Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 - Summary/How concerned are you?

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by Nerf09

Originally posted by DM19

Originally posted by EndDream

If planetside 2 is a well made COD clone thats an open world with thousands of players.. COUNT ME IN!

It won't work.  Vehicles are overpowered in these FPS.

I don't play them so not sure how you mean OP but if you get shot in the face by a tank and live something is wrong there.

It means vehicles are overpowered, tempting everyone to hang out in the area where the vehicles spawn. (battlefield 2)

Ooooh ok yeah they did that in PS a lot to its what i liked to call OS bait lol

No.  In Planetside half the infantry didn't hang around the vehicle spawn waiting for 1 overpowered tank to spawn, and shoot each other when another hopped in.

...and there's nothing lol about OS, CUD abilities destroyed the game.

Well, they didn't fight at vehicle spawn for specific tank per se. But they sure as hell fought to get to the terminal and be first in queu for one. I've seen plenty of noobs stabbing people in the back while running to vehicle terminal after a cap. Also, yeah, when there were 15 - 30+ players around an outside vehicle terminal, it was huge OS bait. Also good Liberator bait.

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

I don't see a lot of value in SOE games anymore. 

Planetside 2 sounds awesome, but i'll let the early adopters enthusiasm fizzle out, and SoE to release some of their DLC for it before deciding if its gonna be worth it.

I might be the only one that feels this way.

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by Revivial

Planetside 2 sounds awesome, but i'll let the early adopters enthusiasm fizzle out, and SoE to release some of their DLC for it before deciding if its gonna be worth it.

Personally, I got my entertainment value back within the first week of purchasing Planetside. Not even the first free month. WIth a game that's just about 100% based on gameplay, you will probably be able to tell whether it's worth at least half a year just by the massive ammount of gameplay videos that will be either leaked, or released impending release.

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by denshing

Originally posted by Revivial

Personally, I got my entertainment value back within the first week of purchasing Planetside. Not even the first free month. WIth a game that's just about 100% based on gameplay, you will probably be able to tell whether it's worth at least half a year just by the massive ammount of gameplay videos that will be either leaked, or released impending release.

I am an easy sell when it comes to video games, but I don't like it when i feel like i'm being taken advantage of.

Its a perception thing, and it wouldn't be the first great game experience I missed out on because of my apprehension.

I don't want to fall in love with something, and then feel like i'm being nickle and dimed to death because of that love.  Better to save yourself the hurt and vet it before regretting it.

Branding is not just a Jeep in Egypt.

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

A good chunk of players don't stick around for games anymore. It would be extraordinary if this game didn't do well at first and then peeter out.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the three-faction battles the most. My concerns are the number of servers and limits to how many characters can fight in certain areas at one time. And of course whether or not it will be Pay to Win.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

If planetside 2 is a well made COD clone thats an open world with thousands of players.. COUNT ME IN!

I don't play them so not sure how you mean OP but if you get shot in the face by a tank and live something is wrong there.

It means vehicles are overpowered, tempting everyone to hang out in the area where the vehicles spawn. (battlefield 2)

No.  In Planetside half the infantry didn't hang around the vehicle spawn waiting for 1 overpowered tank to spawn, and shoot each other when another hopped in.

Did you start player later on in the games life? as when i was playing seeing 15-30 standing there was the norm. Been shot at to when some randon person jumps in a squad mates veh and boots him.

OS were a joke they only killed the stupid so no it didn't have anything to do with PS downfall. BFR's in a way did only as to many people were to lazy to learn how easy they were to kill or just not willing to work as a team.

Planetside is not Battlefield 2 where the only tank available is an overpowered kill machine.  Turning Planetside 2 into battlefield2 with just a bigger map would be a big mistake.

And CUD abilities destroyed the game.

Originally posted by denshing

AMS are still in.

You have permanemt base on each continent ie- Continental sanc. It's the same thing really, minus load screen and wait times. Waiting 10 then 5 minutes to arbitrarily drop into another planet/continent was not what I personally considered one of the coolest aspects, and continental sancs were actually removed based on player dislike of it.

You can still hotdrop into action.

If there's no sanctuary where's the defeated side suppose to spawn in?

Originally posted by wormywyrm

Do you guys really think that vehicle balancing or people waiting at the vehicle terminals was a problem in PS1?  I played both when it was first released and occassionally after that and I didn't hear much complaining.  There has always been some things overbalanced, but in general vehicles were not.

In fact, I liked how in PS1 there was a sort of 'primary fight' and secondary fight.  So if you were in a tank, there were fights going on all around you, but enemy foot soldiers were only easy to kill if they were exposed.  The smart ones saw you and used trees, etc for cover.  If you were air, you couldnt take down foot soldiers very easily because you would have to stop too long to do it and anti aircraft would take you down.  If you were a sniper, you were primarily concerned with enemy snipers, and if you focused too much on trying to kill enemy soldiers it was not only very difficult because if they were good they would hide or dodge you, but the enemy snipers would take you out if you did not attend to them first.

