Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the plain truth about lotro from 2nd to live beta to todays date

2»

Comments

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

Dont forget the store lol. BUY NOW BUY NOW!!  yeah i was discussing this issue with the raid leader i go to do od with now and its 12 man atm and we cant even get 12 people 1/2 the time for raids and the new raid is 24 with optional 12 player mode but not sure if that true yet. Successful games dont go f2p agreed. Most people ive spoken to are going to give swtor a try as i am myself. I just wish they would relax with the store oh well.

The other issue about rehashing is do you notice mirkwood and endenwaith are just other areas mixed together lol. Like when you go to endenwaith its just evendim without water and mirkwood is just a burnt trollshaws.

od isnt rehashed but with the new xpac most people dont bother to do od and those who do od do it for first ages and not the armor lol.

Did you know in ROI suposedly there putting a creep store where creeps (monster players) can buy all thier maps and skills. Theyll still have to rank to open them up but they can buy thier skills lol.

Originally posted by gordiflu

Originally posted by ormstunga

The reoccuring theme seems to be f2p sucks, cant say I'm surprised ;)

Every single game I know that has gone from P2P to F2P is a game that was going down. This applies to Lotro too. I was raid leader in a very active guild when I left, a bit before the F2P change, and I used to talk to many other guild leaders, and they all agreed on one thing: getting guild events going was getting harder and harder becouse players were cancelling subscriptions like crazy.

Turbine went F2P on DDO becouse it failed big time, but they did not do the same with Lotro then. They did it later, when the game started failing too.

Now the game has lots more players. Good for those who joined later and those who didn't leave. But you can't deny that new content is coming out way way slower than it used to be when lvl cap was 50. Wth, most of the dungeons you are running now at the new level cap are just rescaled old lvl 50 instances, that says it all.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I dont quite understand what the op is griping about of course I am a casual player and I dont play the PVP monster play,, to me Lord of the rings is not a player vs player game and never should be it is all about Lore.

One thing I do have to bitch about LOL is the hitching , I have played since the day it came out and their has been hitching, since then i have bought 2 new computers and still hitching, One suggestion is to turn off quest helper and that does help a bit but why has'nt turbine fixed that yet?  I think like Vanguard this game would be better served with an solid state hd, The tweaks I have seen dont seem to do much unless anyone has any suggestions

• I enjoy the game. I FEEL like the community cares about people, with a few rotten apples but we mash it up and it still comes out nice. The quality of the storyline is great. It IS too bad that the overall mmorpg community of all games is f*cked up and that makes it hard for even LotRO players to see the quality of the game.

I don't give a shit that there are a few bugs because the game is big. If you're in this huge game stuck on a minor bug you're playing gollem going for his shiny. Because the underlying reason is that you're having an ego and want something for yourself and look at a few minor details to get what you want. I'd say go back to your mum and get it because you can't move hundreds of thousands to millions of players like this.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I'm a lifer and  so I'm getting a  kick out of this thread ...

I've been logging in once a month just for the TP's.  I was bummed about the way they reduced the LI relic max level because at this point some people have relics that noone else in game can ever achieve. 

My main issues are the miniscule expansions they seem content to release and their disinterest in improving PvMP.  Another serious issue I have is the fact that they allowed many players to believe that the SoM would be available in store only for points.   But then again, Turbine cancelled Asherons Call 2 shortly after getting their players to buy an expansion.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

For me LoTRo went wrong when they did moria, the whole joy of shadows of angmar was that you were only slightly following frodo and the others. Instead you were keeping the ring wraiths, the eye, and everyone else busy so the little guy could truck on with the ring. When they announced an expansion I was expecting more of the same, to me the game should have went around the movies and the linked up with them only after major events. Moria would have been much better as a far later expansion. By far later I mean post golom getting crotch kicked into mount doom.

Instead they added in an entire section of middle earth that was underground and barely usable, lothlorien wasn't even in the game at the expansion launch. To be honest when turbine did this I knew the game was on borrowed time. With so much potential to play with they took the wrong way with it.

• Meztli67Meztli67 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by starwarsnut

To OP.

Since you clearily dislike the f2p status and turbine store, what is stopping you to buy a subscribtion and get vip status?

I have been around since day 1, and experince the decline and raise. No doubt LotRO have more players today than the months prior the F2P launch. Turbine is a company and as such survive by earning money. I do not understand why anyone would beleive they should get every thing for free?

At least Turbine give the players the option to either play with f2p/premium status or get a subscribtion.

