Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking About Playing Again

djvapiddjvapid Member Posts: 80

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask a question about the current gameplay.  I played the game when it first came out and although I enjoyed it for a week or two, there were a few things I was deeply disappointed with and I was wondering if things had changed/improved with them. 

1)  World Exploration - Being a title revolving completely around the idea of exploration, being stuck in a 16 x 16 box, barely a speck on any planet my away team beamed down to and limited strictly to that, I was hoping they had improved this in some way.  The same "random" scenery on every world got old really fast.  This was probably my greatest disappointment.

2) Space Travel - I forget what it was called since it's been so long since I played, but when you traveled through space, it wasn't exactly what I had envisioned.  A blue grid that was supposed to represent the navigation systems of your starship was /not/ what I had in mind.  I was expecting something more along the lines of how Eve did it.  (It's Star Trek after all, I can't believe this was ever implemented.)  Have they changed this in some way hopefully for the better?

3) Ground Combat - There were a lot of bugs, glitches, teammates not doing what they're supposed or getting stuck in places.  All in all, very boxy and clumsy.  I was hoping this was improved in some way.  I loved the idea of flanking and whatnot, but it seemed to me like the cons out-weighed the pros.

4) Ship Combat - I absolutely loved it.  Not much to complain about except that I was afraid I'd get carpal tunnel (spelling?) from all the spacebar mashing.  Have they done anything different with it? 

5) Inside Your Starship - I remember them talking about being able to change views and explore your own starship and customize it.  They also talked about other people going inside your ship as well.  This was never implemented, although at the time you could atleast pick different styles your ship's bridge looked like so I was assuming they were working on that.  Have they followed through?

I think these are the main things that come to mind.  I hope you guys can help me make a decision whether to pick it back up again or not.  Thanks ahead of time for your responses!

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

1) World Exploration -  Nope, still the same.  Copy/pasta'd environments, 16x16 square, nothing different.

2) Space Travel -  Sort of.  You can now turn off the astrometric grid and now it looks nicer but its still boring and slow.

3) Ground Combat - Sort of.  You can now go into a first person shooting mode, which is nice, however the enemy's are still annoying and the ground zones are still the exact same every time you go into one, minus some difference in art and style of the zone.  Still clumps of enemies, all even spaced about that 16x16 block.

4) Ship Combat - Still feels the same to me, still good, but haven't noticed anything different since I've been back.

5) Inside Your Starship - Yes, I can see this going somewhere but boy are they slow to implement it.  You can run around your bridge, crew deck, engineering deck and captains quarters.  No interaction with anything though, so it's a bit pointless right now.

So, for me, I unsubbed shortly after resubbing to try it out again, but it's starting to change.  Too slow for my taste, but it will be interesting to see how it is different in another year or so.

• djvapiddjvapid Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by elocke

1) World Exploration -  Nope, still the same.  Copy/pasta'd environments, 16x16 square, nothing different.

2) Space Travel -  Sort of.  You can now turn off the astrometric grid and now it looks nicer but its still boring and slow.

3) Ground Combat - Sort of.  You can now go into a first person shooting mode, which is nice, however the enemy's are still annoying and the ground zones are still the exact same every time you go into one, minus some difference in art and style of the zone.  Still clumps of enemies, all even spaced about that 16x16 block.

4) Ship Combat - Still feels the same to me, still good, but haven't noticed anything different since I've been back.

5) Inside Your Starship - Yes, I can see this going somewhere but boy are they slow to implement it.  You can run around your bridge, crew deck, engineering deck and captains quarters.  No interaction with anything though, so it's a bit pointless right now.

So, for me, I unsubbed shortly after resubbing to try it out again, but it's starting to change.  Too slow for my taste, but it will be interesting to see how it is different in another year or so.

It sounds like what I was afraid of - they're changing things for the better, but not just at a quick enough pace to really draw in a solid player base.  (Vanguard Online, anyone?) 

If they could just open up the world, I.E. Star Wars Galaxies (this is an exploration game, after all) they would have me a paying customer for life.  Thanks for the info, chances are I probably will try it for another month just to get my STO fix for the year. 

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Why is it that every couple weeks another person posts about thinking of playing again?  Just do a search and you will find all the answers, they never change, from month to month the pros and cons remain basicaly the same.

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

Why is it that every couple weeks another person posts about thinking of playing again?  Just do a search and you will find all the answers, they never change, from month to month the pros and cons remain basicaly the same.

If it's not on topic, please keep it to yourself.  Thanks! 

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Just saying that SEARCH is your friend.

Just saying that SEARCH is your friend.

So is the block feature. :)

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,784

Originally posted by djvapid

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask a question about the current gameplay.  I played the game when it first came out and although I enjoyed it for a week or two, there were a few things I was deeply disappointed with and I was wondering if things had changed/improved with them. 

1)  World Exploration - Being a title revolving completely around the idea of exploration, being stuck in a 16 x 16 box, barely a speck on any planet my away team beamed down to and limited strictly to that, I was hoping they had improved this in some way.  The same "random" scenery on every world got old really fast.  This was probably my greatest disappointment.

Feature Episodes include much more variety to explore. Foundry mission (UGC) also can provide some varible exploration. However, maps are still limited by the size limited by the game engine.

2) Space Travel - I forget what it was called since it's been so long since I played, but when you traveled through space, it wasn't exactly what I had envisioned.  A blue grid that was supposed to represent the navigation systems of your starship was /not/ what I had in mind.  I was expecting something more along the lines of how Eve did it.  (It's Star Trek after all, I can't believe this was ever implemented.)  Have they changed this in some way hopefully for the better?

No more "blue grid" and much more like space. However, until they eliminate it (and it is in the works) you must still fly through instances or each "region" of space.

3) Ground Combat - There were a lot of bugs, glitches, teammates not doing what they're supposed or getting stuck in places.  All in all, very boxy and clumsy.  I was hoping this was improved in some way.  I loved the idea of flanking and whatnot, but it seemed to me like the cons out-weighed the pros.

Season 4 has introduce "Shooter Mode". This has a bit more of a third person shooter feel to it. The combat is faster paced. Movement has been enhanced. The old style of combat is still available for those that prefer that. 

4) Ship Combat - I absolutely loved it.  Not much to complain about except that I was afraid I'd get carpal tunnel (spelling?) from all the spacebar mashing.  Have they done anything different with it? 

Auto-firing of space weapons by designating which weapsons to fire automatically was implemented a long time back. You no longer have to "mash" that space bar. Hit it once and just designate targets as you go and select "powers" or steer you ship for the best shot. Much more "Trek-like". 

5) Inside Your Starship - I remember them talking about being able to change views and explore your own starship and customize it.  They also talked about other people going inside your ship as well.  This was never implemented, although at the time you could atleast pick different styles your ship's bridge looked like so I was assuming they were working on that.  Have they followed through?

You can now choose the type of ship interior you want. You can now visit not only your bridge and ready-room but also the crew deck and engineering. Included is a sort of 10 Forward mess hall and sick bay. Future adds are going to a shuttle bay to launch your shuttle or change ships.

I think these are the main things that come to mind.  I hope you guys can help me make a decision whether to pick it back up again or not.  Thanks ahead of time for your responses!

See above.

Let's party like it is 1863!

@Gruug

So it seems like they are slowly but surely turning it into the game many of us envisioned to begin with.  I think I've decided to go ahead and get my STO fix and try it out again.  Atleast for a month - and probably do that every so often until the big things to sell me into the game are implemented.  Thanks for the response!

• madrugamadruga Member Posts: 226

5) Inside Your Starship - I remember them talking about being able to change views and explore your own starship and customize it. They also talked about other people going inside your ship as well. This was never implemented, although at the time you could atleast pick different styles your ship's bridge looked like so I was assuming they were working on that. Have they followed through?

You can now choose the type of ship interior you want. You can now visit not only your bridge and ready-room but also the crew deck and engineering. Included is a sort of 10 Forward mess hall and sick bay. Future adds are going to a shuttle bay to launch your shuttle or change ships.

=================================================================================================

This is already implemented in Season 4. You can lunch you delta flyer from your main ship, shuttles also has bridge now and you can switch back, making you in route ship / shuttle changes not needing going to starbase anymore. You have also accolade and trophies to display inside your ship.

-----------------
    Oh well !

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

U Mad?

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

... they never change, from month to month the pros and cons remain basicaly the same.

That's not True!

They update the C-store all the time, with new pajama uniforms from Trek episodes no one cares about!

In fact they got two, TWO different color horta in the store right now each 3 Dollars cash!!!

Wooo C-STORE!!! Who cares about updating Klingons, and other races when you got...

MEGA C-STORE ONLINE

http://www.startrekonline.com/store

BOW YO HEAD!!!!!

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

@ madruga

How can you launch/switch from Starship to shuttle? I heard the dev team were working on it but didnt know it was in the game yet?

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by djvapid

Got the urge myself so i think i can answer your questions:

1) Feature episodes have maps that are downright huge, too huge for my taste already. Standard mission wise i have not seen anything special, but both feature episodes and some foundry missions are downright amazing. Especially the foundry missions, some very talented people at work there. Can be hard to find the good ones though but luckily there are enough podcasts putting out the word about good ones.

2) The travel itself has not changed much, the "landscape" though is alot prettier to look at. The grid for example is gone, but the concept of sectors is not yet gone.

3) This was fixed in season 4, i didn't do that many ground missions since its launch but the annoying reaction delay on powers and things seems to be gone, same for glitches like playing an animation without actually doing anything. Also it got alot more responsive in all modes(old ground, new ground and space). 

The old ground combat is dead and gone btw. They increased damage of weapons and lowered shieldstrength even in rpg mode(the old groundcombat mode), so even there groundcombat feels alot faster. My Boffs are actually killing things now, quite quickly even. Feels alot more trek this way, short of a adapted borg you didn't really see people get phasored dozens of times till they finally drop.

4) Carpal tunnel is finally gone. You can set as many weapons to autofire as you want now by simply rightclicking them. In groundcombat you can enable autofire for your primary attack aswell btw, though i feel there is little need for it now.

5) Several things here, yes you can invite people to your ship now and have several locations you can go too. The only location you can do anything though is your ready room, it has a terminal that enables you to replay missions(featured episodes) for rewards(that scale). Its one of the primary ways of leveling a klingon still so i should know ...

All in all it got remarkably better, actually showing promising growth in all areas. Though if you are on the fence i would advice to wait till Season 5, if past improvements continue as they did STO might be a very nice MMO around the 2-3 year anniversery even if you care nothing for the IP. Though i definitly do not regret getting back to it now either.