Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

played Vanguard and WoW together and found Vanguard superior

eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Well actually I would play Van for 1 hour and wow for 1 hour and even though I am a casual player it seemed Van had more going for it for example---Diplomacy a nice change from the questing , a much better and more challenging crafting system, a much better PvE system the monsters are actually challenging and that makes for more engageing play.  Graphics to me are good in both games but not great, wow runs smootheer with less lag however that did not deter me, Vanguard is so much more in depth than wow.

At first I thought Vanguard was for Hard core players but how wrong I was i have played til lvl 15 in both games and in wow I grouped a couple times even though i did not have to, in Vanguard I grouped twice and had an enjoyable time allthough I had to turn down my graphics, it si not difficult yet to solo Vanguard especially with my Pally.  WoW is not a terrible game but I found a dullness to it that i did not find in Van.  I will keeep going to lvl 25 to see if anything changes

Comments

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

+1 :)

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

Glad you like VG, it actually gets "hard" when you get to ~30 and start doing Vol'Tuniel and the other dungeons. Solo wise, I dont even know how to play or where to quest, I've always played vanguard with atleast 1 friend or online buddies. VG is a group based pve mmo.

• ajvegaajvega Member Posts: 10

Im not playing anything at the moment and im so tempted to re-sub Vanguard. I didnt have a good rig when it first came out and struggled alot , but even so the world was so huge and immersive i didnt care if i hitched or lagged.
    We used to be on the team pvp EU server Frengrot or Frengot? i forget now, anyway... this game had me hooked for hours and even days without sleep. Before the Isle of Dawn and easy travel and easy gold i started in Tursh, found my way a bit then met some nice other players and off we went. Trouble was we skipped all the dungeons on a mad quest to get to lvl 50. Im so sad ive not even seen half that game, only Dungeons i have done is Trengal Keep and a bit of Port Warehouse.
    So im in two minds ... do i re-sub to go and have a go at all these cool things, or is the population so low it wouldnt even happen and i will basically be soloing another toon to 50?
    Oh yeah and i now do have a good rig.. Vanguard on a SSD=win

• HachiroHachiro Member Posts: 92

Its a cardinal rule of MMO acceptance. If you want to fit in asap, just bad mouth WOW and you will be an instant hit with the community of new MMO of your choice.

Heso o kamedomo oyobanu -- Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

• wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by Hachiro

Its a cardinal rule of MMO acceptance. If you want to fit in asap, just bad mouth WOW and you will be an instant hit with the community of new MMO of your choice.

Funny I didnt see anyone here "badmouthing" WoW. the OP just stated after playing both together they prefered Vanguard.

OP I do too ;)

and to Vega there are a couple of great guilds on the Telon server who really take the time to help new players out and also do fun events such as  fishing contests (you can win a boat) and other fun events great community there really!

• HachiroHachiro Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by wolvie3131

Funny I didnt see anyone here "badmouthing" WoW. the OP just stated after playing both together they prefered Vanguard.
    OP I do too ;)
    and to Vega there are a couple of great guilds on the Telon server who really take the time to help new players out and also do fun events such as  fishing contests (you can win a boat) and other fun events great community there really!

Of course you didn't see it. It is a very common thing to do nothing new. I have been playing Vanguard for one year now and not even once i thought that there is even any reason to compare it with WOW.

Heso o kamedomo oyobanu -- Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

dont be afraid to ask for help or to group. AND find a guild asap. even when im in the middle of nowhere, the guildchat makes me feel as im not completely alone. its also great for questions to be answered and for grouping for mid to higher level objectives.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ReprobateReprobate Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by ajvega

Im not playing anything at the moment and im so tempted to re-sub Vanguard. I didnt have a good rig when it first came out and struggled alot , but even so the world was so huge and immersive i didnt care if i hitched or lagged.

We used to be on the team pvp EU server Frengrot or Frengot? i forget now, anyway... this game had me hooked for hours and even days without sleep. Before the Isle of Dawn and easy travel and easy gold i started in Tursh, found my way a bit then met some nice other players and off we went. Trouble was we skipped all the dungeons on a mad quest to get to lvl 50. Im so sad ive not even seen half that game, only Dungeons i have done is Trengal Keep and a bit of Port Warehouse.

