Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1.18 Comprehensive Patch Notes

2»

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by JeroKane

Maybe you should have a good look on the official forums. I don't call pigeon holing and excluding a better effort of defining classes. Traumaturges especially have gotten the shaft with this patch. So are lancers and maurauders.

The new dungeons are now done with Gladiators/Rangers/Conjurer groups, and the rest pretty much being excluded right now.

Ofcourse you can blame the community for always going for the path of least resistance. But that is just the nature of gamers these days and always has been (just look at WoW, EQ2, etc... same thing).

But in the end it's the developers that made this possible. Another bad after effect of Patch 1.18 !

Gil rewards on guild leaves have been greatly reduced! Low level guild leaves that gave 1000 gil (for example) before, now only gave me 200 or so gil now!

After a year of heavy inflation and terrible increase of item prices... I think it's a bit late to suddenly NERF gil rewards on leaves!

As tell me... how is a new player EVER going to afford new armor and weapons? It was already difficult before... it's a total nightmare now!

Hello, first of all let me say that Lancers and Mauraders certainly did not "get the shaft" this patch, I'm not sure what would lead you to beleive that.  Lancers got one extremely OP (rank 42)TP wiping move nerfed, but this was only exploited by end game shells mainly to do rank 87 and rank 90+ mobs simply to show they could, they got new animations to make up for it.  They still have unbeatable utility and do great damage, and with speed surge+auto attack they are arguably better off than with the stamina system.  Thaumaturges (who prior to the patch were the best at every single role in the entire game got their healing/tanking ability nerfed, they are still fine healers however, not as good as conjurers but good enough.  They still do good damage, and they still are very useful for their debuffs and myriad of bad ass abilities which are just awesome in the hands of a competent player in group settings.  I see darkhold groups LF Thaumaturge all the time in Ul'dah.

The new Dungeon is not done with only Archer/Conjurer/Gladiator groups, this is why you should not get your impressions of a patch from the first and second day's rants on the forum.  The reason that people were going in with Archer/Conjurer/Gladiator groups is because frankly they were too impatient/lazy/stupid to figure out the ogre encounter's mechanics.  Inferno drop (massive AOE damage) can be easily interupted by weapon skills making melee no more a liability than archers as long as they can move with the tank when the Bogy's teleport.  My linkshell does Darkhold with melee all the time, it is hardly a handicap for people who know how to play/can learn how to play.

If you want NPC produced gil some sidequests give better gil, as do higher level guildleves/faction leves.  However, you will never (and you would have never before 1.18) gotten as much as gil as if you actually participated in the in-game economy.  Go get a retainer, put him up in an Ul'dah market ward and sell your shard/crystals.  You can easily make 150-250k a stack doing this which even once is more than enough to buy all the gear you in this game (not +1/3 maybe, but certainly enough to not make you gimp).  Repair/sell your old gear when you are done as well and you can stretch a little gil a long way.

Alternatively if there is an item that has had its price driven up recently you might want to join a linkshell, or simply ask around for crafters who can craft it for you assuming you have gathered the proper materials (or at least what base/non-crafted materials are necessary).

Alternatively, again, you can get lots of gear doing guildleves from the different cities, from sidequests (list of sidequests and rewards here), and from participating in the Garlean invasion events which reward even +3 items upon completion.

Now Ul'Dah has the largest market ward with most stuff for sale.

The cheapest rank 7 or rank 10 item, like a sword or a shield or any other item is like 60.000 to over 100.000 gil !!  Just a single piece!

It's insane and extremely sad at the same time! The whole FF community is basically giving a sense of "elitism" and total disrespect towards new players and don't give them any chance at all to get into the game.

You should not be forced to beg for hours in chat in a desperate attempt to find a nice Linkshell and then start begging in there for someone to make you some armor, a weapon or whatever!

A new player should be able to explore and get into the game on himself, gear up a little and find things out on his own first!

The high ranked, settled players can say "Go join a linkshell! That will fix it!". But it does not, as it's far from easy to find a nice linkshell!  As EVERYONE is very closed in and secretive ingame. No one is basically advertising their linkshell or actively recruiting! NO ONE!  The FF community is very closed and distant! More than any other game I've played.

I myself have tried hard to find a linkshell, but people refuse to respond to tells nor respond to chat AT ALL! Everyone is closed in, on theirselves, hiding within already established linkshells.

