Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what will Rift need to do to stay alive against GW2 & TOR?

2»

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Nekkuro

Rift is already a void game.

Brings nothing new to the table.

Wholly uninteresting and another copy-paste of WoW.

I will probably be raged at, but accept and welcome all flames.

I deserve it for bringing WoW into the discussion at the least.

an uninteresting and void game.. with 2 million players.. yup.. doomed..image

I believe that this "2 million" figure comes from this article:  http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/05/27/trion-is-quiet-but-rift-is-growing-2-million-accounts/.

Seems like it could be legit, but then look at this excerpt:

The most obvious example is the realization that Trion recently saw its 2,000,000th account created on May 23rd. Although not officially announced yet by the game company, it is relatively easy to confirm since a player’s account number is included as part of his forum ID. For example, my forum account is “http://forums.riftgame.com/member.php?593887-Imi”, which indicates that I am the 593,887th Trion account and that I joined the forums on 2-1-2011. Using this approach, one can easily find that, as of May 25th, there were at least 2,050,000 accounts.

Further analysis shows that 18,000 to 20,000 new accounts have been created each day over the past week. If this rate continues, we could realistically expect to see Trion’s 3,000,000th account sometime in late July or early August.

Obviously, many new accounts represent trial-only players or spammers who will never purchase a subscription. It is notable, however, that the rate of new accounts being created has doubled since early March (confirmed using the same technique) and seems to be increasing as word of mouth and good reviews about the game continue to spread.

So they are basically extrapoliting the 2 million figure from Trion (forum) accounts created.  But as you see in the bold text, these account include trial accounts or spammers who will never purchase a subscription.

So basically...it's a fairly bogus figure.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

More open World PVP. imo.

Its what SWTOR and GW2 dont seem to be planning on, but Rift has some legs up on:

-ability to have large 100+ groups without crashing

-mostly open world

-invasion and rift mechanics that could be more made PvP oriented.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Creslin321

So they are basically extrapoliting the 2 million figure from Trion (forum) accounts created.  But as you see in the bold text, these account include trial accounts or spammers who will never purchase a subscription.

So basically...it's a fairly bogus figure.

It also seems to be ignoring cancellations.

Most companies would hold any "announcement" until they hit N active accounts.  But we've seen various companies over the years play a little creative redefinition on what active means, too.  Stockholders like to see big numbers.

Accounts Created can be roughly equivalent to what they used to call Boxes Sold.  Ask the guys over at Age of Conan what correlation that number has to actual live accounts after three months.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Timukas

Much more content, the more original the better. Currently the game is a grinder which almost makes me think that it was designed with f2p perspective. With Trion constantly making things more expensive (like t1 and t2 armor that could be bought with plaques) the grind is never ending. 

This.

Too grindy, boring quests, tiny world, zero replayability.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Moved thread to Rift forum, where it belongs, but there's already an open discussion on the exact same topic here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/321347/How-many-will-stay-.html

Locking this one.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.