So im in two minds ... do i re-sub to go and have a go at all these cool things, or is the population so low it wouldnt even happen and i will basically be soloing another toon to 50?

Just a warning, there is no more pvp in vg. They merged the pvp server into a pve one. While the game is still alot of fun I thought I would throw out a warning incase you were expecting to enjoy some of that awesome vg pvp.

• ajvegaajvega Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Reprobate

Just a warning, there is no more pvp in vg. They merged the pvp server into a pve one. While the game is still alot of fun I thought I would throw out a warning incase you were expecting to enjoy some of that awesome vg pvp.

no no i just want to do dungeons that i have never seen, the pvp aspect has no consequence as its not there

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Yes if I continue with Vanguard I will prob get a solid state hd because it always seems as if my hard drive is catching up to what is happening in game

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

That's some pretty mild badmouthing by the standards of MMO gamers.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by wolvie3131

OP I do too ;)

Of course you didn't see it. It is a very common thing to do nothing new. I have been playing Vanguard for one year now and not even once i thought that there is even any reason to compare it with WOW.

It might be common but I think the fact the OP is actively paying and playing both games makes it fair for him to compare the two :P

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

1 hour?lol!nothing happens in one hour!you barely get out of start area in one hour be it in wow or rift

endgame is where it is at !even pvp start only at lvl 10 lol

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by drbaltazar

1 hour?lol!nothing happens in one hour!you barely get out of start area in one hour be it in wow or rift

endgame is where it is at !even pvp start only at lvl 10 lol

You won't get a comprehensive understanding of an MMO in an hour, it's true, but first impressions are only made once.  So you may not, in that time, have given the MMO in question a "fair shake" as it were, but you can certainly get an impression of whether you like it or not.

Besides, in an hour of WoW you can get to, what, level 30 now?  :)

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Actually you would be surprised at what you can acomplish in an hour, now sometime in order to complete a quest I will go an extra half hour, its kind of whacky going from one to the other back and forth but you get a great idea on what is good and bad- In wow you really fly through the levels-the mobs are very easy and crafting is a snap, in Van its slow going but very satisfying and takes more thought , diplomacy brings a whole new sphere to the table a card game that is integrated into the main game not like an after thought as in EQ2 , I am now at lvel 17 for wow and still 15 for van, I will have to increase the amount of time I am playing wow otherwise I will be at cap way befor van

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I just played through the trial and while I found the originality of some things refreshing, the overall game was boring. The visuals and animations looked nice, but combat is extremely slow and repetetive. The help was very minimal and I couldnt find a reference for doing simple things. Diplomacy made no sense at all.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

WoW amazing story OP.  Let me tell you mine.

I played both games and found them both to be shit.  

Full Sail University - Game Design

• XciserXciser Member UncommonPosts: 102

i was actually interested in trying this game.... is it p2p atm?   I heard its rather old and it seems a trend that older games are shutting servers down.  I would hate to get into a game then see it shut down.  Is there a trial or something someone could send my way?

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by matf91

i was actually interested in trying this game.... is it p2p atm?   I heard its rather old and it seems a trend that older games are shutting servers down.  I would hate to get into a game then see it shut down.  Is there a trial or something someone could send my way?

vanguardonline.com

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by matf91

Well, it's not shutting down just yet as sony is planning two updates during this year.

You should just try it and, with an open mind as sometimes it can be a bit creaky, see what it's about.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

vanguard and wow two great games.

one thing i do like about wow is the art work the look of the game world it feels like warcraft. but to easy to play dont know about top lv not got there yet but to me wow has got soul and a sense of adventure rhat i like

vanguard loads of classes to chose from a big world to  get lost in, great group dungeons, no real game support from soe nothing to look forward to expansion wise not much in content updates.

if it did get updates/ xpansion packs etc it would be a great game. to me vanguard is the last of the true mmorpgs and could be a aa if soe put some work into the game.

just dont train wreck it like eq2 do not make it like wow. we already have wow dont need two.

• HooahHooah Member Posts: 17

sony may be "planning updates" for vanguard but believe it when its released, sony's main focus is going towards    planetside 2 and everquest next without question so dont expect much love for vanguard