Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap and reliable gaming pc!!!

VespuraVespura Member Posts: 71

So I want to buy a new gaming PC for when GW2 comes out mainly, but also just for the games I currently play. I want something very cheap (I'm on a really low budget...) but reliable. My budget is only around $700-$800... I have been looking at iBUYPOWER, and I have seen some good and bad reviews. I am going to be buying through newegg though. Have any of you had experiences with this company? Do you have any other suggestions?

Comments

• warmen_faithwarmen_faith Member Posts: 90

Don't buy off Ibuypower or Cyberpower, not that great of service or prices. Newegg is the way to go, its the only place i buy pc parts from, I have built 5 comps and recvived all the parts working perfectly every time from newegg. Wouldnt shop anywhere else.

• VulskoVulsko Member Posts: 80

One of my good friends bought from IBP, it ended up being a piece of junk for $800. It was a low-end MSI motherboard, off brand GTX 580, and 2 crappy fans from some random company I had never heard of. He's thinking about getting some more reliable now from somewhere else.

Just my 2cents.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

You might want to check out ecollegepc.com..

I build my own gaming rigs but these guys are hard to beat dollar for dollar for economy or custom rigs prebuilt for you and they have an outstanding warranty policy..

Playing GW2..

• VespuraVespura Member Posts: 71

How about an Acer Predator?

Originally posted by dageeza

You might want to check out ecollegepc.com..

I build my own gaming rigs but these guys are hard to beat dollar for dollar for economy or custom rigs prebuilt for you and they have an outstanding warranty policy..

Alright thanks, I'll check them out.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

The ideal way to do this is to build your own.  I could help you pick out parts, and $800 is plenty of money to get a cheap and reliable gaming PC if you build your own.

If you can't or won't do that, then it's far better to get something built to order than to get something prebuilt.  Prebuilt computers usually don't tell you very much of what is inside.  They may spend 40 lines supposedly listing the specs, and actually tell you two parts that they use, while leaving you to guess on the rest.  They do that because they use cheap junk parts and don't want you to know.  That won't be reliable.

If you get something built to order, then you can pick the parts and avoid cheap junk.  If you buy directly from iBuyPower, you can get cheap junk, or you can pay more for something better.  In most cases, if someone gets a cheap junk computer from iBuyPower, it's his own fault for picking cheap junk parts.  The company just did what the customer requested.

There are some problems with iBuyPower's configurator, though.  They don't let you pick the exact memory, so they might end up sending you something that is overvolted, especially if you get 1600 MHz memory.  That's not really that big of a deal, though.

They don't let you pick the exact SKU of the video card, so the build quality might not be that good.  AMD and Nvidia police that enough that it shouldn't be completely awful; if a board partner does try to sell cards that are completely awful, AMD or Nvidia can refuse to sell them more GPU chips.

They don't offer a budget AMD board that will let you upgrade to a Bulldozer processor later if so inclined, which is what I'd recommend on your budget.  That really doesn't matter today, but it might if you decide you need a faster processor in a couple of years.

Their storage selection is rather lacking.  They don't offer the WD Caviar Black that is usually the hard drive to get if you're not going to get an SSD.  They don't offer the Crucial M4, Samsung 470, or 115 GB SandForce-based SSDs that are usually the best value for the money if you want an SSD.  They do offer some other SSDs that are overpriced, and they pass on the price premium.

Their power supply selection is just dreadful, though.  Most gaming systems should get a pretty good quality power supply rated at around 500 W.   They don't even offer that at all.  The cheapest power supply that they offer that isn't completely awful is the Corsair TX650 V2, which is a $99 upgrade.  Not a flat $99, but $99 more than an alternative that you implicitly have to pay for even without the upgrade.  You can get a pretty good power supply for a lot cheaper than $99.  And if you don't pay for the upgrade, then you'll have something very unreliable unless the first thing you do when the computer arrives is to replace the power supply yourself.  If you're going to do that, then you might as well just build your own.

