Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player ganked for $60,000 in pvp

135

Comments

  • mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

    The thing is most of the people who play this game and have the uberest of the uber gear, are very well off in real life.  It's the game for the rich gamers who like to take a gamble while they play.  Then there's the few who have started with barely anything and made bank on it.  Either way it's really a niche game even though it sounds like it is well populated and maintained.  Couldn't get into myself, though the idea of becoming rich playing a game does sound intriguing, but I'm sure unless you know the game like the back of your hand you'd probably have to invest quite a bit of real life cash to do anything.

    If this gank was real, I say kudos to those players, they sure earned their money for playing smart and I'm surprised people haven't tried making mass gank groups of naked/cheap equipment players to take down the super rich for profit.

  • mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

    Originally posted by Ceridith

    Originally posted by Luv_bug


    Originally posted by Serignuad


    Originally posted by Luv_bug


    Originally posted by EverSkelly

    Sounds so fake. 60.000$, really..?

     Oh ya, there are $100,000+ armors in Entropia Universe according to my friend that plays it. Also remember they sold the guys stuff in MINUTES. Tells you how many people are willing to buy.

     I think for some of us that don't play, we want to know where the "60,000" and "100,000" numbers are coming from.

    Is this real-life currency or in-game (I can't imagine any set of in-game items being valued at 60,000, let alone 100k)?

    What determines the value?

     No its real money. Entropia is actually a licensed bank too. My understanding is the company sells the uber items, and value is determined by the "bad arseness" of the wep, armor or ship and the number of the item in the game. For example the guy was carrying a $15,000 pistol which is super strong and of which there are only 10 total in the game.

    Am I the only person who finds it absolutely insane that people are willingly playing this game and sinking hundreds if not thousands of dollars into virtual items in it?

    The point I just can't process in my head is that the company who is apparently a 'registered bank' and has full control over the currency exchange, is also selling virtual items worth thousands of dollars that they can create by replicating a few bits of data.

    It goes against all sense and logic from an economic standpoint.

    It's not unheard of, anyone remember when Diablo 2: LOD came out?  Items were selling for hundreds of dollars a pop, and people were buying them up like candy.  Took awhile for the dupers to catch up and lower prices on each other, but for a good 3-6 months after it's release I clearly remember good uniques and runewords selling for major cash.  Sure it's not the thousands that Entropia can net you but it just goes to show people will pay absurd amounts of money for virtual items.

  • babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity"

    AFAIK, in EVE there was a Russian Aluminum tycoon, who spent  100,000 dollars on ISK, motherships, titans and bought RL cars for other alliance leaders to be allied with him..

  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,392

    I read it on the internet, so it must be true!

  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

    Originally posted by jugularvein

    Man i rage quit when I feel I blew 60 bucks on a crappy game .  If I lost 60k i would be texting this via blackberry before i jumped ;/

     

    I'd probably have to shoot myself if I played this game for too long, even if they were paying me to do it.

    When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

    Originally posted by Luv_bug

    Re high end niche market, I would say so. They have 800,000 registered users and to get paid you gotta share banking details, so they have a pretty large playerbase, not just a bunch of phantom accts.

    800k registered accounts does not mean the game has 800k active accounts. Xfire is showing the same low numbers like games such as Fallen Earth, Darkfall and Mortal Online. Which means the game has, at most, 50k active players. Which is a small playerbase.

  • AlphaGeekAlphaGeek Member Posts: 190

    Only stackable items are lootable, meaning ammo, mined resources and raw materials. Vehicles, weapons, and armor cannot be looted in any PvP area.

     

    I seriously doubt anyone would carry $60,000 in stackables anywhere. The avatar would be unable to do anything but walk at a very low speed due to encumberance.  OP, pony up a source for this rumor or it's a load of hooey.

     

    Alpha AG Geek
    Founder- Manticore Society

  • WinnTechWinnTech Member UncommonPosts: 71

    I read this and find the whole premise a bit ridculous. I tried this game years ago, sweating...really? This game is the most ridiculous sham of a game IMO. The game managed to hold my attention for about 10 minutes, yes, 10 minutes. After those 10 minutes I found myself disenchanted with the game and managed to struggle an addtional two hours of the game before logging out and uninstalling the game.

