Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are We Being Honest About EVE?

Comments

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by blazin-ace

Originally posted by Jimmac

EVE online is a game where bad design decisions have become accepted features over time to keep the game alive. Multiboxing helps pad the account total obscenely and is required for many play options, they are looking to incorporate mining bots, PLEX, RMT in 0.0, character sales, a tiny little player map with most people hiding in Hi Sec because they can’t compete with the power blocks, NEX that WILL include game affecting items in time per the dev teams own recent words…

I thought you meant CCP was looking to implement legal mining bots in 0.0 and legal RMT. The sentence was vague at best.

That changes nothing about everything I said. 

Do you find it the least bit hypocritical on face value that EVE’s lead designer is openly part of one of the larger botting and RMT corp alliances in the game? Kristoffer "CCP Soundwave" Touborg a former director, spymaster et al… (YOUTUBE VIDEO)

Gee… The game’s current lead designer held what corp position again? Hmmm… To quote him, "No Honor", indeed.  It at least makes you think doesn't it? Considering the games history.

Yes. CCP has looked into implementing a bot system of their own for players to use. I’ve been hesitant in writing it outright because I somehow lost my link to the quote and status. IDK. So, I am simply stating it and hoping you’ll not accuse me of making things up.

Really. That's one dead falsehood of the ones labeled. I could slay some more. But that would be counter productive as I'm not looking at a fight as much as exchanging viewpoints.

Adam... Sure. But I'd contend that with some thought to fun on the design teams part in play activities that you'd enjoy those fleet roams a heckuvalot more. As it is i wonder if you'll say the same thing a year and a half from now. I hope so for your sake but I wonder.

Plex takes money out of the hands of illegal farmers, and every mmo should have such a feature. It's because the games makers have also been successful players, that they can bring effective and innovative features to the game. Imagine the effect on illegal farmers if the major PVE games had such a system.

Everything else you mention is no different from any other game, and you're implication that the games designers are trying to produce a bad game is just silly.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by qazyman

EVE online is a game where bad design decisions have become accepted features over time to keep the game alive. Multiboxing helps pad the account total obscenely and is required for many play options, they are looking to incorporate mining bots, PLEX, RMT in 0.0, character sales, a tiny little player map with most people hiding in Hi Sec because they can’t compete with the power blocks, NEX that WILL include game affecting items in time per the dev teams own recent words…

I thought you meant CCP was looking to implement legal mining bots in 0.0 and legal RMT. The sentence was vague at best.

That changes nothing about everything I said. 

Do you find it the least bit hypocritical on face value that EVE’s lead designer is openly part of one of the larger botting and RMT corp alliances in the game? Kristoffer "CCP Soundwave" Touborg a former director, spymaster et al… (YOUTUBE VIDEO)

Gee… The game’s current lead designer held what corp position again? Hmmm… To quote him, "No Honor", indeed.  It at least makes you think doesn't it? Considering the games history.

Yes. CCP has looked into implementing a bot system of their own for players to use. I’ve been hesitant in writing it outright because I somehow lost my link to the quote and status. IDK. So, I am simply stating it and hoping you’ll not accuse me of making things up.

Really. That's one dead falsehood of the ones labeled. I could slay some more. But that would be counter productive as I'm not looking at a fight as much as exchanging viewpoints.

Adam... Sure. But I'd contend that with some thought to fun on the design teams part in play activities that you'd enjoy those fleet roams a heckuvalot more. As it is i wonder if you'll say the same thing a year and a half from now. I hope so for your sake but I wonder.

Plex takes money out of the hands of illegal farmers, and every mmo should have such a feature. It's because the games makers have also been successful players, that they can bring effective and innovative features to the game. Imagine the effect on illegal farmers if the major PVE games had such a system.

Everything else you mention is no different from any other game, and you're implication that the games designers are trying to produce a bad game is just silly.

Yes imagine the effect if the game allowed for trading virtual currency for subscription time that could then be sold for real money.  I am certain gold farming activities would dwindle then..... or not.....

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I feel as though maybe we are playing different games OP.  Yes there are some things that I am and my corpmates just look over (having multiple accounts, long lasting bugs, general game design) and some things we are worried about (RMT, eve's "future vision", botting, etc) but generally this is a game where you can literally do whatever you want.

It seems like you are focusing on the "bad" aspects of Eve for whatever reason, maybe due to your experiences with the game.  There is a lot more to the game than your post would lead to me believe.  I could sit here and dispute your claims, but it'd be kind of pointless.  Seems you have made your mind up that Eve is a bad game.  Hey, it's not for everyone.  Go play a game you enjoy.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

OP, it's time for you to move on from EVE and never look back. Bottom line is that it's a game. When you are looking to get more out of it than a game can provide, and you've reached the point where you're overthinking things and have grown myopic in your views/opinions, it's time to go.

You seem reasonable, so I hope you don't take my advice in a negative way: Cancel your sub and go. Run away. Don't look back. Play something else. And if you ever come back, make sure it's with a fresh perspective and less preconceptions.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

Awww... Poor wittle pirate pew pew man gone steamed. He called my favorite game mediocre,. I mean Oh... Gee.. Let's jump on PLEX cause I think it's cool and can defend it insted of botting taking away from players.