It is exactly what you said Kev, in the cities most people are just standing there as a Sell bot, or sitting and have a crafting bot pogram going.

In the past week I managed to group with some ONCE. A nice Conjurer lady, also without linkshell and going through the same problems. We did a behest together and was actually quite fun, but ofcourse with pisspoor reward.

Crafting stuff yourself is just not an option as new player, as it's a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) timesink (not even talking about the horrible gathering system to collect resources, that is even worse of a time sink). Probably one of the reasons why people ask for these idiotic high prices for even lowest level items, eventho no new player will be ever able to afford it (unless resorting to RMT).

It's a HUGE problem for FFXIV, and next to all the existing problems I already mentioned, this is putting off new potential players more than ever!

Your characterization of the FFXIV community is completely false.  The only reason those items are so expensive is prior to 1.18 very few people were still in need of rank 7 items.  Those items can be crafted with materials that would cost you hundreds not thousands of gil, and can be crafted by asking someone (politely) to craft it for you.  I have pathetic crafting skills yet I've done this many times since 1.18 for new players.

Begging is not only ineffective but it is kind of a rude way to go about getting any help.  Next time what you should do is lookup social shells on your server's world forum or search for New player friendly/social/leveling linkshells on ffxivpro.com.   The community is not closed or distant at all, it is extremely friendly.  If anything it sounds like you are just a bit rusty with your MMO social skills, the key is to do some legwork on your end so you are not imposing (or worse purely demanding) of others.  People are more than glad to help, and I'll admit I help even the rudest shouters at times; but it is a poor way to go about it. 

If you must shout (and I understand sometimes there really seems like no better option) how about a simple shout stating that you are a new player and you are looking for someone who can help show you the ropes?  I know I'd certainly rather see that then someone who /shouts a new question every 2 minutes while asking for gear and insulting the community/myself in between demands.  If anyone lands on Selbina you can send me a tell and I'd be glad to explain everything you need to know.

As for your problems grouping, you should be looking for/forming a group in Ul'dah to get the most attention.  You also should make use of the Party Search feature, and yes it would help if you joined a social/leveling shell of which there are many most of which are openly recruiting.

In the Party Search feature do two things, first of all click on search, leave all the criteria blank and press search and see if there are any groups recruiting.  Next you can mark yourself as Seeking Party (under recruit), though I'll admit this feature isn't the best.  If you form a party make sure to use the party search feature to recruit both in town, and later at camp if you still need more/start to lose people.  The party search feature is underused currently due to it not being quite as good as XI's, but that doesn't mean it is not used.

You should not have a problem finding a group.  No one I know (including brand new players) has such a hard time finding a group.  They may complain about it at first simply because they don't know how to go about it, but once they figure it out it is not a problem at all.  You simply need to take some advice which will help you get into groups quickly.

The community is absolutely not unfriendly, it is one of the best communities in any MMO ever.  People are helpful, people are respectful, they are hardly "elitist", and there are very few problem players because people actually care about their character's reputation here (unlike most modern MMO's).  The game itself is kind of unaccessible due to a lack of a really good tutorial (which will likely come after changes are made), but that is why I am posting this extremely long response (again) to hopefully help you out.  Should you want help that is.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by kevjards

i kind of agree with Jerokane..the game does not allow for influx of new players,cost of amour and jewelry are a joke..and the worst part of this is that its the player bases fault .they overprice items.so any though that a new player who has never played ff game before like me are totally out of there depth.when are people going to learn that overpricing stuff is detrement to the game.

i would dearly love to go all out on this game but i can't..there is  no sense of involvement with other people.all i see is people static in Ul'dar.i do hope the future bodes well for this game but i have very serious doubts has to wether or not they can pull it off.

That is one of the major factors that is putting me of this game as well.

For new and low level players the Story Line quests now give the highest gil reward, but it is far from enough to even affort one single piece of armor, weapon or jewelry.

If a new player does both story line quests up to rank 10 and the 8 leave quests he can do in the 36 hour time frame, with luck you end up with like 35.000 gil. Before the patch you could make like 40.000 to 50.000 . Not that much more tho.

Now Ul'Dah has the largest market ward with most stuff for sale.

The cheapest rank 7 or rank 10 item, like a sword or a shield or any other item is like 60.000 to over 100.000 gil !!  Just a single piece!

It's insane and extremely sad at the same time! The whole FF community is basically giving a sense of "elitism" and total disrespect towards new players and don't give them any chance at all to get into the game.

