Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO silently converted to F2P?

2»

Comments

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by neorandom

the real question is, if it goes ftp, what do the lifetime subbers get, better be something good to make up for the lack of free play time (like 15$ worth of cash shop credit per month ect)

$15 credit a month just for having a lifetime sub? LOL don't hold your breath.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by bstiff

the real question is, if it goes ftp, what do the lifetime subbers get, better be something good to make up for the lack of free play time (like 15$ worth of cash shop credit per month ect)

They already said that they were looking at a system like LOTRO and D&D (Turbine) uses so you can bet they will get some free cash shop points.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , Free Trek Online , oh well, it was a fun journey while it lasted.  F2P = doomed , especially after all the failed attempts at making a Star Trek game.

Just goes to show that I will never play another Cryptic game again.  What a joke. :P

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

They already said that they were looking at a system like LOTRO and D&D (Turbine) uses so you can bet they will get some free cash shop points.

was that before or after they claimed sto would never go f2p?

• jakfoxjakfox Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Karahandras
    Just out of mild curiosity, if it does go f2p how bad a cash shop model do you all think it will be(considering this is pwi)?

I wouldn't mind spending money in the cash shop if I hadn't already given them a monthly subscription fee, and I won't return to the game until it goes F2P. To many charges with not enough content is the problem with this game, and it's going the same way Star Wars Galaxies did. There's no real point to playing the KDF. No real show of open world PVP or star trek content, but the C-store gets updates almost bi-weekly. Half a game is not worth 15/mo and the updates continue to un-impress and come too slowly.

I'd rather spend $15/mo in the cash shop getting items I want rather then spend it just to be unimpressed by what's going on in game.

PS- STO needs a trial.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

was that before or after they claimed sto would never go f2p?

When did they say that?  First I've heard of it. 

A good while back they took Champions to a F2P model.  They said then depending on how well that model did for Champions would depend on whether or not they made Star Trek Online F2P.  Basically at the time they were leaving the idea open.  Since then Ive never seen another bit of info about it.  Even a google search just yeilds stuff posted back at that time.  Nothing else (at least that I could find). 

Regardless, Cryptic got bought out by a new publisher.  So whatever they said in the past probably hardly matters now anyways. 

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Omali

Originally posted by sookster54

With PWI... yes I see F2P happening, probably by 2012. I got the CE out of a bargain bin for like $14 last year so I may pop in and out if it goes F2P.

I've seen it at Gamestop for $7.99. It was actually cheaper than the copy of Dark age of Camelot they still had on the shelf.

$2.99 on Steam.

• games72games72 Member Posts: 31

I'm one of those that recently added to the population, but I'm not staying.  I saw it for $15 and said what the hell I'll try it.  The tutorial and first bit of the game was way better than I expected.  Then I looked at the cash shop was really turned off.  I knew it had a cash shop but after learning the game a bit I was surprised they charge a $15/month sub with so much of the cool "Star Trek" stuff only available through the cash shop/C-Store.  If you're a Star Trek fan that really likes one of the series/movies and know the look and feel, then you have to pony up to feel Star Treky in this game.

Ironic part is I am planning to use my "Atari" Tokens on the Champions Online C-Store since my tokens are good there and that game is free.  Though maybe I'll sit on them a bit to see if STO goes free.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Nevermind.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

It is the demo, not secret f2p change.