Friskyttarna
    A Swedish LotRO kinship
    Evernight EU
    http://friskyttarna.eu

Who said i was f2p? lol i been subbed since launch. I recently cancelled 2 of my accounts due to what i posted. I dont like how f2p people are ripped off and there buy now attitude. Turbine screwed up with there lifetime subs so many people bought lifetimes that they lost more money then they gained. They were to scared to charge for there product. They spent so much time and money getting people into the game while not making a profit and quite frankly is why they almost went bankrupt. Wb has ruined lotro. Its just a pretend to be freebie paradise and lets hit these naive stool pigeons for everything they have.

I saw this guy yesterday who actually went sub from f2p and he was really mad and letting turbine and the gm have it in glff and before i could send him a tell he was banned lol. I would have liked that guy to post on here.

If it werent for the fact that my raid leader friend plays and I operate a pvp vent I would have cancelled all my accounts and when swtor hits ill be free of the "ring"

It really is sad to think about what lotro could have been. When your in lotro you have no idea theres even a war going on its all roses and pretending everythings fine lol. Lotr is about a war going on not about peaceful settings festivals and hardcore rp events. Sometimes i think im playing the sims middle earth....

I see some people dont care about bugs well when your doing a raid and its time to loot/roll for armor and the chest bugs out and the gm tells you just redo the whole raid youll care then im sure lol. Ive seen this happen a lot and seen it first hand myself 3 times.

Originally posted by Meztli67

To OP.

Since you clearily dislike the f2p status and turbine store, what is stopping you to buy a subscribtion and get vip status?

I have been around since day 1, and experince the decline and raise. No doubt LotRO have more players today than the months prior the F2P launch. Turbine is a company and as such survive by earning money. I do not understand why anyone would beleive they should get every thing for free?

At least Turbine give the players the option to either play with f2p/premium status or get a subscribtion.

• Looking at the complaints here, they are really all minor things and all things that you need to accept from pretty much any game. There may be another reason why you quit a game, because the whining here is beyond my belief that they are justified for someone's action.

THIS GAME STILL STANDS OUT WITH ITS GRAPHICS, AWESOME COMMUNITY AND DEVS THAT PUT IN QUALITY GAMEPLAY AND SUFFICIENT BALANCE OVERALL.

Get it?

Its not a minor thing when you spend an hour or more doing a raid and a loot chest bugs out numerous times and no one  gets loot or anything and the gm says to just re do the raid. That is not a minor thing for anyone. I dont have to accept that or any of the other nonsense from idiot devs. If they have time to spend coding a useless tree with a bird into the ettenmoors or a horseshoe as a reward that does nothing for you as a player or the game itself then they could do what thier payed for and fix bugged chests for people doing raids.

I have over 12 people who think thats a justifible whine as you call it. Especially when the gm threatens to ban all of us or speaking about it in glff. An issue they caused and want to threaten a ban for letting people know the truth. Funny thing is the gm ended up leaving glff when a lot of people were saying that happened to them before as well and why dont they fix it lol. This is why i cancelled 2 of my 3 accounts. Those idiot devs have time to blow on a tree but cant fix an important issue such as chest loot? The gms reaction to the ticket is what was beyond belief.

Originally posted by Powermike

Looking at the complaints here, they are really all minor things and all things that you need to accept from pretty much any game. There may be another reason why you quit a game, because the whining here is beyond my belief that they are justified for someone's action.

THIS GAME STILL STANDS OUT WITH ITS GRAPHICS, AWESOME COMMUNITY AND DEVS THAT PUT IN QUALITY GAMEPLAY AND SUFFICIENT BALANCE OVERALL.

Get it?

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Starwarsnut, I'm having a really hard time following your posts due to the odd way you are quoting other people.  So I'm just going to respond to everything here.

F2P people have to spend money if they want more than what's offered by the free content.  That's the whole point.  If you want more than free, it costs money.  Not sure why that's a problem for you considering you are a subscriber?

PvMP has always been broken, if you were really in beta you would know that that part of the game was just thrown in right before release to apease all of the people complaining that there was no PvP.  LOTRO was never a PvP game.

If you don't like the expansion content, don't buy the expansions.

The Turbine Store is a little invasive for subscribers, I agree with you there, but I could care less what they sell in the store.  It doesn't affect me in any way how other people want to spend their money in a PvE game.

I've been playing LOTRO since closed beta and I have never had any graphical lag/stuttering issues.  When F2P first went live I did have network lag due to all of the people being on, but never any visual issues on any of the 4 completely different computers I've played the game on.  I'm only pointing this out that not everyone has this problem and is more likely due to a problem on the user end rather than the game.