You should not be forced to beg for hours in chat in a desperate attempt to find a nice Linkshell and then start begging in there for someone to make you some armor, a weapon or whatever!

A new player should be able to explore and get into the game on himself, gear up a little and find things out on his own first!

The high ranked, settled players can say "Go join a linkshell! That will fix it!". But it does not, as it's far from easy to find a nice linkshell!  As EVERYONE is very closed in and secretive ingame. No one is basically advertising their linkshell or actively recruiting! NO ONE!  The FF community is very closed and distant! More than any other game I've played.

I myself have tried hard to find a linkshell, but people refuse to respond to tells nor respond to chat AT ALL! Everyone is closed in, on theirselves, hiding within already established linkshells.

It is exactly what you said Kev, in the cities most people are just standing there as a Sell bot, or sitting and have a crafting bot pogram going.

In the past week I managed to group with some ONCE. A nice Conjurer lady, also without linkshell and going through the same problems. We did a behest together and was actually quite fun, but ofcourse with pisspoor reward.

Crafting stuff yourself is just not an option as new player, as it's a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) timesink (not even talking about the horrible gathering system to collect resources, that is even worse of a time sink). Probably one of the reasons why people ask for these idiotic high prices for even lowest level items, eventho no new player will be ever able to afford it (unless resorting to RMT).

It's a HUGE problem for FFXIV, and next to all the existing problems I already mentioned, this is putting off new potential players more than ever!

although i can't blame it all on the player base..a lot of the fault is with the game makers...you get no armour for completing quests ,ffs i am using a lvl 1 item at lvl 11 for a wepon,cos i cannot afford to buy one..this seriously needs adressed if this game is going to entice people to play..because the community are not listening when it comes to prices of items.but in the end it is there choice how they want this game to pan out.on a positive note,the community are very polite and has i say i do like this game.i find it relaxing unlike other mmo's.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

"Begging" was a mere expression to make the point.

What I am saying is that 19 out of 20 people in Ul'Dah are just innactive standing there in Sale mode.

The other handful of people you mostly see are crafting bots.

Then you got a few people actually roaming around (mostly rank 50).

At camps you see sometimes people in your own levels, but flatout ignore you.

I have tried to communicate with people in local chat (in very friendly normal way, like I do in any other MMO) and NO ONE bothers responding. NO ONE!

The LFG tool is horrendous and indeed sertainly not the best. That's why it just doesn't work. Especially not in the lower ranks. (probably and most likely due to all the new players either not knowing about it nor knowing how to use it)

Most of the link shells that recruit in the server forums (hardly any new ones these past months) are top heavy already and mostly looking for max rank people.

There are very few "Social" linkshells and if I finally see one I would like to try, they never got anyone online during my hours (EU primetime). Eventho I am on Besaid, advocated to be the highest populated and best server for english speaking people.

The prices on low level gear and items have always been idiotically high. Always! From the very beginning people set the trend of systematically overpricing EVERYTHING!  Just like they did in FFXI. Don't know why? But it seems to be a typical FF (and asian MMO) thing.

Shard prices are currently screwed up, due to RMT'ers severely undercutting prices with massive stacks of shards, which is now being warned about.

And as new player just doing leves and quests I do not have that many shards to make that amount of gil you mention. You would have to grind ridiculous amounts of mobs to get decent enough stacks to make that kind of amount of gil. By that time you would have outleveled the gear and items you wanted to buy and are faced with even HIGHER prices of the next set of gear, putting you off AGAIN.

i have been at this game for months and i managed to make myself a couple of jewelry items and a chestpeice,and that was it,although i like the idea of the crafting being complex..it seems they spent a lot more time dealing with the crafting than they actually did with the gameplay content.

Don't get me wrong guys.all you peeps as well that play this game know that there is something fundamentally wrong with this game.if it was so good they would charge a sub for it.the game looks amazing but the gameplay is,nt amazing.i want this game to succeed but if you fan bois are totally blind to the problems then this game has no chance..in the end it is you guys who shape this game with your forum comments and such,hoping that the peeps that be take note.

This is not having a dig at the people who play or make this game,this is fact and you know this..the question is guys what are you going to do about the problems?

