Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG Last wow straw for me....

So i havent played in like 6 months. I was emailed a 7 day trial to try the new patch. When i logged in i saw people running around with Balloons attached to them. I was like WTF!  Has this game really come to this? all this fluff for the little kids. I just dont get it.

Balloons really in this type of a game? This game and all of its catering to the 10 year olds is not for me. Thank God it was a 7 day trial.

Comments

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

lol come on man, balloons are cool. :P

Even defenders of the world need to sit back and hold a balloon here and there.

hahaha, I love this post though.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by headcold69

So i havent played in like 6 months. I was email a 7 day trail to try th new patch. When i logged in i saw people running around with Balloons attached to them. I was like WTF!  Has this game really come to this? all this fluff for the little kids. I just dont get it.

Balloons really in this type of a game? This game and all of its catering to the 10 year olds is not for me. Thank God it was a 7 day trial.

Maybe it was pigs bladders with air in them?

Really, this was your last straw? Wow is filled with stuff like motorcycles and space aliens, one would think there are worse stuff than balloons that at least are made with rubber, a natural material.

• headcold69headcold69 Member Posts: 8

lol I guess if it was floating condoms that would have been better.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Anyone remember Ballon Fight for the NES?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

So i havent played in like 6 months. I was emailed a 7 day trial to try the new patch. When i logged in i saw people running around with Balloons attached to them. I was like WTF!  Has this game really come to this? all this fluff for the little kids. I just dont get it.

It's a video game. They are supposed to be fun. You're too cool for balloons now? I think somebody thinks they are too cool for school. Go play a flight simulator if you want realism.

Its true I am to cool for balloons.  Wont be long and Smurfs will be introduced into the game as the next playable race.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

I can understand where the OP is coming from.

*comforts the OP and shows him to the light that is GW2*

Its true I am to cool for balloons.  Wont be long and Smurfs will be introduced into the game as the next playable race.

Reminds me of Frogloks in Everquest.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

At first I was going to say I agreed with you, but then realized a few years back we were given Snowball Launchers for our ships in EVE.

I still have the launchers in my hangers along with  a pile of "melted snowballs"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Tan extravagante.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by helthros

It's a video game. They are supposed to be fun. You're too cool for balloons now? I think somebody thinks they are too cool for school. Go play a flight simulator if you want realism.

It's an issue of immersion, not realism.

I completely get the OPs issue, his issue with WoW is one of the many issues with WoW. It's too silly for me. Yes WoW is a game, but it's a game that is supposed to be set in a wartorn world where several factions, two of which are the horde and alliance, are vying for control. A lot of the holiday events and other such content are out of place silliness. Viewed as light hearted fun for some people, just plain stupid by others.

Personally I prefer to log into an MMO that has a more serious atmosphere than to feel like I'm logging into a chucky cheese party. But hey, that's just me.

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by helthros

It's an issue of immersion, not realism.

I completely get the OPs issue, his issue with WoW is one of the many issues with WoW. It's too silly for me. Yes WoW is a game, but it's a game that is supposed to be set in a wartorn world where several factions, two of which are the horde and alliance, are vying for control. A lot of the holiday events and other such content are out of place silliness. Viewed as light hearted fun for some people, just plain stupid by others.

Personally I prefer to log into an MMO that has a more serious atmosphere than to feel like I'm logging into a chucky cheese party. But hey, that's just me.

That is my feelings summed up in a nut shell.  Thank you

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Kyleran

At first I was going to say I agreed with you, but then realized a few years back we were given Snowball Launchers for our ships in EVE.

I still have the launchers in my hangers along with  a pile of "melted snowballs"

Wait, how do melted snowballs pile?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DrumsDrums Member Posts: 32

They already are a playable race.  They just haven't devolved yet, they still have hooves and tentacles and are larger than they will be many many years from the current year the game is in.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Kyleran

Wait, how do melted snowballs pile?

In a bucket.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

as bad as balloons may be at least this never happened to your game....

• meissner61meissner61 Member Posts: 7

"This type of game" ? This isnt age of conan - WoW has always been a relaxed Epic rpg with lots of humour in it.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Hmm, if this was your last straw then you were expecting World of Warcraft to not have a light side to it? I mean the game itself wasn't ever designed to be a gritty realistic action game, it was a lighthearted MMO that catered to hardcores and casuals alike. If you pay attention to quests, they tend to have quite a bit of humour in them. So people with balloons bothers you? Go play AoC or DF if that is what ruins your game.

Originally posted by Panther2103

Hmm, if this was your last straw then you were expecting World of Warcraft to not have a light side to it? I mean the game itself wasn't ever designed to be a gritty realistic action game, it was a lighthearted MMO that catered to hardcores and casuals alike. If you pay attention to quests, they tend to have quite a bit of humour in them. So people with balloons bothers you? Go play AoC or DF if that is what ruins your game.

I would argue that this was the original developers' intent. Warcraft (RTS) in a virtual world.

• meissner61meissner61 Member Posts: 7

Even the RTS was never gritty - it always had an exxagerated style

Originally posted by meissner61

"This type of game" ? This isnt age of conan - WoW has always been a relaxed Epic rpg with lots of humour in it.

The Warcraft franchise has always had some light hearted elementals to it, but they typically weren't so in your face or as numerous, you usually had to go out of your way to find an easter egg. Even WoW when it started, yes there were eastereggs, but again, they weren't so in your face or as numerous. The few silly things in the game were relatively easy to ignore.

More an more however, WoW adds more and more content and features that are just plain immature, and you can't avoid a lot of it now. Take the Mohawk grenades for example. I'm sure some people thought them fun or funny. Me personally, I found them pretty immersion breaking, and well, just plain annoying to say the least.

It's not necessarily a matter of "it's just a game, don't take it so seriously". Yeah, it's a game, but that's not the point. It's the type of game it's aiming to be, or rather, not aiming to be. I get why Blizzard adds stuff like this, I really do. It's to cater to the more immature gamers. Some people like their MMOs to be set in a more immersive world, and not feel like a carnival side show.

That doesn't necessarily make WoW a worse game overall, but it does give me one more reason like WoW less than I use to.

Originally posted by meissner61

Even the RTS was never gritty - it always had an exxagerated style

Then you've obviously never played the original Warcraft.

The furthest extent of "silly" in the game was the amusing voice overs if you kept clicking on the same unit. Beyond that, the entire game was the poster child of gritty.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Originally posted by Palebane

I would argue that this was the original developers' intent. Warcraft (RTS) in a virtual world.

I don't think it was meant to be an action game that was realistic in any way possible. I meant more of the generalization that it is way more light hearted and "fun" feeling than games like AoC or DF. You see balloons in wow, you see boobs in AoC.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I don't think it was meant to be an action game that was realistic in any way possible. I meant more of the generalization that it is way more light hearted and "fun" feeling than games like AoC or DF. You see balloons in wow, you see boobs in AoC.

I declare AoC the winner.

The difference being that bare chested ladies fits the whole barbarian theme, where as balloons doesn't quite fit into the whole "two factions battle for dominance" theme that WoW is supposed to have.