So although you are in a massive battle, only about 25% of your enemies are really a threat to you, and they are your primary concern.  Depending on your role, the enemies that are a threat may or may not be the enemies you are targetting to kill.  It added a lot of depth to the gameplay and allowed the battles to be massive without making them overwhelming or overly confusing.  I could see people fighting everywhere, but I didn't have to 'worry' about all of them.

Which is allot different then Battlefield2 where 1 helicopter or tank rampages across the terrain killing everything.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Did you start player later on in the games life? as when i was playing seeing 15-30 standing there was the norm. Been shot at to when some randon person jumps in a squad mates veh and boots him.

OS were a joke they only killed the stupid so no it didn't have anything to do with PS downfall. BFR's in a way did only as to many people were to lazy to learn how easy they were to kill or just not willing to work as a team.

Planetside is not Battlefield 2 where the only tank available is an overpowered kill machine.  Turning Planetside 2 into battlefield2 with just a bigger map would be a big mistake.

CUD abilities were equally available to all factions and easily avoided unless you were braindead. They did not destroy the game, the real damage was from the BFR's and the CC expansion.

Vehicles did not own in planetside, about 60% of my kills were from my Starfire shooting down Reavers, Mosquitos, Gals etc etc. Also, engineers would mine the crap out of bases preventing any land vehicle getting into the courtyard. You'd have to get out and fight and those who specced heavily in infantry had better armour, more weapon choices etc in that situation.

MAX units were ace, but Strikers etc would own any max in a few shots and MAX couldn't repair themselves, that required engineers.

Paper>Rock>Scissors. Any vehicle could own infantry, but any engineer or AV/AA MAX could own any vehicle, any HA/AV/AA infantry could own any MAX or engineer etc etc.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ersingibleersingible Member Posts: 70

"SOE" is usually the part where I stop reading.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I will be concerned if they do not state categorically that they won't use a cash shop for this game

In a PvP MMO the last thing you want is having people "cheating" by buying powerful equipment from a shop.

Other than that, IF I know that a cash shop is not going to happen, I will give P2 a go, even if I don't like SoE

Since I played Global Agenda I've been interested in this genre

Problem with GA is that is not so much of a MMO, so I am looking for P2 or Firefall to deliver a MMOFPS in a seamless world.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I don't have faith in SoE, but I sure do hope they do this game justice.

That's right, vehicles were not overpowered kill machines like in Battlefield 2.

And CUD abilities did destroy the game, it promoted rank-grind and dumbed down the game.  The game was very fun when it first came out because very few had CUD ability cheats.

*  Reveal enemies:  Recon as a tactic is off the table, and so is stealth.

*  I-win nuke button from space:  This effect is a nerf to the infantry spawn points (AMS), meaning AV had to be buffed in response.  Infantry are suppose to be flexible, and that flexibility comes from their spawn point, not from AV weapons which gives them parity with armor.

*  I-win nuke button with wide area that destroys all CE:  CE is for setting up defensive areas with landmines and spitfires, hitting an I-win button destroying all defenses removes DEFENSE as a viable tactic.  And with no DEFENSE there is no concentration of force, economy of force........geez i'll list it all....

So in summary these are the tactics the CUD ability destroyed:  Force Concentration, Economy of Force, Force protection (defense), Defense in depth, Stealth, Recon, Deception, Field Works, Use of terrain, Fire Attacks, Ambush, Guerilla, Charge, Rapid Dominance-Blitzkrieg (groups of players in tanks and planes sitting on ground forming up would regularly get OS'ed), Rapid Dominance-Human Wave-Shock Tactics-Swarming, Trench raiding, Skirmish, Artillery, supporting fire, Armored Spearhead, Encirclement, Flanking, Interdiction, Counter-battery,....

"So why should I care about these real world military tactics?  I just want to shoot stuff."  Cause 24/7 Frontal Assault gets bland after about 2 months.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

The sad thing is that I imagined WH40K mmo to be just like Planetside when they first announced it... Sob. Just imagine what that would be like! Just imagine!!

On the other hand I was highly skeptical about Planetside Next. With SOE's track record I expected a watered-down "improved" mmo (read WoW-clone) that would feature mostly PvE (boss fights! yeeee!) and afterthought "balanced" PvP in some instanced boxes all wrapped up in some "epic" story no one gives a rat's ass about.

So far I must say Im extremely pleased with what I hear from Planetside 2. I'd imagine Soe would have to really go out of its way to seriously damage a design concept as tight and sound as this one. The only thing I really fear is their pricing model. F2P would be insta-death (yes, Smed, you were wrong about F2P) and subscription would turn off too many folks away (especially after GW2 launch.. i suspect subs will be a thing of the past after that). If they're already planing to sell the game as one-off purchase with regular paid expansions (GW/GW2 model) then imo PS2 has a very promising future.

