Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The more and more I look at Tera.. the more I love it.

GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Now call me a fanboy... but ive been waiting for this game to come out in NA. And today for some reason ive been watching Tera videos and getting more and more interested. Has anyone else been waiting for a long time to play this game? Do you think it will break Action MMORPGS out of the fail loop? I have and I think it will. 

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I've been following this game for years, long before they starting talking about action combat, I was just a fan of the art style. I must admit I now tend to judge mmos to come such as SWTOR, TSW, Archeage and GW2 by how innovative the combat looks, and only GW2 seems to be making an effort, but TERA is the standard I judge them by. It’s the lacklustre combat that is the reason (apart from the graphics) that I haven’t got swept away with the SWTOR hype. After all 95% of my time in an mmo is spent in combat.

Still, westernization is a tricky thing, even as a fan of Asian rpgs/mmos, many things can go wrong, and Tera seems to have issues, but I would still try it.

• GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Not here no.  Everytime something from the asian market pops up it gets attention.  Then what will happen is it will bleed subs quickly, merge servers and settle in to a low pop niche game.  Its just how the cycle goes.  The combat in this automatically makes it niche.  PVP aspect narrows that niche just a bit more then throw in the art style which narrows it just a wee bit more.  So I would not hold your breath.  I hope it does well but after seeing all this before it just seems destined to head this way.

Well im a huge Asian game fanboy anyways... my first MMO was Silkroad Online and I played that game for a while before I tried out WoW in I believe its 1 1/2 birthday... maybe sooner. Im also a huge fan of Aion... and have a active sub for that... I dont think this game will die like the rest because even right now Aion is growing back up and I think the devs of Tera know the cycle you speak of and they know how to fix it.  

Originally posted by zevni78

I've been following this game for years, long before they starting talking about action combat, I was just a fan of the art style. I must admit I now tend to judge mmos to come such as SWTOR, TSW, Archeage and GW2 by how innovative the combat looks, and only GW2 seems to be making an effort, but TERA is the standard I judge them by. It’s the lacklustre combat that is the reason (apart from the graphics) that I haven’t got swept away with the SWTOR hype. After all 95% of my time in an mmo is spent in combat.

Exactly... SWTOR is not that different from the rest as far as combat goes, but I will still be testing it out in Early Access just to find out the rest of it doesnt put it over the edge to make it awesome. Im not sure how long ive been following Tera... but im almost about to learn Korean and buy a Korean account . >.<

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Actually Archeage makes me want to learn Korean, as I starve for that kind of sandbox content. I can wait for Tera, but it has already changed me, last year footage of SWTOR or TSW's combat would have got me excited, now it just leave me cold. (Was also the reason I am taking a break from RIFT, I love Trion, but my brain cannot handle tedious combat).

I have been told that the combat in C9 may be even better than TERA, (but its not a full mmo).

Originally posted by zevni78

Actually Archeage makes me want to learn Korean, as I starve for that kind of sandbox content. I can wait for Tera, but it has already changed me, last year footage of SWTOR or TSW's combat would have got me excited, now it just leave me cold. (Was also the reason I am taking a break from RIFT, I love Trion, but my brain cannot handle tedious combat).

Yeah Archeage looks awesome too, but I do see that one failing a little more than Tera because what ive seen from it really isnt that spectacular... its almost like the stuff that Tera left out thrown in another game imo. Like the full physics thing is awesome, but I havnt seen enough yet to convince me. I will try it out though when it comes out for sure, but yeah Tera has changed me a tad as far as the combat goes. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Geowash

Now call me a fanboy... but ive been waiting for this game to come out in NA. And today for some reason ive been watching Tera videos and getting more and more interested. Has anyone else been waiting for a long time to play this game? Do you think it will break Action MMORPGS out of the fail loop? I have and I think it will. 

One word: yes

It has potential to be an excellent game as long as EmE is up to the task.

There is no other game out there that will allow a single player to be able to take down a party mob,  it only depends on how good the player is and not about how good his gear is: 

Level 58 Sorcerer v Level 57 BAM:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tncZewmoCQ&feature=player_embedded

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

There is no other game out there that will allow a single player to be able to take down a party mob,  it only depends on how good the player is and not about how good his gear is: 

Level 58 Sorcerer v Level 57 BAM:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tncZewmoCQ&feature=player_embedded

Exactly and thats the best part of this game... is level doesnt always matter... the skill of the player does. 

