Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terrible game, imo.

RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

Earthrise, put simply.  Is a terrible game.  Originally when Earthrise was announced I was super excited, finally a sci-fi MMO.  One that had you acting out the role of a marine/soldier, or something along those lines in a hostile world filled with aliens, creatures, and who knows what else.  After video was shown I honestly lost all interest.  The game play looked terrible so it comes as no surprise that with the free trial out now the game is in fact, terribad.  At least in my opinion.

The game was a laggy mess, and despite having a high-end system it took some time to load up textures.  It doesn't seem like it's an optimized experience yet.  The combat was lacking, boring, and had nothing innovative going for it.  What a shame.  Quests were boring.  Same old, same old.  Go kill these ten things, go find that, go talk to him.  The world isn't interesting either.  At all.  It seems bland, boring, and doesn't have much going on it.  Other than random static NPCs, and creatures that are either neutral or hostile walking around aimlessly.

I like to complain about games.

Comments

• K0TAPAKK0TAPAK Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Ridrith The combat was lacking, boring, and had nothing innovative going for it.  What a shame.  Quests were boring.  Same old, same old.  Go kill these ten things, go find that, go talk to him.  The world isn't interesting either.  At all.  It seems bland, boring, and doesn't have much going on it.  Other than random static NPCs, and creatures that are either neutral or hostile walking around aimlessly.

You just described like 90% of MMOs currently at the market.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by K0TAPAK

Originally posted by Ridrith The combat was lacking, boring, and had nothing innovative going for it.  What a shame.  Quests were boring.  Same old, same old.  Go kill these ten things, go find that, go talk to him.  The world isn't interesting either.  At all.  It seems bland, boring, and doesn't have much going on it.  Other than random static NPCs, and creatures that are either neutral or hostile walking around aimlessly.
    You just described like 90% of MMOs currently at the market.

No, Earthrise is almost in a category by itself. It's up there with Mortal Online in the 'Failed Implementation' category. I don't think the game itself is going to fold, since they've made it nearly 6 months after release, but I don't see if being any sort of blockbuster hit either. Especially if Prime Online releases in anything close to a playable state.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ApegApeg Member Posts: 91

If you are looking for exciting story and cool quests in a polished game, Earthrise is not the game for you.

If you are looking for PvP, skill based system, crafting and player run economy, Earthrise is the game for you.

Yes, it has some bugs still, but nothing gamebreaking. And I prefer to play old MMOs much more than newly released ones:

Examples - Age of Conan - terrible first year - the best MMO at the moment 3 years later

Ultima Online - the king of MMOs

EVE - rough start, the best sandbox at the moment

All new MMOs- complete fail

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Apeg

If you are looking for exciting story and cool quests in a polished game, Earthrise is not the game for you.

If you are looking for PvP, skill based system, crafting and player run economy, Earthrise is the game for you.

Yes, it has some bugs still, but nothing gamebreaking. And I prefer to play old MMOs much more than newly released ones:

Examples - Age of Conan - terrible first year - the best MMO at the moment 3 years later

AGe Of Conan = Best MMO? No its not even close

Ultima Online - the king of MMOs? There is some game people keep saying has like 15 Million players but I cant remember the name of it.

EvE - rough start , the best sandbox at the moment? I agree with this to an extent but only because there is really nonthing else out there. People want a Real Sandbox game in a world where you can build a house, exlpore dungeons, climb mountains and sail across oceans. To me Eve is nonthing more than an Online Real Time Stratagy Game. ArcheAge will be the definiton of Sandbox MMO if its any good when it comes out.

All new MMOs- complete fail? Rift seems to be doing just fine but I think that will change when Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars comes out.

• SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63

World of Warcraft may have 15 million subscribers (that's active subscriptions, but think how many are RMT and botting accounts) but it doesn't make it the "King of MMO's". Trust me, I've played it since BWL came out and it's by far not the king of MMO's out there. 

Rift is doing "Just fine" because they have nothing orignial that they didn't steal from someone. The only thing they have are rifts and those were fun to begin with and are now stupid to do. People are playing Rift because it's different. It will fade with time, don't you worry about that.

GW2 looks very promising and so does SW. I wasn't all about SW in the beginning but it's hoping more hope for me. 

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

As a pvp fanatic i will state clearly, avoid Earthrise AT THE MOMENT if you enjoy fair, balanced, enjoyable, exciting and non-frustrating pvp thats not riddled with bugs and exploits.

It's a terrible mess at the moment.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

The recent event of cutting client and subscription cost by 60% is the last step to prevent shutting down the game completely.

Nope, there won't be a happy ending. Masthead simply screwed it up by not listening early on what beta-testers and pre-release forums told them.

