Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About the wow killer thread

Folks, maybe i should have reworded to what my previous post was about the term wow killer. I did not mean that SWTOR will completely destroy world of warcraft. I should have reworded the term SWTOR to cripple wow's suscribers base and severely outsubscribe world of warcraft eventually. That other thread was what i meant. Sorry about that.

The reason i made that post in the first place was the overwhelming reposnse to day 1 SWTOR's pre order on online stores and even gamestops brike and mortar shops. This is not just another hype like WAR, or AION, or STO or even AOC pre orders.

The day 1 pre orders for SWTOR blew me away the reponse from general mmorpg public has been awesome, this hype is unusual. Eventually When SWTOR could reach world of warcraft's cataclysm level box sales, and retain all these players between now and launch day, this could outpace and outsubscribe World of warcraft's subscription and cripple wow's subscribers. With the huge demand of pre orders on day 1 this is really really possible. The hype for this game is unreal, never before seen in any mmorpg EVER.

Wow will never die your all right about that, but it can be crippled due to SWTOR. If i werent impressed by the reponse of pre orders this thread or wow killer thread would never have been posted ever.

Comments

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by Furor

Folks, maybe i should have reworded to what my previous post was about the term wow killer. I did not mean that SWTOR will completely destroy world of warcraft. I should have reworded the term SWTOR to cripple wow's suscribers base and severely outsubscribe world of warcraft eventually. That other thread was what i meant. Sorry about that.

The reason i made that post in the first place was the overwhelming reposnse to day 1 SWTOR's pre order on online stores and even gamestops brike and mortar shops. This is not just another hype like WAR, or AION, or STO or even AOC pre orders.

The day 1 pre orders for SWTOR blew me away the reponse from general mmorpg public has been awesome, this hype is unusual. Eventually When SWTOR could reach world of warcraft's cataclysm level box sales, and retain all these players between now and launch day, this could outpace and outsubscribe World of warcraft's subscription and cripple wow's subscribers. With the huge demand of pre orders on day 1 this is really really possible. The hype for this game is unreal, never before seen in any mmorpg EVER.

Wow will never die your all right about that, but it can be crippled due to SWTOR. If i werent impressed by the reponse of pre orders this thread or wow killer thread would never have been posted ever.

Well, if any MMO release is going to be able to complete on the same level as WOW has it is this one. The pre-orders I think blew everyone away. No one expected this level of activity (except maybe Bioware/EA). It has definatelt been staggering to say the least.

We will have to wait and see but I am impressed with many of the gameplay features of SWTOR and love bioware games so I can see this reaching WOW level subs and that competition will be good. It will prove that WOW was not a complete anomoly.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

So what are these pre-order numbers you mention ? Do you have a number or just a guess ?

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Sorry, but I don't see what's so unusual about it. The company has been hyping the game for years. Pre-orders are popular. Star Wars is popular. I am not surprised in the least.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

Shouldn't matter if it affects WoW or not. WoW's doing a fine job at affecting WoW.  WoW's been around so long and has it's die hard player base and always will. SWTOR will do what SWTOR does and will probably have minimal affect on WoW's player base other than attract people looking for something different from the same ol same ol because it's been out so long.  Of course the hype is pretty much like nothing ever seen before because it's what SWG should have been and failed to do hence SWG meets it's death in December.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

This is the amount of potential customers SWG and SOE could have had, if Smedley and gang had not mismanaged their product. I really hope this will be an eye opener for upper management at Sony.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Well ppl saying wow killer for some time now age of conan , warhammer , aion . I do realy think if their is a game that can bring wow down or atleast realy hurt it that its the old republic .

Not only did they have a huge budget but also since its bioware and they are samekind of company like blizzard was before wow , up to now bioware did mostly bring out very good games.

Myself i realy hope the game keeps up with the hype and its the game i finaly will play for years and can cancel my wow sub. From what i see so far i realy believe this game can be next big thing and even without testing the game myself i have alot of trust in bioware same as i did have with blizzard before wow we just need to see what will happens , but i think if this game will not get wow a bit down than no game will for years to come maybe guildwars 2 but i doubt that .

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

Don't think they care Sandbox.  Is ashame but inevitable

Chins

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I hope it doesn't take a single sub away from WoW.

Let the WoW players stay there, lest they contaminate SWTOR with their foulness.

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Let the WoW players stay there, lest they contaminate SWTOR with their foulness.

Oh God please stop with the twattery

Chins

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406

We can only hope, but it will not happen.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

As much i am looking forward to the old republic i know for sure it will attract alot of former wow players and their are alot of anti social ppl their. tho with every super big mmo you will have more idiots than a small one but also more nice players if you can find them that is ;)

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please respond to the thread you have already created. Multiple threads on the same topic are not allowed.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.