. And 2nd how can you say what the subsciber base would have been or not been had they followed through with there plans as promised. In case you have not noticed the game is not doing that good right now nor has it been for many years since the changes.And no free play rifle accounts dont make up for 10 year sub guys jetting the game. 

To bad i dont have the pics anymore showing 200 plus players on TS and squad photos that filled the screen with tags from back then as compared to the weak sauce 3 man squads you got in game today. maybe they still got that squad  pic thread in the archive over at PS that one shows the point pretty clear but you keep argueing it if you like.

As for bashing the game and wanting it to fail NO look at the thread about  (Should i play this game) I comment on the game being fun if your a FPS junkie but not a simmer. I even say its the best heart pounding induceing game out there. So that sort of blows your story of (just bad mouthing the game) out of the water.

If players dont point out via the boards or e-mails whats wrong with the game how will they ever get changed. Plus why would a person looking into playing this game not want to see said complaints about the game. That is what they come to the boards for. Not some happy happy joy joy song and dance some players want to put out. That kind of info does the new player no good and is not the reality of what they will exp in game.

a typical squad/HC tactic:  1 player tows 5 ATG's to the crest of a hill, 700 meters from enemy town.  1 EI LMG spends 3-5 minutes running up the hill in direct view of everyone, hopping in between bushes here and there. 10 minutes later all 5 ATG's and truck are dead to 1 EI.

Wow Im sorry your exp was diffrent from mine but do us a favor what system do you want in game.If the current HC or previous Squad system is a no show for you what would you pefer. I hear your complaint but whats your answer.

Wow Im sorry your exp was diffrent from mine but do us a favor what system do you want in game.If the current HC or previous Squad system is a no show for you what would you pefer. I hear your complaint but whats your answer.

Gameplay that caters to lonewolves and ad/hoc small units.

Going to have to give a bit more than that. How will supply be handled for example or is supply used at all or is it town based?

Going to have to give a bit more than that. How will supply be handled for example or is supply used at all or is it town based?

I created a long lengthy post on this in CRS forums over a year ago, not going to do it again.

• TontomanTontoman Member Posts: 196

I can agree with that, but that's because that's NOW after the main death of squads (LMG reference dates the example).  I've seen similar things, why I've never rejoined after the free 'welcome back' weeks.  Things like a tanker driving past my reverse slope ATG to crest the hill to die instantly.  Repeat three or four times while announcing to squad that 'there's enemy tanks over the crest' and finally 'we're out of tanks!'.  Not the gameplay I want when I actually do find a decent battle that's not a zerg.   That's fine for lots of folks who want a WWII setting with the action of basic FPS, but not what I was looking for.

With the changes to attract the instant action crowd and losing the more patient old regulars, is it really suprising when someone who complains about a 5 second spawn delay won't guard ATGs for five minutes?  When the player base who would accept 2-5 min truck rides, you had a player base that had patience for more than the most basic tactic (as in surround the town with MSP and zerg).   If I was leading an op, not sure if I'd bother with trying for more either nowadays.   If the playerbase wants instant action, no guarding inf and straight lines from the MSP to the city to get combat soonest is going to be the flavor of the day. 

If you were always expecting some grand Rommel WWII tactics to cap towns etc.  you were never going to get that.  The game mechanics never (past or present) supported that (no FPS game ever has), that's not an issue or a lack of skill on command, that's a game limitation.  The best you could get were general combat tactics, and those with the old squads (and players) and old mechanics you could get. 

3CD we had ATG INF mix (scout and protection) being trucked for cuttoff duties.   Air on standby, all with mics of course (typing in combat really doesn't work) which also helps when you don't get action.  The old 'follow the tracers' for enemy spotting. We'd usually have someone in a sniper tree running the op, spotting and commanding (you can't fight and command).   Ridge ambushes, yep they are popular so always good to drop some sappers there before the tanks show up.    Usual reverse slop stuff (with people actually flowing orders and waiting for the enemy to come to you).  We'd send decoy trucks out for the tanks to shoot at to buy a few seconds to push ATGs those last few feet into position, fun times. 

If your example is all you've EVER seen, I'm sorry you never found better.  It was certainly out there, pity you never found it.  I consider myself lucky that 3CD was the first I hooked up with, and they happened to have a no camping pack with the Iron Wolves that made the game even better than the game mechanics of the time tended to do. 

