Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just started playing rift...

x0eclipsex0eclipse Member UncommonPosts: 32

... With an IRL buddy and im immensely enjoying it. i love the andom dynamic world events, zone events, dynamic quests, solid combat, early availability of objective based PvP, the games involved atmosphere and calm pace of the game.

Comments

• Skaara55Skaara55 Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by x0eclipse

... With an IRL buddy and im immensely enjoying it. i love the andom dynamic world events, zone events, dynamic quests, solid combat, early availability of objective based PvP, the games involved atmosphere and calm pace of the game. U mad haters?

Not really, I enjoyed the game at first too. Actually I had a blast from lvl 1-49 but once I hit 50 rifts became pointless, invasions even more pointless, and then it was just sitting in meridian using wf and deungon queue's. The game isn't "that" bad ... it's just a bad copy of wow when it could have been something good.
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I don't really think its a "bad copy of wow".

Because I think its a lot nicer than World of Warcraft. At its core. But it doesn't have a lot right now. Someday it will, it just doesn't right now.

I got to 42 and cancelled my sub.  I realized what 50 would bring, and I don't find any fun in raiding or repetitive dungeons.  I hope that the game improves on its "dynamic" aspects.  Its lack of a compelling story... just pushes me away. Its a nice evolution of the themepark experience.  It is a quality game for a little while.

Like with all themeparks, eventually I want to get back in my car and go home.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

OP: "I just started playing rift..."

The funny thing is, I haven't seen anyone 'mad' about leaving RIFT. They leave it and say "Meh, it was okay , but just kinda WoWish. Same old things I've seen before except the rift." They have about as much regret as seeing a two star rated film out of five stars.

Glad you're enjoying it immensely though.

See you in two months.

• deven07deven07 Member UncommonPosts: 24

I really enjoyed Rift, but hitting 50 killed it for me.  Plus the LFG tool..not just issue with the single/multiple role thing, which I agree would have helped, but it was obviously not working properly as well.

I stuck around for a while after hitting 50, but people were dropping like flies, and no one was leveling up to replace them.  The zones that were packed when I was 10 were empty when I capped.   My guild was a fraction of the size it had earlier, and I didn't see any reason to search out a new one. Endgame was weak, really weak.  Oh well, it was something to do till SWTOR...Maybe I'll head back to a F2P, or check out some demos or something. 

• RaikoLivesRaikoLives Member Posts: 89

I have to say I've only just started playing as well, and for someone who is as big an altaholic as I am, the class system is really excellent. I'm going to fill up my character slots on a couple of servers trying all the possibilities out. The story isn't Dickens or Shakespeare, for sure, but it also isn't as bad as I've heard people say - unless it gets much worse as the game moves on. I enjoy the world itself, so far. The politics and the people, the cultures and the societies. Those are very important to me and Rift has got them right. The game looks stunning too, though I've heard that lower end systems struggle with it a little, and even though it's very "WoW", it's also very NOT WoW, in that it doesn't have the awful story, bland graphics, terrible art design and horrible people that infect that game so much. There are lots of good people on WoW too, don't flame me before I get that out there, but there's a TONNE of opinionated jerks and small minded losers and stupid S.O.Bs who can turn a nice day into a bad one very quickly. But that's what happens with such a large game population. You get MORE bad people so the good people go quiet. Off topic. Point is I'm enjoying Rift a lot, and it always takes me AGES to get ANYWHERE in MMOs so I hope I'll be hanging out in game for a few months before any kind of fatigue sets in. Only really needs to hold me till Secret World and Blade & Soul come out anyway. lol

• anthonypenaanthonypena Member Posts: 131

Its not a bad game in any way it actually super fun then..it get boring thats it.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Rift is OK.. I'm tired of linear progression MMOs so I canceled my sub. That being said, the game is still decently fun. However at level 50 this is what you can expect:

As tank/dps.. do t1s until 100 hit, do t2s until 150 hit, do t2s/raid rifts until 200 hit, now u can raid and get more and more hit for future raids

or you can pvp nonstop all day and farm prestige until you get r6 and enough favor to get all ur gear and now ur unstoppable grats 

I was pretty disappointed with the one starting zone for each faction. Not that the starting area was bad, but that, as was said previously, the choice of race really becomes meaningless. The most fun I had playing WoW was each race's unique starting experiences, and the different areas of the game you went through since you started in a different place. But I've never end-gamed before so I have no idea if what you guys are saying about tiers and such is similar in all games or just poorly done in this one. It sounds just like the end game of WoW and the like, but I can't say it for sure, since I've never been there.

Here's hoping for new races and starting zones in the first expansion. Maybe a Planar race that can join either faction and has a unique starting zone? More time travel/sci fi for the Defiants and more high fantasy elements for the Guardians.

Originally posted by RaikoLives

Here's hoping for new races and starting zones in the first expansion. Maybe a Planar race that can join either faction and has a unique starting zone? More time travel/sci fi for the Defiants and more high fantasy elements for the Guardians.

It's going to be a long time before an expansion. They still haven't released Hammerknell yet.

