Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me, or has Archeage's hype died down lately?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I dont see much talk about Archeage anymore. Even after the massive interview. whats going on? Did a new massive bummer of bad news recently come out that turn lots of heads or something?

what was it?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

If the game stands on its own merits and provides a quality and solid experience then hype is useless, the game will speak for itself not its advertising and marketing, word of mouth is still by far the best advertising you can do, its killed or praised many MMOs.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

there hasnt been an E3 or anything since like forever, games always die down after that.  Next beta phase the hype will pick back up

although personally Im done with all hype

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

archeage is still  so far away in terms of being playable in the west its kinda useless to downtalk it right now, why would anyone do that when they got SW:ToR and GW2 to  poo upon currently ;)

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Archeage is a long long way from releasing in the west,  two or three years at best.  Hard to keep hype up for that long.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Well a while back they had the closed beta with no NDA so there was a flood of information about the game and tons of new videos to watch. Now we just have an interview that didn't really provide any information we didn't already know.

I'm thinking once they have another beta and we get a new influx of information and videos the hype will skyrocket back up again. Oh and the whole this game isn't gonna release forever has something to do with it too.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The game just isn't in the shape to get much hyped about yet. Most people are more interested in the games that will release the next 12 months.

It is not at all unlikely that CCPs World of darkness online will release before it, and the hype for that game havn't even started yet (I think it will late this year or next year when we finally get to see some gameplay), I have a feeling that game will get a lot more hype than any Asian game no matter what.

Also people are a bit suspicious about Korean games, Aion and L2 stirred up a lot of hopes here only to end in rather few players, any Korean game will have to prove itself before it wins the heart of the western players on this forum.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

They can't win.  Post too much and it's overhyped, not enough OMG the game is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I got hyped about it when i saw the first videos but that hype waned into quietly waiting after reading the same things over and over on here by SWG types that they wanted in the game. There are only so many games and years those same things can be said before you start going bald. The discussion on these forums about this type of game is just recycled.

• RomtimRomtim Member Posts: 175

Originally posted by stayontarget

Archeage is a long long way from releasing in the west,  two or three years at best.  Hard to keep hype up for that long.

Source - Nostradamus?

The official dates of Korean release are q4 2011 - q1 2012. The official dates of EU/NA release are in the next 6 months after the Korean release. The Japanese and Chinese release are scheduled on around Q2 2012.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by Romtim

Originally posted by stayontarget

Source - Nostradamus?

The official dates of Korean release are q4 2011 - q1 2012. The official dates of EU/NA release are in the next 6 months after the Korean release. The Japanese and Chinese release are scheduled on around Q2 2012.

There are no official NA dates, and it certainly won't be 6 months after Korean release seeing as it isn't even being translated yet or has a publisher to do that. Looking at the history of game translating it generally takes a year so it seems.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by waynejr2

http://www.archeage.com/contents/gameinfos/world/24

Translate?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by marinrider

Originally posted by waynejr2

http://www.archeage.com/contents/gameinfos/world/24

Translate?

+1

sorry, but of all the languages in the world offered to the majority of young westerners in their private and public educational instutitions, Korean is most certainly not at the top of the list.  wish that were different, for world peace and fairness and harmony and all, but thats the way it is.

as for hype, for me personally, im not looking forward to ffa pvp destroying my crops and such, nor am i looking forward to the labor point system. 

don't misunderstand me i enjoy the thrill of a good pvp night, often enough, that ive been up all night doing just that. i remember the incredible 3 day battle i had in a game which allowed flagging for pvp if one desired. but did not force it upon people. many non pvp'rs joined in simply for the fun of defending against this siege or helping in taking down this factional structure. ffa pvp? not by a long shot, instead it was about choice.(in fact ive a guardian on the AoC BnG server that im working on right now.) however, if there are not going to be options in ArcheAge game mechanics or a choice of servers, then im not interested.

secondly, while i love and still have hope for FFXIV, their fatigue system (read labor points in ArcheAge) has to be dramatically altered or dropped entirely. its been one of the larger complaints about FFXIV for a while now and the devs are working to change it.

some of us just enjoy other things and dont want to be limited by either a flawed game mechanic, or barring that to spend hours building something only to have it torn down in moments at another player's whim. im not playing a game to provide others with a 'gaming challenge' or to be someone else's npc for the majority of my game time.

again, don't misunderstand me: not having ffa servers would be a mistake, just as serious as not having pve servers. in fact not offering the option of pvp at all would be an even larger mistake. and i think various games that have chosen one route over the other have shown this to us enough times to make the point.

i want gameplay that provides *options* not less, but more. and these 2 things have basically killed my interest in this game itself because they currently restrict options, not enhance them.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse