Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my god star wars old republic voice actors insane!!!

Bioware says there are over 900 voice actors, O MY GOSH its soo expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

900 or over 9000!! dose not matter they dont have Steve Blum!

Name: STEVE BLUM

DUTY:? STEEVEEE BLUMM!!!

Mod Edit . ah well its appair he have been doing voice for 2 NPC ingame lol

well Glad he did GW2 and  SWTOR :P 2 game with good voice actors :)

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

I'm pretty sure there's actually over 9000 voice actors.

EDIT: You beat me to it you jerk.

• FurorFuror Member Posts: 374

are you sure? HOW EXPENSIVE is swtor??? My jaw dropped after hearing that.

Is this the most expensive MMORPG in the world????

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

What a waste... no one is going to listen to the voice overs and gawk over how "cool" they are. It's pointless IMO. I'm STILL waiting for this game to show me some promise... something to keep me interested. I still have yet to see it so I'm not gonna cause any false hype over a game that's probably going to be a huge upset to tons of people.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by Furor

are you sure? HOW EXPENSIVE is swtor??? My jaw dropped after hearing that.

Is this the most expensive MMORPG in the world????

the rumored amount spent on development was 100 million..

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Konner920

<>

It's going to be like many ultra expensive and flashy blockbuster movies in that sense. Super expensive, very gorgeous with high production value, mindless and shallow gameplay, with the focus of the content of the game on how polished they can make everything rather than developing solid, long lasting, enjoyable, strategic, and deep gameplay. 

MMORPG vets that aren't wearing fanboy armor...get ready to be disappointed. 

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by Jimmac

<>

It's going to be like many ultra expensive and flashy blockbuster movies in that sense. Super expensive, very gorgeous with high production value, mindless and shallow gameplay, with the focus of the content of the game on how polished they can make everything rather than developing solid, long lasting, enjoyable, strategic, and deep gameplay. 

It's just gonna be another quest grinder, but with a more immersive story. But I can tell the gameplay sucks already.. Example: "I'm going to need you to go kill five of (target)" < Picture your quests that you'd read. Pretty much being said to you. That's pretty much what the old republic is.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I believe Tabula Rasa was is the most expensive MMORPG to date. I don't think development cost really has anything to do with the quality of a game.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kalarenkalaren Member Posts: 83
    Pretty sure Steve Blum is the male bounty hunter voice btw. So he does a pretty big chunk of dialog.
  • MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

(snips subjective bla stuff)

It's just gonna be another quest grinder, but with a more immersive story. But I can tell the gameplay sucks already.. Example: "I'm going to need you to go kill five of (target)" < Picture your quests that you'd read. Pretty much being said to you. That's pretty much what the old republic is.

Meh, whatever, haters gonna hate, I guess, plus some MMO vets have grown that burntout or jaded that they have lost the ability to grasp that other gamers can enjoy things that they can't (or maybe those people never had that ability, and only now it becomes blatantly obvious) image

Different tastes and preferences, you know. The world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things.

For those who currently have to fight vomiting whenever they spend an hour in a WoW styled themepark a la WoW, LotrO, Aion, Rift, etc, I'd suggest avoiding SWTOR, in fact, I'd even suggest avoiding all threads related to SWTOR: this is obviously not the game you're looking for, so actually you're spending a lot of time and attention to things you hate/dislike image

As for the quests, yep, you'll also have quests where you have to kill 10 x of stuff, next to quests where you have to decide whether to kill a father who's trying to protect his son or quell a mutiny. People who have grown a rabid aversion to any hint towards traditional MMO questing should consider whether the current MMO market is really a place for them, but who knows, maybe that some of the other upcoming MMO's can avoid their nausea.

As for the gameplay, the vast majority who actually played the game, said they enjoyed it. But of course, you'll always have people that won't enjoy it, especially if they're playing a game of a category they don't like much.

Originally posted by TGSOL

I'm pretty sure there's actually over 9000 voice actors.

Regarding the 900 actors/actresses (I think the 9000 number was for the number of NPC's that will get lines), those aren't of course all full time jobs, the majority will most likely have been asked for a day or a few hours' work.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I always wonder were that mythical game is you dont have any Kill xx or go to xx quest are in. EvE,SWG,DaoC,UO.Meridan,War,AoC,STO,CO..euh..well lets do the list faster.

People tend to forget that its never bin the quest itself that make the game, its how you are drawn into them en how you "solve" them. 

Tho I supose most of the haters on the forums are just staying in-character being all darkside trying to provoke the lighsiders into their traps :) darn newb roleplayers.. 

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Hey Vegeta, what does a scouter say about his power level?

ITS OVER NINE THOOOOOUUUUUSANDDDDDD!!!!!!

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Bioware says there are over 900 voice actors, O MY GOSH its soo expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Erickson, mentioned this, I believe he said the 900 were over the three languages - Was the two others Spanish and... Forgot the other one.

But that would mean 300 per language, which is actually less than I expected.

But if you take this into account;

1) A voice actor generally fills out many different characters. If you look at Mass Effect/KOTOR/Dragon Age you can see many actors doing many multiple roles.

2) All the non-human races, it probably doesn't matter. Jawa speak is probably from one source actor, but tweaked in many different high pitched variations, and that would work for all three languages. Would be freaky if a spanish jawa just talked spanish;)

3) Quality first. Those 900 actors. Think about for a second how many lines of dialogue there are, and the variations depending on class, race, gender, choices! think about the different wording branches every companion has, with regards to light/dark side!?