Then after people chew up Hammerknell, there will be another long waiting game (at least six months) before a real expansion with zones and races comes out.

That puts it directly up against SWTOR and GW2, and maybe even The Secret World. Time is not on Trion's side and everyday they don't give people the things to keep them interested like a cross server LFD tool they lose more customers likely to never come back.

Very true. Expansions take a big chunk of time and man power, so it certainly isn't just around the corner. But It seems like the only way to address the issues that'll become their major stumbling block in the coming months. Lack of both replay ability AND end game content spells certain doom. Of course, that doesn't stop the middle bit being fun, as you go through, so it'll be a while before I'm concerned by most of this. Hopefully long enough for Trion to get their act together.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by popinjay

It's going to be a long time before an expansion. They still haven't released Hammerknell yet.

Then after people chew up Hammerknell, there will be another long waiting game (at least six months) before a real expansion with zones and races comes out.

That puts it directly up against SWTOR and GW2, and maybe even The Secret World. Time is not on Trion's side and everyday they don't give people the things to keep them interested like a cross server LFD tool they lose more customers likely to never come back.

I don't mind waiting 6 month's for an expansion if Trion keeps up the monthly content being added.. Shoot, by the time that expansion rolls along we'll have 5-6 new raids and been through 5-6 different events.. :)

As for there end game now i find it offers plenty of variety.. Sure, a lot of it is repetitve but i'am still havin a good time learning the T1's and getting down there bosses.. I also recently started tanking again (did tank at first but got way to hard for me as i lvl'd being i never tanked before) so i've read a few guides and it's been like rerolling a class all over.. Actually, in most games i would have to re roll to go from DPS to tank.. Along with the event dailies Rift's got a healthy ammount of end-game content.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the game.  Just take it slow and enjoy yourself.  I played it from almost the beginning and loved it.  However I am probably going to let my sub go for now because I have not felt compelled to log in for the last 20 days.

There nothing wrong with the game really because like I said the game is great.  But it is more a matter of Rift offers me nothing more then my current game of Lord of the Rings Online.(I find Lotro to be a deeper game in my opinion)  

I will probably revisit Rift in the future though and I wish Trion all the best.  They are a great company.

Originally posted by Arthineas

I will probably revisit Rift in the future though and I wish Trion all the best.  They are a great company.

That's a very refreshing thing these days. I followed the progress of DCUO and heard much of the horror stories of SOE, before SWG and after, and I couldn't really understand how such a huge company could be so crap at running games. But as we've seen these last few months, DCUO never lived up to what they promised, THEY never lived up to what they promised, and the whole experience left me a little more cautious about upcoming games and the companies running them. Trion so far has been pretty good with their service and their game, so fingers crossed.

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

I don't mind waiting 6 month's for an expansion if Trion keeps up the monthly content being added.. Shoot, by the time that expansion rolls along we'll have 5-6 new raids and been through 5-6 different events.. :)

As for there end game now i find it offers plenty of variety.. Sure, a lot of it is repetitve but i'am still havin a good time learning the T1's and getting down there bosses.. I also recently started tanking again (did tank at first but got way to hard for me as i lvl'd being i never tanked before) so i've read a few guides and it's been like rerolling a class all over.. Actually, in most games i would have to re roll to go from DPS to tank.. Along with the event dailies Rift's got a healthy ammount of end-game content.

Yeah, you've got Hammerknell next so figure after that.. they'll have to give it at least four months minimum before a full expansion comes out.

Interestingly, they just started another 'summer sale', this time with some real longterm committments to it.

I'm guessing they are maybe trying to lock people in by having them sub to RIFT and then when SWTOR and other games come out later, people will be too broke to play two games at once so if you're planning on playing that long, you might want to six month sub it if you're willing to wait as you say.

That's less than 9 bucks a month for a sub.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Yeah, you've got Hammerknell next so figure after that.. they'll have to give it at least four months minimum before a full expansion comes out.

Interestingly, they just started another 'summer sale', this time with some real longterm committments to it.

I'm guessing they are maybe trying to lock people in by having them sub to RIFT and then when SWTOR and other games come out later, people will be too broke to play two games at once so if you're planning on playing that long, you might want to six month sub it if you're willing to wait as you say.

That's less than 9 bucks a month for a sub.

I go month by month.. I've learned my lesson.. One month i might love a MMO the next i might hate it; i know Rift isn't immune to that lol.. The first month i played AION if you would've told me i'd be unsub and hate the game only 5months later i'd laugh at you and tell you i was a "lifer" with that game.. Turns out miragents broke me lol.. Went through that with WoW too; biggest waste of $110 for 5weeks of gameplay.

And when SWTOR comes i'l simply unsub from Rift and check it out.. if i like it then i'll continue playing that, if i don't then i know i'll have Rift still waitin for me.. I've tried playing 2 MMO's at once and usually what happens is I get stuck on one and never play the other.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

Turns out miragents broke me lol..

This is a dirty word and must never be uttered in my presence.

It has driven people like me to the brink of sheer madness. If I didn't find that 'unsub' button in the dark haze that was Blood farming, I'd be totally insane right about now.

Never speak of this word again.