    This game was terrible and is on my list of games to never try again.

    WinnTech

  • thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

    this whole story is clearly BS, lets leave it.

    Chins

  • JabozJaboz Member UncommonPosts: 5

    I'd feel bad but anyone who sinks that kind of $$ into a game obviously can afford to lose it, or is a complete moron. 

  • apollobsg75apollobsg75 Member Posts: 66

    Originally posted by Ceridith

    Originally posted by Luv_bug


    Originally posted by Serignuad


    Originally posted by Luv_bug


    Originally posted by EverSkelly

    Sounds so fake. 60.000$, really..?

     Oh ya, there are $100,000+ armors in Entropia Universe according to my friend that plays it. Also remember they sold the guys stuff in MINUTES. Tells you how many people are willing to buy.

     I think for some of us that don't play, we want to know where the "60,000" and "100,000" numbers are coming from.

    Is this real-life currency or in-game (I can't imagine any set of in-game items being valued at 60,000, let alone 100k)?

    What determines the value?

     No its real money. Entropia is actually a licensed bank too. My understanding is the company sells the uber items, and value is determined by the "bad arseness" of the wep, armor or ship and the number of the item in the game. For example the guy was carrying a $15,000 pistol which is super strong and of which there are only 10 total in the game.

    Am I the only person who finds it absolutely insane that people are willingly playing this game and sinking hundreds if not thousands of dollars into virtual items in it?

    The point I just can't process in my head is that the company who is apparently a 'registered bank' and has full control over the currency exchange, is also selling virtual items worth thousands of dollars that they can create by replicating a few bits of data.

    It goes against all sense and logic from an economic standpoint.

     Its natural selection. Its no different the what $cientologists put themselves through. Both are silly things to spend that kinda jack on.

  • TalinTalin Member Posts: 824

    Originally posted by thebigchin11

    this whole story is clearly BS, lets leave it.

    I have to agree on this; without clear documented proof from a reliable source, this is nonsense to me.

    I also find it interesting there are certain posters in this thread continuing to hype up the story each time it lulls, which makes me call this a deliberate attempt to draw attention to a relatively unpopular game.

  • Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

    Originally posted by AlphaGeek

    Only stackable items are lootable, meaning ammo, mined resources and raw materials. Vehicles, weapons, and armor cannot be looted in any PvP area.

     

    I seriously doubt anyone would carry $60,000 in stackables anywhere. The avatar would be unable to do anything but walk at a very low speed due to encumberance.  OP, pony up a source for this rumor or it's a load of hooey.

     

     Apparently  there is a game mechanic in which you can only access your resources through any "bank" but only on the planet on which they are stored. To do business on other planets you must transfer your stuff, hence the bountiful harvest. Would also explain why he might have been easier to focus fire on if he was encumbered as you say IF the materials from his ship automatically transfer to his avatar upon destruction. The source is my friend who is a friend of the bandits and has played EU on and off for a while. He said they're laying low on an asteroid and generally laughing their butts off. Apparently they also destroyed the guy's uber pistol too.Which would explain the last guys ability to survive long enough to take him out with his vehicles weapons. The guy was apparently carrying a $9,000 sniper rifle as well, which wouldn't have been an effective weapon 1v1 against a vehicle if it adhers to classic sniper rifle mechanics. As I said, I'll try and learn more, when i can get him on the phone. Please also remember that no uber had ever been hit like this before and are generally tougher than elephant tusk's, so in his hubris he wouldn't of realistically thought twice about being jacked.

  • Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

    Originally posted by thebigchin11

    this whole story is clearly BS, lets leave it.

     Your forum name musta gone to your head. What are we some sort of virtual mafia in your imagination? Dude you do you.

  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

    Whilst all of this completely boggles my my mind I do find i tfunny as hell.

    It's always great being the underdogs and taking out the big dogs in normal PvP games but these guys must be feeling pretty damn good about themselves for this one.

  • Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

    Originally posted by Talin

    Originally posted by thebigchin11

    this whole story is clearly BS, lets leave it.

    I have to agree on this; without clear documented proof from a reliable source, this is nonsense to me.