• AdunAdun Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by Yalexy

The recent event of cutting client and subscription cost by 60% is the last step to prevent shutting down the game completely.

Nope, there won't be a happy ending. Masthead simply screwed it up by not listening early on what beta-testers and pre-release forums told them.

You heard it here first, folks! Not only is Yalexy an expert on Earthrise in general despite not having logged in for more than 5 minutes since beta, but he ALSO is privy to Masthead's personal financial records. We're so lucky to have you here, Yalexy, so that we may continue to stay "in the know". Thanks for being you, bud :)

Originally posted by Mannish

AGe Of Conan = Best MMO? No its not even close

Ultima Online - the king of MMOs? There is some game people keep saying has like 15 Million players but I cant remember the name of it.

EvE - rough start , the best sandbox at the moment? I agree with this to an extent but only because there is really nonthing else out there. People want a Real Sandbox game in a world where you can build a house, exlpore dungeons, climb mountains and sail across oceans. To me Eve is nonthing more than an Online Real Time Stratagy Game. ArcheAge will be the definiton of Sandbox MMO if its any good when it comes out.

All new MMOs- complete fail? Rift seems to be doing just fine but I think that will change when Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars comes out.

Age of Conan - it is called personal opinion

That game with 15 million users is the biggest crap out there, played until level 15 anyway and will never go back, Blizzard games are terrible anyway.

EVE- you are correct, unfortunately players and MMO community don’t support sandbox games and I don’t see a good sandbox come out on the market soon because people with money want to make WoW over and over, that's what is hot now, look at SWTOR. I prefer to support the indy companies who are trying to do something different and I will support Earthrise until it is out there

All new MMOs- complete fail? Rift seems to be doing just fine but I think that will change when Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars comes out. – I played Rift until level 31. Couldn’t stand it any more – boring to the extreme. GW2 and SW, we’ll see...

Originally posted by Adun

You heard it here first, folks! Not only is Yalexy an expert on Earthrise in general despite not having logged in for more than 5 minutes since beta, but he ALSO is privy to Masthead's personal financial records. We're so lucky to have you here, Yalexy, so that we may continue to stay "in the know". Thanks for being you, bud :)

Repeating your false statement about my time in Earthrise doesn't make it true. I've spent some good 300 hours playing (*cough* testing) after they went live with the game.

Like it or not, but Masthead unfortunately didn't listen before they went live and they still don't do it. They've not got the manpower to change anything radically and reinvent some mechanics and this is why they're now trying to milk the cow as much as possible before the shutdown.

Ask Kole, Cav, Felix etc. or anyone of those people who have followed and actively participated well before the servers went live and after. They'll tell you exactly the same, but they don't even like to talk about this whgole mess anymore.

Repeating your false statement about my time in Earthrise doesn't make it true. I've spent some good 300 hours playing (*cough* testing) after they went live with the game.

Like it or not, but Masthead unfortunately didn't listen before they went live and they still don't do it. They've not got the manpower to change anything radically and reinvent some mechanics and this is why they're now trying to milk the cow as much as possible before the shutdown.

Ask Kole, Cav, Felix etc. or anyone of those people who have followed and actively participated well before the servers went live and after. They'll tell you exactly the same, but they don't even like to talk about this whgole mess anymore.

The game went live 6 months ago, so your story is quite old, even ancient for MMO standards. People like you were predicting shutdown in March, then April, then May, but summer is here and there is no shutdown yet. Lets see if your expertise will predict the time of shutdown, when many other experts failed, lol.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's avoid baiting others guys. Thanks.

The game went live 6 months ago, so your story is quite old, even ancient for MMO standards. People like you were predicting shutdown in March, then April, then May, but summer is here and there is no shutdown yet. Lets see if your expertise will predict the time of shutdown, when many other experts failed, lol.

I've got another three month subscription that I paid for back then, so let's see if my subscription runs out before the time Earthrise got left.

I've got another three month subscription that I paid for back then, so let's see if my subscription runs out before the time Earthrise got left.

Ok, that is something different. But how did you get 3 months back then and still can play for another 3 months when they started charging in April, which means that your subscription is running out this month?

Ok, that is something different. But how did you get 3 months back then and still can play for another 3 months when they started charging in April, which means that your subscription is running out this month?

I bought the game the very first day including 6 month subscription. Back then there was hope here...

I bought the game including 6 month subscription. Back then there was hope here...

Their site was offering only 1 month and 3 month subscription. Where did you buy the 6 month subscription from? Something is not right in your words.

No CC, but transaction, no refund or recurring bill. So I paid 2 x 3 month.

