Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having trouble reinstalling

GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

I'm trying to reinstall to play my copy of Sentinel's Fate, but I keep running into some file that won't decompress.

There was a problem decompressing the file C:ProgramDataSony Online EntertainmentInstalled GamesEverQuest IIlp_temppaksexp02_rgn_realm_of_twilight.vpk_delta_9454_2.gz.

Station launcher will try again after 5 seconds.

....it's been doing this for a day now. Any suggestions on how to make it stop? I've tried the game forums to no avail. I've tried changing the compatibility to service pack 2. Nothing seems to be working, and I REALLY don't want to have to reinstall and patch again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

Originally posted by Ganksinatra

I'm trying to reinstall to play my copy of Sentinel's Fate, but I keep running into some file that won't decompress.

There was a problem decompressing the file C:ProgramDataSony Online EntertainmentInstalled GamesEverQuest IIlp_temppaksexp02_rgn_realm_of_twilight.vpk_delta_9454_2.gz.

Station launcher will try again after 5 seconds.

....it's been doing this for a day now. Any suggestions on how to make it stop? I've tried the game forums to no avail. I've tried changing the compatibility to service pack 2. Nothing seems to be working, and I REALLY don't want to have to reinstall and patch again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you are using the Sony Station Launcher? That thing sometimes does weird stuff when patching.

I had problems patching using the station launcher too.

I recommend downloading the EQ2 streaming client. When you install it, target your game and it should pick up those files. With the streaming client, you can download the game while playing, which isn't the best option in my opinion. So just leave the Streaming launcher open on the screen with the "Play" button, right before it starts the game itself.

If you leave it there, it should say "Patching x.xxGB left" and will patch the whole game.

The reason why the streaming client is better is that it supposedly uses new patching protocols and the core of the launcher itself should be much newer than the other launchers. The customer support said that themselves when I had problems.

You can download it here:

http://launch.soe.com/eq2/

Hope it helps,

Laxie

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

Just woke up and trying that now. Thank you.

• VoodoodsVoodoods Member Posts: 2

I just tried this solution and first it tells me it needs to convert the directory (C:Program Files (x86)SonyEverQuest II) to use the new installer. I hit OK and then  I get an error:

"Due to your account settings, this installer is unable to write to C:Program Files (x86)SonyEverQuest II. Please select another installation path.

Its not readonly or hidden, so I'm not sure what it means - ideas?

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

Originally posted by Voodoods

I just tried this solution and first it tells me it needs to convert the directory (C:Program Files (x86)SonyEverQuest II) to use the new installer. I hit OK and then  I get an error:

"Due to your account settings, this installer is unable to write to C:Program Files (x86)SonyEverQuest II. Please select another installation path.

If you are running it on Windows 7, but especially Windows Vista, you might need to run the launcher as an administrator.

Here is a quote from another forum:

"On Windows Vista and above programs do not run with administration privilagaes even if you have an administerative account unless you specifically instruct them to. For software the self-updates you are better off installing it outside of Program files.

If the don't want to move the files you will need to right click on the program and select "Run as administrator" each time you launch it to ensure it works correctly."

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Voodoods

Yeah, the C:Program Files and C:Program Files (x86) have special protections in Vista and Windows 7. This is an issue a lot of software has installing on those OSes. You can change the security settings for the directories, but it's good security practice to install software outside of those directories anyway, so the best bet is to just choose another installation directory for the game.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

These errors were so annoying when I was trying to play EQ2 recently... and it seems SOE doesn't really even know what causes it.

Eventually it fixed itself somehow.

Major PITA.