Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STEAM!!

astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I will probably not buy your game if you release it on steam. That is all. I am so livid right now. I have appended 'ing pile of crap' to the desktop short cut.

/rant

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Comments

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263

What are you talking about. Steam is great. And if you wont buy games from steam its your own loss

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by astoria

I will probably not buy your game if you release it on steam. That is all. I am so livid right now. I have appended 'ing pile of crap' to the desktop short cut.

/rant

Cool story.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

I've never had any issues with Steam. I was all about D2D at first but once I started using Steam I never looked back.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Onli issue I've had with steam is that my Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is not modable. :(

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I don't have issues with it per se. I can always get it to work, but it is an unneeded and slow program that wastes my time.

I joined the I hate steam facebook page and i feel better. thanks for your comments . :)

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263

your pc is slow

Originally posted by albers

your pc is slow

bull.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

the only problem with steam is when your forced to use it.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• VulskoVulsko Member Posts: 80

Steam is amazing, you're out of your mind, and your computer must suck if it drags it down. Rofl.

Originally posted by warmaster670

Yeah that's probably 95% of my rant.

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

Steam slow for you?  Uh, upgrade from Windows 98 perhaps?   I find it hilarious that you're so spiteful of something you can choose to not partake in that you might not even buy the game.

But seriously, you can't beat the steam deals.  Have fun paying full price (Civilization V is up for $17 right now for the weekend for those interested).

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

That's one of my issues with it.  Others include:

* Numerous Steam titles don't like mods.  Dive into enough mods and you'll find out about issues with Steam compatability.  Some get workarounds, some don't.

* Forced update to current version of a game, whether you like it or not.  There are times when you don't want the current patch because the devs f*cked something up with the latest release.  Even with instructions NOT to auto update, Steam says, "F*ck You" and updates anyways, hence some of the mod issues.

* I travel extensively at times, sometimes up to 6-8 months.  Purchasing titles on Steam while outside my home country?  No can do.  What's the point of it then?

* In regards to the travel I do, internet access outside work is not possible in some areas where I'm at.  Work access is of course heavily monitored / policed, so no gaming and such at work.  I do still get mail and a few times I've received packages from places like Amazon or even GameStop with games I ordered.  But they require Steam to activate, so no go there.  The game I legally bought and have the physical CDs I can't even install and play because Steam is needed.

There's merits to Steam but all in all, I dislike it quite a bit.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• PsylacusPsylacus Member Posts: 13

You know you can set steam to not update your games (its in the games options under update preferences.)

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Just put Steam on an extern and backup your games using Steam's backup feature. Then you can install games without having internet access.

Originally posted by Warmaker

That's one of my issues with it.  Others include:

* Numerous Steam titles don't like mods.  Dive into enough mods and you'll find out about issues with Steam compatability.  Some get workarounds, some don't.

* Forced update to current version of a game, whether you like it or not.  There are times when you don't want the current patch because the devs f*cked something up with the latest release.  Even with instructions NOT to auto update, Steam says, "F*ck You" and updates anyways, hence some of the mod issues.

* I travel extensively at times, sometimes up to 6-8 months.  Purchasing titles on Steam while outside my home country?  No can do.  What's the point of it then?

* In regards to the travel I do, internet access outside work is not possible in some areas where I'm at.  Work access is of course heavily monitored / policed, so no gaming and such at work.  I do still get mail and a few times I've received packages from places like Amazon or even GameStop with games I ordered.  But they require Steam to activate, so no go there.  The game I legally bought and have the physical CDs I can't even install and play because Steam is needed.

There's merits to Steam but all in all, I dislike it quite a bit.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

While I like Valve, and I like steam as a delivery portal and their sales, it really is the most cumbersome of ALL DRM type software.

Offline mode only works for a limited amount of time, as steam knows it needs to update on a schedule try using offline mode beyond that and none of your games will launch.

Bad localization $1 to 1 Euro issues.

Bad Mod support.

Forced updating, with a terrible patching system that can only replace entire items not partials (thanks for 12gb Witcher 2 patch) Though this is pending a fix.

It is still DRM.

All in all the benifits outweigh the cons provided you dont travel a lot and never ever have any faults with or prolonged down time on your internet connection, but its not flawless and does need improving.

• DeViLzzz2007DeViLzzz2007 Member Posts: 107

I really love Steam.  The only place that I visit more that relates to gaming is Gamespot.

Money is the root of all evil.