You are not lying but you are presenting your opinions as truth, which is not much better than lying.

You keep going back and complaining about the store and that you have the option to "Buy it now".  I understand you don't like the store because people can buy potions that they can use in PvMP.  I really can't comment on this, because LOTRO is such a horrible PVP game in the first place, I don't really see how this can be such a big deal for you.  Other than that, I simply do not understand why you have such a big problem with how other people spend their money.

Turbine was going F2P long before WB came into the picture.

You have no idea the financial situation Turbine/LOTRO was in before the F2P release and future WB buyout.  Saying they were almost bankrupt is not based on any factual information.

It's funny that you say LOTRO is like the sims middle earth considering that's exactly what the game was supposed to be before WoW was released and Turbine changed their entire game design.

"Especially when the gm threatens to ban all of us or speaking about it in glff"  Why do I have a hard time believing you were simply speaking about it, and not bitching about it.  I had this happen to my raid group once, were were friendly and polite with the GM that came and he repopped a new chest and made sure we could loot it.  I can only guess why the GM wouldn't have helped you in the same way.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

ya know i just went onto LOTRO to play a little , I hadnt played in about 8 weeks and it just felt so blah to me from the terrible icons that you cant read to the slow combat, I uninstalled and might try something new like Gods and Heroes which may be good since I am a casual player

I dont have a problem with how people spend thier money. Its not opiniion when when i do a raid and the loot chest bugs out. They were not going f2p all along lol. Wb did that to make money back nothing more. Thats not opinion thats fact http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328522-Turbine-Acquired-by-Warner-Bros.! they aquired atari and other bankrupt games at the bottom youll see as well. Wb has been buying quite a lot of games in the last 2 years. Im surprised they didnt get bioware from ea. not that Ea is any better sigh

Whether or not you pvp those people are paying just the same and are entitled to enjoy the pvp. Having your character bugged for 4 years and going is not acceptable. Yes pvp was put in at last minute regardless those are paying customers

It was not meant to be the sims I been here since the beta to. In the last 2 years theyve become more about hardcore rp and catering to that and putting the war as a background.

I dont have a problem with f2p I have a problem with people bieng ripped off and thats exactly what it is. If someone likes f2p shrug so be it. I talk to f2p all the time and tell them how there bieng ripped off in game and like i said that guy in glff who raged after subbing.

Like i said if the dev's have time to spend on "coding" a worthless tree that does nothing and a horse shoe as a reward that does nothing they have time to fix bugged loot chests and bugged warleaders. Those 2 are facts as well

horse shoe reward (Dev time well spent) http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?354546-Elebrandir-s-Horseshoe-What-the-devil-does-it-do

new ettenmoors tree http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?387447-New-tree-and-Bob-the-Bird

Im not buying rise of the turbine store.

Originally posted by Dameonk

Starwarsnut, I'm having a really hard time following your posts due to the odd way you are quoting other people.  So I'm just going to respond to everything here.

F2P people have to spend money if they want more than what's offered by the free content.  That's the whole point.  If you want more than free, it costs money.  Not sure why that's a problem for you considering you are a subscriber?

PvMP has always been broken, if you were really in beta you would know that that part of the game was just thrown in right before release to apease all of the people complaining that there was no PvP.  LOTRO was never a PvP game.

If you don't like the expansion content, don't buy the expansions.

The Turbine Store is a little invasive for subscribers, I agree with you there, but I could care less what they sell in the store.  It doesn't affect me in any way how other people want to spend their money in a PvE game.

I've been playing LOTRO since closed beta and I have never had any graphical lag/stuttering issues.  When F2P first went live I did have network lag due to all of the people being on, but never any visual issues on any of the 4 completely different computers I've played the game on.  I'm only pointing this out that not everyone has this problem and is more likely due to a problem on the user end rather than the game.

You are not lying but you are presenting your opinions as truth, which is not much better than lying.

You keep going back and complaining about the store and that you have the option to "Buy it now".  I understand you don't like the store because people can buy potions that they can use in PvMP.  I really can't comment on this, because LOTRO is such a horrible PVP game in the first place, I don't really see how this can be such a big deal for you.  Other than that, I simply do not understand why you have such a big problem with how other people spend their money.

Turbine was going F2P long before WB came into the picture.

You have no idea the financial situation Turbine/LOTRO was in before the F2P release and future WB buyout.  Saying they were almost bankrupt is not based on any factual information.