I thought that €100 (box + 6 month) initially would be good ^^

Originally posted by Adun

Same old generic prattle. While I'm not going to argue with you about your supposed playtime as neither of us can prove or disprove it, I highly, utterly doubt you've spent "300+ hours" since launch in game. In fact, what is your ig name? I'd like to know see if I've seen you a single time. And as Apeg said, every thing that comes out of your mouth as the months go by is ever little more than doomsaying, mixed with a rather distinct cluelessness about how things actually are. For example, have you said even a single constructive or insightful thing pertaining to what your grievances actually are with this game? A sentence from you generally comes down to like "damn guys, it's just a big FFA arena, and it sucks, and oh, it's unfinished, and they didn't listen, so gg, and oh, prognosis = bad". Captivating stuff.

The reality of the game, however, coming from the people who actually play it, is that it's finally attained a stable, engaging foundation that will allow it to grow into a very healthy niche title. It is now in a decent release state and can only go up. It's obvious that the game should've stayed in testing more than it did, but this has been established and we're passed this by now because it is irrelevant moving forward; and yet it seems to be the only thing you can focus on and have to say. The future of the game looks great and with each patch and further promotion, as MHS is doing now, we will only see it grow.

Yalexy, if you ask me, the game had to release in 2012 and I am sure devs were not that stupid to release it incomplete 6 months ago. But they are indy studio and I am 99% certain that money ran out and they were pressed by investors to release just like many other MMOs nowadays.

Instead of bashing the game and begging the devs to shut it down I am choosing the other side- the side of support  and understanding because I don’t want to see another MMO with great potential go down the drain (I still miss Tabula Rasa). Anyway, Earthrise needs support and understanding. I really want this game to succeed, I don’t want to wait and hope for a new sci fi title with great concept to come out in the future. Earthrise is out there now at the very moment, and it has the foundation and the potential. Devs show understanding and commitment and I am sure the game is just starting to grow and is going nowhere up from now on.

The game has some very critical design-flaws if you ask me.

The approach with no safer areas for example is not a very good one. It's just like that in Darkfall and Mortal Online and EvE shows how it would be better.

Next is the meterial-aqquisition from mobs. This is buggin me even more, as it makes the hole crafting very tedious and slow. Grinding mobs for days to produce items that you'll loose fast isn't exactly appealing.
    Furthermore this type of ressource-gathering isn't something that requires planning and teamplay.

The targetting-system isn't that good either imho. I'd go without the soft-lock and fully FPS or tab-targeting. This current system with it's f'd up hitboxes isn't that good imho.

Then the thing with now introduced territorial warfare with it's siege-timers and teleporters. It's boring as hell.
    Attacks should be possible at any given time and there shouldn't be teleporters, especially not for the attackers. Respawning basically (well, getting there in no time) in the middle of the fight is making this whole thing into a mindless zerg-fest imho.

There's more little things, but these are very cruicial design-decisions that need to be revamped imho besides the technical issues to make this game worthwile playing.

Atleast they fixed some skills and stuff so that the combat isn't that fast anymore. Those harbinger-stun combos were really bad in PvP, but I actually stopped caring about it I guess.

With Firefall there'll be a fun SciFi MMOFPS coming out, allthough it won't have the depth, but it atleast is fun to play in it's current state allready (had the chance at PAX for a few minutes) and allthough not SciFi there's more hope that ArcheAge will get it right then hope left for Earthrise at my side.

Am I bitter about Earthrise? Sure I am. But I spend some three years pre-release talking with people from Masthead in dev-chats, testing a few month beta giving feedback etc and then they release this POS.
    Oh, and then ofc I gave them some good money in hopes that they'll work hard to get the points mentioned right or atleast improve them to some good degree.

I think I leave this as is.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It doesn't just have some design flaws. It has some basic coding issues.

I'm not sure if anti-aliasing is actually supported, but it doesn't work with my ATI HD5770 card. The entire world just turns yellow. There are settings for shadows, but they don't exist. At least, not where you can actually see them.

Upon getting to the 'combat training' level my character got stuck running forward. No combination of keys would stop my avatar from running forward as far as it could. I could not exit the world or the game because my character kept running. I had to Alt-F4 the game to get out.

The game has some very basic issues. It doesn't matter how 'cool' it is or how much 'potential' it has if it can't do any of the basic things (like not get your character stuck running).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

The game has some very critical design-flaws if you ask me.

The approach with no safer areas for example is not a very good one. It's just like that in Darkfall and Mortal Online and EvE shows how it would be better.

I generally would agree with this, however it's a pretty moot point for the present. Especially considering how there are hundreds of places to XP effeciently and how rapidly a new player can equip themselves as a vet.

Next is the meterial-aqquisition from mobs. This is buggin me even more, as it makes the hole crafting very tedious and slow. Grinding mobs for days to produce items that you'll loose fast isn't exactly appealing.