• Vortex5ooVortex5oo Member Posts: 106

Never had a problem with steam, never had problems to use disable auto-updates function, mods, offline playing or anything. Right now I both play Arma 2 with autoupdate disabled and 20-30 addons, Oblivion with over 100 mods installed and X3:Terran Conflict with over 20 mods. No problems what ever during the 7 last years.

Sure forcing user who dont like steam to use it is not very good, but I dont mind if the games come to steam too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have in the past modded both GTA:San Andreas and GTA:IV on steam and got it working. Its a little more work than without steam but still total doable. Tutorials all over youtube. :)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Haters gonna hate... I personally love Steam and probably about 3/4 of the games on my computer right now are through Steam. I haven't had a single problem with speed or Mods for any game but then again I have a fairly modern up to date PC. Sure Modding involves a few more steps with Steam mainly because the games are not in the standard install location but it's still more than doable. As for game updates... you do know you can disable that for any game, right? Also the first thing I do after downloading a game is back it up to my external HD so I won't ever have to DL it again. I can also use that same backup to install any game on the other PCs I use my steam account on. Every so called 'problem' listed here seems to me to be a very thin excuse just to jump on the Steam hate wagon... Just sayin'.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Mai main steam twubble comes from nu being able to use my credit card from a different country. Ai had to go to tech support and they fixeded the issue for me but it was still kinda twubblesome...

(>.<)

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Steam sux.  In the 12 hours it takes to download one of their games I could have walked to the store and back 5 times.  And I live in Houston!

craptastic downloads there.  Speeds around 340 bps.  Seriously?  I have downloaded other games from EA and MMO through the vendors in 1/3 the time it takes to get a game from Steam.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I absolutely love steam personally, i always get fast download speeds, and have never had any problems with them, every game runs perfectly and i dont notice steam affecting performance at all.

The only arguement you could really have against steam is the DRM.. If steam dies I think you lose all your stuff.

So the day Steam dies, i quit gaming. :)

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Yep steam sucks, it sucks big time.  Currently I am unable to play Shogun 2: Total war because every time I try to connect with steam I get an error since some random patch.

Steam is a big steaming pile.  If I buy a hard copy of a game, I expect to be able to run it without having to use some crappy 3rd party program.

I've said it before and I will say it again.

For 1:  Use Direct2drive   ---  You can purchase games online and download them from there with ZERO third party requirement  (Unless you download Shogun, or Civ 5, which REQUIRES steam, bullspit).

For 2: I don't need a program to allow me to network with friends, isn't that what social networking sites are for?  Nothing like getting spam invites from random people on steam  (I still have no idea how people are finding me and why they want me to be their friend.)

For 3:  Steam just plain sucks.  And I wouldn't use it if I didn't have to, but for some reason some games like to use malware (steam in my opinion).  I guess it isn't INTENDED to screw up my computer, but it sure does a good job of making a mess of things.

For 4:  If I don't want to patch my game I shouldn't have to.  With steam, you cannot play the game until you patch it.  Also with steam, it makes getting modifications for games a LOT more difficult, if that is even possible sometimes with certain games.

For 5:  Steam still sucks.

Edit: As far as disabling updates, I suppose I just haven't read the steam "guide" yet.  I can pause updates, but if I cancel, and attempt to launch a game, it says,,, "Game will launch after download".  Either way, I dislike steam very very very much.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Love Steam.  Just bought another game, downloaded it at 2.5mb/s.  The download speeds were absolutely horrible during the summer sale though.  I have got a pretty decent connection, but during the summer sale I was only getting 200 kb/s if not worse most of the time.  I really think Valve should better prepare of those huge sales, especially since TF2 is free now.  I did read that they are working on an update or updating some hardware or something that will hopefully improve download speed during the sales.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Originally posted by Worstluck

Love Steam.  Just bought another game, downloaded it at 2.5mb/s.  The download speeds were absolutely horrible during the summer sale though.  I have got a pretty decent connection, but during the summer sale I was only getting 200 kb/s if not worse most of the time.  I really think Valve should better prepare of those huge sales, especially since TF2 is free now.  I did read that they are working on an update or updating some hardware or something that will hopefully improve download speed during the sales.

During holiday sales i just change my steam to connect to some god forsaken country that for some reason still has internet, and that always works. :p

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Whenever I buy any game I check if its on steam 1st. If not I go boxed.

Remember Old School Ultima Online