Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Selling Older Gaming Laptops

BaconJA89BaconJA89 Member Posts: 118

Anyone know a good place to sell old gaming laptops?  The obvious choice is ebay, but older quality gaming laptops seem to get lost in the crowd and sell for pretty low amounts.  

I'm looking to sell:

1) Gateway 6860FX (17" screen, has 4GB RAM and a 8800GTS Nvidia card)

2) Asus 1201N (11.6" netbook, 2GB RAM, ION graphics and dual core CPU capable of playing most games on med/low)

So anyone know a good non ebay place to sell these?  Thanks.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The reason that older gaming laptops like your Gateway don't sell for much is that they aren't worth much.  It's too much power for not enough performance to justify the power consumption.  Gaming laptops tend to have short useful lifetimes, and if you buy something that is already 3-4 years old, it's living on borrowed time the day you buy it.

Your Asus isn't a gaming laptop and never was.  Even if you could take it back in time five years, it wouldn't have been a gaming laptop then, either.  Intel's Atom architecture is so obsolete that their upcoming Cedar Trail Atom is already obsolete, and it hasn't even launched yet.  Older Atom-based systems are just that much worse.  The only reason anyone buys an Atom-based netbook is not knowing any better, so that's your target market if you want to find someone to take it off your hands.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The biggest profit would probably be posting an add on a bulletin board out at your local university, and hoping some sucker buys it for class.

Other than that, Ebay/Craigslist is your best bet.

Laptops are like sports cars, they depreciate fast and after a couple of years are only worth a fraction of their original sticker price. Well, all computers are like that really, you can thank Moore's Law, but laptops even more so because they see many more problems as they age - they don't have nearly the longevity as a desktop does, mostly because they have all that heat trapped in that small form factor, and they are portable, so they get beat up a lot being drug from place to place.

At our company, we don't even try to sell old laptops. We pull the hard drive and then donate them to schools and libraries. We get more money from the tax deduction of the donation than we do from trying to sell them. And as a private citizen, you get to deduct the full original retail value, corporations only get to deduct the "fair current value".

I'd even debate your statement "Older quality gaming laptops", and perhaps even just "quality gaming laptops". I don't think there was ever really such a thing.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I have an alienware mx11 that i bought as a budget lappy in november.

Nvidia GT335m 1 gig, 4 gigs ram, 1.7gig Core2duo & 150gig HD. 1366x768 Resolution.

im sure u can get it for like $300 on the alienware site i know thats what im unloading it off for.

Played Rift on default medium, plays everyone of my steam games besides the most bleeding edge FPS games like Metro 2033, bulletstorm & Crysis 2 on medium high (those can be played on default low with textures on medium.

Now that im running a new crossfire HD 6970 system with 16 gigs of ram and the Phenom x6 1100T Black with everything OC'd waiting for the new AMd chip.  It's just sitting there. But i would imagine it would be good for what u want it for. check their site.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing