Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dynamic events "endgame"?

dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

My biggest issue with current themeparks is the second job nature of them at least if you want to get anywhere, by that I mean you have to be on for 2-4 hours x amount of days each week at specific time frames or you will be kicked/demoted and won't get anywhere or enjoy the majority of new content.

I want to play when I want to play not have to wait around for 24(or whatever) other specific players to come online and GW2s dynamic events which allow you to just jump in and there should always be something going on (i guess) sounds great but will it also be the "endgame" content? Or just the equivalent of questing in wow where you can "solo" all the way up to cap then hit a wall where you need to submit to the "job" or quit.

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

You have the same gameplay options at level cap as you do while leveling. There is no quest to level then raid at cap BS in GW2.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

you have Dungeons and PvP and Dynamic events, and your personal story. so you have stuff to do

• OmgZombiesOmgZombies Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by needalife214

you have Dungeons and PvP and Dynamic events, and your personal story. so you have stuff to do

minigames, titles, and crafting also

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

I have to agree with the OP.... and from the sounds of it....the same as every other MMO minus some things... hmmmmmm

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by romanator0

You have the same gameplay options at level cap as you do while leveling. There is no quest to level then raid at cap BS in GW2.

That sounds refreshing. I feel that the end game gear grinds are killing MMO's.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Ill have to remind you guys that dynamic content ist going to be the "hard content"

You you can treat DE as end game but it will be the same as treating dailies and faction grinsig as end game. If you want challenging group content, you will have to do the end game dungeons.
    Im surprised people missed the devs comment on this o.o
    Whenever i brought up content scaling, people in mmorpg.com always disagreed with me but when it comes to gw2, its fine to do lower level content with you scaled down *sweatdrop*

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

The term endgame needs to die a horrible death.

Here is the thing, when you have run out of things to do in the game then stop playing.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by dlld

My biggest issue with current themeparks is the second job nature of them at least if you want to get anywhere, by that I mean you have to be on for 2-4 hours x amount of days each week at specific time frames or you will be kicked/demoted and won't get anywhere or enjoy the majority of new content.

I want to play when I want to play not have to wait around for 24(or whatever) other specific players to come online and GW2s dynamic events which allow you to just jump in and there should always be something going on (i guess) sounds great but will it also be the "endgame" content? Or just the equivalent of questing in wow where you can "solo" all the way up to cap then hit a wall where you need to submit to the "job" or quit.

Except dynamic content becomes as repetitive over time. True that one benefit might be less waiting, but that does not mean that the quality of experience is going to be better. I rather wait for my friends and do more static content than jump into "dynamic" content with random group of online idiots.

I am not saying that dynamic content cannot be well done. EVE is one good example that it can be. However, that does not mean that it cannot become overly repetitive and a bore. 

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Castillle

Ill have to remind you guys that dynamic content ist going to be the "hard content"

You you can treat DE as end game but it will be the same as treating dailies and faction grinsig as end game. If you want challenging group content, you will have to do the end game dungeons.

Im surprised people missed the devs comment on this o.o

Whenever i brought up content scaling, people in mmorpg.com always disagreed with me but when it comes to gw2, its fine to do lower level content with you scaled down *sweatdrop*

Content scaling can be good or bad.

I would say that Oblivion's implementation of such was pretty bad. D:

I don't automatically hate all versions of content scaling, but I think it depends upon what type and style you brought up, whether I'd disagree with you. :o

... and the REAL hard content is high end PvP, of course. ;)

... though the GW2 devs did say there are supposed to be some dynamic events that are specifically hard, dunno if it ever gets as hard as dungeons will.

• KonyakKonyak Member Posts: 156

Scaling seems pretty simple and effective. If you're level 80, and you enter a level 10 zone. You'll be scaled down to about level 13-15. Low enough to have some form of challenge, but also so you're not one hitting anything. But also high enough that you have an advantage in the battle over others becuase of how well developed your character is.

Originally posted by Konyak

Scaling seems pretty simple and effective. If you're level 80, and you enter a level 10 zone. You'll be scaled down to about level 13-15. Low enough to have some form of challenge, but also so you're not one hitting anything. But also high enough that you have an advantage in the battle over others becuase of how well developed your character is.

To be honest, that sounds pretty lame to me.  It almost seems like it will feel like Oblivion.  In Oblivion I never felt a real sense of development as the whole world was always scaling to me.  There is something to be said for one shotting low level things.... a feeling of how far you have come. 

I am also worried about the scaling dungeons.  Even if they do change it up a bit, it just seems that rerunning the same dungeon or a modification of the dungeon would get old.

I guess all we can do is wait and see.  The proof is in the pudding and you never know how it tastes till you get it in your mouth.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

To be honest, that sounds pretty lame to me.  It almost seems like it will feel like Oblivion.  In Oblivion I never felt a real sense of development as the whole world was always scaling to me.  There is something to be said for one shotting low level things.... a feeling of how far you have come. 

I am also worried about the scaling dungeons.  Even if they do change it up a bit, it just seems that rerunning the same dungeon or a modification of the dungeon would get old.

I guess all we can do is wait and see.  The proof is in the pudding and you never know how it tastes till you get it in your mouth.

Well, the game doesn't automatically level you up, so you can still challenge yourself if you want by heading into harder areas.

As far as automentoring down, the developers appreciate the desire to show how far you've come, but it's a tradeoff they needed to make.  They want their whole PVE world to be completely griefless.  So not only is it there to prevent you from ruining events for other people, it also helps you repeat content.  Events run on cycles, they aren't one and done like quests.  When you're a high level, you can repeat any content you want and be strong for it but not overpowering.  It's also a social thing.  If you're in WoW and you see a guy on your friends list who is way lower level than you, might as well defriend him.  In GW2, you can group with that guy anywhere his level or lower, or sidekick him up to your area.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

I don't think you quite understand. The actual development of your character happens normally. But let's say if you want to go chill with a friend who just got the game or maybe you didn't check out a few areas that you missed before, you can go there but it'll still be a challenge. You must understand that the Guild Wars series is never about the leveling.

Even though they made the leap from level 20 to 80, it's seriously not THAT important. The development is in your character, not a number. Take away that number and you still have your character. It's like if you were actually in a fantasy world, obviously there would be no "levels", there would be events that you'd experience in your life that would make you stronger and more effective. That's essentially what Guild Wars 2 is. If we were living in a fantasy world, then the orcs/goblins you'd fight in the beginning of your adventure would probably be just as tough as the ones you'd face later on down the road. This is what ArenaNet is trying to capture. If ArenaNet really wanted the game to be about the levels they would make sure there was a big leveling curve.

The real progression is in your personal story and skill development. The leveling system is more of just a little guide.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

I am not sure about this but I have the feeling that the end game dungeons are the place to be for the best gear. Is there going to be PvP gear that you can get without going into a dungeon? Or there is no such thing as PvP gear or PvE gear? As far as I am concerned, this is another gear-based MMO, so where the best gear can be found?

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by SpandexDroid

I am not sure about this but I have the feeling that the end game dungeons are the place to be for the best gear. Is there going to be PvP gear that you can get without going into a dungeon? Or there is no such thing as PvP gear or PvE gear? As far as I am concerned, this is another gear-based MMO, so where the best gear can be found?

Theres only 1 type of gear, it's called gear. You don't get to use your own gear in structured PvP because it is supposed to be a sterile environment for balance.

This is NOT a gear based MMO. You can get equally useful gear from dungeons, crafting, looting players in WvWvW (you don't get to take the player's things, you simply get a loot table to choose from) and karma vendors.

I don't think you quite understand. The actual development of your character happens normally. But let's say if you want to go chill with a friend who just got the game or maybe you didn't check out a few areas that you missed before, you can go there but it'll still be a challenge. You must understand that the Guild Wars series is never about the leveling.

Even though they made the leap from level 20 to 80, it's seriously not THAT important. The development is in your character, not a number. Take away that number and you still have your character. It's like if you were actually in a fantasy world, obviously there would be no "levels", there would be events that you'd experience in your life that would make you stronger and more effective. That's essentially what Guild Wars 2 is. If we were living in a fantasy world, then the orcs/goblins you'd fight in the beginning of your adventure would probably be just as tough as the ones you'd face later on down the road. This is what ArenaNet is trying to capture. If ArenaNet really wanted the game to be about the levels they would make sure there was a big leveling curve.

The real progression is in your personal story and skill development. The leveling system is more of just a little guide.

Oh I do understand....and it still sounds pretty meh to me.  Even the way you describe it gives me that Oblivion feel.....  and to be honest your "level" is the equivalent to your power which in turn is how you have developed.  And if I had fought these fabled orcs and goblins when I was a lad....and then when I was an experienced fighter I am sure it would be different.  Anyway.... even the Bethesda devs have learned and at least Skyrim won't be like that.  I couldn't even finish Oblivion until I put the mods to stop the leveled content because it annoyed me so.  Another thing.... I like helping my friends when they are lower level.  If I want to experience leveling with them then I would roll another character.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

Theres only 1 type of gear, it's called gear. You don't get to use your own gear in structured PvP because it is supposed to be a sterile environment for balance.

This is NOT a gear based MMO. You can get equally useful gear from dungeons, crafting, looting players in WvWvW (you don't get to take the player's things, you simply get a loot table to choose from) and karma vendors.

If that's so, then good riddance with the PvP/PvE gear madness from other MMOs. Also I hope that crafting gear is worth the time. So far so good.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

If that's so, then good riddance with the PvP/PvE gear madness from other MMOs. Also I hope that crafting gear is worth the time. So far so good.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the practice of changing the function of certain skills to be PvP-friendly done away with.  It was always a huge irritant as a casual PvPer to enter a match and discover that a bunch of my skills had been declawed so that they are more PvP compliant.

Crafted gear will be on par (numbers wise) with what you can acquire from any other source.  It's appearance will be unique though.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by dlld

Well, the having to be one 2-4 hours x amount of days each week would have to be dependent on your guild. There, of course, will be guilds that require their members to be on so many hours a week. You will just have to avoid those guilds.

As for time requirements to actually get somewhere in the game. Let's put it this way, the less you play, the quicker you will get exp per minute/hour/depending on what you use. There are these things called "feats" that reset daily, or weekly, I believe (depends on what it is), that give you rewards such as exp. So say you complete x amount of events, or kill y amount of mobs, a chest will magically appear and inside may be some experience orbs. However, the longer you play each day, the less these will appear. So you play for one hour, you may get 3 chests, your second hour, you may get 2 chests, third hour, 1 chest, then say you play another 3 hours before you get another chest. (Please note, this is just an example off the top of my head that best describes this. This won't be exactly how it works). So basically, if you are in a time crunch, you won't necessarily be disadvantaged exp wise. Obviously, those who play the game like it's their job (in some cases, it might as well be their job, even though they don't get paid), will level faster than you.

Basically ArenaNet is trying not to disadvantage the casual players, while giving those players who don't have lives something to do.

As for the "endgame" idea. Get rid of the whole concept of "endgame". This end game is not necessarily different from what you've been doing while leveling. It's not like you hit 80 and all of a sudden you enter a whole new game. In GW1 the game really just started once you head 20. You can keep doing dynamic events, you can do dungeons, you can pvp, you can do minigames, you can craft, you can work on achievements. Basically, just because you hit 80 doesn't necessarily mean you have to go into dungeons. You can if you want, but you don't have to. In fact, there will be people who only come online to explore. 

With gear, just because you don't do dungeons, doesn't mean you will be disadvantaged. Yes you won't be able to access the unique skins that come out of dungeons. However, you gear will be just as effective as those who do indeed do dungeons. The people who do dungeons just may look cooler than the regular gear you are wearing. Anything you get from the world, or crafting, or dungeons, or pvp are basically equivalent in power. What makes a difference will be the modifications you do. The game is still designed around the idea of skill > time. So just because you don't have unlimited amounts of time, doesn't mean you won't be as effective as those who do have unlimited amounts of time. Basically a great player who only plays maybe 4-5 hours will be able to beat a bad player that plays 40 hours a week.

Also the beauty of the game is if you get bored with the game, put it down and go do something else. You don't have to worry about when your subscription runs out. Your account will always be there, so say a year later you can reinstall the game, patch up, and off you go right where you left off. In fact, that's how many people played guild wars 1. They picked up the game when an expansion was released. Played through it, did some pvp, and then left again. There's no penalty for taking a break. In some cases Anet encourages it.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Another thing.... I like helping my friends when they are lower level.  If I want to experience leveling with them then I would roll another character.

And some people really don't like to be "powerleveled" by their fully kitted out, max level friends just because they're new to the game. To each their own; unfortunately GW2 can't please everyone and some will prefer some models over others. Fortunately, though, there are other games where you can go back to the starting area and one-shot everything if you want to.

• sajahsajah Member Posts: 35

Oh I do understand....and it still sounds pretty meh to me.  Even the way you describe it gives me that Oblivion feel.....  and to be honest your "level" is the equivalent to your power which in turn is how you have developed.  And if I had fought these fabled orcs and goblins when I was a lad....and then when I was an experienced fighter I am sure it would be different.  Anyway.... even the Bethesda devs have learned and at least Skyrim won't be like that.  I couldn't even finish Oblivion until I put the mods to stop the leveled content because it annoyed me so.  Another thing.... I like helping my friends when they are lower level.  If I want to experience leveling with them then I would roll another character.

Yeah but you are forgetting 2 things. First this is not Oblivion (seriously, there is no way to do worst scaling than in that game).