• AgileeAgilee Member Posts: 46

Idk i saw a video on TERA and i was very confused. There was a group of 5 people going to kill a boss, 1 looked like a healer and the other 4 looked like dps.. i didnt see any tanks and the 4 dps were just runing in and out attacking the boss. The boss didnt look like he had mechanics either, it might just be me though or the video.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Agilee

Idk i saw a video on TERA and i was very confused. There was a group of 5 people going to kill a boss, 1 looked like a healer and the other 4 looked like dps.. i didnt see any tanks and the 4 dps were just runing in and out attacking the boss. The boss didnt look like he had mechanics either, it might just be me though or the video.

Well thats because you need to physically dodge to avoid attacks, no matter if you are a tank or dps, so in return, you can be sufficient in a group without a proper tank. The only thing that makes tank to do their job better is that they can block attacks, and as far as I know, most class can fill the dps role.

As for why I'm interested in TERA, the poilitical system........OMGOMGOMGOMG I really like that idea. Hopefully this makes the environment less linear.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Exactly and thats the best part of this game... is level doesnt always matter... the skill of the player does. 

How much skill was involved there though?  Running in circles around a slow attacking mob does not seem to generally equal skill.  I cannot read Korean and I do not know that particular encounter so I am at a disadvantage in that regard but thats what it appeared to be.  Makes me think pvp will be yet another circle strafe borefest.  The political system is something I am keeping an eye on however to see if that redeems it for me.  I mean a single player took down a raid mob in warcraft if I remember properly.   

Yeah a single player can take down a raid boss in WoW if the player is higher level or the boss is so nerfed that its like a normal Elite. And if dodging attacks doesnt show skill the idk what does, I guess this isnt a super good example, but if you watch other mob fights then I guess it will. The only thing that I remember that took skill in WoW came from PVP in Vanilla were my level 40 Hunter friend took down a level 60 in full epics... that was pretty awesome and I love mechanics like that which is why WoW died for me after BC... gear became skill and skill became gear.  

From the looks of it Tera isnt following that path which excites me. 

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Originally posted by Agilee

Well thats because you need to physically dodge to avoid attacks, no matter if you are a tank or dps, so in return, you can be sufficient in a group without a proper tank. The only thing that makes tank to do their job better is that they can block attacks, and as far as I know, most class can fill the dps role.

As for why I'm interested in TERA, the poilitical system........OMGOMGOMGOMG I really like that idea. Hopefully this makes the environment less linear.

Yes the political system looks very cool and probably one of the biggest reasons Tera is unique. 

• Miroku271Miroku271 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Oh boy have I been waiting... since mid 2009. I fell in love instantly. And eventually it slowly made its way to the back my mind... until recently. I started looking for videos on youtube and noticed there was a boom of videos in the jan - may 2011 and got very excited. I have almost finished watching 2 or 3 pages worth of videos within 3 days... would've been more if i didnt rewatch some of them because they're awesome.

How much skill was involved there though?  Running in circles around a slow attacking mob does not seem to generally equal skill.  I cannot read Korean and I do not know that particular encounter so I am at a disadvantage in that regard but thats what it appeared to be.  Makes me think pvp will be yet another circle strafe borefest.  The political system is something I am keeping an eye on however to see if that redeems it for me.  I mean a single player took down a raid mob in warcraft if I remember properly.   

If you consider that the mob in the video has the potential to 1 shot that sorcerer,  one small mistake by him could end it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

If you consider that the mob in the video has the potential to 1 shot that sorcerer,  one small mistake by him could end it.

Exactly lol. 

I think its a game I would need hands on to get the feeling from what you guys are seeing.  

Yeah and hopefully soon because I'm dieing to play it again myself.

This vid might help a little bit better to understand the mechanics.  The class is the Warrior and its an evasion tank:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3sEkva5scI&feature=channel_video_title  it's probably one of the hardest classes to play in tera.

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

I've been watching this game for a long time. It has greatly interested me. I love the combat, the feel of the game, and how it plays as well as how it looks. If it has a solid NA launch, I will play it. Hopefully whoever owns the game doesn't screw it up with shady payment methods or major changing patches at the start / no patches at all etc etc.

This game looks the most appealing to me over GW2 and SWTOR, my own personal opinion and reasons. I hope it doesn't fall flat on its face. It has some interesting things, the political system been one of them.