Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It is time to fight back and save what we love!

Comments

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by redpet241

I have started a steam based group with the intent of boycotting SWTOR because it is obvious that the reason SWG is being shut down is to divert players into that game to make more money. If sony and Lucas arts will not listen to petitions then we as dedicated players of SWG must not allow our voices to be heard and must spring to action in the hope of rescueing something we love. We have a few months to rally enough support for this boycott so spread the word quickly.

Redpet241.

The steam group is Save SWG boycott SWTOR

I think it is kind of cute but it will never ever work

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by someforumguy

It doesnt matter that SWG doesnt have the playernumbers that might hurt SWTOR with a boycott. What matters is that if you do care about SWG, you dont just roll over and accept. Make a riot out of it. It is clear that enough players want to keep SWG alive to make it stay viable. The fact that LA doesnt support this because they want to squeeze every single player they can into SWTOR by any means necessary, just shows they dont give a shit about their fans. This has to get through to the media.

Also ignore the disgruntled preNGE vets that are now gloating over SWG's closure. Everyone knows they would like to kill off SWG regardless of how many players still like SWG.

Cheers!

Great post

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I have started a steam based group with the intent of boycotting SWTOR because it is obvious that the reason SWG is being shut down is to divert players into that game to make more money. If sony and Lucas arts will not listen to petitions then we as dedicated players of SWG must not allow our voices to be heard and must spring to action in the hope of rescueing something we love. We have a few months to rally enough support for this boycott so spread the word quickly.

Redpet241.

I'm sorry but this is not the first time that something has been killed off for something new. It's been happening since.... well.... I think the beginning of time. It sucks, but sometimes you must go out with the old and in with the new, no matter if the new is worse then the old, which is sometimes the case. I'm sure if LA was making any money off of SWG, they would not allow it to be killed, but I can't see that they are. 

Good luck to you guys though. I tried to fight and save Shadowbane back in the day, so I know what you're going through. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by superniceguy

It doesnt matter that SWG doesnt have the playernumbers that might hurt SWTOR with a boycott. What matters is that if you do care about SWG, you dont just roll over and accept. Make a riot out of it. It is clear that enough players want to keep SWG alive to make it stay viable. The fact that LA doesnt support this because they want to squeeze every single player they can into SWTOR by any means necessary, just shows they dont give a shit about their fans. This has to get through to the media.

Also ignore the disgruntled preNGE vets that are now gloating over SWG's closure. Everyone knows they would like to kill off SWG regardless of how many players still like SWG.

Cheers!

Great post

Did you really just quote your own post and then congratulate yourself? 

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by TUX426

December 15th, 2011. You need to accept that date and move on bud - what you're suggesting isn't healthy, nor helpful. It was a game. You need to get over it and move on.

Yep. SWG is dead. The funeral will be held on 15 December 2011 at midnight.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

It is too bad SWG was a superior game to SWTOR, at least back in the day. It is sad when the decent gets replaced by the horrible. Though, I have to admit, it has been a LONG time since I have played SWG.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Daffid011

Cheers!

Great post

LMFAO!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I have started a steam based group with the intent of boycotting SWTOR because it is obvious that the reason SWG is being shut down is to divert players into that game to make more money.

Ok, you have fun with that.  Be home before dark.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Originally posted by kakasaki

To quote Alexander Bell:

“When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” 

Stop being so afraid of change people. Don't forget what Yoda says:

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

me gusta :)

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by MattVid

It is too bad SWG was a superior game to SWTOR, at least back in the day. It is sad when the decent gets replaced by the horrible. Though, I have to admit, it has been a LONG time since I have played SWG.

Superior? You have played SWTOR?

Originally posted by Daffid011

Cheers!

Great post

Nope, posting with multiple accounts on these forums gets you banned

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Its over.  Let it go.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186

Pre NGE? I did not know Galaxies had any love left.  If a Pre NGE buiild then you have my vote

• DianicDianic Member Posts: 69

Seriously.  He's right... let it go.  One of these days, you're going to have to give in and stop using that Betamax, too.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

the players have fought with far greater vehemence in the past, and they were ignored, completely.. does anyone seriously think, that this late in the day, the few remaining complaints are going to make any difference? .... didnt think so...

it really is a shame, but its done with. its just time to join the rest in moving on..image

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by MattVid

I bet it has been even a LONGER time since you played SWTOR... image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

If every SWG player boycotts SWTOR, that might take away 0.01% of their player base (if that).  I doubt LucasArts or Bioware are too concerned.