Are you just going to have a dig at the people who make comment you dont like or are you gonna help correct what is wrong.

i have been at this game for months and i managed to make myself a couple of jewelry items and a chestpeice,and that was it,although i like the idea of the crafting being complex..it seems they spent a lot more time dealing with the crafting than they actually did with the gameplay content.

Don't get me wrong guys.all you peeps as well that play this game know that there is something fundamentally wrong with this game.if it was so good they would charge a sub for it.the game looks amazing but the gameplay is,nt amazing.i want this game to succeed but if you fan bois are totally blind to the problems then this game has no chance..in the end it is you guys who shape this game with your forum comments and such,hoping that the peeps that be take note.

This is not having a dig at the people who play or make this game,this is fact and you know this..the question is guys what are you going to do about the problems?

Are you just going to have a dig at the people who make comment you dont like or are you gonna help correct what is wrong.

The developers are working on revamping the game, like you said there is no sub, but if you have a problem with it you can choose not to play.  Other than that I don't know are you going to listen to people who are telling you how to address your problems with the game or are you just gonna complain?

I told you that quests/guildleves and many other forms of content DO reward with you gear.  I gave you a link to look up specific rewards awarded for sidequests.

What I am saying is that 19 out of 20 people in Ul'Dah are just innactive standing there in Sale mode.

I have tried to communicate with people in local chat (in very friendly normal way, like I do in any other MMO) and NO ONE bothers responding. NO ONE!

Most of the link shells that recruit in the server forums (hardly any new ones these past months) are top heavy already and mostly looking for max rank people.

There are very few "Social" linkshells and if I finally see one I would like to try, they never got anyone online during my hours (EU primetime). Eventho I am on Besaid, advocated to be the highest populated and best server for english speaking people.

The prices on low level gear and items have always been idiotically high. Always! From the very beginning people set the trend of systematically overpricing EVERYTHING!  Just like they did in FFXI. Don't know why? But it seems to be a typical FF (and asian MMO) thing.

Shard prices are currently screwed up, due to RMT'ers severely undercutting prices with massive stacks of shards, which is now being warned about.

And as new player just doing leves and quests I do not have that many shards to make that amount of gil you mention. You would have to grind ridiculous amounts of mobs to get decent enough stacks to make that kind of amount of gil. By that time you would have outleveled the gear and items you wanted to buy and are faced with even HIGHER prices of the next set of gear, putting you off AGAIN.

basically everything you said here is just plain wrong.  I suggest you read my post again for advice, if you have any new or actual questiosn I'd be glad to try to help you though.  I'm not willing to bash my head against the wall arguing with someone who thinks they know everything there is to know about the game after playing what?  A week, and reading a few threads on the forum?

You crticize people for being unhelpful, but you refuse their help/advice all the same.

Originally posted by Murugan

The developers are working on revamping the game, like you said there is no sub, but if you have a problem with it you can choose not to play.  Other than that I don't know are you going to listen to people who are telling you how to address your problems with the game or are you just gonna complain?

I told you that quests/guildleves and many other forms of content DO reward with you gear.  I gave you a link to look up specific rewards awarded for sidequests.

basically everything you said here is just plain wrong.  I suggest you read my post again for advice, if you have any new or actual questiosn I'd be glad to try to help you though.  I'm not willing to bash my head against the wall arguing with someone who thinks they know everything there is to know about the game after playing what?  A week, and reading a few threads on the forum?

You crticize people for being unhelpful, but you refuse their help/advice all the same.

just read your post again and found the link murugan..ty for the link and will give them a try..see if it makes a difference.much appreciated.

just read your post again and found the link murugan..ty for the link and will give them a try..see if it makes a difference.much appreciated.

If not I can give you more advice, if you tell me your class I can let you know some cheap gear alternatives/places to find it without spending a lot of money.  I'm just trying to help those who honestly want to give the game a shot.

BTW you would find the exact same help in the New Player Forum with less hassle from the MMORPG.com peanut gallery, courtesy of FFXIV's wonderful community.

basically thurmaturge lvl 17 atm...still wandering around drybone..one peice of advice would be nice is how can i get to other continents of the game..do i need someone to transport me there or is there another type of travel available..ty in advance.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

There are no other continents to reach. You could take a ferry to the island where Limsa is situated, but that's about as much travelling as you can get.

basically thurmaturge lvl 17 atm...still wandering around drybone..one peice of advice would be nice is how can i get to other continents of the game..do i need someone to transport me there or is there another type of travel available..ty in advance.

