Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swifty got banned from World of Warcraft!

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by WinnTech

IMO Blizzard made a terrible move. I honestly don't know the guy and never heard of him. But, I stand behind the customer. He is playing a game and, last I checked, there was not a counter showing "Hey this many people are in the area." In his defense, this is not his issue, no, this is the fault of Blizzard and their servers. If they will allow "X" amount of people in the server at "Y" time, then they had better damn well make sure that their servers can handle it. If not, limit the number of people on the server and open new ones if warrented. This simply appears to be Blizzard and friend not being able to manage their own equipment and software.

Yup I dont know him either but he was clearly a loyal paying customer enjoying the game.  This was not hacking, just poor software/concurrency management.  Maybe they should look at that half full glass and learn from it.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

30 second investigation took 30 seconds?.... what?. Do They have sherlock holmes working there?.

Blizzard has really lost a great deal of repect from me over the years. 

Banning a long time fan just for running a guild event is like kicking a circus clown for wearing to much makeup.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

you know he might have had earlier warnings... I am pretty sure he would not talk about that as it would damage his case of rage

This have been a good conversation

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I am on the fence with this.

I guess blizzards point of view is;

If we let this guys get away with it, all be it not intentional then they are saying it's ok to crash a server - they have to be harsh a slap on wrist will send the wrong message.

• SilverdaggerSilverdagger Member UncommonPosts: 119

Originally posted by angerbeaver

I have no sound from work, but how did he force the server to crash? It looked like in the email that there was a mass group of people or something so why did just he get banned?

I'll re-watch when I get home but if anyone can clear that up it would be awesome :)

This is what I understand happened:

Swifty's guild organized an event.  4-5k players participated.  Zybak was the leader and while Swifty was given lead role for a period, Zybak was still issuing commands.  All Swifty could do was tell them to stop.  The players chose to follow Zybak mindlessly into a single zone and the server ground to a halt.  In fact, two other servers crashed as well, but it appeared to be indirectly or wholely unrelated.   [Update: I'm reading that his character is being reinstated, but Swifty has yet to confirm. ]

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

He'll get over it. There's better MMOs on the horizon anyway. Kinda funny though. He's probably going through classic withdrawl symptoms right now. From reading the forums it appears he's crashed them before.

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

I came back because I got band and I wonder why? Wow even sent me the full download suspecting that I was hacked and thier fault. When I tried to reconnect, I was denied...If WOW expects me to pay for this game again...I'm not doing it...Beyond that...Wow admitted that they are hacked! I'm glad that I got out before the big explosion.  

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by tepthtanis

I came back because I got band and I wonder why? Wow even sent me the full download suspecting that I was hacked and thier fault. When I tried to reconnect, I was denied...If WOW expects me to pay for this game again...I'm not doing it...Beyond that...Wow admitted that they are hacked! I'm glad that I got out before the big explosion.  

This doesn't make a lot of sense.  Sounds like you fell for a phishing email.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

who? and why should i care?

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Even if you don't like Swifty I don't see how you can say that deserved a perma ban. Also I don't see how they single out a player for what mutiple people where doing. Blizzard has always disliked Swifty so I guess they finally got their excuse.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

nha it isnt wow it is a server gm ,swifty need to explain the situation and he ll get back online,he hit a overzealous server gm!

wow gm isnt gona be the same!

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by mafia514

If you guys plays wow and never heard of swifty its a shame really...

I know, right? It's like playing Guild Wars and not knowing who Magthegemar27 is.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

Originally posted by grunty

Originally posted by nhavas

Yeah... uh... What's a swifty?

Someone able to create 3,000 likes and 1,000 dislikes for a video that only 300 people have looked at.

you do know that it doesn't update immediatly when it comes to views right?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

He's just a cool dude that makes videos on youtube. bigger than most. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

It's odd that they ban him for that when I have seen GamebreakerTV crash the server while doing Legendary afterdark.  Double standard ?  maybe !  One thing is for sure, they both did not do it on purpose.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

wake me up when my Lord and Savior, the Veld God Chribba is banned image

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by Turdinator

Originally posted by mafia514

If you guys plays wow and never heard of swifty its a shame really...

I know, right? It's like playing Guild Wars and not knowing who Magthegemar27 is.

I am sorry I played Guild Wars for 4 years, who is Magthegemar27? I didn't think I was that out of touch with the community...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by bartoni33

Originally posted by NasherUK

I didn't know who he was before today.  But Blizzard's decision was wrong, he didn't do it on purpose and the fact it even crashed isn't his fault, blizzard should have had systems in place to prevent this kind of situation.

To be honest blizzards behaviour lately has just been all round poor and the way they acted towards this player can only be discribed as nazi-ish.

Yeah that's what I got from this thread too. It looked like he didn't do anything bad on purpose. Looks like poor game mechanics or whatever.

If this player is as good to the community as has been suggested then Blizzard made a bad PR move.

Agreed.  If the guy found a way to bring down a server and didn't do it intentionally, they should thank him for finding the exploit not ban him from the game.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Exploits all around! The way of WOW...

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Damn him for organizing so many people to play their game and pay them. He should be banned from all Blizzard products forever.

Seriously, they need to up their hardware if they can't handle fan-run events.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

If it took 5000/6000 players to crash the servers Blizzard should ban all of them rather than a single player.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I wonder if Swifty is going to change to RIFTY? Maybe he'll show up in Telara.

• cuad1780cuad1780 Member Posts: 54

Soo.. I don't get it... one minute the OTHER guy is leading, and then swifty leads and gets banned? how did they know he was even leading since someone else on this thread said that people were following the other guy(zybak or something)?

sucks anyways dood, i'm glad i gave up on wow 2 years ago