I am personally really interested in seeing if they can keep up with voice overs post release. They basically would have to record new dialogue on a weekly basis... But that depends on how frequently they plan to release new content. Maybe they will choose to pack less frequently but in bigger updates (3-4 big content updates every year...?) so they have time to do their voice overs and synch them the right way!?

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Palebane

I believe Tabula Rasa was is the most expensive MMORPG to date. I don't think development cost really has anything to do with the quality of a game.

Granted . . . 100%.  That is why I am glad BioWare is making this game.  They have a MUCH better track record.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

300 per language? Then they took all the actors in Spain for spanish LOL

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by Palebane

Granted . . . 100%.  That is why I am glad BioWare is making this game.  They have a MUCH better track record.

agreed it doesn't, though good ole TR has a special case.

The reason is because part way through they basically scraped the game and reworked it all over again, so it's not like the entire cost of the game went into the end product, a good portion of it went into the version of the game that never saw daylight.

Still doesn't mean more money means better quality but it's a tiny bit different in this case because the entire cost they are saying went into the game version that we (hopefully, no certainties till it's out) will see, no stopping half way through and making an entirely new version of the game. TR cost was basically the cost for two games not one.

Voice actors can be expensive especially high quality ones but they can really improve a games feel and in ToR case bad Voice actors for primary roles like player character can nearly kill the game. It's a risk to be sure, but you don't get great by not taking any risks :)

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

MATT DAMON! MATT DAMON! MATTTT DAMMMMON!

They should so hire that guy too.

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by tkoreaper

What a waste... no one is going to listen to the voice overs and gawk over how "cool" they are. It's pointless IMO. I'm STILL waiting for this game to show me some promise... something to keep me interested. I still have yet to see it so I'm not gonna cause any false hype over a game that's probably going to be a huge upset to tons of people.

Too bad for you. Just because you don't like voiceovers doesn't mean the rest of the world agrees with you. In fact, why would anyone play the game if they didn't want to hear the voice overs?... {mod edit}

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Williac

Originally posted by tkoreaper

Too bad for you. Just because you don't like voiceovers doesn't mean the rest of the world agrees with you. In fact, why would anyone play the game if they didn't want to hear the voice overs?...  {mod edit}

I agree, it seems odd to me if people are so as Tkoreaper suggest that no-one is oging to listen to VO that nearly all the SPG have games completely VO, Infamous 2, oblivion, fall out (both new vegas and 3) Heck i think even the FFs (not the MMOs) are voiced over now (even if some of them are cringe worthy). In fact i think it's coming to the point where it's odd if your game doesn't have it and requires you to read the text.

If it was as bad as Tkoreaper is suggesting and noone wants to listen to Voice overs then i'm confused why nearly every studio and most of the MMOs being released now are featuring this voice over that noone wants.  Seems an odd thing to put work into if noone wants it.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• HyperbeamHyperbeam Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by nyxium

MATT DAMON! MATT DAMON! MATTTT DAMMMMON!

They should so hire that guy too.

Matt Damons pretty expensive dude, he's fees gone sky high since Team America was such a hit...

OR MAYBE?!

Thats where all the budgets for SWTOR has gone, on Matt Damon! I can just imagine it now:

PlayercharacterJK: 'So now we finally meet, Dark Emperor, why bring such war and misery to the galaxy?

Dark Emperor of the Sith: MATT DAMON!

PlayercharacterJK: 'I see, such a fiendishly evil and diabolical plan...I must stop you to bring balance to the galaxy!

PlayercharacterJK leaps at Dark Emperor with he's lightsaber drawn

Dark Emperor cast Force Awesomesauce.  PlayerCharacterJK dies.

Dark Emperor of the Sith: MATTTT DAMMMMMOOOONNNN!!!!!!! 

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Who cares? Does it improve the game a single jot? Nope.

Who cares.

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

<>

nice i like the negative effect you give a game thats not even out yet :). shows me how you flame video games ^_^ with out first playing it.

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Saorlan

Who cares? Does it improve the game a single jot? Nope.

Who cares.

well its the first all voiced mmo with out reading so yeah....... and the crafting system is fun dont need to go around farming stuff also  the partners you get to craft stuff for you and send them out on missions plus they have side storys..... so yeah this game going to be awsome if you dont like it dont buy it :)

• Originally posted by Kalfer

When Erickson, mentioned this, I believe he said the 900 were over the three languages - Was the two others Spanish and... Forgot the other one.

But that would mean 300 per language, which is actually less than I expected.

But if you take this into account;

1) A voice actor generally fills out many different characters. If you look at Mass Effect/KOTOR/Dragon Age you can see many actors doing many multiple roles.

2) All the non-human races, it probably doesn't matter. Jawa speak is probably from one source actor, but tweaked in many different high pitched variations, and that would work for all three languages. Would be freaky if a spanish jawa just talked spanish;)

3) Quality first. Those 900 actors. Think about for a second how many lines of dialogue there are, and the variations depending on class, race, gender, choices! think about the different wording branches every companion has, with regards to light/dark side!?

I am personally really interested in seeing if they can keep up with voice overs post release. They basically would have to record new dialogue on a weekly basis... But that depends on how frequently they plan to release new content. Maybe they will choose to pack less frequently but in bigger updates (3-4 big content updates every year...?) so they have time to do their voice overs and synch them the right way!?

yea the recent community q&a said its 900 voice actors across the english, french, and german versions

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

You know, I always that Bioware would secretly rather make movies then games ;)