If you press M to look at your map, you can see the map menu in the top right corner, click change location and you can access other maps; you can also look at Eorzea and get a picture of which zones connect to what.

Ok so back on your Drybone map, follow that road (the Royal Sunway) to the NE (you can scroll the map with ijkl or left click and drag) at the NE corner you can see it leads into The Black Shroud.  

Once in Black Shroud follow that road north to Gridania.

Or you can take the Royal Sunway West, past ul'dah and camp horizon are the Ferry Docks:

that will take you directly to Limsa Lominsa.

Another option would be to find someone to teleport you, but keep in mind anima isn't cheap (you only get so much of it at a time) so it might be a little difficult to get a teleport there on short moment's notice from just any stranger.  You yourself can teleport to any Aetheryte that you have touched.

Northeast of Black Shroud is Coerthas.

South from Coerthas or West from Black Shroud is Mor Dhona (where the airship crashed:

Originally posted by Naqaj

There are no other continents to reach. You could take a ferry to the island where Limsa is situated, but that's about as much travelling as you can get.

thanks for the info..where is ferry located plz..i,m near ul'dar atm

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368

If you press M to look at your map, you can see the map menu in the top right corner, click change location and you can access other maps; you can also look at Eorzea and get a picture of which zones connect to what.

Ok so back on your Drybone map, follow that road (the Royal Sunway) to the NE (you can scroll the map with ijkl or left click and drag) at the NE corner you can see it leads into The Black Shroud.   Once in Black Shroud follow that road north to Gridania.

Or you can take the Royal Sunway West, past ul'dah and camp horizon are the Ferry Docks that will take you directly to Limsa Lominsa.

Another option would be to find someone to teleport you, but keep in mind anima isn't cheap (you only get so much of it at a time) so it might be a little difficult to get a teleport there on short moment's notice from just any stranger.  You yourself can teleport to any Aetheryte that you have touched.

Northeast of Black Shroud is Coerthas.

South from Coerthas or West from Black Shroud is Mor Dhona (where the airship crashed:

Sweeeeeeet picture. I'm gonna get over there asap.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Naqaj

thanks for the info..where is ferry located plz..i,m near ul'dar atm

You have to walk out of the north gate.... go north to the first camp and from there west towards the docks.

Just watch out along the way towards the west on your way to the docks that you don't accidently run into a pack of aggro high level mobs. Or you end straight back into Ul'Dah again and start your journey again.

I rage logged once, when I had my old character on a different server that started in Limsa, taking the ferry to the desert docks (Which took almost half an hour with waiting and all....boring!!).

Then finally on the docks I followed the road on the map (not knowing back then how bad the map itself was) and suddenly halfway got one shotted by a aggro high level mob out of nowhere.

I had to rezz and end up back in Limsa again!   Time to log off and cool off outside I can tell you. ;)

Traveling is a real pain and a known problem with the game and I cannot fanthom why they wait a whole year, before they finally start adding Chocobos and Airships to the game. Boggles the mind really.

As it would have helped the game greatly, giving better and wider access, opening up the game more for people.

Originally posted by TheStarheart

Ok so back on your Drybone map, follow that road (the Royal Sunway) to the NE (you can scroll the map with ijkl or left click and drag) at the NE corner you can see it leads into The Black Shroud.  

Once in Black Shroud follow that road north to Gridania.

Or you can take the Royal Sunway West, past ul'dah and camp horizon are the Ferry Docks:

that will take you directly to Limsa Lominsa.

North of Gridania

is Coerthas.

South from Coerthas or West from Black Shroud:

is Mor Dhona (where the airship crashed:

Sweeeeeeet picture. I'm gonna get over there asap.

If you ever played FFXI... Getting to Mor Dhona is like the road to Jeuno.  Many of us made it shortly after launch just to check it out, but it is a dangerous journey filled with lots of high level mobs that want to eat you.

Oh but don't worry you'll have to go there as part of the storyline. (not really a spoiler since it is included in the opening intro)

Basically Mor Dhona was kind of a mix between Black Shroud/Coerthas, with that waterfall you see in a lot of pre-release shots and all this great lush landscape but then this battle between the Garleans and the dragoons took place in which that airship/dragon crashed, and the entire zone was basically melted by whatever Garlean magic/technology/dragon fire.  Yoshi said he wants the rest of the zones to be more like Mor Dhona (in terms of the atmosphere) in his revamp of all the zones.