Honestly, though, iBuyPower's parts selection is a lot better than what is offered by, say, Dell or Hewlett-Packard.  Most computer building companies don't offer a very good selection.  One that does is AVA Direct:

http://www.avadirect.com/desktop-pc-configurator.asp?PRID=14248

Pick whatever you want and they'll build it for you.  If you pick cheap junk parts, you'll get a cheap junk computer, but it will be your own fault.  Pick good quality parts and you'll get a good quality computer.  Their selection is nearly as good as you'd get by building your own, too.  If you can't or won't build your own, then that's probably the next best thing, as the only real drawback to it is that you have to pay more (perhaps $100 more or so) if you're paying someone else to screw things together.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

From what I can tell, In the $700-$800 range, you basically have two options:

1.) built it yourself

2.) Don't get a gaming machine

I looked at Cyberpower, and even for $800, getting something passable just wasn't happening. The "Phenom II X4 configurator" seems like a good bet, starting at $575, but then you realize you have to basically spend $160 for a decent GPU (I picked the $6870, hardly over-the-top on your budget), spend $100 for a decent power supply (because there's no option in-between absolute junk and absolutely overpowered). That puts you over $800, right there. Then, you have to buy a copy of Windows; that's now over $900.

So that option is a no-go.

Looking on Newegg for gaming PCs for under $800

I managed to find this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227353

It has a Radeon HD 6850, which makes it okay, but the power supply is absolute crap by what indications are given, and hexacore CPUs are not what you want for gaming right now (a CPU with fewer cores and more performance per core is vastly preferable).

You could try a place like Dell, and get one pre-made, but even selecting something that might work for your price range and be decent, like the XPS 8300, you're still left with a junk PSU because companies like them always cut corners there, and even selecting a modest 6770 GPU exceeds your budget. Selecting a 6870 grossly exceeds your budget, because they card a staggering $330 for that upgrade (which means they're charging you more than twice the actual value). Their other machines are either under-powered or over-priced.

In short, I just don't see how you're going to land a passable gaming machine on that budget by buying it.

Edit: I do stand corrected with AVA Direct; they are the one alternative to building that could work. It won't be as nice as building it, but at least you could physically get a passable gaming machine.

From my link above:

Case: Antec Three Hundred

Power Supply:  Antec EarthWatts Green 650 W

Motherboard:  Asus M5A87 (Socket AM3+)

Processor:  Phenom II X4 955

Memory:  Crucial 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) PC3-10600

Video card:  XFX Radeon HD 6850

Hard drive:  500 GB WD Caviar Black

Operating system:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Total price:  $792.17

That's before shipping, though, and possibly taxes, depending on where you live.  You can do quite a bit better than that if you assemble it yourself.

See, now my only problem is.. I have no idea how to build a computer. I'd rather just pay the $100 to have someone build it for me. But this really helps, so I guess I'll check out what www.avadirect.com has.

Suppose that you buy a prebuilt computer.  When it gets shipped to you, there is a case with various stuff in it, speakers, a montior, a keyboard, a mouse, and some power cords.  How does the stuff all get plugged in?  Do you have to hire someone to come plug it in for you (as some companies will do)?  Or do you plug it in yourself?

Plugging things into SATA ports, memory slots, and PCI Express slots inside a computer case isn't really any harder than plugging things into USB ports, ethernet ports, and power outlets outside of the computer case.  Different ports, sockets, and slots are all shaped differently, so you can't plug something into the wrong spot, as it won't physically fit.  The motherboard and case will come with extremely detailed instructions, so you really just need to follow the directions.

If you're tech savvy enough that you could diagnose and fix the problem if someone unplugged the power cord from your computer, then you're tech savvy enough that you could assemble a computer from parts if so inclined.  Now, some people aren't sharp enough to do that, and those people really should get something built for them.  But it's not as hard as you probably think.  If you screw up, then by far the most likely outcome is that the computer won't boot when you try to turn it on, until you figure out what you forgot to plug in and fix it.  Actually damaging something is pretty unlikely unless you're reckless or intentionally try to damage your hardware.

Knowing which parts to buy is a different matter, of course.  But I could give you a list of parts here.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by Quizzical

Suppose that you buy a prebuilt computer.  When it gets shipped to you, there is a case with various stuff in it, speakers, a montior, a keyboard, a mouse, and some power cords.  How does the stuff all get plugged in?  Do you have to hire someone to come plug it in for you (as some companies will do)?  Or do you plug it in yourself?

