Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent gaming laptop £800+-

2»

Comments

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263

Allright... If nothing will change i probably buy Xplorer x6-9400 form cyberpowerpc. It would cost me 827+(-15£ vausher code). Of course ssd3 drive would be awesome to get but its too damn expensive.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Mobile Processor 2.00 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 2.80 GHz

HDD: 250GB 7200RPM SATA300 HARD DRIVE [-7]

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

MOTHERBOARD: Intel HM67 Express Chipset Mainboard

SOUND: BUILT-IN AC 97 SOUND

VIDEO: NVIDIA GTX 560M 1.5GB PCIe Video

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Painlezz.

A GTX 8800 768 meg video card can run todays games at TOP settings no problem... and that card is OLD.  Video games aren't advancing as fast as technology anymore.

No, it can't. Not even in SLI. 

I had 2 of them just over 3 years ago and even then there were a few games I couldn't max out on a pretty kick ass machine. My cards were 2 overclocked 8800 GTS BTW.

It can still run most of the MMOs maxed out but that is because most MMOs use pretty old engines but when you come to FPS games things are very different.

You can max out a game on the top cards of last generations GFX cards but 8800 is a few generations older.

All really good GFX cards uses a lot of power and are therefor rarely seen in a laptop. To make a real gaming laptop you would either have very low battery time or power it with fuelcells.

Most gamers I know instead buy a chep laptop (or IPAD) and a kick ass desktop to have at home, it will still be cheaper and effectiver than a real gaming laptop.

An acceptable laptop isn't as expenisve as a true gaming one and can run most games at high or medium setting and one like that can be found for 800 quids but don't expect it to be even close to a desktop in that pricerange.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The 8800 has had a long and fruitful life. It's still a plausable video card today, but Loke666 is right, it's far from the powerhouse it used to be.

The 8800/9800/240/250/260m/280m all run essentially the same G92/G92B die (although there were a lot of variations on the 8800 and 9800 series, the whole GT/GS/GSO/GTS/GTX/Ultra naming convention shenanigans)

This is great. I can't get VAT back because my country is in European Union. Now iim tilting my head and dont know what to do... I want that cyber power pc, but god damn its £1k... I looked elsewhere but there are no decent laptops with atleast nvidia 460. Im really lost here... maybe i should increase my budget... :| Maybe i should get rid of win 7 and use linux... lol

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

I was trying to find a decent gaming laptop for you in Britain, and that's really slim pickings.  Worse than the US, even, which is itself pretty bad.  Actually, it's probably not much selection anywhere in the world, given how exactly zero major laptop vendors like to offer sensible hardware configurations.

Amazon UK does have a couple of Llano laptops, but they've also got discrete cards, which completely defeats the point of Llano in the first place.  If you're going to get a discrete card, you're better off with a Sandy Bridge processor.  I tried HP's UK site, and they still don't offer Llano, nor do they offer any configuration options like they do in the US.  That also rules out the 6770M that they offer in the US at a competitive price.

The best I could come up with is this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-025-MS

It features mismatched memory channels, and RAID 0 hard drives, which is a terrible idea in a laptop.  So it's not a good configuration, but it's the least bad configuration that I could find.  

But it's £874.80 inc VAT, and you get last generation's top of the line video card, and performance about on par with a GeForce GTX 460M or 560M.  The processor is older and a dual core, but it's still 32 nm, so the performance per watt should be pretty good.  And it's more or less on clearance.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

If you are looking for any deals online try this free app http://www.myshoppinggenie.com/helpall it's a free shopping app and you just select your country and then local and it finds your item after opening up 6 shopping screens.

You have to find the item first in a normal browser then you hit the compare and it finds you your spec laptop the cheapest in 30 seconds.

I got my sony vio £300 cheaper using this app.

Enjoy all and share it with your friends.

Nightbandit

Asbo

Originally posted by Quizzical

I was trying to find a decent gaming laptop for you in Britain, and that's really slim pickings.  Worse than the US, even, which is itself pretty bad.  Actually, it's probably not much selection anywhere in the world, given how exactly zero major laptop vendors like to offer sensible hardware configurations.

Amazon UK does have a couple of Llano laptops, but they've also got discrete cards, which completely defeats the point of Llano in the first place.  If you're going to get a discrete card, you're better off with a Sandy Bridge processor.  I tried HP's UK site, and they still don't offer Llano, nor do they offer any configuration options like they do in the US.  That also rules out the 6770M that they offer in the US at a competitive price.

The best I could come up with is this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-025-MS

It features mismatched memory channels, and RAID 0 hard drives, which is a terrible idea in a laptop.  So it's not a good configuration, but it's the least bad configuration that I could find.  