• DM19DM19 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Sounds to me like you just hated the game and are trolling now. Your the only one that thinks CUD ruined the game here as well and as i stated befor onlythe stupid that stand in a os got killed and the mine clearing thing was on a long cooldown where as mines had none.

Sounds to me like you just hated the game and are trolling now. Your the only one that thinks CUD ruined the game here as well and as i stated befor onlythe stupid that stand in a os got killed and the mine clearing thing was on a long cooldown where as mines had none.

Doesn't matter if the I-win buttons have a long cooldown, players now have 5+ characters on the same server they grinded up to CR5.

And CUD abilities did destroy and dumbed down the game.

Is that what you wall want?  You want to Grind2Win, or Pay2Win like every other WOW-clone out there?

Doesn't matter if the I-win buttons have a long cooldown, players now have 5+ characters on the same server they grinded up to CR5.

And CUD abilities did destroy and dumbed down the game.

Is that what you wall want?  You want to Grind2Win, or Pay2Win like every other WOW-clone out there?

If you really have the time to put into 5+ toons to have cr5 and jump on everyone to OS then all the more power to them but over 5 years i only had one VS/TR/NC. I never did see any I-win button in ps OS didn't do next to anything. An AMS gets hit by an OS one more is close by or someone is trying to set a new one up just about right after or thats how it use to be. If you think about it a OS really is only of use to hit 3 things a veh bay with lot of people waiting and a 10 sec resapwn for them to all run back, a frontline witch most the time all but a few people move out of the way, or like stated an AMS witch again only buys maybe a few mins max for the enemy force. Now i'd like you to point out how the CUD in anyway ruined the game you keep saying it but with out pointing out just how it did.

If you really have the time to put into 5+ toons to have cr5 and jump on everyone to OS then all the more power to them but over 5 years i only had one VS/TR/NC. I never did see any I-win button in ps OS didn't do next to anything. An AMS gets hit by an OS one more is close by or someone is trying to set a new one up just about right after or thats how it use to be. If you think about it a OS really is only of use to hit 3 things a veh bay with lot of people waiting and a 10 sec resapwn for them to all run back, a frontline witch most the time all but a few people move out of the way, or like stated an AMS witch again only buys maybe a few mins max for the enemy force. Now i'd like you to point out how the CUD in anyway ruined the game you keep saying it but with out pointing out just how it did.

The regular OS is a nerf to infantry (infantry spawn point is the AMS), so the AV had to be buffed in response, which was a nerf to vehicles.  Also the regular OS regularly landed on a bunch of tanks or planes forming up or bunched up in one spot by the push of an I-win button.

*****The wonderful I-win button CUD abilities*****

Tactics the regular OS removed from the game:  Blitzkrieg, concentration of force, armored spearhead

Tactics reveal enemies removed from the game:  Recon, stealth, deception, economy of force

Tactics the EMP OS removed from the game:  Delay, defense, economy of force

Tactics CUD abilities in general removed from the game:  Counter-battery, artillery (why use regular old artillery that requires teamwork and skill when you can just hit your I-win button), ambush, infantry flexibility, interdiction

All that's left is Frontal Assault like every other FPS.  Weeee, play that for more than 2 months and tell me you don't get bored, if you don't get bored with that then I envy your ability to be so easily entertained. 

If you want a dumbed down game where you can't out-think your enemy, you can only out-grind your enemy then there is a long-list of games for that.  Why make another typical grind game?

From the real Planetside forums

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=88000027862

"Vehicles must have more staying power than in BF, it just creates more fun engagements. Giving infantry more presence on the outside battlefield (away from bases) should also be a priority to create the necessary variety, but they can do this without nerfing vehicles down to uselessness;"

When Planetside first came out and everyone didn't have 5+ characters with an OS I-win button, AMS's weren't being OS'ed as soon as they were deployed; infantry did have staying power (away from bases).  But then everyone started to get their I-win button and players stopped certing AMS out of frustration.  Then AV weapons were buffed which was really just a nerf to tanks.

So the end effect of the OS is nerfed vehicles and no infantry flexibility.  Battles became stale, static and predictable.

From Planetside forums

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=88000027901

In the current Planetside meta game, if it could be said to have any, strategy does not exist in any meaningful context anymore. This is due to two main reasons, each of which I’ll address in turn. The first is lack of any long term reward for empire success, and the second is the lack of empire loyalty.

Regarding Long Term Achievement

There is no motivation to anything in this game beyond personal and outfit achievement. Holding multiple bases on a continent or even multiple continents means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Sure, having Oshur, the caves, and the other continent bennies are nice, but ultimately they are only short-term achievements which in no way have lasting impact.

