Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Controls...

mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Is there anyway I can set the game so that I don't have to confirm so much for every-little-thing? Seriously, having to confirm to cast a spell doesn't make much sense.

--------
"Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
Front: UNO Chemistry Club
Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

Comments

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

There isn't, unfortunately. Makes you wonder why so many confirmations were added into the game in the first place.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• VulskoVulsko Member Posts: 80

If you are talking about opening windows -

Go into Configurations > Keyboard

You'll be able to set new controls from there, I've set mine up like so;

V - Lock Target

Tab - Target Enemy

G - Linkshell Menu

H - Main Menu (Lists all the other menus)

J - Journal (Quests)

K - Actions & Skill Bar Setups

C - Character Gear

L - Character Attributes

These are just some basic ones. If you want a full guide on quick switching classes, check out FFXIVorigin. They have some nice starter guides for quick setups and easy fixes to running through the menus quicker.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Ugh... It's like they were being "different" just for the sake of being different... The only thing I noticed that's improved since launch is that the floating numbers are synced up a bit better with the animations (though I'm still getting dying monsters in the middle of animations)

--------

Originally posted by Vulsko

If you are talking about opening windows -

Go into Configurations > Keyboard

You'll be able to set new controls from there, I've set mine up like so;

V - Lock Target

Tab - Target Enemy

G - Linkshell Menu

H - Main Menu (Lists all the other menus)

J - Journal (Quests)

K - Actions & Skill Bar Setups

C - Character Gear

L - Character Attributes

These are just some basic ones. If you want a full guide on quick switching classes, check out FFXIVorigin. They have some nice starter guides for quick setups and easy fixes to running through the menus quicker.

No, no... I don't want to have to hit enter or another key after I have already pressed 2, 3, etc to cast a spell.

--------

Originally posted by mrcalhou

Ugh... It's like they were being "different" just for the sake of being different... The only thing I noticed that's improved since launch is that the floating numbers are synced up a bit better with the animations (though I'm still getting dying monsters in the middle of animations)

There's actually been a LOT of improvements since the launch. The menus respond way quicker, leves initate quicker, there are more quests and content to explore, a nice new dungeon, extra leves from 20-40 range. Behest have been changed to ever ~30 instead of every hour. (Even though they did lower the amount of people. >:O) Anyways, there's a lot of great improvements they've done. If you played through the game the entire time, you'd take more notice I suppose.

There's actually been a LOT of improvements since the launch. The menus respond way quicker, leves initate quicker, there are more quests and content to explore, a nice new dungeon, extra leves from 20-40 range. Behest have been changed to ever ~30 instead of every hour. (Even though they did lower the amount of people. >:O) Anyways, there's a lot of great improvements they've done. If you played through the game the entire time, you'd take more notice I suppose.

But I find the combat to be awkward and tedious. The way the game seems to handle things is that the server knows that I've taken damage and updates the instant an enemy uses the attack, before the animations starts or finishes. The same thing for when I attack an enemy. That HAS gotten better since launch, but I still notice it. Then, in order to actually cast spells I have to press my spell button and THEN hit enter to confirm that I really would like to do that. Really, if I didn't want to kill the enemy, chances are I wouldn't have bothered attacking it in the first place.

--------

But I find the combat to be awkward and tedious. The way the game seems to handle things is that the server knows that I've taken damage and updates the instant an enemy uses the attack, before the animations starts or finishes. The same thing for when I attack an enemy. That HAS gotten better since launch, but I still notice it. Then, in order to actually cast spells I have to press my spell button and THEN hit enter to confirm that I really would like to do that. Really, if I didn't want to kill the enemy, chances are I wouldn't have bothered attacking it in the first place.

Weird, I can honestly say I don't have these issues. When a monster "hits" me, I recieve damage, on animation touch. As for the whole mage ordeal, I've never touched magic abilities in this game, so I can't really help you there. :(

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Is there anyway I can set the game so that I don't have to confirm so much for every-little-thing? Seriously, having to confirm to cast a spell doesn't make much sense.