Furthermore this type of ressource-gathering isn't something that requires planning and teamplay.

Don't agree here. ER is very heavily PVP focused, and the PVE in the game doubles as endless PVP hotspots. If you have maxed recycling skills and are a decent BR, the farming is barely even a chore since you can get a massive amount of resources without too much effort for crafting, as well as possibly run into PVP. In addition, getting resources from PVE is only one way. Now with TW out the mines will produce what you need, as well as the fact you can just play the market for what you're looking for at any given time.

The targetting-system isn't that good either imho. I'd go without the soft-lock and fully FPS or tab-targeting. This current system with it's f'd up hitboxes isn't that good imho.

Pretty vague stuff right here. What do you mean? The whole game is based on TPS combat where you aim all your attacks or fire off angles, with the exception of the RL which is mostly splash attack so you still have to position yourself and your target very carefully.

Then the thing with now introduced territorial warfare with it's siege-timers and teleporters. It's boring as hell.

Attacks should be possible at any given time and there shouldn't be teleporters, especially not for the attackers. Respawning basically (well, getting there in no time) in the middle of the fight is making this whole thing into a mindless zerg-fest imho.

It's yet to be seen exactly how TW will play out because of the bugged timers. So not going to comment here, and neither do I think should you out of lack of actual experience with it.

There's more little things, but these are very cruicial design-decisions that need to be revamped imho besides the technical issues to make this game worthwile playing.

Atleast they fixed some skills and stuff so that the combat isn't that fast anymore. Those harbinger-stun combos were really bad in PvP, but I actually stopped caring about it I guess.

With Firefall there'll be a fun SciFi MMOFPS coming out, allthough it won't have the depth, but it atleast is fun to play in it's current state allready (had the chance at PAX for a few minutes) and allthough not SciFi there's more hope that ArcheAge will get it right then hope left for Earthrise at my side.

Am I bitter about Earthrise? Sure I am. But I spend some three years pre-release talking with people from Masthead in dev-chats, testing a few month beta giving feedback etc and then they release this POS.

Oh, and then ofc I gave them some good money in hopes that they'll work hard to get the points mentioned right or atleast improve them to some good degree.

I think I leave this as is.

I respect your opinion (now that you've actually even bothered to give one) but I still get the feeling you haven't really played the game much since beta. That you kind of just gave up on it and followed it casually, and when you saw it wasn't going as you would have liked even further, you grew that much more detached. Your points hardly stand out as some kind of sorely needed-to-be-revamped mechanics, but rather merely your own personal pet peeves.

For me personally, they have done so much work on this game since launch and really moved it in a much better, stable direction that I have no bitterness at all about it launching prematurely, that time has come and gone. Things are looking great now and while we still have a very long way to go I'm very optimistic about the future of the game. It doesn't look like things went your way with this title though, so I'm going to respect your opinion, even though I don't agree with most of what you pointed out. Cheers.

Responses highlithed.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I had 2 accounts one for my son and one for me. I got my money back on both was shocking game.

Asbo

• camelguycamelguy Member UncommonPosts: 9

Game has too many fundamental flaws this long after release.  They keep focusing on the wrong things and the development team is too small.

I had some fun back when the game released.  I was able to overlook quite a few bugs and terrible performance when there was a population.  Now the game is extremely low pop and many of these same bugs and bad performance are still around.

I've always liked sandbox games and really did give this one a chance.  Darkfall is a much better experience at the moment and that is saying a lot.

All negative comments, including most of what Yalexy and lizard are saying remind me of my first month in UO about 12 years ago. It was a disaster, I couldn’t grasp the game although a friend of mine was having a blast, so I quit and lost 1 year before coming back and realizing that this was the best game for its time and so I spend the next 2-3 years with it. Those were the best 3 years of my gaming life. I will not repeat the same mistake that I made with UO and I will stick with Earthrise regardless of some technical issues and lack of polish. I prefer to play that rather than the polished MMO which will win this year’s award Rift or the upcoming disaster SWTOR (Don't get me wrong, I will buy it although I know it will not meet my expectations).

To everyone complaining, Earthrise is not the game for you guys, move on and let people who enjoy it play and let people who want to try the game try the game.

Earthrise is not a game for everyone, it is not for people looking for a polished title or people who cannot troubleshoot simple problems with their Windows applications or people who have a 1Mbit connection and complain that there is lag and most importantly people who spend few hours or few days in game and think that they have seen it all and they have grasped the game mechanics. Yes, Earthrise has a bad starting experience and I blame the devs for that, but if you run past it, the game becomes a real jewel, just like UO was for me years ago.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file