Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3+ Realm PVP?

potacopotaco Member Posts: 82

Dark Age of Camelot is one of the most celebrated PVP games due to its relatively unique 3-way Realm vs. Realm combat. The vast majority of other MMOs only split players into two realms/factions, with some games like Aion throwing in a 3rd NPC race.

What other game (free or sub) offers three or more realms for players to choose from? How's the game overall? How's the population?

The only ones I'm semi-familiar with are DAOC (which is a shell of what it once was) and Realms Online/Regnum Online (which has few players).

Comments

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

Prime Online is currently in development and is a sci-fi, 3-faction, pvp-centric mmo. It just recently was announced, though they've been working on it for a couple years and hope to go ahead with beta soon. Every bit of information they've released so far seems like it would appeal to DAoC fans. Check out the forums and if you're still interested, definitely check out the live stream, some good info in there as well.

Cite: Primeonline.com

livestream: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16014126

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by potaco

Dark Age of Camelot is one of the most celebrated PVP games due to its relatively unique 3-way Realm vs. Realm combat. <>

I'm sorry, but DAOC PVP was good mostly because of the game mechanics, class mechanics, gameplay, and so on. The 3 team faction PVP had very little to do with it. I don't understand why people celebrate the 3 faction system while ignoring the real reason the PVP in the game was great.

Take an mmorpg (with pvp) that is terrible, such as WOW or Warhammer. Add a 3rd faction. Guess what...it is still a terrible game. Do this with any terrible pvp mmorpg and the result is the same. Adding a 3rd faction won't fix a crappy game. Let's even look at DAOC. Minus the 3 faction system, and it's still a great PVP game. But what if instead, minus the PVP gameplay mechanics and replace them with Warhammer's mechanics, but keep the 3 factions, and now DAOC PVP sucks. 

DAOC had great PVP mostly because of the design choices behind the PVP. The 3 faction concept was awesome and fun, but it was just icing on the cake, enhancing the greatness that was the PVP game mechanics. 

So are you looking for a game with 3 factions, or with great PVP? 

If 3 factions, I'm not sure there are many options for you. Maybe Ryzom, but it has limited PVP. Eve can have as many "factions" as groups of people show up to fight. DAOC is still going kind of strong for veterans, so you may still want to check it out again. 

If you're looking for great PVP, there's also not many choices that you probably don't already know about. If there was a hidden gem for pvp greatness, I'd be playing it. You may want to check out Vendetta online, but I doubt it's what you're looking for. 

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Starquest Online Has Multiple factions that can choose ot be at war with eachother or not. Right now we have 4 factions. 1 i sneutral, and 2 have formed an alliance against the last, and a War has been waging for many months.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Starquest Online Has Multiple factions that can choose ot be at war with eachother or not. Right now we have 4 factions. 1 i sneutral, and 2 have formed an alliance against the last, and a War has been waging for many months.

Is this game still be actively developed, and if so, does it look like it will continue to be actively developed for the foreseeable future as well? 

I've tried it in the past, and it looks cool, but I've never been able to run it properly on my computer. I'll give it a go again if the game isn't abandonware by the developers like most cool looking indie mmo's. 

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Jimmac

Originally posted by potaco

Dark Age of Camelot is one of the most celebrated PVP games due to its relatively unique 3-way Realm vs. Realm combat. <>

I'm sorry, but DAOC PVP was good mostly because of the game mechanics, class mechanics, gameplay, and so on. The 3 team faction PVP had very little to do with it. I don't understand why people celebrate the 3 faction system while ignoring the real reason the PVP in the game was great.

We might have to agree to disagree here. Had DAOC only had two factions, it would have still been a good game, but nowhere near what it actually was. The third faction was the "special sauce" that made it amazing. You're correct in saying that simply having a third faction doesn't make a game excel at PVP, but done well, it can add so much more.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Planetside has 3 factions and so will Planetside 2.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.