December 15th, 2011. You need to accept that date and move on bud - what you're suggesting isn't healthy, nor helpful. It was a game. You need to get over it and move on.

Actually it is healthy, as it gets it out of your system, and you can then move on.  It is better to have tried and done something, than not do anything at all and just accept it. As after you have tried something, and it doesn't work then you know you have done your best. If you do nothing, then once it is gone, and after Dec 15th it will be too late, and you will always wonder if SWG could have been saved if you've done something, and continue to make yourself depressed for the rest of life.

What someforumguy posted was exactly what I needed to read, as someone finally sympthises and understands. Need to hear more of it to be honest, as is now lost in the following knowitall posts from people who do not really know it all

I am totally getting sick and tired of reading posts saying "Get over it", it just makes me hate the closure and SWTOR even more, and is doing nothing but give me more headaches

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Actually it is healthy, as it gets it out of your system, and you can then move on.  It is better to have tried and done something, than not do anything at all and just accept it. As after you have tried something, and it doesn't work then you know you have done your best. If you do nothing, then once it is gone, and after Dec 15th it will be too late, and you will always wonder if SWG could have been saved if you've done something, and continue to make yourself depressed for the rest of life.

What someforumguy posted was exactly what I needed to read, as someone finally sympthises and understands. Need to hear more of it to be honest, as is now lost in the following knowitall posts from people who do not really know it all

I am totally getting sick and tired of reading posts saying "Get over it", it just makes me hate the closure and SWTOR even more, and is doing nothing but give me more headaches

Glad you made it to Acceptance so quickly...  image

Five Stages Of Grief

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• apollobsg75apollobsg75 Member Posts: 66
    If both SWG players boycott SWTOR, I think Bioware will do just fine..
  • RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

{author edit}

I was being a douche and ripping on the OP simply because I myself was a little bitter to have received a rather non-commital text from a Central Asian chick I dated at the weekend.

Do whatever you have to do to get to the 'Acceptance' stage to allow yourself some closure.

Peace.

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Then my advice for you is to step slowly away from the keyboard . You're taking this whole gaming business just a little too seriously. Every MMORPG in existence will close down at some point, it's only a question of when.

And once again, TOR has nothing to do with SWG closing down. If you want to lay the blame at someone , lay it at SOE's feet. They were the ones who released a game with multiple bugs and broken systems. They were the ones who broke the IP's rules by allowing jedi into the game.They were the ones who pissed on the loyal fanbase that stuck with them despite all the flaws and changed the game into a piss poor version of WOW. It's not Bioware's fault that SOE screwed up one of the most popular IPs of all time. Put out a crappy product,treat your customers like garbage, word will get around and your business will be finished. That's just Business 101. Sorry. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

Originally posted by Phry

boycotting SW:TOR for the sake of SWG would not only be pointless.. it would be a complete waste of time.. it really is time to move on.image

This!

It's just a game - get over it already.

Punishing BioWare OR Lucas Arts for what SOE does, doesn't solve anything. Smedley is responsible for not renewing the license - he has publicly admitted it was a MUTUAL decission - he was not forced into anything.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Smedley would accept ANY blame if it could be avoided, do you?! (OP, not you Phry)

I'm guessing Smedley was hoping to renew the license for SWG for a cheaper price due to the smaller population SWG has, but I'm guessing LucasArts wouldn't lower the price so SOE decided the money wasn't worth the amount of players that are left in SWG...

Oh BTW, to all the people who are upset that SWG is ending, well welcome to the Vet's world when they changed  SWG into the NGE.... know you guys know how we felt back then....

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I have started a steam based group with the intent of boycotting SWTOR because it is obvious that the reason SWG is being shut down is to divert players into that game to make more money.

/facepalm

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Redpet241.

LOL SWG is being shut down because the contract for the liscensing rights expired, and Bioware was willing to pay more for the liscense than SOE was.

The reason that SWTOR launches on the 20th is because SWG liscense expires on the 15th, so expect the headstart to start no sooner than the 15th otherwise they would technically be violating the liscensing contract, unless of course they have received permission to start it a little earlier.