You aren't confirming to cast a spell you are selecting a target for that spell.

Yes you can though, make a macro just go to Configuration>Macros.

/ac "Blizzard"  <t>

This will instantly use the spell on whatever you currently have targeted.  You can of course use other target commands like <me> and <st> if you are using a heal spell or something that you don't necessarily want to affect your main target (not that you can heal mobs).

Originally posted by Murugan

You aren't confirming to cast a spell you are selecting a target for that spell.

My target was already selected though. Tab to select target, 2 to cast spell, enter to confirm.

--------

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

The last confirmation is needed so that you can select a different target if necessary. Vital to healers, still very useful to other casters.

<3

In any other MMO that I've played, if I try to cast a spell on a target then that's the target I meant to use it on unless I miss click. In this game, having to press an additional button compared to other games seems pointless and tedious. If I want to target another mob I would have just pressed tab. I want to target another player then I would target that player.

--------

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

when i bought this game i had the thought i was out of my depth,turned out i was right...cannot make head nore tail of this game at all.i love the way it looks,but the combat still sucks even after patch,i keep going back hoping its changed a bit.for instance when i targeted a mob and went to attack i lost the target,so i tabbed again,got the target back,hit the key to use ability..lost target again,i am either doing something completely wrong or i just suck lol..or there maybe a problem with patch..not quite sure...also..still lacking loads of content..no AH nothing,they dont listen to the community thats for sure.maybe the game was lacking so much that its taking longer to sort out..but i will persevere..no matter how bad i suck at the game..maybe its a bit like british rail...guaranteed to be late but will get there eventually.

Also no way of changing key settings to your own personal play style is also another problem i,m having.any advice would be most welcome.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by kevjards

when i bought this game i had the thought i was out of my depth,turned out i was right...cannot make head nore tail of this game at all.i love the way it looks,but the combat still sucks even after patch,i keep going back hoping its changed a bit.for instance when i targeted a mob and went to attack i lost the target,so i tabbed again,got the target back,hit the key to use ability..lost target again,i am either doing something completely wrong or i just suck lol..or there maybe a problem with patch..not quite sure...also..still lacking loads of content..no AH nothing,they dont listen to the community thats for sure.maybe the game was lacking so much that its taking longer to sort out..but i will persevere..no matter how bad i suck at the game..maybe its a bit like british rail...guaranteed to be late but will get there eventually.

Also no way of changing key settings to your own personal play style is also another problem i,m having.any advice would be most welcome.

Market Wards=AH, most popular market ward currently is the central city Ul'dah.

I don't know what you mean by losing the target.  Unless you are missing the action bar and accidentally clicking elsewhere on the screen maybe.  One thing you can do though is lock your target (default C or numpad *).  If you go to configuration>Target Settings you can enable auto target lock which will lock you to the target as soon as you use a skill (again you can unlock/lock by pressing C or numpad*).

You can change keybindings under Configuration>Keyboard

You can change the way targetting cycles through targets by switching between one of the three targeting types, you can set a keybind to target the last enemy to attack you, or to target nearest NPC in front of you (default F8).

Oh and one look at the forums/producer's letters/all information put out by the new producer will tell you that they definitely do listen to the community.

In any other MMO that I've played, if I try to cast a spell on a target then that's the target I meant to use it on unless I miss click. In this game, having to press an additional button compared to other games seems pointless and tedious. If I want to target another mob I would have just pressed tab. I want to target another player then I would target that player.

If you have such a problem with the added ability to choose a subtarget for each spell (sure comes in handy for emergency sleep) then just use the macro I posted:

/ac "Blizzard" <t>

Then it will work more like "any other MMO" you've played.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I get the strong feeling that the vast majority of MMO gamers have never touched a console. It seems like if the controls are even slightly different than what they're used to, they're lost.

<3