Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games you didn't buy based upon bad user/critic reviews

2»

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

As far as mmo's go I pretty much own a copy of everything currently in release. The only one I have not bought is FFXIV. And that was you guys and player feedback that turned me off the idear rather than reviews. A review no matter how well writen is just one persons opinion. They are very useful but I prefer to add in other factors before making decisions as to what and what not to spend my hard earned quids on.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Ausare

Dungeons?  Or whatever that knock off Dungeon Keeper game was that was recently released.

I bought that and thoroughly regret it.  It was successful enough to be able to pump out a suquel which will release soon o.o

I didnt buy nukem forever though..

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Too many to list. I also didnt buy some games based on positive feedback btw.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

To answer your question without a huge list, most of them. I have about 50 PC games in my library. I've traded and sold some, and some I never play, but this is over the course of about 20 years. In that time there's been hundreds, if not thousands, of games that looked interesting to me but that I passed up because of poor user/critic reviews. I don't have the time or the money to try them all and I do not pirate games.

However, that doesn't mean I wont try (or haven't tried) games with low scores. But my top eight favorite games of all time have had scores of 80% or better.

Going by metacritic averages:

1. Fallout 3/New Vegas - 91/84

2. Alpha Centauri - 92

3. Quake 2 - 89 (gamerankings.com)

4. Everquest - 85

5. World of Warcraft - 93

6. Team Fortress 2 - 92

7. Civilizations IV - 94

8. Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic - 82

Some recent games that have had good reviews that I passed up for one reason or another would be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Black-Ops, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, and Dragon Age 2.

I think the majority of reviewers do not have an agenda outside of informing the public. Most reviews I read have very little opinion in them. They say what is in the game, which mechanics work well, and which could use some improvement. The last two could be subjective, but I guess I'm just lucky that most reviewers "opinions" match my own. My favorite reviews to read include PCGamer, IGN, and Gamespot. Out of the hundres of review publications, those ones have steered me wrong the least.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

None ever. I read them for impressions, and I trust player reviews in aggregate much more than critic reviews, but if the game looks interesting, I am going to buy it and play it. People have different tastes, and you should never let someone else tell you if a game is good or not.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Many of course, but most notable include SWG, (Coaster of the year, CGW), UO (also a Coaster of the year), STO, DF, MO, Planetside, Fallen Earth (I eventually tried it a year after launch) just to name a few.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by jpnole

Duke Nukem Forever

15 years as vaporware is a pretty good indication that the final result can only disappoint, and you don't even need a critic's review to tell you so.

I don't pay a lot of attention to critic reviews, when in doubt I follow the fan chatter for a month or two before making a decision.  Not a guaranteed reliable method (there isn't any such thing), but we've all seen games with glowing critical reviews that sucked pretty badly.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by jpnole

Duke Nukem Forever

15 years as vaporware is a pretty good indication that the final result can only disappoint, and you don't even need a critic's review to tell you so.

I don't pay a lot of attention to critic reviews, when in doubt I follow the fan chatter for a month or two before making a decision.  Not a guaranteed reliable method (there isn't any such thing), but we've all seen games with glowing critical reviews that sucked pretty badly.

We can probably safely assume that for dungeon keeper 3 as well... :( 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

I never base my decision from reviews, if I read a review it is to get a feel for how the game plays not to take any notice of anothers opinion.  Some games I have really enjoyed took a panning in reviews other games gained glowing reviews and turned out to be ones I hated.

Besides most places review each game in isolation and their scores are not comparitive.   One game could score a 6 because to that reviewer 6 is an average score, the next reviewer could consider 6 to be "the bare minimum" and so rate that game at a 7 or 8.

The other aspect is that reviewers are under massive pressure to do their review fast and so often they dont get time to play a game for more than a few hours, the depth or lack of it in a game is rarely exposed due to the reviews needing to be done quick in order to be relevant for the public release.

So no I have never bought a game based on reviews alone, If I am sure I will enjoy a game, I buy it, if it then turns out to be tripe that developer gets a strike, a second strike means I am no longer buying any of your games untill they are on sale.  However if a studio makes quality games then I will buy them on day 1. 

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

If I don't get into a beta, I don't buy the game, period.  I don't trust anyone to try to tell me what I like and don't like.  I've found that those I game with on a regular basis, I don't agree most of the time on games.  No one else's opinion should matter on a game but your own.