    I also find it interesting there are certain posters in this thread continuing to hype up the story each time it lulls, which makes me call this a deliberate attempt to draw attention to a relatively unpopular game.

     Not sure if the Associated Press is trolling EU for news stories. I heard from a rl friend of the 6 bandits that also plays the game. I actually came to see if the Entropia players here might have been able to give me more info. Also if I am one of the posters you're referring to, I'm the OP, I feel I should answer what I can about the story, I also wanna see if anyone might know an uber player that could give more details, since its among them that its a big stink, but I don't have a vested interest. I don't even play the game hehe. I just thought it was crazy, and that this must be video game history being made. The single worst gank of all time hehehe.

  • Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

    Originally posted by Kabaal

    Whilst all of this completely boggles my my mind I do find i tfunny as hell.

    It's always great being the underdogs and taking out the big dogs in normal PvP games but these guys must be feeling pretty damn good about themselves for this one.

     Me and my boy laughed our butts off for a half hour. OMGosh this was funny when I first heard, and it was about the underdog thing. Y'know?

  • narfinarfi Member UncommonPosts: 178

    Originally posted by Luv_bug

     Apparently  there is a game mechanic in which you can only access your resources through any "bank" but only on the planet on which they are stored. To do business on other planets you must transfer your stuff, hence the bountiful harvest. Would also explain why he might have been easier to focus fire on if he was encumbered as you say IF the materials from his ship automatically transfer to his avatar upon destruction.

    If his ship was destroyed while transporting goods he would have had to be in space. Which you said he was not.

    When returning to a planet you land in a designated area that is on the oposite side of the map from any lootable pvp areas. The planet side lootable pvp areas are relativly small in comparison to the world or space maps.

    The source is my friend who is a friend of the bandits and has played EU on and off for a while.

    It would appear that either your friend is telling you a wild fantasy about the potential ofthe game, or his pirate friends are telling him lies. There are too many inconsistancies with the story and while it does make for a good story, unfortunatly that appears to be all it is. I had really hoped for there to be a grain of truth behind it, but im really not seeing it.

    He said they're laying low on an asteroid and generally laughing their butts off. Apparently they also destroyed the guy's uber pistol too.

    There is no ability to destroy an opononts weapon within the Entropia Universe.

    Which would explain the last guys ability to survive long enough to take him out with his vehicles weapons. The guy was apparently carrying a $9,000 sniper rifle as well, which wouldn't have been an effective weapon 1v1 against a vehicle if it adhers to classic sniper rifle mechanics. As I said, I'll try and learn more, when i can get him on the phone. Please also remember that no uber had ever been hit like this before and are generally tougher than elephant tusk's, so in his hubris he wouldn't of realistically thought twice about being jacked.

     

    In response to Talin,

    I am an active participant within the Entropia Universe, and I spend alot of time researching as many aspects of it as I can. When I find a story like this, I like to find the truth behind it, so of course I am going to post and question. You on the other hand appear to be trolling purely for the sake of trolling.

     

    To Luv_Bug,

    I really would like to know the facts, but unfortunatly thats not what you have been sharing. I mean no offence because I think either you or your friend were lied to, or atleast the truth was extreamly exagerated.

    If you ever want to chat ingame, let me know. I mostly hang out on Rocktropia when im not traveling through space between the other planets, and everyone in the local hangout spots on Rocktropia know me and can help you get in touch with me.

     

    gl and have fun :)

     

    narfi

  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,803

    Originally posted by Ceridith

    Originally posted by blackemperor


    ...

    It does not need to make sense from an economic standpoint, as long as they make money out of it.

    The same could be said of pyramid schemes, ponzi schemes, and other types of scamming and fraud... but that's doesn't make them moral, logical, sustainable, and as a consequence of this, neither are they legal.

     

    Many people over the years have attempted to attack the game in the legal realm. They've not managed to get very far.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. Those involved *choose* to be there. Any money and/or time they spend is by their choice. Its really no one elses business, especially not some governments.  I played the game for awhile, and spent around $100 on it. But its not my type of game. 