So exactly how did the Russians use $100,000 in cash with PLEX? Oh, yeah. That got rid of the farmers right? Or did it just change the shape of the meta game forever... Now we'll just kick the miners from 0.0. Bot the materials we need and sell oodles of plex for mass currency needs! WoW.

Uhm... yueah. We dumb to complain BR4H.

PS: I'm not just focusing on bots it was just the current issue in thread between myself and a pair of others.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Lol really dude.  Just step away and realize that Eve is just a game.  IT'S JUST A GAME.  SPACESHIPS ARE SRSBSNS RITE!!?!!?  If it's not fun, just go do something else. 

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

I will say EVE wasn't for me

but I do find it is heavily promoted on this website... (which doesn't make it a bad game)

take that as you will.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by blazin-ace.

Let's jump on PLEX cause I think it's cool and can defend it insted of botting taking away from players.

So exactly how did the Russians use $100,000 in cash with PLEX? Oh, yeah. That got rid of the farmers right? Or did it just change the shape of the meta game forever... Now we'll just kick the miners from 0.0. Bot the materials we need and sell oodles of plex for mass currency needs! WoW.

Uhm... yueah. We dumb to complain BR4H.

PS: I'm not just focusing on bots it was just the current issue in thread between myself and a pair of others.

It's the players that do the botting..............

I agree that the second red part is a very real problem. It’s a problem that players have, and it hurts CCP and the game.

I think this is something that CCP, the CSM, and alliance leaders have to decide they are going to address.

But blaming it on CCP or implying that this is an EVE problem is just wrong. It’s a gaming problem that is the fault of gamers.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Remove the PvP, remove the grind of ISK and what do you have?

A game nobody would play. Absolutely, undeniabley nobody.

You know how I know? Its already there. Its called EVE test server. I've never seen 100 people there. I can go in with 5 accounts, make an alliance, claim sov, have an outpost, make Titans, super carriers and anything else I want in 2 months.

Take away the ISK grind, take away the PvP and you have a hollow shell of a game that is as simple as putting your socks on in the morning.

After 8 years though, the ISK grind and the PvP are as boring as the game would be with them.

I wonder how many people now in EVE would be there in 2 months if CCP said, lets do a reset?

Understand that this thread is not an actual attempt at a review or play through account on my part. To be utterly fair in that regard to EVE would take a fresh character named publically, a significant commitment, and perhaps more time and work than most any other MMO describing the experience step by step along the path of play with the other needed material too… 

Instead, after a lot of play time in the past and what appears to be a failed return I told you where I was at with the game, felt about it all, and asked: Are we all being honest about EVE? Or is it just dying hype born of unmet potential.... What do you think of the game right now, in truth?

You know, collect some opinions so I could figure out where I was missing out. But apparently some of my current views are so strongly presented that they became the focus of attention rather than what I kinda needed to beat the bleak away and keep on.

It’s alright. *Put em up.*

I might get another star filled by my name outta this or something.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Are you trying to say that people, perhaps even most people, playing EVE are doing so because they do not like it?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Instead, after a lot of play time in the past and what appears to be a failed return I told you where I was at with the game, felt about it all, and asked: Are we all being honest about EVE? Or is it just dying hype born of unmet potential.... What do you think of the game right now, in truth?

I'm certainly being honest with myself when I say that I love playing EVE. It seems like you're asking this question because somewhere along the way you deceived yourself into believing something that wasn't true, and now want to blame anyone but yourself for that deception.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D

LOL.

Edit: Man, you gotta love fanbois....

LOL.

Edit: Man, you gotta love fanbois....

Are you suggesting that anyone who enjoys playing EVE is a "fanbois"?

1/10 troll.

I watched rookie chat... I gave away a batch of 500 Million credits to a random new player that showed something. Never siad anything.  But I hope they have fun. Then, I set my character for termination and removed the game client. An end to EVE for me.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Stopped reading after the blatant BS about devs saying the NEX would include game affecting items. They have clearly said the opposite. Go ahead and find where this supposed dev said that, don't worry I'll wait. I'm in fleets with a CSM regularly and while there was a period of time where it wasn't clear, after a trip to Iceland it was clear that they had no intention of doing that. That CCP scare is over, let it go.

Honestly man you just same jaded.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

eve used to be good, garbage now. the cancelled subs and decreasing player numbers over last 2 years speak for themselves.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by free2play

Remove the PvP, remove the grind of ISK and what do you have?

A game nobody would play. Absolutely, undeniabley nobody.

You know how I know? Its already there. Its called EVE test server. I've never seen 100 people there. I can go in with 5 accounts, make an alliance, claim sov, have an outpost, make Titans, super carriers and anything else I want in 2 months.

Take away the ISK grind, take away the PvP and you have a hollow shell of a game that is as simple as putting your socks on in the morning.

After 8 years though, the ISK grind and the PvP are as boring as the game would be with them.