Power to the Sheeple

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Dark and Light

EQ2

Vanguard

Tabla Rasa

Asherons Call 2

Anarchy Online

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Planetside

Champions Online

Eve

DCUO

STO

Alganon

Rubies of Eventide

Runescape

Star Wars Galaxies

Auto Assault

Are all games I never played based on mostly user feedback, some of it was based on critic reviews but most was the players that played and quit.  Saved me a ton of money by following some of the gamer forums when mostly negative feedback is given I stay away.  I have yet to ever play an MMO that recieved alot of bad publicity that I felt was a good game, games like WoW, Asherons Call (original), Dark Age of Camelot and City of Heroes recieved very little negative word of mouth reviews therefore its no surprise that ive spent the majority of my MMO time in those 4 games.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Well, the more interesting list would be "games I chose to play besides hordes of self-proclaimed 'gamers' talking them down on the web"... But I guess I'll have to take the thread as is so the answer is

NONE

Because I have yet to encounter a game that isn't fun for at least some days. The closest it'll probably get would be Bioshock 2. I played part 1 and was half-expecting part 2 to be short and dragging the franchise for monetary purposes only. So I did what I always do, wait 6-12 months and grab it for 5 bucks from some budget pyramid. Was better than I expected though, as most of the time.

I'll add my list of games I bought and had fun although people said "keep your hands off":

- Star Trek Online (kept me for 8 weeks, those were fun, flying all the classics, well invested compared to games like FEAR 3 that are over in one evening)

- Dragon Age 2 (Well once you get over the 'aw it's not like origins at aaaaall' DA2 is a decent enough game, nice storytelling, vivid characters, well worth the 15 bucks from the budget pyramid [after 2 months])

- Hunted: The Demons Forge. It's a craptastik gears of war ripoff. But its fun, at least for one playthrough. And I got it for 25 bucks from a guy who never even installed it after reading some reviews. Idiot.

So well call me low on expectations or easy to please but I really like most games, so most of the time I can get some fun out of games other people angrily throw back into their shelves.

Oh yea, and no, I don't expect _any_ MMO to keep my interest for longer than a couple of months. These days are just over, I don't do guild obligations and farming and all that s**t anymore. The only game that doesn't hate you for being offline for 6 weeks is EvE, so I'll probably stay subbed there till it shuts the hell down...

M

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Dark and Light

EQ2

Vanguard

Tabla Rasa

Asherons Call 2

Anarchy Online

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Planetside

Champions Online

Eve

DCUO

STO

Alganon

Rubies of Eventide

Runescape

Star Wars Galaxies

Auto Assault

You know, there are people who's say that you listed some really awesome games, if I had passed on EVE, CO, SWG, Vanguard and EQ2 I'd probably miss some of the most immersive, fun and awe-inspiring moments of all my MMO times...

Especially EVE is something I personally think, as a gamer, you gotta have to experience. You'll probably find out after 3 weeks that you hate it and it sucks and all. But just as the unique game it is it's worth experiencing. 

M

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Dragon age 2

Dungeon siege 3

Duke nukem

And im still glad i did not buy those games.

I dont buy games btw that need steam, EA-Origin or soon Ubisoft PASSPORT.

I hate DRM.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by Meridion

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Dark and Light

EQ2

Vanguard

Tabla Rasa

Asherons Call 2

Anarchy Online

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Planetside

Champions Online

Eve

DCUO

STO

Alganon

Rubies of Eventide

Runescape

Star Wars Galaxies

Auto Assault

You know, there are people who's say that you listed some really awesome games, if I had passed on EVE, CO, SWG, Vanguard and EQ2 I'd probably miss some of the most immersive, fun and awe-inspiring moments of all my MMO times...

Especially EVE is something I personally think, as a gamer, you gotta have to experience. You'll probably find out after 3 weeks that you hate it and it sucks and all. But just as the unique game it is it's worth experiencing. 

M

Asherons call 2 was awesome, Darkfall also superb game.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Earthrise comes to mind, followed it for years then stopped paying attention to it until it came out, then it bombed.  I don't usually tend to listen to the critics simply because I like to form my own opinion.

• JudasaceJudasace Member Posts: 53

Dungeon Siege 3

EQ2

Rift

Fable III

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Recentely i bought Gods and Heroes after people slated it and i found it quite enjoyable..only thing wrong is that there is not enough content atm.i dont generally listen to peoples reviews mainly because in some way or other most are quite biased.and another point is that just because someone does,nt like a game ,it does,nt mean its a bad game,it means that its just not for them.