Second, you attach to much importance to the downscaling effect of GW2. Here is how it works (from what we know), your level doesn't scale down, your base attributes scale down (meaning power, precision, toughness, vitality). But these attributes aren't the most important aspect of your character, don't forget this is a skill based game, not a stat based game. You will retain all your skills with their tiers and all your traits (A T7 skill will be way more powerful than its T1 version, and don't forget that not all skills are affected by the power stat, so even down scaled the skill will still be equaly powerful).

Coming back to a lv 10-20 area when you are lv 80, even down scaled won't make you that much powerless, you will still have all your skills maxed out and will still kick ass, you just won't take 0 dmg nor oneshot, but neither  you won't get oneshot (far from it) nor doing 1-2 dmg to the boss of the area even when your lv 10-20 buddy will.

The idea is that you are killable if you play like a monkey even when you are max level max stuffed in a low level area, not to strip you of all the power you acumulated.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Basically, you are still more powerful than other people in the area. The content will still be easier than your first time through. However, you won't be able to one or two shot everything. You won't be able to round up mobs and kill them all. Basically they are trying to allow you to feel powerful, while still giving you somewhat of a challenge, and not ruin the game for other people. With the nature of the dynamic events, can you imagine what a couple level 80s could do to a dynamic event that's meant for a level 5? Those players that are level 5 also deserve to have fun. It's the simple grab quest, go kill the mobs, come back. Everyone contributes to it. If level 80s are killing all the mobs to complete the event, the level 5 won't be able to do anything to gain credit for the event. Therefore they won't be able to gain karma, gold, or experience -- all necessary things for them to develop their own character.

As stated below, crafting gear will be just as powerful as all the other gear you can acquire at the same level.  Only difference will be the looks and what YOU do to customize it (any enhancements). Structured PvP has it's own gear based on real world gear. However, you automatically get the gear. You don't need to earn it or anything. As stated before, structured pvp is suppose to be an equal environment gear wise. The only thing that should differentiate two players will be their skill. As for WvW, you use the gear you have already collected. However gear is equivalent across all the content (except for possibly levels. So basically level 40 gear won't be as powerful as 80 gear. But all the gear at level 40 will be equivalent. All the gear at level 80 will be equivalent stat wise)

"I also wouldn't mind seeing the practice of changing the function of certain skills to be PvP-friendly done away with.  It was always a huge irritant as a casual PvPer to enter a match and discover that a bunch of my skills had been declawed so that they are more PvP compliant.

Crafted gear will be on par (numbers wise) with what you can acquire from any other source.  It's appearance will be unique though."

Well they didn't do away with pvp/pve only skills. Every skill will have two different versions, the pvp version and the pve version. This is because balancing for pvp would be a nightmare for pve, and balancing for pve would be a nightmare for pvp. So they separated them.

No, the level system seriously is just there to give the people that been so used to games like WoW the feeling of progression. The real progression is not in the levels. It's all in skill development and personal story which is a completely different part of the game. Like I said, the level system is more a guide than anything. That's essentially what GW1 tried doing as well but probably won't have as much success as GW2 in that aspect of the game.

This isn't about "scaling" your level down. This is more like most enemies are near the same strength as they would be if GW2 was real life. If it was real life, there wouldn't be a level 2 centaur and a level 50 centaur. That's not how it would work. They'd both pretty much be equal strength because they're the same race. So both Centaurs would give you a challenge. The level is just there for people who are used to MMOs like WoW. I know a lot of people that just wish ArenaNet would take out any form of levels because there's really no need for it in the way they're building the game. But some people that are so used to other games like WoW would probably be confused.

In short, all they're doing is scaling the number next to your character's name. Nothing important.

Step in the right direction nonetheless.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

There is some content which is specifically tailored to high/max level players:

- The entire continent of Orr has been said to be made for high level players and it includes difficult dynamic events.

- There are three dungeons which you unlock at level 80.

- There are some 'group events' or something which do not scale down to a low amount of players but do scale up to large amounts of players and which should be quite difficult. The Shatterer is one such event.

Of course this is besides PvP, Crafting, Mini-games and what have you which should all still be fun at max level.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

you can always jump in a high lvl dynamic event alone since you get grouped up with other people which are doing that same event automaticaly... More people who will join the event, the harder it will be to succeed and easier to fail :D

there will be "high end" dungeons which will be much more difficult to pass than DE. I'm just hoping there will be some sort of "LFG" system simillar to what we have in WoW so we don't end up depending on zone chats or LFG chats, which in wow really was making the whole dungeon exp painful.

As for raids... On many videos I've watched from ANet and many other website reviews I heard or read that there will be some sort of raids for 20 people? I can't really remember what exactly it was... Does anyone know any kind of source regarding raids since I can't recall where I really heard about it. I'd like to remind myself regarding this one :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------