We all know this, so there is not much need to elaborate here. If you disagree, please demonstrate to me how there exists any form of reward to long-term dominance of any strategic element in this game.

Regarding Loyalty

Empires do not exist in any meaningful context anymore. There are three teams, each with their own distinct weaponry. Due to population bonuses (and penalties), in addition to the ability to have characters on all three empires, the lines between empires have been (intentionally) eroded from the first day Planetside opened its doors.

I blame this partly on the developers who have consistently and deliberately made it easier to play on multiple empires. Once this began to occur empire loyalty quickly diminished. Players are still loyal to their respective empires, but it is of a different breed. They are loyal in a micro sense. Players are loyal (in this sense, the empire they play most frequently) to any empire because of a few things: outfits/friends, stats, and weapons.

Beyond this, there is no lasting reason to be on any particular empire. If the fight is going poorly for your side there is essentially no incentive to remaining on that empire. You simply switch characters, and continue playing with no discernible difference to your experience. There is no incentive to improve things.

Impact

Looking at these two elements of gameplay, it is very clear that they are intertwined. Players lack empire loyalty because there is no incentive to do so. Combined, this ultimately means that Planetside's strategic element is a farce. It is nothing more than a large scale death match, with three teams who are only separated by their colors and weaponry. There needs to exist a system that rewards long term achievements and one that enforces empire loyalty, beyond simply getting continent benefits, that is substantial enough to impact strategic thinking on a regular basis.

This player's assessment is correct, his conclusion and solution is way off.

Actually this type of player behavior is the direct result of CUD abilities.  Get Command Rank to get your I-win CUD abilities, it's an alpha class like Jedi in SWG, so naturally it temps players to do nothing but grind for Command Rank, and the only way to get Command Rank is to be a squad leader when a base is captured.

So the name of the game is be a squad leader and capture bases and nothing else matters; this means sign onto the most populated side and start up a squad so you can grind out your Command Rank to get your I-win buttons.

The same thing happened in SWG.  The game was fine until players learned how to get their JEDI unlocked, then almost everyone started grinding out professions, it threw the entire economy into turmoil with players dumping everything on the market with dirt cheap items they grinded out.  The alpha class Jedi destroyed SWG before NGE hit, just like the alpha class CUD abilities destroyed Planetside1, it changed player behavior in a not so positive way.

"Vehicles must have more staying power than in BF, it just creates more fun engagements. Giving infantry more presence on the outside battlefield (away from bases) should also be a priority to create the necessary variety, but they can do this without nerfing vehicles down to uselessness;"

When Planetside first came out and everyone didn't have 5+ characters with an OS I-win button, AMS's weren't being OS'ed as soon as they were deployed; infantry did have staying power (away from bases).  But then everyone started to get their I-win button and players stopped certing AMS out of frustration.  Then AV weapons were buffed which was really just a nerf to tanks.

So the end effect of the OS is nerfed vehicles and no infantry flexibility.  Battles became stale, static and predictable.

Now if there was only one AMS up at any one time i'd agree with you 100% but fact is there was a crap load of them everywhere so one OS or even 10 given the battle really didn't do a damn thing but move your spawn point to the other side of the hill/base/tower. AV buffed? sorry but i missed that i only seen them get nerf after nerf after nerf.

As for your other post on SWG i'm with you all the way about the jedi.

And again on your other post about people doing a mindless grind for CR5 it may not be your thing its not mine but you can't say a lot of other people don't love it.

Now if there was only one AMS up at any one time i'd agree with you 100% but fact is there was a crap load of them everywhere so one OS or even 10 given the battle really didn't do a damn thing but move your spawn point to the other side of the hill/base/tower. AV buffed? sorry but i missed that i only seen them get nerf after nerf after nerf.

It did do a damn thing, because usually all the good AMS spots get OS'ed, the other 9 out of 10 are way out in the boonies and basically useless.

And again on your other post about people doing a mindless grind for CR5 it may not be your thing its not mine but you can't say a lot of other people don't love it.

Their "love for it" imballances and destroys the game for everyone else.  Again there are a ton of games out there where you can Grind2Win, why make another clone?

It did do a damn thing, because usually all the good AMS spots get OS'ed, the other 9 out of 10 are way out in the boonies and basically useless.

Their "love for it" imballances and destroys the game for everyone else.  Again there are a ton of games out there where you can Grind2Win, why make another clone?

Back when the pop was high an AMS was always set up in a close by place but yes after the pop started to go way down the AMS became few and far apart. 

Every game has some grind2win in it can't be helped.

It can be helped, use your imagination.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

It can be helped, use your imagination.

No, it can't. Since everyone has a different idea of fun and a different idea of grind, there is no way to make a game that will feel grind-free to all players unless you get rid of ALL progression, in which case you no longer have incintive to play.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.