Plugging things into SATA ports, memory slots, and PCI Express slots inside a computer case isn't really any harder than plugging things into USB ports, ethernet ports, and power outlets outside of the computer case.  Different ports, sockets, and slots are all shaped differently, so you can't plug something into the wrong spot, as it won't physically fit.  The motherboard and case will come with extremely detailed instructions, so you really just need to follow the directions.

If you're tech savvy enough that you could diagnose and fix the problem if someone unplugged the power cord from your computer, then you're tech savvy enough that you could assemble a computer from parts if so inclined.  Now, some people aren't sharp enough to do that, and those people really should get something built for them.  But it's not as hard as you probably think.  If you screw up, then by far the most likely outcome is that the computer won't boot when you try to turn it on, until you figure out what you forgot to plug in and fix it.  Actually damaging something is pretty unlikely unless you're reckless or intentionally try to damage your hardware.

Knowing which parts to buy is a different matter, of course.  But I could give you a list of parts here.

I think thats going abit far.  electrical wireing at a nuclear powerplant may be "simple" if you are an electrical engineer.  but i'd rather not be the one thats doing the wiring:D   all of us have our comfort zones.  some more comfortable inside a computer then others.   some more confident then others when it comes to configuring a new windows install w/ SSD drives then others etc...   I can see why he wouldnt want to build his own box.   I think he can do it, but like i said, it's all about his own comfort zone and how much time he has to dedicate to researching the info.  god forbid should he fry a new chip with static electricity or have a screw fall on the mobo w/o realizing it and end up frying his new machine:D

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Originally posted by psyclum

Originally posted by Quizzical

I think thats going abit far.  electrical wireing at a nuclear powerplant may be "simple" if you are an electrical engineer.  but i'd rather not be the one thats doing the wiring:D   all of us have our comfort zones.  some more comfortable inside a computer then others.   some more confident then others when it comes to configuring a new windows install w/ SSD drives then others etc...   I can see why he wouldnt want to build his own box.   I think he can do it, but like i said, it's all about his own comfort zone and how much time he has to dedicate to researching the info.  god forbid should he fry a new chip with static electricity or have a screw fall on the mobo w/o realizing it and end up frying his new machine:D

I see your point but the only way you ever get comfortable doing anything is by doing it. I was nervous on my first build, worried I would destroy a good chunk of $. I was also uncomfortable during my first alternator change on my car, my first brake job (really worried about that one), uncomfortable the first time I handled a gun, uncomfortable the first time I played an RPG and had to assign stats not knowing where they should go, etc. etc. etc. Comfort only comes from experience, but yeah, you always have to choice to pay someone to do it for you.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

Look into Ibuypower

Cheap and decent for pre-builts

Some people have the idea that building a computer involves soldering things together, or something like that, that most home users really shouldn't attempt.  That's true of building power supplies, motherboards, or video cards, but not for assembling those completed parts into a working computer.

There's also the advantage that after you build your own computer just once, then you know how to do it, and you know that you can do it again if so inclined.  Then every time you need a new computer for the rest of your life, you just build it yourself, rather than paying a significant premium for someone else to do it for you.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

I'm not saying he couldn't do it.  i'm just saying i can see why he doesnt want to do it:D   if he rather pay someone $100 to plug things in and screw it down and install the OS for him, then thats what he prefers.  just like i'd rather pay a plumber to fix a leak or an electrican to wire a 220v outlet.  COULD i do it if i really wanted to?  i'm sure i could with alittle research.  but, i'd rather just pay someone to do it and get it over with:D

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

In some cases, the $100 to get it built for you might not be a big issue, but on a $700-$800 budget, that's REALLY a big chunk of money, OP.

Building a computer isn't difficult, in the least. I knew many people in high school who built their own machines, with absolutely zero knowledge of computing (and considering you can fit all of the required instructions on a single-sided typed sheet of paper, it's not surprising). They often picked very questionable parts, but they had no problem assembling it, at all. It's basically about as complex as a snap-together plastic model for kids, with about as low a chance of breaking something.

As for the hard part, picking parts, well that's why you come here and ask ;)