    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

    Thanks for the offer Narfi. I spoke to my friend who said there is some sort of intermediate point between space and entering a planets atmosphere that is pvp, and thats where they got him. I hope I have that right, he explained quite a bit about the game's history and so forth like how Neverdie became big by mortgaging his house, and eventually how Mindark got him a planet, something alse about how his girlfriend(island Girl) he met online died and now she's a teleporter avatar (or something), why land ownership is no guarantee of success and how people he knows make good money in the game but the tedium is extreme. After 2 years of playing on and off, he says EU's ok, but not near what people think its gonna be when they sign up. He mentioned his brother said he found an article on the incident  which took place somewhere around the 13th,  he also says he's seen a bunch of new players in the last 2 days so apparently its out there. I've asked him to give me the following:

    1) The mark's name and society

    2) The link to the article his brother found (I looked and didn't find it, so asked him to ask)

    3) If the bandits have an official society, its name

    He says most players aren't aware,but the high end people are. He also says the guy's society is out for blood from these guys and that they won't be able to conduct business in game anymore if the society can help it. Word is the mark has also gone to Mindark looking for redress. My friend also stated he believes it was an inside job, though he has no proof, but in his opinion space is too big for these guys to just stumble upon the guy just as he's moving a big payload like that. I mentioned the destroyed pistol issue, he said it didn't happen, I might have misunderstood him(???), we were kinda raucous and laughing at the time.

    So just waiting now...

  • Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

     


     


    The point I just can't process in my head is that the company who is apparently a 'registered bank' and has full control over the currency exchange, is also selling virtual items worth thousands of dollars that they can create by replicating a few bits of data.

    It goes against all sense and logic from an economic standpoint.

    That's exactly how I feel about the whole "F2P revolution" albiet to a much smaller scale.

     

    You buy potions in an item shop to help you overcome the difficulty level set by the person selling you the potions.

    WTF?? Why can't anybody see this??




    The point I just can't process in my head is that the company who is apparently a 'registered bank' and has full control over the currency exchange, is also selling virtual items worth thousands of dollars that they can create by replicating a few bits of data.

    It goes against all sense and logic from an economic standpoint.

    That's exactly how I feel about the whole "F2P revolution" albiet to a much smaller scale.

     

    You buy potions in an item shop to help you overcome the difficulty level set by the person selling you the potions.

    WTF?? Why can't anybody see this??




    The point I just can't process in my head is that the company who is apparently a 'registered bank' and has full control over the currency exchange, is also selling virtual items worth thousands of dollars that they can create by replicating a few bits of data.

    It goes against all sense and logic from an economic standpoint.

    That's exactly how I feel about the whole "F2P revolution" albiet to a much smaller scale.

     

    You buy potions in an item shop to help you overcome the difficulty level set by the person selling you the potions.

    WTF?? Why can't anybody see this??



  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,021

    OK so I am reading the thread.  I know nothing of entropia, so I went and looked it up. It sounds like it is heavy RMT. So in other words the guy with the most cash wins?

    So do folks really spend 69K on a game?

    Just wondering, since I know nothing of the game.   Exactly how would the game compare to swg or to eve.

    Not trying to be a troll, just trying to figure  out if folks spend 69k. 

  • Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

    Originally posted by erictlewis

    Not trying to be a troll, just trying to figure  out if folks spend 69k. 

    I think they actually do. I read about a guy buying a planet in there for $100K+ and then making money selling off pieces.

  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,803

    Originally posted by erictlewis

    OK so I am reading the thread.  I know nothing of entropia, so I went and looked it up. It sounds like it is heavy RMT. So in other words the guy with the most cash wins?

    So do folks really spend 69K on a game?

    Just wondering, since I know nothing of the game.   Exactly how would the game compare to swg or to eve.

    Not trying to be a troll, just trying to figure  out if folks spend 69k. 

     

    Its pretty much the ultimate RMT game. 60K isn't that much, compared to the 300,000 someone paid for a space station(or some such) awhile back.  Its much like the real world. Those with the most money,  tend to make out like bandits. 

    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MnemiMnemi Member UncommonPosts: 55

    Well it's not hard to believe such things occur in games as I myself use the less expensive of the RMT games Second life [which is more of a social 3D networking tool] and make around 100 dollars in cash a month.

This discussion has been closed.