But it's £874.80 inc VAT, and you get last generation's top of the line video card, and performance about on par with a GeForce GTX 460M or 560M.  The processor is older and a dual core, but it's still 32 nm, so the performance per watt should be pretty good.  And it's more or less on clearance.

Well atleast US has bigger range of laptops than whole Europe i would say.

And Quizzical, thanks . Everything would be all right if not i5 as you said all laptops will go quad core soon... I pretty much planing to have  this laptop for a long time. 

If i would  throw in some more quids I could  buy laptop from cyber power... As i estimated i could get this configuration for 950 of course there is one drawback...this configuration without windows 7 exchanged win7 to 4gb ram. Sacrafise has to be made...

ADAPTER: Universal AC-DC Adapter (P151HM)

BAGS: Free Deluxe Carrying Bag for 15.6 Inch Notebook

BATTERY: 8-cells Smart Lithium-Ion Battery Pack 76.96Wh (P151HM)

BLUETOOTH: None

CD: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive (P151HM)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Mobile Processor 2.00 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 2.80 GHz

FLASHMEDIA: Built-In 3in1 Media Reader

FREEBIE_CU1: FREE Game - Shogun 2 Coupon: Total War

HDMI: Built-in HDMI Port

IEEE_CARD: BUILT-IN 1394 IEEE FIREWIRE PORT

KEYBOARD: Built-in Keyboard

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory [+44] (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

MOTHERBOARD: Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard

MOUSE: BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD

NB_HEADSET: NONE

NB_TRAVELKIT: NONE

NETWORK: Built-in 100/1000 Mbps LAN Network

NOTEBOOK: Clevo P151HM Notebook 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 Display w/ Built-in 2.0 MP Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter

NOTEBOOK_COVER: Xplorer X6 Notebook Cover - Original Metallic Black

OS: NONE - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY(NO OVERCLOCKING AVALIABLE) [-59]

SECURITY: Built-in Biometric Fingerprint Sensor

SPEAKERS: NONE

UPS: None

USB: Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 2x USB3.0 Ports

USBHD: NONE

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1.5GB GDDR5 PCIe Video

WAP: NONE

WEBCAM1: Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam

WNC: MSI MN11BGN Wireless 802.11 b/g/n Range Network Card Adapter

WTV: None

XWNC: NONE

really need to think about it. 

So guys long time no see :) It has been almost one year i got my laptop. And i would like to say thanks to everyone whio helped me :) 

So i bought the laptop like this from cyber power uk : 

ADAPTER: Universal AC-DC Adapter (P151HM)
    BAGS: Free Deluxe Carrying Bag for 15.6 Inch Notebook
    BATTERY: 8-cells Smart Lithium-Ion Battery Pack 76.96Wh (P151HM)
    BLUETOOTH: None
    CD: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive (P151HM)
    FLASHMEDIA: Built-In 3in1 Media Reader
    FREEBIE_CU1: FREE Game - Shogun 2 Coupon: Total War
    HDMI: Built-in HDMI Port
    IEEE_CARD: BUILT-IN 1394 IEEE FIREWIRE PORT
    KEYBOARD: Built-in Keyboard
    MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory [+44] (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
    MOTHERBOARD: Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard
    MOUSE: BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD
    NB_HEADSET: NONE
    NB_TRAVELKIT: NONE
    NETWORK: Built-in 100/1000 Mbps LAN Network
    NOTEBOOK: Clevo P151HM Notebook 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 Display w/ Built-in 2.0 MP Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter
    NOTEBOOK_COVER: Xplorer X6 Notebook Cover - Original Metallic Black
    OS: NONE - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY(NO OVERCLOCKING AVALIABLE) [-59]
    SECURITY: Built-in Biometric Fingerprint Sensor
    SPEAKERS: NONE
    UPS: None
    USB: Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 2x USB3.0 Ports
    USBHD: NONE
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1.5GB GDDR5 PCIe Video
    WAP: NONE
    WEBCAM1: Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam
    WNC: MSI MN11BGN Wireless 802.11 b/g/n Range Network Card Adapter
    WTV: None
    XWNC: NONE

And all i have to say about that laptop that its everything i wanteded. Its powerful enough to run new games on decent graphics.   I encountered some problems with overheating and screen starting to flicker because of nvidia video card. But to fix this problem i just turn off the pc for 5 mins and its good to go again  :)) This mostly accured after 2-3 days continuous running.

As you know i ordered computer from cyberpower uk. Service they gave me was pretty decent. Altho sometimes support didint even wrote back to my questions by email. But team at forums asnwered all my questions. Anyway the delivary was delayed but after the delay they delivered the pc in 1 day. All this was due the fact that they had lack of people there at the momment. So i cant blame them can i? Despite all of this i would be glad to use their service again :) 

I hope someone will find this post useful in the future :) 

Thanks guys for help and if someone have other questions go ahead :)