Originally posted by Tontoman

I can agree with that, but that's because that's NOW after the main death of squads (LMG reference dates the example).  I've seen similar things, why I've never rejoined after the free 'welcome back' weeks.  Things like a tanker driving past my reverse slope ATG to crest the hill to die instantly.  Repeat three or four times while announcing to squad that 'there's enemy tanks over the crest' and finally 'we're out of tanks!'.  Not the gameplay I want when I actually do find a decent battle that's not a zerg.   That's fine for lots of folks who want a WWII setting with the action of basic FPS, but not what I was looking for.

With the changes to attract the instant action crowd and losing the more patient old regulars, is it really suprising when someone who complains about a 5 second spawn delay won't guard ATGs for five minutes?  When the player base who would accept 2-5 min truck rides, you had a player base that had patience for more than the most basic tactic (as in surround the town with MSP and zerg).   If I was leading an op, not sure if I'd bother with trying for more either nowadays.   If the playerbase wants instant action, no guarding inf and straight lines from the MSP to the city to get combat soonest is going to be the flavor of the day. 

If you were always expecting some grand Rommel WWII tactics to cap towns etc.  you were never going to get that.  The game mechanics never (past or present) supported that (no FPS game ever has), that's not an issue or a lack of skill on command, that's a game limitation.  The best you could get were general combat tactics, and those with the old squads (and players) and old mechanics you could get. 

3CD we had ATG INF mix (scout and protection) being trucked for cuttoff duties.   Air on standby, all with mics of course (typing in combat really doesn't work) which also helps when you don't get action.  The old 'follow the tracers' for enemy spotting. We'd usually have someone in a sniper tree running the op, spotting and commanding (you can't fight and command).   Ridge ambushes, yep they are popular so always good to drop some sappers there before the tanks show up.    Usual reverse slop stuff (with people actually flowing orders and waiting for the enemy to come to you).  We'd send decoy trucks out for the tanks to shoot at to buy a few seconds to push ATGs those last few feet into position, fun times. 

If your example is all you've EVER seen, I'm sorry you never found better.  It was certainly out there, pity you never found it.  I consider myself lucky that 3CD was the first I hooked up with, and they happened to have a no camping pack with the Iron Wolves that made the game even better than the game mechanics of the time tended to do. 

I was in Sturmgrenadiers, 3rd Panzer division before they switched to easy mode, and a 3rd one I can't remember the name but they were better then most I suppose.  The best squads/HC are good at are exploiting game mechanics, like camping spawn points, or simulcapping; anything else and they suck.  Mobile Spawns didn't improve or make worse, in fact people play exactly like they played since attrition came into the game like in 2002.

If we go with your  comments on how the game played  with squads and the HC system (which I do not because my exp tells me diffrent) but for the sake of arguments lets say your correct. How does a system that promotes LWing and pickup groups fosters any sort of tactics or being organized. In all honesty it sounds like a FFA crap shoot and not very fun for anyone.

Also point out how under your system any of what you mentioned  camping and simul caps would change.  Really to be honest nerf you sound like a guy who got pissed on by a squad and now your just angry. OJ/ Cylon and alot of the old SG would be so dissapointed in you lol.

• TontomanTontoman Member Posts: 196

I was in Sturmgrenadiers, 3rd Panzer division before they switched to easy mode, and a 3rd one I can't remember the name but they were better then most I suppose.  The best squads/HC are good at are exploiting game mechanics, like camping spawn points, or simulcapping; anything else and they suck.  Mobile Spawns didn't improve or make worse, in fact people play exactly like they played since attrition came into the game like in 2002.

IMO the best were the ones who tried to make the game more than it was, things like a no camp pact.  Going the easy road and doing full camping would certainly remove chances of getting a real WWII style combat going.  But if 'winning' was your primary goal then camping was the way.  Even if it didn't always work, you could pull more of those off per hour than non camping so your chances were better. 