I wonder how many people now in EVE would be there in 2 months if CCP said, lets do a reset?

It's more than just PvP, it's meta-game. That's a really silly thing to say though.It's like saying WoW would be a hollow shell of a game without PvE - Duh.

Originally posted by helthros

Stopped reading after the blatant BS about devs saying the NEX would include game affecting items. They have clearly said the opposite. Go ahead and find where this supposed dev said that, don't worry I'll wait. I'm in fleets with a CSM regularly and while there was a period of time where it wasn't clear, after a trip to Iceland it was clear that they had no intention of doing that. That CCP scare is over, let it go.

this made me lol, im sorry. few things...

CCP purposely did not clearly state what NEX will encompass. read their language carefully and you will see what i mean. they said whatever to buy time. but rest assured, you WILL soon see variations of ammo, ships and aesthetical tools in the NEX store.

youre in fleets with a CSM? do you have any idea how little credibility and relevance CSM has? the entire emergency meeting just added fuel to the fire...CSM was put in its place by Zulu.

CCP scare is over...yes, in a way the drama is over. but youre probably just noticing the eerie silence of thousands who stopped giving a shit about the game and just left.

im sure many will return when useful features are implemented or reworked, but youre looking at late 2012 at best.

the saddest part of all? 2 years ago when Trinity was implemented, CCP was at the top. and they singlehandedly destroyed what EVE stood for during the years that followed: sandbox, pvp, niche. EVE no longer has a niche. most forms of pvp are a BORE at best, and spectacular failures at worst. there are AMAZING games coming out over the next 6 months or so, and EVE will soon be forgotten by most. people have better things to do. EVE reached its pinnacle about 2 years ago, and it's been nothing but a steady descent into mediocrity ever since. cocky delusional devs are cocky and delusional O.o

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by sonoggi

CCP purposely did not clearly state what NEX will encompass. read their language carefully and you will see what i mean. they said whatever to buy time. but rest assured, you WILL soon see variations of ammo, ships and aesthetical tools in the NEX store.

youre in fleets with a CSM? do you have any idea how little credibility and relevance CSM has? the entire emergency meeting just added fuel to the fire...CSM was put in its place by Zulu.

CCP scare is over...yes, in a way the drama is over. but youre probably just noticing the eerie silence of thousands who stopped giving a shit about the game and just left.

im sure many will return when useful features are implemented or reworked, but youre looking at late 2012 at best.

the saddest part of all? 2 years ago when Trinity was implemented, CCP was at the top. and they singlehandedly destroyed what EVE stood for during the years that followed: sandbox, pvp, niche. EVE no longer has a niche. most forms of pvp are a BORE at best, and spectacular failures at worst. there are AMAZING games coming out over the next 6 months or so, and EVE will soon be forgotten by most. people have better things to do. EVE reached its pinnacle about 2 years ago, and it's been nothing but a steady descent into mediocrity ever since. cocky delusional devs are cocky and delusional O.o

And the earth is also flat. That is all.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

<>

...there are AMAZING games coming out over the next 6 months or so...

I'm just curious what games you're talking about? I'm interested because I'm hoping you know some games coming out soon of which I'm unaware! Would you mind listing said games? 

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I dont even play EvE and know you are talking bullshit sonoggi , If you dont like a game, fine, if you dont like a company fine to, if you wish to point out mistakes in the past , all fine,  but do not just stupilty -Lie-  just coz you dont like the game.

EvE is a game that will still be played in ten years even if they make the biggest F**ups possible ala NGE , its the only game that has a truely modulair game system that can be updated whenever they want/need to.  I respect the game for what it is and I respect the players that do like it even if its not the kind of game for me.

<>

...there are AMAZING games coming out over the next 6 months or so...

I'm just curious what games you're talking about? I'm interested because I'm hoping you know some games coming out soon of which I'm unaware! Would you mind listing said games? 

TOR, BF3, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Arkham City, ME3, GW2 and probably D3....it could be just me but i dont think i'll have enough time to play all these amazing titles. as someone who's been playing EVE since BETA (like many of my former corpmates and acquaintances who have quit in disgust), EVE will be the furthest from my mind. in fact, i last logged in about 3 weeks back to check out Incarna, and pretty much everyone i pvp'd  with in FW and nullsec is gone. i havent thought about the game until i saw this post.  most veterans have lost trust and faith in CCP, and are bored playing a game that hasnt had any significant feature updates since early 2010.

im not trying to make you hate the game. i dont hate it. im just saying, CCP's dedication to EVE fans is questionable (they lie through their teeth, and see us as numbers or statistics), and the subs have been decreasing over the last year and a half or so. these are the facts. if you think otherwise, you are either new to the game or extremely deluded.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

im not trying to make you hate the game. i dont hate it. im just saying, CCP's dedication to EVE fans is questionable (they lie through their teeth, and see us as numbers or statistics), and the subs have been decreasing over the last year and a half or so. these are the facts. if you think otherwise, you are either new to the game or extremely deluded.

Where are you getting this info from?