Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what will Rift need to do to stay alive against GW2 & TOR?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

what features would rift need to keep it alive vs GW2 & TOR?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by MMOExposed

what features would rift need to keep it alive vs GW2 & TOR?

your assuming they need to do anything other than what they are already doing... instead perhaps the question should be.. what will those two games need to do to try and persuade people away from Rift.. or even.. what will they need to do to stop their own players, when they eventually get them, from migrating to Rift.... image

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

lightsabers image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

Rift is already a void game.

Brings nothing new to the table.

Wholly uninteresting and another copy-paste of WoW.

I will probably be raged at, but accept and welcome all flames.

I deserve it for bringing WoW into the discussion at the least.

Originally posted by Nekkuro

an uninteresting and void game.. with 2 million players.. yup.. doomed..image

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Only played for the first 2 months but...

1) Less linear leveling and slower leveling

2) Bigger world, combined with the above it nothing more than another boring Lobby bgame.. and If I wanted a great lobby game I'd be playing PSO on my Genisis.

3) Revamp the horrible WoWesque crafting system.

4) Player housing always a plus

5) AA ponts ala EQ1 or something similar.

6) Regular GM sponsered events.. EQ1 had these what seemed like all the time.. no idea why they went away aside for MMO companies being cheap.

7) Still want to see some MMO have asychronous dungeons where members dont all have to be on at the same time to complrte them.

meh just a few ideas nothing ground breking...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think a $9.99 subscription would do it.  Lots of industries buy their market share with lower prices.  I'm surprised that MMOs haven't seen a price wars yet.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by grunt187

lightsabers image

Too funny!  But I think another game is trying that already.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Phry

Source?

Freemium and I don't even think that will make it succeed over a long time as the game is to small, shallow, easy and linear, for it to be improved substantially Trion with have to overhaul large parts of the games as a previous poster has outlined but by then everyone will have forgotten about this "world class AAA MMO"

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

Originally posted by Phry

2m players? LOL?

try a tenth of that, champ...

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Originally posted by grunt187

lightsabers image

Too funny!  But I think another game is trying that already.

if you want light sabres then Lego Starwars is that game!  im surprised nobody used the Pokemon argument against Rift either.. considering just about every class can have a pet...  but Rift does what it does.. well.. and its fun.. any game that wants to compete with that.. has to do at least that much.. image

• ScarhavokScarhavok Member Posts: 8

I started playing Rift in beta and I'm still currently active in the game. I know the game isn't anything revolutionary and won't stop people from at least trying out games such as TOR & GW 2. I think Trion need to keep up their communication and content. I haven't had anywhere near the customer service level they present in any other mmo. They need to keep that up as well. Importantly I believe they are moving in the right direction. They admit their game isn't perfect and are out to constantly improve it. Scott's recent post on rift going into the future http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?226550-Summer-Update-RIFT-Into-the-Future makes for an interesting read and one I can't fault and in fact I'm very much looking forward to.

I will definitely be playing TOR at least to try it. I'm extremely excited for GW2! Does that mean I will stop playing Rift if I like either of those 2? No, it doesn't. I currently really enjoy Rift and there are many others that do too. If they keep up what they've managed to achieve in the last few months I'll be staying around.

TOR/GW2 won't give me the class options and flexibility Rift does, nor the world pvp and constant sense of danger. These are aspects Rift is starting to cultivate (first paragraph link) and the ability to play solo or with a RL mate completing 2 man content along with the AA system coming up.

Bottom line, I'm more excited for GW2 then any other game I can remember. TOR I'm looking forward to due to how much I loved the stories of KOTOR/Dragon's age etc + Light Sabres. I just don't think Rift will die out from it. Just my thoughts.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Add replayability.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Phry is playing devil's advocate so you can ignore him or go ahead and make it a discussion.

I don't think Rift will be able to compete. If it was just one of those games coming out, I'd say they'd just need to keep bringing in the events but when you put those two together.... yea... Rift won't make it through.

This is not a game.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Increase the world size, have open world pvp in a way that it matters, and last but not least give players something to do end-game that does not involve chasing gear.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

They can add to the size of the world over time, but if they keep putting content out that's so repetitive, the game will stay on it's slow path of death as people just get too bored.

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

They'll have to keep their players interested in playing for starters. Be it by adding new zones, offering different levelling paths for their alts to play. New zones, higher level cap, better gear, more gear grind. Players seem to be happy doing that. Their soul system could use some serious improvements, but I guess that's no priority.

They got players that grew bored with WoW and Aion and what not. Keeping them interested will be quite the challenge.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Not much can be done. 

SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 would have to fail.  DON'T RULE THIS OUT, IT MAY HAPPEN.  I've seen many anticipated mmo's that pre-release were sure things, only for the public to be blind sided with major flaws at release. 

If SWTOR and Guild Wars fail, then massive amount of content would have to be released for Rift.  Possibly more so than any other mmo to date.

If the time is right, and all the ducks were lined up, along with a lot of luck, then maybe Rift could be a WoW killer.  I'll give it a 1% chance of this happening, but you never know !

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Trion has shown they can be very versatile but against the next wave of games coming out i am very doubtful they will survive for long minus going cash shop F2P because even freemium isnt going to do it..

Playing GW2..

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

1. Multiple endings

2. Hidden characters

3. Easter Egg/Hidden items

4. Race conversions to playable characters every 4-5 months

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

1. Really good expansion with alot of new content that will increase land mass notcieably.

2. Muuuch slower leveling with more interesting quests. Question is should this apply to only future expansion or also revamping existting content.

3. Revamping crafting. More complex and having more impact on game.

4. Some new ideas / activities for game. Bit too generic atm.

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

Pretty much this.

I had gone to the store the other day and saw Rift for like $40, and it came with some dorky companion pet or something.

This, to me, leads me to believe the game isn't doing very well.

From what my friends have told me, the PvP is horrendous and imbalanced, and the game as a whole is just nothing special.

Just another attempt to get some cheap subscriptions from bored WoW players.

By the time GW2 and TOR are out, Rift will be dwindling more than it already is.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I would have like Rift to have more Battlegrounds (PvP) maps.  The quest grind gameplay didn't really appeal to me, so I tried to spend all my time in BGs, but it got old pretty fast because there are only a few maps and one of them (Whitefall) completely sucks.

Also...make the Rift events a bit more varied.  The formula of:  Go to Rfit, Progress through Stages, Seal Rift.  Gets old real fast.

I thought the best thing about Rift hands down was its class system.  But even though I really liked it, the rest of the game just couldn't keep me interested.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Rift doesnt need to survive. just let the TOR and GW2 shower over you. MMO's that arent f2p now will become f2p soon after GW2 comes out, followed by shut down. 

• delith21bdelith21b Member Posts: 9

well those games are not even out yet and i left Rift.  Really don't know what they need to do with that game.  I got to lvl 43 and just couldnt bring myself to log in anymore.  Just seems like theres something missing and i can't quite put my finger on it.

This discussion has been closed.