You should have moved around more if you were looking for different combat.  Since that's all you've ever experience, you're obviously not that well informed to have an opinion on the effects of MSP on the game.  For pure campers, yeah MSP didn't change that much, for the rest it just basically killed everything other than camping and they left.  As all you ever did is just camp, no wonder you don't see a difference.  If maybe you didn't have your impatience (1 min truck rides too long for you) you'd have found the better gameplay before it left the game.  But since you seem to want your 5 seconds wait max to action, but also still big tactics, no wonder you can't find both.   You remind me of the guys we would get who once setup in a good spot, start complaining after 30 seconds there's no action.  Now that's all squads have, does anyone have to wonder why their tactics are what they now are lol

• angriffangriff Member Posts: 154

OH my God .. THE DRAMA OF WWII ONLINE

Originally posted by angriff

It's (Battle Ground Europe) now Angriff get with the program. We cant have our resident rain cloud off on his facts. J/King by the way on the rain cloud thing. 

If we go with your  comments on how the game played  with squads and the HC system (which I do not because my exp tells me diffrent) but for the sake of arguments lets say your correct. How does a system that promotes LWing and pickup groups fosters any sort of tactics or being organized. In all honesty it sounds like a FFA crap shoot and not very fun for anyone.

Also point out how under your system any of what you mentioned  camping and simul caps would change.  Really to be honest nerf you sound like a guy who got pissed on by a squad and now your just angry. OJ/ Cylon and alot of the old SG would be so dissapointed in you lol.

How to cater to lonewolves. 

-Let 1 player spawn tower+Gun

-A total reworking of how the frontline advances, no capture the flag, a way that enfranchises everyone according to their rank, no HC.  I created a detailed thread in playschool about it, I'm not going to recreate it, it's too involved.

-Remove HC, or at least lightly regulate the higher ranked players.

camping and simulcapping would be irrelevant under "my system".

Originally posted by Tontoman

IMO the best were the ones who tried to make the game more than it was, things like a no camp pact.  Going the easy road and doing full camping would certainly remove chances of getting a real WWII style combat going.  But if 'winning' was your primary goal then camping was the way.  Even if it didn't always work, you could pull more of those off per hour than non camping so your chances were better. 

You should have moved around more if you were looking for different combat.  Since that's all you've ever experience, you're obviously not that well informed to have an opinion on the effects of MSP on the game.  For pure campers, yeah MSP didn't change that much, for the rest it just basically killed everything other than camping and they left.  As all you ever did is just camp, no wonder you don't see a difference.  If maybe you didn't have your impatience (1 min truck rides too long for you) you'd have found the better gameplay before it left the game.  But since you seem to want your 5 seconds wait max to action, but also still big tactics, no wonder you can't find both.   You remind me of the guys we would get who once setup in a good spot, start complaining after 30 seconds there's no action.  Now that's all squads have, does anyone have to wonder why their tactics are what they now are lol

Life before mobile spawns:

-Wait 5 minutes at FB for truck, someone pulls up, everyone hops in.

-2 minutes later truck suicidally drives into town, you die.  (7 minutes have passed)

-2 minutes later truck suicidally drives into town, you die.  (14 minutes have passed)

-2 minutes later truck suicidally drives into town, you die.  (21 minutes have passed)

-2 minutes later truck suicidally drives into town, you die.  (28 minutes have passed)

-2 minutes later truck suicidally drives into town, you die.  (35 minutes have passed)

I read it I beleive Nerf think it was like 5 or 6 posts long maybe more if I remeber correctly. And the main complaint was not that the ideas where bad but that it would require a entire rewrite of the game. I no longer have fourm priv. there so i cant go back and dig it out of the archive to reread it. I also put fourth a idea dealing with AOE fronts like yours mine was ignored but got positive response from the player base at the time. Bottom line is they are not going to change a thing other than what will push the game further towards a FPS theme RA's are just the start.

I read it I beleive Nerf think it was like 5 or 6 posts long maybe more if I remeber correctly. And the main complaint was not that the ideas where bad but that it would require a entire rewrite of the game. I no longer have fourm priv. there so i cant go back and dig it out of the archive to reread it. I also put fourth a idea dealing with AOE fronts like yours mine was ignored but got positive response from the player base at the time. Bottom line is they are not going to change a thing other than what will push the game further towards a FPS theme RA's are just the start.

In Real War the frontline is determined by your combat forces in proximity to enemy combat forces, your ability to defend your logistical chain of supply from enemy attacks, and the enemies ability to defend their logistical chain of supply from your attacks.  Not Capture The Flag.  Not Capture The Flag Deluxe.  Not Area Capture (Capture The Flag Deluxe in an area).

Planetside and WWIIONLINE have both come to the same conclusion with Capture The Flag:  after no-linky no-cappy, anti-camping rules, and some flag timers you can't improve on it anymore.  Get rid of it. 

The whole Capture The Flag needs to be completely scrapped, and not improved with "Area capture the flag".  What needs to be simulated is "the frontline is determined by your combat forces in proximity to enemy combat forces, your ability to defend your logistical chain of supply from enemy attacks, and the enemies ability to defend their logistical chain of supply from your attacks."

Capture The Flag is a 1990's Quake Team Fortress game mechanic for crying out loud, one step up from FFA deathmatch.

In Real War the frontline is determined by your combat forces in proximity to enemy combat forces, your ability to defend your logistical chain of supply from enemy attacks, and the enemies ability to defend their logistical chain of supply from your attacks.  Not Capture The Flag.  Not Capture The Flag Deluxe.  Not Area Capture (Capture The Flag Deluxe in an area).

Planetside and WWIIONLINE have both come to the same conclusion with Capture The Flag:  after no-linky no-cappy, anti-camping rules, and some flag timers you can't improve on it anymore.  Get rid of it. 

The whole Capture The Flag needs to be completely scrapped, and not improved with "Area capture the flag".  What needs to be simulated is "the frontline is determined by your combat forces in proximity to enemy combat forces, your ability to defend your logistical chain of supply from enemy attacks, and the enemies ability to defend their logistical chain of supply from your attacks."

Capture The Flag is a 1990's Quake Team Fortress game mechanic for crying out loud, one step up from FFA deathmatch.

The AOE idea was brought forth in a thread that requested changes that did not require a complete rewrite of the game. Hence it was based off current play but allowed for higher level HC functions for those who wanted HC to remain as the overall control factor AKA-stratigic level plans supply/overall goal etc... And those who wanted autonomy for squads freedom to make use things on a tactical level. AKA- ability to choose targets/times of attack fog of war etc... it was never meant as a complete answer but rather a compromise.

Like I said your plan had some merit but without a complete rewrite of the game  which was not going to happen its pointless. They are not going to rewrite the whole game and scrap years of development time and thats the reality of it. We could all agree capture the flag was not a great concept.

By the way your plan would not have killed squads in fact  it would have increased them. Grand level concepts such as logistics defense and use in attacks takes manpower on a map  the scale of  ww2online. LWs would be almost wiped out. And no better grouping tools would not solve that issue.  Camping maybe though it would have helped. 

Originally posted by ZbusThey are not going to rewrite the whole game and scrap years of development time 

Why not.

By the way your plan would not have killed squads in fact  it would have increased them. Grand level concepts such as logistics defense and use in attacks takes manpower on a map  the scale of  ww2online. LWs would be almost wiped out. And no better grouping tools would not solve that issue.  Camping maybe though it would have helped. 

Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else.

Originally posted by ZbusThey are not going to rewrite the whole game and scrap years of development time 

Why not.

Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else.

1.-Ask a Rat not me. But take note that they have posted on ideas in the PS fourms in the past and pretty much said that they where willing to listen new ideas on game play but not rewrite the game's mechanics from scratch. In fact that was the whole point of the post in which I listed my AOE idea but had you read that post you would already know that.

2.- You hate HC and Squads and pefer LWing and PUG's  from your previous posts. So Its a pretty safe bet to assume you wouldnt want anything that would increase the use of those options in game which your plan pretty much calls for. Not by design so much as necessity.

• angriffangriff Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by angriff

It's (Battle Ground Europe) now Angriff get with the program. We cant have our resident rain cloud off on his facts. J/King by the way on the rain cloud thing. 

I do believe WWII Online is still registered trademark for CRS and Playnet inc.  Look at the top and bottom of their website next time you are there.  You will see the registration mark  laying claim to the words at the bottom.   Battleground Europe is the European requirement  because of games that were registered there already laying claim to the WWII or World War II thingie.

Where is Burma?  It would be nice to see another theatre like Africa, Russia, SE Asia.  They promised all that back in 2001.