It's funny that you say LOTRO is like the sims middle earth considering that's exactly what the game was supposed to be before WoW was released and Turbine changed their entire game design.

"Especially when the gm threatens to ban all of us or speaking about it in glff"  Why do I have a hard time believing you were simply speaking about it, and not bitching about it.  I had this happen to my raid group once, were were friendly and polite with the GM that came and he repopped a new chest and made sure we could loot it.  I can only guess why the GM wouldn't have helped you in the same way.

• Jellyf1shJellyf1sh Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I'm a lifer and  so I'm getting a  kick out of this thread ...

Amen to that!

I don't see what the big issue is. If the OP really is a Starwarsnut, then SWTOR will be out soon - Problem solved!

As for me, i'm off to get some more popcorn!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I would say if you don't like it anymore, stop playing.  That way those of us F2P ppl who enjoy it (and the VIP who still enjoy it) can either choose to spend our money or not while we're enjoying it.  There are many other games out there to play.  If you don't like one, why waste your time playing it?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

I cant exactly play star wars when its not out yet can I? lol. It wont be so enjoyable for you when the gm tells you to go do your   raid again when the loot chest bugs out lol. Yeah im sure the lifer is getting a kick out this thread especially after they go f2p and he blew 200 bucks lol. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Yeah im sure the lifer is getting a kick out this thread especially after they go f2p and he blew 200 bucks lol. 

You dont' know what you are talking about.

I was there in closed beta and if "today" they offered a lifetime membership, I'd buy it.

Why? Because you really aren't taking the time ti compare what the lifetime membership actually gives you.

It gives you access to all the content, all the classes and a larger amount of monthly turbine points. They still buy expansions though.

A free to play player has to a la carte a lot of the content and in  the end, unless they grind out a lot of deeds, it will be more expensive.

Or, they could just grind out those deeds and earn their turbine points but it will take a lot longer.

But all some people see is "I paid money up front and now a f2p player can enter the game without playing".

Which isn't even the whole puzzle.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Looking to buy lotro well heres the facts from beta to current date. This is not my "Opinion" as most have stated

Graphics 10 (One thing lotro does have is awesome graphics)

servers 6 (Lag is up and down depending on area your in. PVP zone has the worst lag)

Gm's 5 ( Gm's response time are decent. THey tend to close more tickets then they respond to now a days )

Character creation 8 ( not bad could use some refinement )

Grinding 1 ( Need to grind your character. Then grind armor. Then grind your weapon up)

Shadows of angmar (1-50) original launch

Shadows of angmar was the most fun and best memories I have of lotro.Launch was solid and good

raids.

rift of nazgursh introduced (Balrog fight 24 man raid)

This to date is still the best raid as far as im concerned. It was fun and u could get the raid pieces in a deent amount of time. Was good times then

Pvp

Free peoples= You human/dwarf/hobbit/elf classes

Monster players= Orcs/reavers/spiders/wargs

Free peoples pvp= the free peoples have to get to lvl cap and get gear to come out the moors.

Free peoples rank= Means nothing theres no difference between a rank 0-15 freep pvp person

Monster players pvp= Monster players star out at lvl cap (no leveling)

monster player rank= Means new skills traits

Stars/rating (pvp)

This is for epeens mostly and people thinking thier good. It doesnt do anything positive but make people on both sides worry over stars and not enjoy the game due to people targeting them. Turbine then removed the stars putting them on forums only.

Rank farming

People desperate to rank buying dual accounts and bringing thier freep/creep depending on which toon needs the rank and killing thier own other toon to give rank to thier main toon that needs the rank.

Boxing

Not so much of an issue outside the moors (pvp) zone. In pvp zone its complete garbage for both sides and like most companies turbine has no ethics on this issue.

Mines of moria (50-60)

Mines of moria was decent introduced trait lines and first age weapons (first age weapons highest dps weapons)

Legendary weapons introduced grind your weapon and break/deconstruct crappy ones for runes/relics u can put on weapons. You could not choose what legacies to put on weapons yet I.E crit chance multiplier etc it was luck of the draw to get a weapon with everything u want on it.

Watcher raid introduced

Was decent had to get full moria gear set to do the raids though. Moria armor sets introduced acid resist needed for most the raids.

Pvmp Free peoples were insanely over powered at launch.

Blackarrow (Monster player version of hunter/archer class) got a ridiculous fire dot that made the majority of creep monster players play a ba class to do nothing but spam a fire dot with next to no cooldown.

