Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Razor Hydra vs Mouse/KB? Need some feedback before purchase.

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I've been following this Hydra motion controller for a little while now.

I'm about to sink 130 bones into one but I need to ask.

I know the tech is pretty awesome with the way this thing tracks but is it as precise as a mouse? for Fps aiming?

I don't know if this thing would replace my m&kb for the majority of my gaming.

Do any of you guys own one that can give me some feedback?

Im watching youtube videos now and it doesnt look like a bunch of fail like the console motion controllers.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Ive had my hydra for a week and I had an experience thread somewhere here...

But anyways! Its really good!

A few things you should note however is that:

1. I have never been able to get it to work on alaplaya games (loco and s4) even if I made a huge 500ish line configuration code to make everything perfect for me.  I can prolly move some of it when I do find a game I wanna play with that config thoguh.

2. There is no GUI for altering the controls yet.  You have to follow their MCE code structure to configure unsupported games but people in the forums help out quite a bit.

3. Your arms will get tired while playing.  I can really only play borderlands for around a straight hour because Ill get kinda tired.

4. There are 2 ways you can configure the actions (such as pulling back to reload) in the hydra.  Either measured by directional velocity, or tilting by degrees.  Most games use tilting so you cant really lay on the couch sideways unless you either reconfigure the code for that game or just turn it into velocity commands.

5. Setting up for the first time may be confusing.

6. It will take some getting used to(around 10 hours fps gameplay) just to get your hydra using skills on par with the mouse and keyboard.

Anyways! Theyre releasing the GUi for keybindings and such soon so you wont have to go into xml coding.

Also, I am holding the hydra in a very relaxed/ casual way and Im actually nearly as good at it as with the mouse and kb.  It takes a while to get used to pressing a button to stop the mouse movement and emulate what happens when you lift the mouse off the surface but aside from that its fine.  You also might have to tweak  the sensitivity settings if you have shaky hands! :O

Umm..What else...Welll...It works awesome for emulators I can tell yo uthat right now.  You can remove all teh motion control aspects for the mouse and like...just use it like a controller with those random gesture thingies like the wii without using the pointer if you reallyy got shaky hands o.o

the forums are here too btww

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**