Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games you bought with bad reviews that turned out to be good games..

NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Divine Divinity 2 Eco Draconis.. Pc version was great IMO..

Drakengsang The Dark Eye-River Of Time.. One of the best old type RPG i have ever played..

Comments

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Anarchy Online, it took some time to fix it up, but I loved that game.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Shenmue comes to mind immediately.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by NightAngell

Drakengsang The Dark Eye-River Of Time.. One of the best old type RPG i have ever played..

Im with you i got both and enjoyed it greatly!

Btw here in holland it got 8.5 score divinity 2 so not that bad:)

Drakensang is great game very under rated:(

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Foomerang

Sometimes I wonder if you're me because I agree with almost everything you say lol, my favorite game of all time.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Shenmue was first release on Dreamcast offcorse becouse its a Sega game and got in japan as well here in europe a 9/10+ score and was verywell recieved by writing press as well by gaming community back then.

Originally posted by Groovydutch

Shenmue was first release on Dreamcast offcorse becouse its a Sega game and got in japan as well here in europe a 9/10+ score and was verywell recieved by writing press as well by gaming community back then.

Yeah I do remember it getting good scores. Doesn't change the fact it was awesome hehe.

For me it would probably be Two Worlds 1&2, while I see why they received bad scores VO, story etc.. I still enjoyed them for the most part.

I guess where Im coming from with Shenmue was that it had a huge budget and didnt sell enough to make its money back. It had a lot of good reviews from a lot of dedicated gaming sites and mags. And of course the player reviews were amazing because most of us were Sega diehards at the time. But it didnt connect with the general gaming public and that hurt the game and possibly served as a premature nail in the coffin for the Dreamcast.

Originally posted by Malickie

Sometimes I wonder if you're me because I agree with almost everything you say lol, my favorite game of all time.

Yeah I read your posts and say "me too" all the time. We probably crossed paths in SWG and didnt even know it heh.

Yeah I read your posts and say "me too" all the time. We probably crossed paths in SWG and didnt even know it heh.

Ha, possibly, possibly. We'll probably cross paths in TOR as well.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I loved Tabula Rasa (reviews were mediocre, not terrible)

I liked Auto Assault (though technically i didn't buy it, just played beta).

I liked Fallen Earth (again, not terrible, but mediocre reviews).

I am still enjoying Global Agenda (although again, i didn't technically purchase it).

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Ha, possibly, possibly. We'll probably cross paths in TOR as well.

i dont doubt it.
  • rangharranghar Member UncommonPosts: 145

Alpha Protocol, Deadly Premonition(pretty much Twin Peaks the game), Mount & Blade(any of them)...All I can think of at the moment that got below 75 on metacritic that I really liked. 

Ranghar LoD
    Lords of Death

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

On Gamespot DD2 is rated 7.5 by players.

Drakensang River of Time is rated 8.1 by players, and The Dark Eye is 7.9

Not sure if those count as bad reviews. If so, then yes I've played a lot of games with reviews in the 7.0-8.2 range that I thoroughly enjoyed.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Eveonline had bad reviews at start before anyone knew what it was, i was in the early stages of beta and it was far from the game it is today .

• rangharranghar Member UncommonPosts: 145

Originally posted by Golelorn

On Gamespot DD2 is rated 7.5 by players.

Drakensang River of Time is rated 8.1 by players, and The Dark Eye is 7.9

Not sure if those count as bad reviews. If so, then yes I've played a lot of games with reviews in the 7.0-8.2 range that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Of course those games are loved by the players, but I know that DD2 got some pretty awful reviews. It is sitting below 75 on metacritic. They announced that Alpha Protocol won't be seeing a sequel because it got below 80 on metacritic. That is what people consider bad reviews these days. I feel Alpha Protocol was very well written and if they made a second one they would fix the annoying aspects of the action sequences and it would be an amazing game.....but meh.

Ranghar LoD
    Lords of Death

• extolroxextolrox Member Posts: 22

Well Mirror's Edge comes to mind for me it was not as well recieved as our beloved Shenmue.  Another good game was Alice that wasn't well recieved until a year after it hit the $10 bin have been wanting to play the new one.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Alpha Protocol was/is a game i did enjoy a lot i never understood why it got such bad ratings

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Probably Lineage 2. I remember reading it got a 6 in the magazine I was reading at the time, and I thought it looked pretty cool so I picked it up that day. Glad I did, I loved that game, and still do.

• taulutussitaulutussi Member Posts: 37

Tom Clancy's HAWX. Because playing with your buddies on coop polishes any turd and this one was pretty good anyway with quite mediocre reviews. Basically any game that allows you to play the campaign in co-op is golden in my book.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Most recently; Tropico 3

It got mediocre reviews, and didn't generally sell well. Got a gold edition copy at GameStop for 10$ - incredible value.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by GTwander

Most recently; Tropico 3

It got mediocre reviews, and didn't generally sell well. Got a gold edition copy at GameStop for 10$ - incredible value.

Loved Tropico 3. Got it in Steam deal for less than £3. Thought the soundtrack was brilliant as well. Made me feel proper Castro.;)

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

FFXIV

I liked the idea of something different.

Bring on the flame.

Yeah I do remember it getting good scores. Doesn't change the fact it was awesome hehe.

For me it would probably be Two Worlds 1&2, while I see why they received bad scores VO, story etc.. I still enjoyed them for the most part.

I enjoyed Two worlds 1 alot but it was recieved badly by most i dare saying i even liked it alot more then Oblivion.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Hellgate: London. I never played the multiplayer, but the game is still on my hard drive. I admit between that and Borderlands, I almost always choose Borderlands, but Hellgate has some interesting mechanics and skill advancement.

Also, Lords of Magic: Special Edition had me up many a late night.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• JudasaceJudasace Member Posts: 53

Dragon Age 2. Turned out that it fixed pretty much all of the tedium and nonsense that I hated from the first one.