Suposed new pvp map never made into moria.

Siege of mirkwood (LVL 60-65)

Huge letdown rushed out to fast. You dont even get to see all of mirkwood only small portion of it. Was the same as other other 2 expansions not much to say really but personally i expected lot more

Dol guldur raids

Well these werent available at first to most due to the gating of armor and radiance introduced. Dol guldur was decent raids but overall just rehashed mobs and no witch king raid or even an appearance by the witch king (not a lore whore so i dont know if were supose to see the witch king or not accurate to lore?)

Turbine sold to wb

WB bought out turbine and the first thing to be introduced was the turbine store. With the store came a "buy now" attitude so if you didnt feel like doing content for certain items you can just go and "buy now" that item. You cant buy armor or things like that just pots weapon scrolls

The turbine team claimed the store doesnt offer advantage just convience. Well that is a flat out lie how so you ask? Well if some doesnt have money to buy turbine points and has to grind weapons/scrolls/relics compared to someone who does thats an advantage. They sell morale pots that are on a different timer then regular morale pots that u can buy from the store. So if your in a fight especially the moors (moors=pvp zone) and you have store bought pots u can use those when your other pots are down and the other person who cant buy those pots is screwed giving the person who has the store pots advantage. Theres more examples i can give to but i should point out that u get 500 turbine points a month which is meh considering what items cost.

"Buy now"

I am currently a subscribed member and when i go to log in im spammed with loading screens to buy items and the store is constanly there in your face if your doing deeds they make the "buy now" icon big on the deed section and more so other places.The store is now selling more and more things that you used to have to earn in game. The monster players (pvp) will be getting a store soon where they can buy there quest items that most creeps had to earn the hard way.

F2P  (free to play)

Most f2p people are lvl 50 not all but most commonly f2p people are. I feel bad for the f2p people they are really screwed over. I cant suggest subscribing either to lol. I will say that f2p people are ridiculously screwed in every aspect.I would not suggest f2p to anyone.You have to buy/spend points to get traits opened up and you have to buy stable acces to go places charged up the butt. As you can see on here the f2p people are upset that im saying this. If you like f2p that fine but in the long run your going to pay 3 times as much as a sub thats the whole point of f2p to make u sub.

PVMP (player vs monster player)

Pvp has always been a mess and continues to be a mess.Turbine refuses to do much to the moors (moors=pvp zone)

Balance will never happen untill turbine makes monster players clones of thier freep side class.

So far this has been what the devs have been doing to try to make balance

1.Make one side overpowered each book/updates causing more problems then it fixes

2. Making creep side classes dot machines and huge morale pools (the majority of creep players do nothing but spam dots)

3. introducing more pve into a pvp zone. For creeps benefits more then free peoples

4. Wasted development time by creating a tree with a bird next to it in the moors.This dev shold be fired lol

I stopped there because it just got too ridiculous. You start out by making a point to say this isn't opinion. Well, what little isn't flat out misinformation and falsehoods is simply opinion - and very subjective opinion at that. Rather humorously, right after saying it isn't opinion you kick off your rating of the game. Well, someone tell metacritic they're wasting their time aggregating data and figuring out the proper rating when they should just be asking YOU for the real numbers.  By the time you got to monsterplay you just went whole hog into biased rant mode. 

"Turbine refuses to..."  

"Balance will never happen..." 

"...wasted development time" 

"The devs shold be fired lol"

If further down in your post there was a line that read "...and then Steefel came over my house and kicked my dog," I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Yeah im sure the lifer is getting a kick out this thread especially after they go f2p and he blew 200 bucks lol. 

They didn't blow 200 bucks.  They got quite a deal actually.  Wish I would have purchased one when they were avialable.  It's still paying of for them even now seeing as how they get VIP status  while others have to pay a monthly fee for it.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.  It is rather amusing.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

LOL. Im starting to wonder if anyone on this thread has actually played lotro at all.

Well, I've played since closed beta so there it is. I have quite a few posts, feel free to search my LOTRO posts if you need convincing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jellyf1shJellyf1sh Member Posts: 40

LOL. Im starting to wonder if anyone on this thread has actually played lotro at all.

How weird is that? That's just what I thought when I read your original post. But then again, LotRO is a bit short  on ewoks running around the Old Forest or Mirkwood; a few trolls though, so maybe that's the connection! LOL

btw, i bought my lifetime sub for £75 the day before F2P was announced. No regrets then, no regrets now :)

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's remember not to bait another user into an argument.