Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Probably not a big deal, but..

twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

I've noticed lately that I have to hit the back button a fourth time to go back a single page while navigating the forums, while it used to to take a mere three presses.  Is that a sign that some optimization of the site could be in order, or is it a Firefox thing?

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    The whole site is running very slowly for me today. It can take 20 seconds before it initially responds. Then it may take a minute before loading. Sometimes the entire page fails to load.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by grunty

The whole site is running very slowly for me today. It can take 20 seconds before it initially responds. Then it may take a minute before loading. Sometimes the entire page fails to load.

Are you guys still having performance issues on the site?

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I also have this issue where I have to press back quite a few times to go back a page.  I need to try chrome and see if the problem is local to firefox.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Originally posted by MikeB

It looks like when you follow a link from "Current Forum Activity" on the home page, the link first takes you to the current page of the thread, then anchors to the bottom of the page (which makes two separate points in the history). The first time you click the back button it directs you to the top of the current page. The next time you click the back button, it might actually go back. Sometimes, like the OP says, it takes a few clicks to actually go back.

Happens in IE9 and FF5. Didn't test any other browsers.

• ErifNevowErifNevow Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by gigat

Originally posted by MikeB

It looks like when you follow a link from "Current Forum Activity" on the home page, the link first takes you to the current page of the thread, then anchors to the bottom of the page (which makes two separate points in the history). The first time you click the back button it directs you to the top of the current page. The next time you click the back button, it might actually go back. Sometimes, like the OP says, it takes a few clicks to actually go back.

Happens in IE9 and FF5. Didn't test any other browsers.

I use Chrome and it doesn't seem to do that for me, but I might be clicking the wrong thing somehow.

Newb= Newly Enrolled Wannabe Badass.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

It's really strange. Sometimes you only need to click once to go back, sometimes you need to click 2 to 4 times to go back. It seems to be completely random, or some kind of back-end coding issue.

I've seen this behavior before, but the problem was more consistent and easier to troubleshoot. It almost seems completely random here.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I use Opera (latest version) and never had that problem.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I just tried it and I had to click 3 times for it to go back. I am using firefox 5.0

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It seems like this is an issue that only happens to Firefox...

Opera and Chrome rule as usual. :) 

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

If those of you still having issues could go ahead and contact support using our Contact Us form and describe the issue so we can assist you further that would be great. Thanks!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I gave up trying to access the site a few minutes after I posted.  The site's main header and menu, the background and maybe the ad on the left would finally load after a minute or two. It got to the point where actual content or the majority of the lnks on the left column never would show up. When I logged in several hours later (the next day?) everything worked fine. All other sites I visited during this time responded as they normally do.

I'm using Firefox 5.0. The Firefox tab icon indicated very slow initial response (the circle icon rotating counterclockwise) for about 10 - 40 seconds. 

Once the MMORPG.com site did respond the occasional full page download could take over a minute. About half the time the page would not fully load.  This got progressively worse through the day until I quit trying shortly after my first post in this thread. The page footer always showed the page being created in under .7 seconds. Well, it did when the page footer would actually appear.

Restarting my system had no effect. I didn't restart my modem/router. As I said above, other sites and online game play was normal. I didn't try to ping mmorpg.com.

My initial thought during the day was that the recent spammers didn't like the immediate deletions that occur here and were trying to DDOS the site. But since no one else was reporting issues I also thought it might be issues with the DNS server I connect through.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams